Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Help. Dumping Direct TV, what service, or combination of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Help. Dumping Direct TV, what service, or combination of

Aug 4, 2019, 8:52 PM

services to get ACC network, College football and most of the stuff I had on direct TV?

They've doubled my bill and their app is garbage.

I know this is germans, but if any of you guys can help, I'd appreciate it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Help. Dumping Direct TV, what service, or combination of

Aug 4, 2019, 8:59 PM

I dumped Direct for streaming. Hulu Live is who I use now. works great and will have the ACC network. Any of them only have a one month minimum so you can change. YouTubeTV and Hulu are the best I now right now. All for around $50 per month.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you! I was leaning that direction. I was thinking

Aug 4, 2019, 9:07 PM

I could go HULU and CBS and save $70/mo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give PS Vue a try

Aug 5, 2019, 8:16 AM

Has all of the sports channels that cable has. Has unlimited DVR, unlike Hulu. And you can try it for free. I've been using it for 2 years, and am very happy with it. Tried all of the others, and none of them have all of the sports channels like PSVue does.

Re: Give PS Vue a try

Aug 6, 2019, 4:24 AM

WiFied said:

Has all of the sports channels that cable has. Has unlimited DVR, unlike Hulu. And you can try it for free. I've been using it for 2 years, and am very happy with it. Tried all of the others, and none of them have all of the sports channels like PSVue does.

Direct TV Now is pretty good. I’ve been using it for a year, it has some local channels like fox, 4,7,13. I also bought a digital antenna and I get 54 channels on it. On direct tv I have all the sports channels you can imagine. FSS, FSN, ACC, ESPN1, 2, ESPN news, watch espn, SEC, Big 10, and ESPNU. In my opinion, the picture is clearer than direct tv (satellite).

Aug 5, 2019, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Help. Dumping Direct TV, what service, or combination of ]

Do hulu or YouTube have internet service, if so how is it???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. The only high speed CABLES you can

Aug 5, 2019, 7:52 AM

Get are through your phone line, through your cable line, and if your lucky, fiber line.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 4, 2019, 9:00 PM

Hulu is great!

Aug 4, 2019, 9:03 PM

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellite-cable/streaming-tv-comparison-best-channel-lineup/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2023, 4:57 PM

To get everything that you could possibly want, what two would you select, bc two of them would be cheaper for me than Spectrum, right now I'm paying them over $200 a month!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 9:10 PM

I'm getting PlayStation Vue because it has all I need for the games, including ACCN. Hulu Live doesn't offer ABC in my area. Need ABC for the big games.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Aug 5, 2019, 7:21 AM

Thanks man for the ABC heads-up. I did not catch that. It looks like Youtube offers everything I need (except Hallmark for the wife, and we can subscribe to Philo during the holiday season for that).

I love t-net. Us old guys (even techies like me) need a lot of help with the new technologies. Thanks guys for the help.

Aug 5, 2019, 9:29 AM

I just switched from Spectrum to Hulu Live and I do get ABC in the Myrtle Beach area. The only thing missing is CBS. Hallmark offers an on-demand streaming service for $4.99 a month where you can watch any movie anytime.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 9:27 PM

I've been using the combination of Xfinity Blast internet (screaming fast) and Hulu with Live. I've been very pleased with this. It's been nice with all of the worry about the ACC network on here to not sweat a bit because Hulu got ACCN quite a while ago. Plus I just like the combinations of things I can get with Hulu.

Tim? How do the TV guides work?

Aug 5, 2019, 6:31 AM

What if your TV is a flat screen but not a Smart Tv? I use Chromecast daily but you need to know when.

Re: Tim? How do the TV guides work?

Aug 5, 2019, 9:35 AM

If your TV is not a Smart TV, you can go with an Apple TV (Gen 4), Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. The Apple TV is very convenient since it is paired with SIRI so you can make voice requests for a station. The Amazon Fire Stick will do the same when paired with an Alexa device.

Message was edited by: TigerNation653®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Tim? How do the TV guides work? ]

I'm not sure in that case. I run everything through my laptop so I'm not sure how it would work with a regular TV. Good luck though. I think you will find something better than what you had.

Aug 6, 2019, 4:28 AM [ in reply to Tim? How do the TV guides work? ]

Get an Amazon fire stick if you are on a budget ($39) or I highly recommended a Nvidia Sheild streaming device($159) provided you have a tv with an HDMI port. These will replace the need for a smart TV.

Is there a single provider that offers

Aug 4, 2019, 10:06 PM

all of the channels?
ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, ESPNU, ACC, B10 and SEC networks

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Re: Is there a single provider that offers

Aug 4, 2019, 10:50 PM

I have DirecTV and I believe I get all those and will get the ACCN too

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there a single provider that offers

Aug 4, 2019, 11:52 PM

Directv, the cable provider does yes, but Directv Now does not, yet, that’s what I have and I’m still waiting til launch. If not by then I’m moving over to Hulu

Same here. I am giving DirectvNow another week

Aug 5, 2019, 7:46 AM

if they don't announce I am switching to Hulu with Live TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too.

Aug 5, 2019, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Is there a single provider that offers ]

Or I might take advantage of some other streaming services free trials that carry ACCN as needed.

YouTube TV has all of those now, except the ACCN. I am

Aug 4, 2019, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Is there a single provider that offers ]

betting they will have it by the ACCN start date. If not, I will switch to Hulu or PSVue. I hope YouTube gets ACCN, because I really like their interface, and it streams really smoothly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YouTube TV has all of those now, except the ACCN. I am

Aug 5, 2019, 1:04 AM

I hope YouTube TV gets the ACCN, too. I will gladly switch back from PS Vue. YouTube is way ahead of the other streaming services.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: YouTube TV has all of those now, except the ACCN. I am

Aug 10, 2019, 7:56 AM [ in reply to YouTube TV has all of those now, except the ACCN. I am ]

YouTube announced this week that they will carry the ACCN.

Aug 5, 2019, 12:00 AM

Are Clemson games going to be broadcast exclusively on the ACC Network or other channels as well?

I'm not clear on this.

Message was edited by: tigernation2000

Aug 5, 2019, 1:06 AM

The first game is on the ACCN, the next two are on ABC. We don't have the rest of the TV schedule yet.

--Henry David Thoreau

Get it for free...like me.

Aug 5, 2019, 1:45 AM

There are a number of sports streaming sites out there for free (loaded with ads of course...hence ad blockers).

I get every sport in the world that is live streaming from the website (like Stream2Watch for example) through my Mac and then connect to HD TV with HDMI cable and adapter.

Re: Get it for free...like me.

Aug 5, 2019, 12:44 PM

Agreed - I do pay but only $10 a month and thru my firestick and I get everything under the sun - USA channels, premiums, all the sports packages and channels (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, UFC) and even if i want to check out what other countries are watching.....$10 a month. What I plan to watch ACCN on.

Aug 5, 2019, 8:19 AM

well, 50 bucks a month gets me pretty much everything I could want to watch on Sling, though I'm not sure how it translates to television, as I don't bother owning one.

if you call them back and have this exact conversation with

Aug 5, 2019, 8:28 AM

their retention operator you'll probably get all of what you want for a third of what you're paying now.

I have to do it every year. They usually help you out if you're really willing to cancel. Just know you'll have to do it again next year. And if you get an operator who isn't willing to play ball then hang up and dial till you find one that will. Little trick... if they sound like they're calling from India..hang up and try again. Those folks stick wholeheartedly to nothing but the ###### they're given.

Re: if you call them back and have this exact conversation with

Aug 5, 2019, 8:42 AM

I've had to deal with the ones in India twice in the past 3 weeks, and they don't know anything about anything in America IMO. They sound like they're from another planet (and I have no problem understanding their words, but their words show how OTR they are).

yeah i know they're doing their jobs but they have no wiggle

Aug 5, 2019, 9:27 AM

room when it comes to discounts or programming specials. I understand that i'm also trying to ask for money off or freebies but they have hiked up that price on me in the past and have taken some extra from me as well, so...its a give and take kinda relationship.

Re: yeah i know they're doing their jobs but they have no wiggle

Aug 10, 2019, 7:51 AM

i go through this every single freaking year with SiriusXM. No, I am not paying the listed price for satellite radio. It is nearly as expensive as basic cable. They did talk me into paying something like 30 bucks more for the year, which got me Howard Stern and some other stuff (I think that package allows me to stream from my desktop if I really wanted to). Listened to Howard for about 10 minutes and could not understand how anyone finds that entertaining, so next time, I'll be downgrading the package.

Aug 5, 2019, 8:38 AM

I have YouTube tv and just looked at the packages available on Hulu live tv due to the ACCN being on there and not YT. I must say that the better deal is YouTube as for all the upgrades and add ons that you pay for on Hulu its free on YT. Unfortunately YT doesn't carry ACCN so I will have to head to the local sports bar for those Tiger games.

Do your research compare packages and see what works best for you.

One option is to pay for Hulu during football season then switch over to YT when the season is over

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2019, 8:44 AM

"One option is to pay for Hulu during football season then switch over to YT when the season is over "

Thanks. That sounds like a better plan than what I had in mind.

Aug 5, 2019, 12:10 PM

Dog just buy a fire stick, jailbreak it, and get a free IPTV app.....or...get Hulu and pay $50:month

Aug 5, 2019, 12:37 PM

Just call DTV tell them you want your services cut off on a future date, say like 2 weeks from when you call. Wait about a week call them back and say you will give them 1 more chance if they come down .
I did this last month and my bill went from 180 to 98 a month.

Aug 5, 2019, 12:46 PM

Bingo!

For the 2nd year in a row, I called Direct & canceled. Less

Aug 5, 2019, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Help. Dumping Direct TV, what service, or combination of ]

than 12 hours later, they call and beg me to come back. I told them they had to get me below $50 per month, will all the sports channels! Last year, they got down to $55 per month, plus a $300 Visa card, plus free NFL Sunday Ticket(all games). 12 month commitment, so net cost $31 per month.

At end of the 12 months, they jumped me up to $125, so I called them and canceled. They call me back 12 hours later, begging again. Got the same deal, except they said the max Visa card they could do was now $200, but get this...only a 30 day commitment!! Still got the NFL Sunday Ticket free! I will keep it through the football season!

Direct and Dish are losing so many customers, they are pretty desperate. I have their Choice package, plus the sports pack, so I get every sports channel I want.

Aug 6, 2019, 12:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Help. Dumping Direct TV, what service, or combination of ]

Winitall18 said:

Just call DTV tell them you want your services cut off on a future date, say like 2 weeks from when you call. Wait about a week call them back and say you will give them 1 more chance if they come down .
I did this last month and my bill went from 180 to 98 a month.

We did the same with Direct Tv. Our bill went from 225.00 to 125.00

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2019, 1:00 PM

Vue offers the most sports channels. That's what I will use during football season. The guide sucks, though.

Other than ACCN, what sports channels does PSVue have, that

Aug 5, 2019, 10:23 PM

YouTube TV doesn't have?

Aug 5, 2019, 1:07 PM

I just went through all of this a week ago. I went back to cable for internet. I was tempted to go back to their special bundle offer, which would have set me up with all of the basic cable packages, HBO, Epix, DVRs for 2 rooms, and Internet a 250 Mbps. The guy quoted $110 per month. I said yes. Then, after computing all of the monthly taxes & fees, the charges went up to $167. I said no, thank you.

So I subscribed to internet-only @ 100 Mbps for $54 per month and YouTube TV will come out to $57 per month. This is why I almost went for the cable bundle.

I went to Best Buy and bought my own modern / WiFi router. That was $92 and saved me the $11 monthly equipment rental from the cable company.

I'll do a trial of Hulu the week of the GA Tech game.

I may still get HBO, but would likely go through Amazon Prime. I think it's around $9 a month. My wife likes Starz, and that's even cheaper. Our T-Mobile package includes Netflix, so we have more TV than we can watch.

I was initially concerned that my Internet speed would be slow, but it's been fine with each of us streaming at the same time.

I have a Chromecast for the living room TV. I could get another for the bedroom, or just run off my laptop with an HDMI cable.

I'm happy I'll save about $50 per month.

Another thing I like about YouTube TV is the cloud DVR - seemingly unlimited storage - and each user has their own DVR! Each user can also customize their lineup to filter any channels you may not want to see.

Good luck! !

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

www.blueridgedtv.com

Aug 5, 2019, 1:58 PM

that's who I have and I only pay $15 a month for 4000 channels

Aug 5, 2019, 2:44 PM

YoutubeTV, in my opinion, is the best of the bunch. The only downfall is they currently have not picked up the ACCN. However, if you know someone that has DirectTV and they are willing to lend you their password, you can login to the WatchESPN app and watch every Clemson game that appears on the ACCN. That is what I am doing until (hopefully) YoutubeTV picks up the ACCN.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic