Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hate to say this but Bama offensive
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Hate to say this but Bama offensive

Nov 5, 2018, 4:18 AM

looks much better than previous years. No doubt but our DB's seem to be the weak link in our defense. Gotta get right!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to say this but Bama offensive

Nov 5, 2018, 5:35 AM

Clemson is ranked 17th in the nation in pass defense, 178 yards a game. Alabama is ranked 30th at 193. Tell me again how our secondary is our weak link? Now, if you want to say our 3rd string is weak against most teams 1st string offense, then ok, you might have a point. Mullen, Burrell, Fields, Muse, Simmons are all pretty good. Good enough to defend Tua and his WRs? Who knows.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You made the point, but to be specific

Nov 5, 2018, 7:38 AM

that's with us playing 72 in road games and 94 in home games.

What would our stats look like with Saban's philosophy?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Nov 5, 2018, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Hate to say this but Bama offensive ]

Technically better than that if looking at the S&P+, which has our passing defense 5th.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef

also, we sub a lot more than Bama does

Nov 5, 2018, 10:04 AM

we could probably have better stats that Michigan if we really wanted to.

The secondary is not the strength of our defense but they aren't bad. They have improved a lot since the A&M game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 5:37 AM

Tuna showed Sat. Night against LSU that pressure does get to him. He also showed that he can thread a needle with a football. Our front seven needs to be in his face all night and our secondary cannot play five yards off of their receivers. At our game Sat against Louisville, I was mortified at how our soft our secondary appeared. On one play Louisville had a receiver with no Orange jerseys around him.

Nov 5, 2018, 5:53 AM

At what point in the game are you talking about? Are you talking in the 1st quarter or the 3rd with us up by 40 or 50? You can't say one play with a WR wide open is indicative of the entire game. Finley is a 1st or 2nd round draft pick averaging over 300+ yards a game, 156 yards and 2 INTs. Bama's receivers are very very good. One game at a time. BC next. When you play as many players as we do, it's hard to get them all on same page, but Clemson does a pretty good job of it.

Message was edited by: fencebusters®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

she makes a pretty good point, as do you

Nov 5, 2018, 10:08 AM

I think our secondary played their best game at NC state. We had an aggressive game plan and broke up lots of passes.

We were in softer coverages against Louisville, we didn't seem as focused or intense as we were against NC State. (not that it mattered, offense was imposing their will)

I expect the secondary to play more like they did against NC state in the CFP.

You are correct, I forgot NC State... Finley is good***

Nov 5, 2018, 10:11 AM

Secondary was bad on Louisville's 2nd drive

Nov 5, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Hate to say this but Bama offensive ]

That was a bit of an aberration though.

Hard to judge our secondary against mediocre QBs that our D

Nov 5, 2018, 7:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Hate to say this but Bama offensive ]

line is killing... just sayin... ??

TAM and Cuse were our best tests to use and TAM was too early in season to get a feel of where we really are due to chemistry not setting in yet.

Nov 5, 2018, 6:37 AM

Yea, our DBs look terrible. After all, Bama gave up 2 fewer points(14 vs 16) to Louisville on a neutral field in week one.
But then our Offense outscored Bama by 26.

Our game with Bama will come down to mental toughness

Nov 5, 2018, 7:20 AM

and resiliency. We both match up well on O. We have a slight edge on D.

But it won’t be a blow out either way. It will come down to who can make the clutch plays in the key moments of the game. That has to happen on both sides of the ball, just like when we beat them for the natty. The D made key stops. Then DW and our receivers and tight ends and Oline gritted their teeth and willed the team to the win.

Exact same thing must happen again to beat them. And make no mistake about it, if anyone beats Bama, it will be Clemson. Going into that game, the pundits will all pick Bama too, which is just fine. ??

Little ole Clemson will have to show the world once again that there’s something in these hills!

Have faith brotha... it will be another Tiger win because to Clemson, it just means more!

Go Tigers!
????

Nov 5, 2018, 7:50 AM

That running back is a load

Nov 5, 2018, 8:06 AM

Do you even watch the games?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 8:29 AM

TUA is spectacular to say the least....

But “LSWHO” is not Clemson. Yes, they won the game, but they weren’t dominant by any means. LSU HAS NO OFFENSE thus made Alabama look sickly good.

Our Secondary will be up to the task. Unlike LSWHO and all the other teams Bama has played....

Our D Front have their backs!!

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait Till December...Tua is About Worn Out...Hurts is Broken

Nov 5, 2018, 10:28 AM

Someone needs to find who their next QB is. Clemson on the other hand has 2 QBs ready to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the simple takeaway here is that the demise

Nov 5, 2018, 10:29 AM

of the Bama defense was greatly exaggerated. Yes LSU played right into their hands as always, but this was a defense that had actually given up some yards on the ground this year and was rated as merely a top 20 unit instead of #1 or #2 where they usually reside. Shutting out LSU and holding them to 12 rushing yards on 25 carries vaulted them up to 11th in defensive S&P+ and i would be surprised if they don't continue to rise down the stretch.

My opinion of Bama now is that, by playoff time, their defense is going to be at least close to the level that it was last year and their offense is about a TD better.

I think this might end being the best Clemson team of the Dabo era, but it's going to need to be because i think Saban may also have the best team he's ever assembled (which is a scary thought).

good take, Bama's DL is going to give us all we can handle

Nov 5, 2018, 10:38 AM

again this year. It's a good thing they won't be able to pack the box like last year. It's really hard to defend the out routes with TL throwing lasers out there. I hope we work it outside, then come back in with the slants. The quick game will be important to keep the ball moving against these guys. Once we get them on their heels we can hit the double moves and let the running game beat them up.

They will be a very good Bama defense. Luckily they don't have as much depth as normal.

The trend I am seeing across college and pro football is that the traditional pro style offense is much easier to defend (see B1G and $EC). Even Bama has spread the field and slings the ball around now.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic