Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here’s the illegal touching rule on scrimmage kicks (e.g. punts)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 701

Here’s the illegal touching rule on scrimmage kicks (e.g. punts)

Nov 12, 2018, 10:31 AM

NCAA Approved ruling 6-3-1

“ARTICLE 2. Beyond the Neutral Zone

No inbounds player of the kicking team shall touch a scrimmage kick that has crossed the neutral zone before it touches an opponent. This is illegal touching, a violation that, when the ball becomes dead, gives the receiving team the privilege of taking the ball at the spot of the violation (Exception: Rule 6-3-4) (A.R. 2-12-2:I) (A.R. 6-3-2:I).

This privilege is cancelled if there is an accepted penalty for a live-ball foul by either team (A.R. 6-3-2:I-IV) (A.R. 6-3-11:I-III).

The privilege is cancelled if there are offsetting fouls.

Illegal touching on a try, in extra periods, or in Team A’s end zone is ignored.“

———————

Here’s an excerpt from an article (albeit concerning an NFL game, but the rule still applies).

“It means that once the kicking team has been the first to touch the kick (intentionally or not..the kicking team is responsible to know where they are in relation to the ball and the returner), then the receiving team can do anything they want...except foul...and always come back to the spot of illegal touching..or have the choice of spots of illegal touching if there are more than one. Even if the receiving team picks up the ball, runs 80 yards, fumbles and the kicking team returns it for a touchdown, the ball is going to come back to the spot of illegal touching and be the receiving team's ball 1st and 10. An accepted foul by either team cancels the spot of illegal touching, that is why the officials will continue to officiate the play as if the touching had not occured i.e. signal possession for the kicking team if the receiving team muffs or fumbles the ball after the illegal touch. If the illegal touch occurs after the ball has broken the plane of the goal line, the illegal touching spot will be the 20 yard line (touchback). That is why the kicking team tries to bat it back before it breaks the plane.”

——————

So it was an extremely low risk play for the BC returner to touch it after the illegal touch violation. The only way BC doesn’t retain the ball even if he fumbled it back to the kicking team was if there were a foul committed by BC during the rest of the live play.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ooooo!!!!

Nov 12, 2018, 10:38 AM

It all makes sense now. I don't like that my Tigers gave up a special teams TD and now I need to pray for forgiveness for some very, very, very unkind thoughts towards certain black and white clad children of God.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here’s the illegal touching rule on scrimmage kicks (e.g. punts)

Nov 12, 2018, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the post- makes sense now. Not my most favorite rule.... but not going to focus on it either as there are worse.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 701
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic