Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baehre
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Baehre

May 21, 2019, 4:33 PM

Hearing reports that he tore his ACL yesterday in practice. Absolutely brutal to an already thin team. He was supposed to be a stud this year. *@$%

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baehre

May 21, 2019, 4:40 PM

That's tough. We need to get another big as a grad transfer now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baehre- before I saw this I was going to ask if we are

May 21, 2019, 4:46 PM

signing anymore guys. I have lost track of where we are with all the comings and goings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2019, 9:14 AM

As far as transfers, we've received commitments from:

Nick Honor (Fordham) - PG
Khavon Moore (Texas Tech) - SF
Curran Scott (Tulsa) - SG
Paul Grinde (Vassar) - PF

Honor and Moore are applying for hardship waivers to play immediately. Moore has a pretty good shot, in my opinion. Honor's is more of a long-shot. If the waivers are not granted, they will have to sit this season.

Scott is a grad transfer. He'll play immediately.

Grinde is a grad transfer who will be a walk-on. He is eligible immediately.

May 23, 2019, 9:54 AM

Who is Nick Grinde? Explain his situation. My understanding is that Vassar is a pretty mediocre D3 basketball program.

May 24, 2019, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Baehre- before I saw this I was going to ask if we are ]

Honor will be the toughest to get a waiver since he is simply transferring after a really good FR year to a higher level school. Doesn't hurt to try but no change to HC, not really transferring that close to home. Not alot to hang a waiver on.

Moore has a chance at a waiver since he broke his leg his Sr yr of HS and basically rehabbed almost all FR year at TX Tech. Coming closer to home might help him get a waiver. Keep in mind he is supposed to be 100% healed but really hasn't played competitively since mid-way through his SR yr of HS. He has a big upside, but he is also likely to be rusty.

I'm not as big on Baehre as some (though his injury news is awful). Best case scenario for me was he could replace Skara's production. That is less likely after the injury. His numbers both overall and in conference as a Soph were quite consistent with one exception - 3-pt shooting. In OOC he was 13-27 from 3-pt range, in conference play he was 12-40.

May 24, 2019, 4:07 PM

Baehre is much better than Skara offensively. Not even close.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's probably not close to Skara defensively though, is he??***

May 24, 2019, 6:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baehre is totally unproven

May 24, 2019, 8:29 PM

but he was going to have a key role being he's one of only 2 scholarship players over 6'9. Now, if that happens, it's probably early 2020 before he can have any kind of impact.

The guy averaged 7 ppg at Asheville, and he's 23. His injury hurts us a lot however, whatever that says about next season

Re: Baehre is totally unproven

May 24, 2019, 8:38 PM

He wasn't unproven. I watched him at UNCA, he was very good and folks there knew he would transfer. UNCA was a guard trigger-happy team so don't discount his stats. He could stretch the flow, shot 37% from 3pt.

He had a double-double against USC

He averaged 7 ppg in the Big South

May 24, 2019, 10:32 PM

Not exactly a haven for big men. If he were that much better than the guys he was playing against, guard happy or not, they're getting him the ball more than averaging 7 ppg.

Has he improved? Hopefully, but now he'll be coming off a major injury not having played in a game for nearly two years. That's not a scenario that indicates a major impact

Re: Baehre is totally unproven

May 25, 2019, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Baehre is totally unproven ]

You can't base it all on one game.
He had a fantastic game against SC-W in the NIT - 28 pts, 14 rbs in a 2OT loss. That was his best game as a collegiate player.
He had 2 other double-doubles on the year and managed to score in double figures 10 times total.

in his other games against higher level teams he had
0 pts, 4 rbs against Rhode Island,
5 pts, 2 rbs against Vandy
9 pts, 5 rbs against Clemson
4 pts, 2 rbs against St. Marys.

The game before the USC game he had 2 pts and 2 rbs against Liberty.
He also only shot 30% from three in conference games, suggesting teams that had the time to really scout and prepare were able to defend his looks better.
That SC game is just a huge outlier and it is unreasonable to expect anywhere close to that. That one game raised his scoring avg over 1/2 point for the season and was responsible for over 11.5% of his total points scored for the year.

I generally expect a players stats to go down some as they move up in conference level since you have to bring your A game more often and the players you are playing against are more talented.

On the season last year Skara avg 7.6 ppg and 4.2 rpg and shot 36.3% from three. if Baehre could match that it would be a huge win. Also note that in ACC games Skara avg 5.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg and shot 31.8% from three.

Given Baehre's numbers overall and in conference games I wouldn't expect him to provide much more than that. His past play would suggest to me if you could get 7 and 4 out of him as an avg in ACC play you should take that and be thrilled.

His basketball history would suggest someone who is a solid to good mid-major player with the potential to be a role player at a high major program.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic