Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

TNET: Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks

Nov 25, 2018, 1:35 AM

Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks

Embarrassed, disappointed and disgusted. Those were the words and obviously frustrated Brent Venables used when he described Saturday’s defensive performance and his coaching, in particular. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks

Nov 25, 2018, 2:37 AM

The 1 thing that was really shocking to me is our defensive line was unable to get any real pressure on Bentley consistently. We made him look like Dan Marino. Over 500 yrds Passing(really?) Usc o-line is average at best. Defensive backfield was embarrassing to say the least. A lot of room for improvement moving forward to the playoffs. Don’t even want even think what a great offense could do to our secondary right now??.

Re: TNET: Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks

Nov 25, 2018, 6:24 AM

Bentley was getting rid of the ball fairly quickly to wide open busted coverages. That was a factor why the DL wasn't getting to him.

Nov 25, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks ]

EXACTLY RIGHT

Nov 25, 2018, 3:24 AM

For the last few weeks, we have given our upcoming opponents a blue print of how to beat us; forget running the ball against us because you can't. Just line up quickly and throw the ball. The slant has killed us all year and Duke's QB looked all-world against us last week. Tonight Bentley carved us up for 500 plus hitting guys running wild and wide freaking open in the middle of the field. He didn't need to be accurate because his receivers were totally alone in space. Our D looks confused more often than not waiting for signals to come in and anyone can see that our secondary is more than an Achilles heel right now. Our weaknesses are evident and they need to be fixed and fixed fast. Coach V is THE man but he better get his guys coached up in a hurry. If Bentley hangs 500 on us, imagine what Tua could do. It's Championship time. 12 down, 3 to go!! Come on Tigers, bring it home!!!!

The whole 'Blueprint to beat us' is the

Nov 25, 2018, 7:03 AM

Lamest freakin' comment one can make. Every game is potentially a 'blueprint'...it's why film is watched. Builders use blueprints, but buildings tumble. Engineers use blueprints, but bridges fall down. A blueprint minus proper execution is simply a piece of paper. The games aren't freakin' X-Box with a reset button!

There were three clear realities last night:
1. The 'birds' couldn't stop gas from being passed
2. The officiating was horrid and affected the spread, not that it really matters...a 'W' was had
3. Venables already mentioned the obvious...a talented defense had a bad night.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The whole 'Blueprint to beat us' is the

Nov 25, 2018, 7:14 AM

#3 There was more to #3 than “just a bad night.”

Re: The whole 'Blueprint to beat us' is the

Nov 25, 2018, 11:18 AM [ in reply to The whole 'Blueprint to beat us' is the ]

I guess when all else fails, blame the refs.

The refs had nothing to do with those long (and quick) touchdown the fried chickens got.

As much as I hate to say this, but Coach V's defense, especially the secondary, is lost when it can't get pressure. It's been like that, and it wasn't just last night.

HAS NOT BEEN FOUND! WE ARE 12-0!

Nov 25, 2018, 12:04 PM [ in reply to The whole 'Blueprint to beat us' is the ]

I would not want to be Pitt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~THIS~***

Nov 25, 2018, 12:49 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks ]

EXACTLY RIGHT

Nov 26, 2018, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks ]

Dukes QB "looked all-world against us last week"? He threw for 158 yards and ran for net yards of like 12. Yes, Bentley had a great game and our secondary was horrible Sat. night, but don't throw Duke in there after BV adjusted to shut them down the rest of the way. Also, our offense sputtered early on vs. Duke. SC threw their playbook at us and had a great game plan. I agree our secondary is and has been a weakness this year. Our DL has helped take pressure off them much of the time. We couldn't get to Bentley Saturday and that's kudos to SC's plan and OL playing well. It is what it is. We still won by 21 and now have tape of what we really need to work on.

He should be

Nov 25, 2018, 7:41 AM

As should a lot of guys when they watch film today

Fix it and Beat Pitt

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should be, but

Nov 25, 2018, 7:45 AM

I believe in BV AND I believe in the senior leadership on this team. I think players usually get Sunday off, but I'll bet a large chunk of them are going to do film study today, motivated by Mr. Clemson Christian Wilkins and the other seniors that came back with one goal, one mission.

If it's fixable, we'll get it fixed, and if it's not, we still have had one of the best seasons in Clemson history. I want to be Bama on the field, but I never want to become Bama in the stands.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who chose this headline?

Nov 25, 2018, 7:52 AM

lot of better ways to balance it

FGF*

Nov 25, 2018, 12:59 PM

Nm

Nov 25, 2018, 8:23 AM

He is right very embarrassing...500 passing yards to an average QB...the two SEC schools we have played all year got close to 1000 yards passing against the defense....all the 4 stars and 5 stars dont matter when you continually let a TE go right up the middle....I counted 8 times Bentley hit the TE right in the middle and 6 times for first down....USC ran the same screen patterns, slants, and over the middle plays over and over and defense looked lost...I do believe Clemson will beat Pitt by 20 pts and then have a month off to fix the problems but last night was very bad to say the least!

Nov 25, 2018, 1:19 PM

I AGREE

Nov 25, 2018, 8:28 AM

To start, nothing much in life is better than beating SC on any Saturday in November. However, this win is the first time in my life, the Tigers have won any game by 21 points and it has a bad taste. While in the stands, I received a text from my son and his only words were "this is embarrasing". Hard to argue with him when the players and DC think the same thing.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still no mention of WHY they cannot get lined up before

Nov 25, 2018, 8:51 AM

The Ball is snapped??? It only happened about 90% of the time. It even happened after timeouts.

Nov 25, 2018, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables "disgusted" and "embarrassed" after dismal performance against Gamecocks ]

How could it not be embarrassing? Can a defensive collapse like this even be "fixed" this season? After watching this game, the Bama' folks must feel that they've received an early Christmas present. Think Saban would accept an unconditional surrender right now? Of course if Pitt trashes us, that won't be an issue.

Nov 25, 2018, 1:22 PM

SABAN IS LICKING HIS CHOPS AT THE IDEA OF PLAYING US FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP

Nov 25, 2018, 1:43 PM

SABAN IS LICKING HIS CHOPS AT THE IDEA OF PLAYING US FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP

Did you forget that Alabama gave up 31 points to an awful Arkansas team a few weeks ago? It happens. Move along coots... 5

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables correct. Also, signaling in late vs quick offense

Nov 25, 2018, 8:54 AM

hurts us. Players should be more knowledgeable. AJ Terrell played up on line and WR threw him to outside and caught it inside so secondary was backing off some since then. K Wallace continues to get picked on by offenses. Muse continues to struggle with passing plays (love him hitting on running plays though) and wiffed on interception or batting ball away on TE Pollard TD. Not having Tre Lamar hurt as he runs our defense too.

Never had answer to them bringing two lineman wide. Ferrell looked lost on what to do-He could have just blocked WR that was in front of him but never did allowing them to run free. Smart play that usually took Bryant and Ferrell out of any rush and our D line. Could a LB be over there instead? Either way all USC was one second drops and pass within 10-15 yards quickly.

If teams go all pass-would like to see Noah Johnson #14 possibly in there more. He broke up 4th down plan in back of endzone. Muse not good on pass or trying to run routes with WR. Defensive Backs cant handle bump and runs and that needs to change quickly. For some reason Simmons was being taken out on plays and personally I say he should be left in all the time. Might be getting too cute taking him out as I have not seen better come in for him.

Was it just me or did Joseph #34 look clueless all night not knowing to drop back or rush QB? Defense better improve and with Coach V I suspect they will as he has not let us down before. At least we are State Champs for 5th year in row and we did win by 21 points!!!!!!

Re: Venables correct. Also, signaling in late vs quick offense

Nov 25, 2018, 11:53 AM

I also felt like there was some discipline issues too. On several occasions, instead of just making the correct play, our secondary was looking to make the "big" play.

For instance, instead of tackling or making contact w/ a WR as they caught the ball, we had guys trying to get in front for an interception.

Also, our secondary seemed to be spending too much time watching Bentley instead of just keeping step w/ the WR. That third scar TD, we could of had Deebo in double coverage, but Muse and Wallace were both watching Bentley and allowed Deebo to bust out on his route.

i.e. I think our defense came in a bit too "cocky" looking to make ESPN highlights and let fundamentals go.

Im certainly no DC, but thats just what I saw.

Nov 25, 2018, 12:34 PM

Our D just got beat in every way, shape, or form. Thank goodness our O was able to rack up enough points to win. The thought of us playing Bama is downright scary.

Coots couldn’t run the ball, and busted

Nov 25, 2018, 1:32 PM

coverage is where most of the Coot passing yards came from.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Venables correct. Also, signaling in late vs quick offense ]

34 has looked lost in pass coverage all year.You can't get away with playing 3 safeties all year. Have to get another cb on the field its not fair to ask a 225lb safety to lock a receiver in man coverage.

Nov 25, 2018, 2:23 PM

I’ve long thought if our luck runs out this season we’ll look back and wish we had brought Shaq along a lot quicker than we have.

Nov 25, 2018, 10:14 AM

I agree with BV 100%!! GO TIGERS!!

There was one group that played really poorly

Nov 25, 2018, 11:52 AM

I stopped watching after a while because I was so disgusted. But, when you blitz from the middle of the defense, the back end has to be responsible to do their job. Our safeties played horribly. And SCar was super lucky on a couple of passes where Bentley threw blindly and we just missed breaking them up. Even so, still an epic fail. We are better than that.

Yes, "our safeties", I think they have fallen in love with

Nov 25, 2018, 12:56 PM

playing in closer and more like linebackers. I know Tanner has been playing brilliantly like that, however S.C. must have seen that in the films and taken advantage of it. It was esp. obvious when Tanner went after the ball instead of the player (87?) who went on in for the TD. Tanner loves to make picks like that, which may work closer in, but not when player is wide open down field. I think Venables will make sure the Safety coach gets that straigtened out. All in all, I think the coots did us a favor to help get ready for the QBs we will face in the playoffs!

Re: Yes, "our safeties", I think they have fallen in love with

Nov 25, 2018, 2:13 PM

A lot of the problems last night started with the linebackers playing too shallow in their coverage. For the most part they just killed us running a slot post pattern. Our inability to adjust to it was just awful.

Re: Yes, "our safeties", I think they have fallen in love with

Nov 26, 2018, 10:34 AM

I assume all of you do realize that our number one backer did not play Saturday? I know this is just one person, but the voids mentioned in the previous comment may have been better filled by Tre. Duke vs SCAR why did our D-Line not put there hands up a few times. You go back and look at the Duke game how many batted balls did the d-line have. These quick strike passes have to come out flat put your dame hands up.

Nov 25, 2018, 1:10 PM

GREAT OFFENSE !!! POOR DEFENSE !!! WE WILL NOT BEAT NOTRE DAME WITH THAT KIND OF DEFENSE ,MUCH LESS ALABAMA

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic