Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here we go again...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Here we go again...

Nov 18, 2018, 12:15 PM

Last year the SEC got two teams in the CFP. This year the ACC will get two teams in the CFP. Yes, Notre Dame is in the ACC. Anyway you slice it they have a contractual agreement with only one conference the ACC. All their other contracts are with individual schools and networks.
This will bring up all kinds of banter that more teams should be in the playoff. That is bunk. Teams should also never play each other more than once in a season. As soon as teams play more than once it widens the gap on who could of beat whom. You get one shot at it. Sure it might be because it was early in the season. Or because now your roster is much different, but that will be the same for everyone.
The CFP is not about finding the four best teams, it is about finding the four best teams from the most representative pool. Which in this case is conferences. If one conference sends two teams they should automatically be seeded against one another. Or better yet the conferences should be restructured every year based off the previous years results to provide the best parity. Your season should be the play in for admission into a conference especially for teams like UCF who should be in a better conference but have absolutely no way of moving up, and teams like Rutgers and Kansas and UNC and Oregon State who should not be preventing higher quality teams from their chance.
Example: PAC 12- Eliminate the bottom 4 from the PAC 12 this year Cal, Oregon State, UCLA and Colorado and replace them with the highest ranked non P5's in the geographic region. Hypothetically Utah State, Boise State, Fresno State and North Dakota State. Next year those teams play PAC 12 schedules and the PAC 12 schools get inserted into the respective conferences the other schools came from. Compensation should also follow the team's meanining those that played into the major conference now make more and those that played out make less. They will still only be in the conference for football based on performance. They can choose what to do with their money based on their Academic Conference affiliation. So every conference will have an Academic affiliation. You will not be constrained to always replacing the bottom 4.Conference size varies from 8-16 now so in years where some conference have more disparity and non P5's are more successful then more teams switch places even if that means the size of the P5 conference changes that year. There can be no independents. The best 4 from the P5 hybrids conference championships play for the title. This gives all those teams that sustain excellence the opportunity to prove themselves and it also give teams that have not sustained excellence the motivation to get back to the big time.

Message was edited by: Hypocritease

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whitespace is my friend.***

Nov 18, 2018, 12:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Premise fail. Notre Dame is not in the ACC in football.***

Nov 18, 2018, 12:21 PM

null

Re: Premise fail. Notre Dame is not in the ACC in football.***

Nov 18, 2018, 1:10 PM

Wrong. They are contractually obligated to play 5 of their 12 games against ACC opponents. There are years they play 4 then 6 but it averages out. What other independent has a contract with one conference? None. Any other conference that is tired of being left out should dispute the ability to be in a conference but not be in a conference. They are contractually not obligated to play a conference championship. If you have a contract with a conference you are in that conference. Several tnetters are upset at ND for several reasons, but the biggest is they are getting preferential treatment and as long as this contract is recognized it opens the doors for others to say they do not want to follow the conference championship model which is the basis of the CFP selection committee.

Nov 18, 2018, 1:12 PM

lol this is quite the odd troll

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Nov 18, 2018, 1:26 PM

Wait, weren't you arguing a couple years ago that Notre Dame was in the ACC?

Nov 18, 2018, 1:50 PM

Sort of.

I laughed at the guys bragging about scheduling ND when they’re contractually obligated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Funny, they don't show up in the conference standings.

Nov 18, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Premise fail. Notre Dame is not in the ACC in football.*** ]

You should write Swofford to inform him of the omission.

http://theacc.com/standings.aspx?standings=22

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Funny, they don't show up in the conference standings.

Nov 18, 2018, 1:44 PM

I suppose you believe your local utility company is not a monopoly or that Citibank is a company from South Dakota. Just because a contract says something does not make it legitimate. Just like my examples, (all utilities are monopolies if they are the only companies providing that service to a community and yes Citibank from NYC is incorporated in SD for tax purposes). ND wrote a contract based on NBC giving them $14 million yearly to play a schedule partially dictated by NBC and guess who the ACC conference. So even though I know they are considered an independent. If I were the B1G, Big 12, or Pac 12 that keeps getting left out I may have a problem with how the CFP is conference centric (P5's ask UCF) but this loophole allows a team they has a contract with a P5 school to get in without have to abide by the same rules.

Nov 18, 2018, 1:47 PM

I say we should keep all the CFP money, just like ND will.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 18, 2018, 1:55 PM

Exactly. Why would any school in the top tier of their league want to stay in their conference for football? As long as you can broker an independent Network contract and still be able to play 5 or 6 games within one conference without having to risk playing a conference championship why wouldn't you? It opens the door for more teams to be independents which allows you to keep the money which in the end undermines the CFP. Conference Championships would mean diddly. I see more schools looking for the same thing ND has unless the loophole is closed.

I mean, I'm not reading the rest when you start with "wrong"

Nov 18, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Premise fail. Notre Dame is not in the ACC in football.*** ]

I'm not wrong. I am 100%, indisputably correct. There is only one answer to the question "Is Notre Dame in the ACC for football?" and that answer is "No." If you don't accept this reality then I'm not going to entertain the rest of your wild theories.

null

Nov 18, 2018, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Premise fail. Notre Dame is not in the ACC in football.*** ]

Does this mean we play ND for the conference championship instead of Pittsburgh? Maybe you should contact the ACC office and inform them of their mistake in overlooking ND.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Premise fail. Notre Dame is not in the ACC in football.*** ]

They are not in the acc

Nov 18, 2018, 3:23 PM

Obviously you are unable to interpret.

One school in all of College athletics has a contract that does not state we are a member of your conference they have a contract that says we are a member (majority of our games must be played in your conference) but for legal purposes we are not a member of your conference.

I believe this undermines the CFP which is conference centric.

I tried to provide a solution. CFP requires being a member of a conference. Conference championships are play in games, and a way to include non P5 excellence while also motivating or relegating poor P5 performance.

Nov 18, 2018, 6:37 PM

Also based on this loophole if I were a commissioner of B1G, Big 12 or Pac12 I would make it mandatory that one of the more consistently better teams I the conference Re-wrote their contract to be independent in football only so that they could still schedule 5 or 6 conference games, make sure the rest of the schedule is winnable and do this for 5 years at a time or until rules are written to prevent it because it gives you a better shot at getting into the CFP. The money compensation for doing this will be written into the contract. Sports are money driven and by doing this every conference would have a shot at getting two teams in the way the CFP is currently setup.

Nov 18, 2018, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Premise fail. Notre Dame is not in the ACC in football.*** ]

So ND is in the ACC because they are contractually obligated to play 5 ACC teams (except in years they don't) and NEVER play for the conference championship? Under those circumstances that sounds like most other Power 5 teams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here we go again...

Nov 18, 2018, 1:55 PM

If my interpretation is correct , you should reward non-P5 teams for doing well with an easier schedule and punish P-5 teams who don't do as well with their more difficult schedules ? By flipping in the more successful Non-P5 teams and flipping out the P-5 losers during the following year ?
Well now I just got more confuse reading my own question .
But is that the gist of it ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 18, 2018, 2:10 PM

For football only: Conferences are dynamic and always changing.
So based on this year's results next year's ACC would gain Notre Dame, UCF, Temple and Troy and lose Louisville, UNC, Wake and VT.

So next year we have and 8 game conference schedule with the new schools. The four ACC schools play there conference schedules within the American and Sun Belt based on geographic placement.

This rewards the division 1 schools that have had sustained excellence with the opportunity to show they can compete in the P5 conference while giving poor performing P5 programs the time and motivation to improve their programs to get back into there conferences. You will no longer question whether UCF deserves to be in the discussion because they will have there chance just like everyone else. Also historically struggling P5 teams will either get better or be relegated to getti g beat up in non P5 conferences.

Nov 18, 2018, 2:19 PM

I won't deny that is an intriguing way of keeping things fresh , and it would certainly motivate people .
So FSU would be headed to the Sunbelt in 2019 .... I like .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 18, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quit reading after Norte Dame is in the ACC. They are not in the ACC in football, no contracts with the ACC for football

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic