Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saban told it straight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Saban told it straight

Feb 7, 2019, 8:15 PM

"well, they are just running some copycat stuff that others ran against us that we hadn't practiced against"

So bottom line you had seen them before, but you didn't prepare. It showed. Lazy, entitled, defeated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can someone help me understand ? i am still scratching .....

Feb 7, 2019, 8:42 PM

my head as to exactly what he was trying to convey....that we weren't doing anything special but still were giving them fits ? can someone help me understand ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was trying to explain why the greatest team in the

Feb 7, 2019, 8:47 PM

history of world athletics was getting beat at half time, and he just wasn't willing to say "Clemson is just better, we're getting out-coached, and they're kickin' our big elephant #####."

Re: He was trying to explain why the greatest team in the

Feb 7, 2019, 10:53 PM

+1 big elephant ##### made me laugh seeing it come out of his mouth

Yeah, I wish someone would do one of those "Really bad

Feb 8, 2019, 7:29 AM

lipreading videos on Saban."

Well. the sideline reporter asked him what we were doing

Feb 7, 2019, 8:52 PM [ in reply to can someone help me understand ? i am still scratching ..... ]

and he just blurted that out. Which begs the question - did you self scout? If you knew it worked on you earlier did you think no one else would try it? When Pitt burned us on those shuttle passes two years ago, they have NEVER worked since. BV fixed that forever.

He sounded miffed that we actually planned for them and their tendancies and weaknesses. Did he think we were going to just come in vanilla, having no idea what their defensive schemes were? That's like saying I'm gonna play you in chess but only move my pawns.

He seemed offended that he got outworked and outcoached frankly.

Here's the difference and many may relate to this

Feb 7, 2019, 9:47 PM

Here's the difference and you may relate to this if you're in a company with crappy leadership.

Saban, best coach in seven star systems, has a new set of assistants every year because, ya know, he's so great.

These assistants can't question the grand-poobah of college football nor tell him he's wrong.

assistant "Coach, Mr. Saban Sir, we have some weaknesses on the edge"

best coach in seven star systems "WHOOOOO DARES QUESION HE WHO HAS BEEN ADORNED BY FINEBAUM?!?!"

assistant "uhm...nevermind..."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Which could be kinda scary...Saban will be out on a mission

Feb 8, 2019, 5:07 AM [ in reply to Well. the sideline reporter asked him what we were doing ]

This year.

It's really not.

Feb 8, 2019, 9:42 AM

Dabo is not going to let up on our opponents this year.Our coach will be on a mission to demonstrate Clemson is the team to fear.Not Alabama or Saban.

we should have taken it easy on them like the mouth

Feb 8, 2019, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Well. the sideline reporter asked him what we were doing ]

Breathers from the SEC

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: can someone help me understand ? i am still scratching .....

Feb 7, 2019, 8:54 PM [ in reply to can someone help me understand ? i am still scratching ..... ]

I think what happened was, they "Pulled a 'Bama"!!

ST

Feb 7, 2019, 9:16 PM [ in reply to can someone help me understand ? i am still scratching ..... ]

I think Saban was in a way putting on the CEO hat and throwing his assistant coaches under the ROY Bus by saying they hadn't closed holes exploited by other teams. Or maybe he was taking the blame himself, but I don't think so.

Feb 7, 2019, 10:00 PM [ in reply to can someone help me understand ? i am still scratching ..... ]

He was throwing shade towards his DC.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 8, 2019, 5:22 AM [ in reply to can someone help me understand ? i am still scratching ..... ]

Really simple. We know what they are going to run but we are powerless to stop it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban told it straight

Feb 7, 2019, 8:49 PM

Dabo and crew made Nick look .....confused, tired and just old. Nick's own words reinforced it.

He basically confirmed he can out athlete 90% of the SEC

Feb 7, 2019, 8:55 PM

and doesn't have to scheme. So when he's matched on talent, he's too lazy to fight for the edge that will deliver the win. The Eye of the Tiger, if you will.

To anyone watching BAMA highlights all year

Feb 7, 2019, 9:04 PM

it was obvious that Tua's strength was the deep ball. Not flats, not sideline stuff, not needle threading stuff...just long bombs to open receivers over and over and over. That was their highlight film every week. So BV just took the deep game from them and made them work on shorter gains. In the red zone Tua couldn't thread the needle, drop one in the back corner, and their run wasn't good enough to punch it in. So they got a lot of yards between the 20's and minimal points. Not rocket science, but Nikki was pizzed we saw it, recognized it, and he fix or change it. They were basically a one horse show this year. A very, very potent one horse show, but one horse nevertheless.

I watched 5 of Bama's games.

Feb 7, 2019, 9:51 PM

What was obvious was that he couldn't read a defense after the snap. He looked at one key player and decided whether to throw to his primary receiver or go straight to his check down man. I know chit about football and I figured if a moron like me spotted it all our coaches knew it after seeing Tua play one quarter. That's why I predicted a 17 point win of 34-17 Clemson which would feel more like we won by 30.

I didn't expect the two scores off turnovers or any missed PATs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 10:45 PM

I think he was truly at a loss for words. He was utterly baffled by what he was seeing and couldn't't think of anything intelligent to say.

Feb 7, 2019, 11:03 PM

He didn't want to admit
that He go His ### stomped !

Feb 7, 2019, 11:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban told it straight ]

I agree with the assertion that he was at a loss for words, but he wasn't baffled. nope. he knew exactly what was happening - better than most of us at the time.

Feb 7, 2019, 10:01 PM

I would like his halftime remarks to be repeated everywhere! It's flipping hilarious!

Feb 7, 2019, 10:50 PM

Remember what Dabo had to say after the Sugar Bowl last year? "We lost to a great football team and we will own that." Clearly Bama didn't want to copycat that kind of talk!

Feb 8, 2019, 6:01 AM

We were really bad to do what Citadel and Georgia did.

Feb 8, 2019, 7:56 AM

Knowing that UofSC was not going to slow up our offense, could BV have been suckering Bama by playing the defensive scheme we used against UofSC, leaving the middle open? Or did BV try something we weren't ready to cover properly?

Also, Lane Kiffin and Brian Dabol did a much better job of finding seams against our defense than Sarkesian. We didn't have many weaknesses on defense to exploit this year with the apparent adjustments in the secondary.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree with a number of these responses.

Feb 8, 2019, 7:40 AM

In no way was Saban disrespectful to Clemson with that answer. He was referring to a several of our bunch trips formations which we had no shown much of previously. Oklahoma had some success with that.

He was annoyed that they failed to fix some of their issues with those looks. UGA, I believe, used more zone to confuse Tua. We had success doing the same thing.

Saban is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and he knows that gameplanning is exploiting a weakness. He was just annoyed that he didn't prepare them well in his eyes.

Re: I disagree with a number of these responses.

Feb 8, 2019, 9:22 AM

But he said that we were copy cats.... He deserved that beat down.

He didn't wanna give credit to the Oculus so he just

Feb 8, 2019, 8:19 AM

blathered on about stuff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2019, 9:16 AM

Agreed. This is what every good coaching staff does. They whatch film to see things that have worked and things that have not worked. It’s coaching. Every good coaching staff does this. He’s was just butt hurt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic