Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dwight Clark Clemson Memory
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Dwight Clark Clemson Memory

Jun 4, 2018, 8:24 PM

Am sure sorry to hear of his passing!

A lot of people forget or don't even realize the part he played in making our "The Catch" happen when we beat South Carolina in W-B. Sure, Jerry Butler made "The Catch" but on the play right before that DC made a tough catch from Steve Fuller right between two Carolina DBs. That pass could have gone incomplete or been intercepted as I remember.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dwight Clark Clemson Memory

Jun 4, 2018, 8:38 PM

I shall never forget that game in Columbia when Jerry Butler made the unbelievable catch from Steve Fuller to win the game. I finished Clemson in 1979 so I was fortunate to be there for all the years of having Butler, Fuller, and Clark Plus many other great ball players. I’ll never forget my junior year when we went 8-2-1 after going 2-9 and 3-6-2 my freshman and sophomore years. Dwight Clark was certainly a household name for me! Hard to believe he is gone, but AL S is one very very cruel disease. I lost a dear high school friend to the disease when he was just 51. Thoughts and prayers are with Dwight’s wife and his family.

Jun 4, 2018, 8:42 PM

I was there and remember it well. I stood under the goal post on the fairground end until the dirtpeckers scored to go ahead. Then I ran under the stands to the other end zone because we were parked on that end. I was in the corner right where Butler made THE CATCH. Rick Weddington made a catch. Dwight Clark made a catch. Then Jerry Butlers catch.

He also made a big catch and run for a TD against Maryland

Jun 4, 2018, 8:52 PM

In College Park the year after to secure the first ACC championship in many years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He also made a big catch and run for a TD against Maryland

Jun 4, 2018, 9:00 PM

I remember that well also. I went to Maryland a bunch but didn't make that trip. Listened to Jim Phillips call that game. I remember it was very cold and windy in College Park on that day.

Yep. I was listening to that one on the radio. Nope,

Jun 4, 2018, 9:44 PM

youngsters, not even a game to wrap up the ACC was on the TV back than. Hard to believe ain't it. But the thing I think I remember, is that Jim Phillips said on that play," Fuller, back to throw, and he's got Dwight Clark over the middle.........Silence.................................................................................................................................................................................................and the extra point is Good!".........He just stopped talking....didn't know we scored until he said the PAT was good....

Re: Yep. I was listening to that one on the radio. Nope,

Jun 5, 2018, 8:36 AM

I was at the game, but my dad told me the same thing when I got back. He didn't know what had happened. Said Jim added "He's off the races!"...then the silence.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: He also made a big catch and run for a TD against Maryland ]

I was at that game. One of the best ever but little film exists of it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2018, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: He also made a big catch and run for a TD against Maryland ]

You are so right - BIG play

God Bless

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 9:43 PM [ in reply to He also made a big catch and run for a TD against Maryland ]

It was actually a relatively short pass and he took it to the house after a long run. Was that the game were a large screen was set up in Littlejohn and there were thousands in attendance? There were volunteer cheer leaders, etc.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 11:23 PM

Back in the day, he also had a beautiful girlfriend from Sumter High and Clemson. I believe she won Miss Universe. She and Dwight never married.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both he and Butler made long runs after the catch for TDs***

Jun 4, 2018, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: He also made a big catch and run for a TD against Maryland ]

Jun 4, 2018, 8:57 PM

my best one....first ever tiger road trip for me..1978 @ Maryland for ACC championship. Fuller vs Eiason (sp) Boomer. Late in 4th quarter, Fuller hits Clark on a crossing route , Dwight takes it in stride and outruns defender for 45 yd TD!! 21 - 14 TIGERS!! SWEET RIDE HOME!!

Jun 4, 2018, 9:14 PM

Eiason was at Maryland in 1981, 1982 and 1983. Not 1978.

Jun 4, 2018, 9:24 PM

Balloon record. 1983 vs Maryland at home. Boomer was their QB.

Jun 5, 2018, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Dwight Clark Clemson Memory ]

Well your memory wasn't that great. Tim O'Hare was the Maryland QB and Clark ran for 62 yards. :)

Jun 4, 2018, 9:37 PM

The 1979 Gator Bowl, brought to you by...Woody Hayes.... Dwight went over the middle and an Ohio State linebacker popped him and broke his collarbone. When they helped him up, he looked over, spotted the guy, smiled and said (i lip read good ) "It was you?..I'm ok"... and of course, he was famous for dating Miss Clemson..Miss Universe, Shawn Weatherly..What a guy!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Played many a game of pinball on the Big Indian machine

Jun 4, 2018, 9:41 PM

with him and Steve Fuller at Mac's. Was a fantastic guy and was always extremely nice to me, just "Joe Nobody".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 9:54 PM

Two memories-

Ran into him during intramural basketball, we had similar injuries to our shoulders, he took the time to tell me what he had done. Genuinely nice guy! Was a fan forever!

Friend of mine and myself at a Clemson football game after Dwight had graduated. My friend had a nice camera around his neck and we were stopped by none other than Shawn Weatherly (Dwight’s then girlfriend) and I believe her Aunt. Asked us to take pictures that she could send to Dwight. Of course you know our answer. We had them developed and took them to her apartment the following week. True story.

Note- this was late seventies! NO cell phones or handy dandy picture takers! See what you guys are missing out on!

I hope upon hope that he knew Jesus and is resting with Him as I write!

Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2018, 9:22 AM

Did not know he had ALS. Huge problem for former players who played in Candlestick. I remember my Ex wanted to go to a Furman homecoming and they played Western Carolina whose coach had ALS. Put his wheelchair on a platform where he could see the field. I was on the Furman side, and could not see clearly but it looked like there was no movement or even communication during the game. Spooky. I forget the guy's name, but he too had played for the 49ers. Much higher incidence of ALS from Candlestick related players and staff than the general population. Some speculation it was caused in part by toxins in the field from the stuff they used to fertilize.

Sad stuff. I remember Dwight's "the catch" as well as his catch before "The Catch" v. the chickens, as well as the long scamper at UMD to help secure the ACC title in 78. RIP.

Re: Dwight Clark Clemson Memory - God Bless what a career

Jun 5, 2018, 9:23 AM

I will always remember that MD play because my first daughter was born that same day

God Bless

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2018, 1:20 PM

Sorry to steal your thunder m o f o

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Jun 5, 2018, 2:00 PM

haha!! ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic