Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again

Jun 13, 2019, 2:57 PM

One of Clemson's top baseball prospects, RHP Gavin Collyer decomitted today and committed to Bama due to the money issue with being out of state and Clemson no longer offering the Academic Common Market to help out of student kids pay for school. I mean he will probably sign with the Rangers where he was drafted in the 12th round anyway but just the fact that Clemson has no chance with him after being committed for 2 years because of the ACM sucks. DRad and Clements have to do something to help these out of state baseball kids pay for school. None of them get full scholarships so if money is ever an issue (which it is for a lot of top baseball prospects) then I feel like this team will just continue to go down hill because they wont sign these guys over schools that offer academic help. Clemson costs $37k for a out of state student, that is ridiculous.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why did Clemson quit offering it? Is DRad doing to Clemson

Jun 13, 2019, 3:04 PM

baseball what he did to Georgia Tech football?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did Clemson quit offering it? Is DRad doing to Clemson

Jun 13, 2019, 3:05 PM

It wasn't DRads decision from what I read. It was the board who decided to nix it over "money."

Does Monte start looking for a new job?

Jun 13, 2019, 3:07 PM

That is quite a change from the job he originally accepted.

Shouldn't we be flush with cash?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Monte start looking for a new job?

Jun 13, 2019, 3:15 PM

You would like to think we were. I don't know if he will or not because he's making good money but if it keeps getting worse it may come to that. Something has to change because the AD and everyone expect big things from Clemson baseball and its really hard to compete when you're not even close to being on the same playing field as the teams you're competing against.

To the DRad point, theres a reason he was run away from GT and its because he drained them financially. I don't know if the BOT would let him do that here but he has spent a ton of money, although its worked out well for football. But this issue with the ACM is a BOT decision so I will give DRad a pass on that one.

Academic Common Market is still offered for Grad Students...

Jun 13, 2019, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Does Monte start looking for a new job? ]

Apparently, South Carolina is on the short end of the student exchange, it's not one for one, more 4 or 5 to one with South Carolina taking the wrong side of the hit. I do not know if that was the reason for the decision, but with softball coming online money will be even shorter.

I don't know the line item math, I do not know if the AD is expected to make up the shortfall, but there were only 21 total student athletes using ACM at Clemson last I read.

If it's 1 a year that can't take advantage, that's a shame, but people that wanted Jack replaced, certainly didn't give him the consideration for ACM-Undergrad or lack of new player digs.

Re: Academic Common Market is still offered for Grad Students...

Jun 14, 2019, 10:44 PM

Exactly. Jack faced more obstacles than Monte is.

He didn’t just wreck football at GT. He ruined their once

Jun 13, 2019, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Why did Clemson quit offering it? Is DRad doing to Clemson ]

Great BKB and baseball programs too. Don’t sell him short.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What exactly was better about GT football from 1991-2007

Jun 14, 2019, 1:54 PM

than 2008-2018 under Paul Johnson? PJ had more success there than Chan Gailey and at least as much, if not more, than George O'Leary. They won the ACC twice under Johnson and won a NY6 game. O'Leary had one really good year in 1998 where GT went 10-2 and beat ND in the Gator Bowl.

And go look at the end of Paul Hewitt's tenure. GT basketball was already in a major downward trend before DRad fired Hewitt. Obviously Brian Gregory wasn't able to turn the program around, but firing Hewitt was extremely defensible.

And if your argument is that the funding, branding, etc went south at GT under DRad's watch than you need to give him some credit for how well Clemson has done in those areas while he's been the AD here, and nobody ever wants to do that. Everyone wants to give 100% of that credit to Dabo.

Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again

Jun 13, 2019, 3:05 PM

Actually scratch that. $37k just for tuition but $49k total for out of state students. No way we can compete with other places with not being able to offer these kids much help. Add the MLB draft to that and Monte and staff are fighting a losing battle.

Yep - last year Clemson Admissions handed us a printed flyer

Jun 14, 2019, 11:23 AM

that said plan on a $48K spend for my daughter’s freshman year. Unreal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jun 13, 2019, 3:08 PM

This is very bad and if the athletic department doesn’t figure something out it’s only going to get worse for the baseball program. There’s schools out there like Vanderbilt where the whol team is on full rides. It’s not an even playing field unless we decide we want to win big in baseball

Jun 13, 2019, 3:13 PM

Exactly. The school doesn't treat baseball like a priority sport but yet expects them to compete for championships against teams that like you said can offer full rides to every player. Its up to the board of trustees though to find a way to help the baseball team but it seems like theyre more worried about the amount of money coming in instead of helping one of their big time sports compete at the highest level.

LOL...Stop. Just. Stop.

Jun 13, 2019, 3:25 PM

The school treats baseball as economically viable as possible, within the constraints of the 'business' it's running. A lot of fans, on the other hand, expect baseball...and other sports to tick along as normal, except 'normal' has changed. Of course, 'a lot of fans' will moan and gnash teeth at the prospect of higher 'name your topic' prices, and concurrently bash the coach of said sport for failure to produce champions.

So, you have the money equal to nine (9) full scholarships in baseball. Exactly how do you compete with private schools...or those state that have a Hope Scholarship. Exactly what aspects of the 'level playing field' of collegiate baseball are 'level'. Which ones?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

11.7 unless I misunderstood your point.***

Jun 13, 2019, 3:30 PM

Jun 14, 2019, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again ]

When you pay $2M to football coaches a year, you can see who's bread gets buttered... Maybe IPTAY rates could be quintupled a year (again)...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can designate where you want your iptay donation

Jun 14, 2019, 10:52 AM

To go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Compared to football, baseball shouldn't be a priority

Jun 14, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again ]

College baseball doesn't move any needles. I know a decent number of Clemson fans care about college baseball, but it's not bringing in tens of millions of dollars and winning titles in college baseball doesn't bring the huge increase in applications from across the country either.

Baseball isn’t treated like a priority sport because it isn’t one.

Jun 14, 2019, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again ]

College baseball isn’t a major sport. It’s a very distant third behind football and basketball in terms of revenue and importance. Most fans of college sports don’t care about baseball, as evidenced by the fact that baseball programs lose money for their schools. Clemson is no exception.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

in my book,it's just as important as basketball***

Jun 15, 2019, 8:51 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Source of info on Vanderbilt financial aid??

Jun 13, 2019, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again ]

What is your source for the statement that Vanderbilt baseball players are all on a full ride scholarship? I have been trying to find information as to why they recruit so well. I know they have a huge endowment fund but they can't arbitrarily use that for baseball scholarships. I think there must be consistency across the student body. There are restrictions and their tuition is higher than ours at Clemson.All colleges are limited to 11.7 athletic scholarships in baseball. Vandy must be doing something with endowment funds but all i can find is pure speculation??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Source of info on Vanderbilt financial aid??

Jun 13, 2019, 7:07 PM

He’s has none whatsoever because it isn’t true. It’s just the smokescreen the same cry babies who wanted Jack run off are using to explain why Monte Lee isn’t winning the World Series like they promised.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Not disagreeing with your request for facts

Jun 14, 2019, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Source of info on Vanderbilt financial aid?? ]

But..vandy is a private school. The NCAA limits athletic schies but vandy can give anyone an academic scholie anytime they want.

No different than any private hs offering scholarships to the best athletes in their area.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Not disagreeing with your request for facts

Jun 14, 2019, 2:01 PM

No, they can't. They cannot give an academic scholarship to anyone they want and Vanderbilt gives very little merit award money (i.e. academic scholarships). Financial need based awards are the only kind that don't necessarily count against athletic scholarship limits because they are available on an objective basis to the entire student body. And, if the student-athlete has any amount of athletic scholarship - their entire financial aid package, including any need based aid, counts in full against that sport's scholarship limits. This is whole Vandy/Duke baseball advantage story is completely fabricated internet nonsense.

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Jun 14, 2019, 9:21 PM

you need to check your facts. Schools like Duke and Vandy, have foundations that do this. Any private school can. Vandy completely supports Baseball and maybe all sports to an extent. But it is open to all students to apply. Duke uses it's Foundation also, but do not know the extent.

Jun 14, 2019, 10:26 PM

I’ve checked my facts. In numerous threads on this topic I’ve posted references. NO. SCHOOLS. CAN. NOT. AWARD. ACADEMIC. SCHOLARSHIPS. TO. ATHLETES. JUST. BECAUSE. THEY. WANT. TO. Pedaling this nonsense is the sports equivalent of birtherism, anti-vaxxerism, or flat-eartherism. Public or Private make 0 difference on the topic. They have all consented (at least schools relevant to the topic) to NCAA governance on the topic. The only scholarships/financial available to athletes, above the actual athletic scholarship, are those offered on an objective basis - i.e. financial aid with clearly defined paramaters and merit awards with clear defined parameters available to the entire qualifying student body. AND, what was new to me, if a partial athletic scholarship athlete receives ANY additional financial aid or merit aid from the institution all of those funds count towards that sport’s scholarship limit. You are literally making #### up or choosing to believe made up internet nonsense to believe otherwise.

Jun 15, 2019, 6:11 AM

I listened to Stanford’s golf coach yesterday on the satellite radio broadcast of the US Open say that their entire golf program, coaches, scholarships, expenses, etc is funded by their endowment. He also said all their sports are funded that way. Hope that helps out for you.

Jun 15, 2019, 8:35 AM

You misunderstood what he was saying. The endowment pays their (Stanford’s) expenses. That doesn’t mean every student is given a full scholarship. The student’s cost of attendance isn’t a cost to Stanford. Golf student-athletes get a 1/2 scholarship for a total of 4.5 scholarships. You guys have lost your minds. The NCAA doesn’t distinguish between public and private schools. They operate under the same set of rules.

Guess what school has a private, independent organization assisting with the financing of their sports? This argument that foundations can just pay for whoever they want for whatever reason they want doesn’t withstanding the slightest scrutiny. Clemson wouldn’t need to observe scholarship limits in any sports. Why stick to the 85 limit in football? Once the school pays for 85 scholarships just have IPTAY pay directly for anyone else we want. Any “foundation” or any other boogeymen paying for athletes to play a sport - above the specific NCAA limit - would be an impermissible benefit. The only exceptions are aid (merit or financial) offered on an objective basis and available to the entire student body.

Jun 15, 2019, 8:57 AM

Okay, Vanderbily offers "need based" scholarships for all students, including athletes, meaning if a student's parents make less than 100k per year, their tuition is free. I think it goes up to 250k per year before a student has to pay full tuition. As far as I know, Clemson has nothing to compare ..... nor do most schools. So if a great baseball player's parents make less than 100 k and he is given his tuition at Vandy free, how is that not an advantage?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2019, 9:40 AM

Need based scholarships are on a sliding scale. https://www.vanderbilt.edu/financialaid/net-price-calculator.php Feel free to play around with the calculator. 100% financial aid actually kicks in closer to $60k per year with no assets. A family making $100k with average assets for a family with college aged students (i used 45 years old for average home equity and retirement savings) would owe around $20k/yr at Vanderbilt. Complaining about need based aid is completely different that the present argument that foundations and endowments are illicitly giving full scholarships to everyone playing baseball and golf at these schools.

Jun 15, 2019, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Not disagreeing with your request for facts ]

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2015/02/22/the-price-of-athletics-at-stanford/

900 athletes splitting 300 scholarships. 85 of those going to football. 13 going to men’s basketball. 15 to women’s basketball. That leaves 787 athletes splitting 187 remaining scholarships.

Jun 15, 2019, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Not disagreeing with your request for facts ]

https://facts.stanford.edu/campuslife/athletics/

More recent info. Directly from Stanford. 900 student-athletes receiving 350 scholarships.

It works the other way though

Jun 13, 2019, 3:29 PM

I have a neighbor who goes to Alabama & she pays the same as if she was an Alabama resident. I think that Auburn offers the same deal. Not so sure why baseball is getting such a raw deal and if the President & BOT are directly responsible, there needs to be some open debate.

Your friends sisters daughter could have used

Jun 14, 2019, 10:51 AM

A relatives Alabama address when applying.

I had a buddy in hs who used his grandmas WV address to get instate tuition when he went to WVU..but that was 28yrs ago..

Doesn’t have to be shady like that

Jun 14, 2019, 2:37 PM

I was offered in-state tuition at Auburn coming out of HS despite living in NC based on academic scholarships. My grades and SAT were good but certainly not overwhelmingly so. SCAR had a program where if you got any scholarship money as an out of state student, you immediately qualified for in-state tuition. Not sure if that’s still going on but several of my classmates did that. Heard of similar things at other SEC schools where the bar to get in-state tuition as an out of state student is very attainable.

Jun 13, 2019, 6:22 PM

Anyone interested, here’s how vandy is funding the baseball team. They have to offer aid to all students. Enrollment is only like 5000. But essentially, if you can get into vandy, in state you probably can get a free ride if your family is hardship status... the way I understand it is it takes what the family can afford and funds the rest. it’s called opportunity Vanderbilt fund:

Viztiz pointedly let me know I posted it wrong so ive amended the section about costs to in state kids.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anchorofgold.com/platform/amp/2019/5/30/18645077/opportunity-vanderbilt-an-explainer

Message was edited by: kerigantoo®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2019, 7:22 PM

It’s a great article and thoroughly debunks all the crying and moaning. But where are you getting that in-state kids “probably going to have a free if you want it.” I assume you mean in-state kids get a free ride, but even that is plainly untrue. Yes, the average income in TN would qualify for free attendance at Vanderbilt but so would the average U.S. income. But here’s the thing: a very small percentage of people from that demographic are being accepted to Vanderbilt. An equally small percentage of serious youth baseball players would be in that demographic.
https://time.com/4913687/how-kids-sports-became-15-billion-industry/. A venn diagram of the two is going to yield a ridiculously small number of kids anyone else is recruiting disadvantaged by this admissions program. Further, I had never heard about the academic money counting against their scholarship total if they have any baseball scholarship. At best this creates a total wash for their baseball program in any actual benefit from the financial aid program.

Jun 13, 2019, 8:04 PM

Thanks for pointing that out and I’ve gone back and amended the post as well as thanked you for correcting me.

Thanks for your post above too. Good link and good read.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2019, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again ]

I think the last line sums it up pretty good. Tim Corbin is a heck of a coach and like Dabo in FB, moms want their kids playing for him.

I know just one example, but they interviewed the kids mom that pitched a shutout and is a freshman. She said, I didn’t care if my son was a first round draft pick, I told him he was going to play for Corbin first....

That’s the kids you have to find that comes play for you. Kids felt that way about Jack and from everything I’ve heard the kids feel like that about Monte... although that’s been disputed and I wish the people that dispute that and say that Monte can’t play “team “ ball would post facts as to why.

Jun 14, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again ]

It’s a great article and thoroughly debunks all the crying and moaning. But where are you getting that in-state kids “probably going to have a free if you want it.” I assume you mean in-state kids get a free ride, but even that is plainly untrue. Yes, the average income in TN would qualify for free attendance at Vanderbilt but so would the average U.S. income. But here’s the thing: a very small percentage of people from that demographic are being accepted to Vanderbilt.

I read the piece (did you?) and it doesn't debunk anything. Do you really think the baseball players going to Vanderbilt have to meet the same acceptance criteria as the rest of the student body?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2019, 2:11 PM

No, it doesn't say that. But, baseball players being admitted to Vanderbilt isn't everyone's complaint. It is, falsely, that they are all on full scholarship. Which is simply untrue. And, Vanderbilt athletes face stricter entry requirements than any other school in the SEC. They do not use SEC or NCAA minimums. But that is a tangent - sorry if any of my comments allowed you to indulge it. Vanderbilt is the most expensive school in the SEC. They do and cannot simply give everyone a scholarship. They have a well defined financial aid program available to all students. Unlike a lot of schools that offer such programs, they have a 100% need-blind admission process. In general, high level high school age baseball players do not come from financially disadvantaged homes. If you read the piece why are you focusing on admissions rather than cost of attendance which is the crux of the article, this thread, and the vast majority of the false claims that they have an unfair advantage. Even my response/post that you are attempting to impugn only mentioned admissions as it relates to the bigger picture.

Harvard is the same. My old boss sent his

Jun 14, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again ]

Daughter to Harvard for less than if she went to clemson.

How much you pay is dictated by how much you make.

$37,000 for out of state tuition to Clemson is not ridiculous.

Jun 13, 2019, 7:35 PM

Clemson offers a great education. What Clemson costs for out of state students is in line with what students would pay at other peer institutions.

I won’t argue that college tuition across the board has gone up a significant amount over the last 20 years. That’s a different discussion entirely.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Clemson is $53K per year for out-of-state, by the way. So

Jun 15, 2019, 9:37 AM

it costs a family about $120,000 over 4 years more to send a kid to Clemson than to go to an in-state school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay, so what?

Jun 15, 2019, 2:35 PM

I don’t want Clemson trying to compete with an out of state student’s in-state school tuition.

Agree. My daughter is a HS senior applying to schools

Jun 14, 2019, 10:41 AM

Harvard's academic requirements are ridiculous. They need to change them to make me happy.

Jun 14, 2019, 1:10 PM

Many southern states have agreements that allow for in state tuition if certain criteria is met. I think GA and MS have one that is tied to 26 score on ACT for instate tuition to kick in.

Clemson needs to figure this out, lots of talent in GA and surrounding states that will pass on the $49k tuition, especially when you may not play or start.

Jun 14, 2019, 1:51 PM

I was at orientation for my daughter today in state worst case scenario 33 thousand ouch. Lottery assistance will not cover a complete year by the end of the 4 year plan.

Jun 15, 2019, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: ACM bites Monte Lee and Clemson baseball again ]

Clemson waives oos tuition for out of state students meeting certain criteria as well. I couldn’t find the exact numbers with a quick google search but it’s out there. The qualifications have increased dramatically in the last few years as football success has the school flooded with applicants. I believe the top automatic oos program requires a 1560 SAT and being in top 10% of high school class. This is for more than just a tuition but is separate from the Top Scholars program which is full-ride and above (research stipends / study abroad).

Clemson was becoming flooded with applications before the football team became elite.

Jun 15, 2019, 2:38 PM

Football success certainly provides good marketing for the university, but it’s not the driver here.

Re: Clemson was becoming flooded with applications before the football team became elite.

Jun 15, 2019, 2:42 PM

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article128742334.html

Jun 15, 2019, 2:24 AM

Thank you for sharing this. I wouldn’t have been aware otherwise, and it clearly seems like it puts us at a significant advantage. I’ll lower my expectations of the baseball team and/or raise them of athletic decision-makers.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Side note: Clemson is $53K/year. Maybe you're excluding

Jun 15, 2019, 9:38 AM

room and board...

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic