Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Email to pres. Clements and Response
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

My Email to pres. Clements and Response

Apr 26, 2017, 12:17 PM

Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM
To: President Clements
Subject: Political Correctness

President Clements:

I emailed previously about the disturbing trend of political correctness at Clemson. I am a Clemson alum (1995), my oldest daughter is a 2015 grad and my second daughter is to graduate next year. So, I have a vested interest in the goings on at Clemson.

As I mentioned in my previous email, one of the things that many fellow alums have been grateful for at Clemson was the lack of a political campus. Clemson is different in many ways from other schools and the absence of political correctness on campus was noticeable. Until recently.

Several disturbing items of made the national news lately of which I am sure you are aware. Even if, as some in authority at the university have said, that there has been misreporting on some of these initiatives, there is a trend. In fact, one left-leaning outlet reported that the university caved on a particular issue because a politically-active professor threatened a hunger strike. If that is only half true, it is disturbing.

My primary main problem with this is that the university should be in the teaching business, not the political business. As you probably understand from having children yourself, I am extremely uncomfortable with people I don’t know telling my children how to think about anything, especially the political issues like LGBT "rights," same-sex marriage, immigration and the like. However, if politics on campus is unavoidable, which it evidently is, then why not teach both sides of the issues (clearly these classes or sessions are taught from a leftist perspective)? I suspect that your “social justice” classes do not include the positions and opinions of black conservatives like Sen. Tim Scott and Justice Clarence Thomas on the issue of “justice” and, say, affirmative action. Further, I suspect that classes on LGBT issues do not include good-faith consideration of biblical references to homosexuality or the thinking of the late Justice Scalia on same-sex marriage. Shouldn’t, if the purpose of these classes is to promote critical, individual thinking (as I heard recently), more than one view be considered?

I understand that political correctness on the American college campus is a big train and that I am just a barking dog standing by the track, but I want you and the others in charge at Clemson to at least think about and understand that these classes, especially if they are mandatory for the general student population and/or those running for student government positions, are not consistent with Clemson’s mission and the thinking of the vast majority of the student body, parents, donors and Clemson alumni.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dear Mr. **********,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with President Clements. He has asked me to respond to you on his behalf.

This was a case of one Clemson employee - out of thousands of Clemson employees - offering her personal observations to student government leaders on campus. Her views do not represent those of the university.

There is no plan to propose a cultural literacy test for student government leaders. It hasn't been discussed by university leadership, nor is it going to be discussed. It's not going to happen.

There really is no story here, other than one employee offering her personal views on an issue, which she clearly stated as her personal views. Any attempt to insinuate otherwise would be false.

As for the other recent stories you have seen regarding diversity training and social justice classes, you can read the university’s full statement on those issues here: http://blogs.clemson.edu/inside-clemson/inside-news/setting-the-record-straight-on-clemsons-diversity-training-efforts/

Sincerely,
Angela Nixon

ANGELA S. NIXON CLEMSON UNIVERSITY

University Relations
Director of Presidential Communication
Trustee House
101 Fort Hill St
Clemson, SC 29634
anixon@clemson.edu

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Include Biblical references to homosexuality"

Apr 26, 2017, 12:22 PM

You lost all credibility with that

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Include Biblical references to homosexuality"

Apr 26, 2017, 12:43 PM

Rats . . . was really hoping to pass your credibility test. No more posting for me!

Do you quote all of the other asinine Biblical verses too?

Apr 26, 2017, 12:47 PM

Like not eating shellfish or being able to beat your slaves?

Re: Do you quote all of the other asinine Biblical verses too?

Apr 26, 2017, 12:48 PM

Talk about losing credibility . . .

^^not in the rightly divide club.***

Apr 26, 2017, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Do you quote all of the other asinine Biblical verses too? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we're still awesome?

Apr 26, 2017, 12:23 PM

Got it. Thanks.

Typical national news outlet making it appear Clemson was a crazy place..

Apr 26, 2017, 12:29 PM

When the story seems to involve one or a few people & their opinions or agendas.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No offense, but a lot of pearl clutching in your e-mail.

Apr 26, 2017, 12:32 PM

Maybe look at the bigger picture.

Her response really put you in your place too thankfully.

Apr 26, 2017, 12:48 PM

Whole lot of gum flapping for nothing.

Re: Her response really put you in your place too thankfully.

Apr 26, 2017, 12:50 PM

Ol' Panic obviously wants these classes. Anyone that states that biblical verses are asinine is...Asinine !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Her response really put you in your place too thankfully.

Apr 26, 2017, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Her response really put you in your place too thankfully. ]

"put you in your place"

Funny

Don't expect much from President Clements

Apr 26, 2017, 1:09 PM

Even as a conservative, Chrstian, I found your email a bit ridiculous. It's college. You are going to get a few nutty, liberal professors. As long as you raised your children right, you should have no worries.

With that being said, I wouldn't expect any less from President Clements. He does not care about you or your children. I have met this man through my business. He came in as a customer. I introduced myself as a Clemson grad and he almost seemed annoyed that I was trying to converse with him. Was upset that I had to qualify him like I would any other customer. Thought that he was privy to special privledges for no cost. Really left a bad taste in my mouth and was very disappointed.

Re: My Email to pres. Clements and Response

Apr 26, 2017, 1:20 PM

I am extremely impressed. Ms. Nixon's response was polite and addressed your points fully while also being a pretty savage smackdown.

Re: My Email to pres. Clements and Response

Apr 27, 2017, 1:13 PM

Outstanding letter!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic