Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Whatever happened to Mackenzie Alexander? He is listed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Whatever happened to Mackenzie Alexander? He is listed

Oct 28, 2018, 10:31 PM

as 2nd team, but with the starter out with an injury, it looks like a rookie (#24 Hill) is getting all of the snaps instead.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Whatever happened to Mackenzie Alexander? He is listed

Oct 28, 2018, 10:37 PM

He plays the slot, he is on the field a lot, local media here hates him. Jayron Kearse playing well, been earning more and more PT

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2018, 10:41 PM

Why does the media hate him?

Oct 28, 2018, 10:43 PM

Bad penalties at times early in his career, never seemed to recover in locals eyes

I'm pretty sure he hasn't been in on the last few series.

Oct 28, 2018, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Whatever happened to Mackenzie Alexander? He is listed ]

I just find it odd as he was a shut down corner at Clemson, and I always figured he'd be a good pro.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He only had to cover for so long with our DL***

Oct 28, 2018, 11:11 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he was dominant when he played for us

Oct 28, 2018, 11:29 PM

Him getting hurt cost us the 15-16 natty IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no he wasn't, no it didn't***

Oct 29, 2018, 5:10 PM

Re: no he wasn't, no it didn't***

Oct 29, 2018, 5:15 PM

He absolutely was dominant while he was here. He locked down half the secondary regularly.

Oct 29, 2018, 5:16 PM [ in reply to no he wasn't, no it didn't*** ]

I'm not sure how anyone could argue that he wasn't dominant in the two years he played corner for us. Even though he didn't intercept any passes, he only allowed 1 or 2 TD's in 2 years, and opposing QB's generally avoided throwing the ball in his direction.

It's possible that having a healthy Alexander and a healthy Shaq Lawson would have made the difference in the championship game. We had several blown coverages in our secondary after Alexander went down and the defense adjusted their coverage. Who's to say that we wouldn't have avoided so many blown coverages if we didn't have to change our scheme after Alexander left the game?

He wasn't going to ever cover their TE and that was where

Oct 29, 2018, 11:32 PM

the breakdowns were, and nobody mentioned Lawson

Re: He wasn't going to ever cover their TE and that was where

Oct 30, 2018, 12:51 PM

That's a fair point, but I don't think it's a simple yes or no. I'm a firm believer in the mental aspects of the game in that losing confidence after a shutdown corner goes down can affect the confidence of the entire secondary and that can lead to mistakes.

There's no way to prove either way, but I don't think you can totally dismiss the effect it had on the team.

Oct 29, 2018, 5:18 PM [ in reply to no he wasn't, no it didn't*** ]

What ????? You are nuts ??

He absolutely WAS dominant. Completely dominant

Oct 29, 2018, 5:36 PM [ in reply to no he wasn't, no it didn't*** ]

There’s no way you can say he wasn’t. And while it’s impossible to know how dearly his absence cost us in the first nat’l champ game, he sure as hell was a better option in coverage than his backup, and better than the phoned in kearse and green in that game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 11:58 PM [ in reply to no he wasn't, no it didn't*** ]

Ummm....yes he was. Lock-down. OJ Howard had a career day and we lost the Natty when Mack left the game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 6:33 AM [ in reply to no he wasn't, no it didn't*** ]

I totally disagree with CM Shack. We would have beat Bama with him. We had 2 busted coverages that went for TD's against them. Alexander would not have allowed it.

Re: Agree with you, sorry Shack

Oct 30, 2018, 10:33 AM

Corners are usually committed to WRs, so i get why you think Mack's injury didn't cause TJ and Jevon's blown coverages on the TE.

But our backup CB (in for Mack, forget which one) also blew a play vs Howard, taking an aggressive bad line on a swing pass that went for the clenching TD.

Anytime you've got secondary guys not experienced at playing together you are subject to blown coverages, especially when you run a BV attacking-style that leaves holes in the secondary to be exploited. I think that's one of the reasons we are mixing our personnel so much early in the season since then. Guys learn to communicate and coordinate better so the transition to a backup is seamless. Better to learn from blown coverages vs GASO in game #2 than Bama in game #15.

I didn't address it because you were wrong twice...First of

Oct 31, 2018, 11:48 AM

all, the play didn't go for a TD, it went for a long gain on 2nd and 13, so you are wrong about the result of the play. Secondly, it was a TE screen, Baker was clearly covering SOMEONE else and missed a tackle in the backfield when he came up, so it WASN'T even a coverage issue...it was a missed tackle...those happen, but it is ridiculous to say that is what cost us the game

They were both on the TE, who he NEVER would have matched

Oct 30, 2018, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: no he wasn't, no it didn't*** ]

up with

Re: They were both on the TE, who he NEVER would have matched

Oct 31, 2018, 10:14 AM

Except for when he did.

See the swing pass that went for Howard's last TD.

You didn't even read my comment, huh?

It didn't go for a TD though, so there's that guy and he

Oct 31, 2018, 11:50 AM

wasn't matched up with him, so you were WRONG about that TOO

Oct 30, 2018, 6:40 AM [ in reply to no he wasn't, no it didn't*** ]

Alexander was know for shutting down half the field. His low INT #'s were due to nobody throwing in his direction. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

He was one of the best CBs in college football in 2016

Oct 30, 2018, 1:28 PM [ in reply to no he wasn't, no it didn't*** ]

Passes his way were completed just 33% of the time. He was an absolute lockdown man-to-man corner in a Venables scheme that heavily relies on man coverage to the boundary.

To be honest Mack has not played well at all

Oct 28, 2018, 10:44 PM

I've watched a few Vikings games this year and last year and he gets beat frequently. He just hasn't shown the form he showed while at Clemson. The fans turned on him, but the coaches have been giving him plenty of rope since they invested such a high pick on him. Looks like they may have finally turned on him too.

That's what I'm thinking. If he can't get on the field

Oct 28, 2018, 10:48 PM

tonight, over a rookie, it doesn't look good for him in Minnesota. Hopefully he will get an opportunity elsewhere at some point.

- H. L. Mencken

From what I read it sounds like maybe he came in with some

Oct 28, 2018, 10:55 PM [ in reply to To be honest Mack has not played well at all ]

Re: From what I read it sounds like maybe he came in with some

Oct 28, 2018, 11:10 PM

Read where the coaches wanted him at nickel as a rookie, but he didn't want to play there.

Then he came in his second year looking at it as a challenge--and as a compliment, since the slot guy that a nickel guards is harder to cover than a LoS guy.

I too thought this would be his year. His work ethic since high school was extremely high. Maybe he just didn't know how much he was going to need to raise it to become a successful pro.

Re: From what I read it sounds like maybe he came in with some

Oct 28, 2018, 11:26 PM [ in reply to From what I read it sounds like maybe he came in with some ]

That surprising. I thought he was always know as a very hard worker.

Went back and found the article I read on ESPN

Oct 28, 2018, 11:39 PM

Sounds like it's all about attitude.***

Oct 28, 2018, 11:51 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Can't play on the outside***

Oct 28, 2018, 11:08 PM

Oct 28, 2018, 11:50 PM

He recovered a fumble this year - first time I have heard his name mentioned. I too thought he would be dominant. Perhaps the signing bonus got to his head.

Oct 29, 2018, 11:40 PM

Live in MN and I am not so sure he is not misplaced at the nickelback. Jaron has gotten more PT covering some TEs but he busts like he did in college at times. Really hoping they can get it together.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one gets press coverage in MN***

Oct 31, 2018, 10:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic