Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ha..i remember when NAVY upset # 1 ranked Coots, in FB!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,208

Ha..i remember when NAVY upset # 1 ranked Coots, in FB!

Dec 9, 2017, 11:07 AM

The fact usc was #1 was unbelievable but losing to an average Navy team was unbelievable too.

Couldn't happen to a better group of fans!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They technically weren't #1 yet. #2 but

Dec 9, 2017, 11:12 AM

the #1 lost that week, I think. I was actually upset about this as we were playing them at the Valley the next week. Really funny now though. Down like 24-0 to Navy when you're ranked #2. Priceless.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They technically weren't #1 yet. #2 but

Dec 9, 2017, 11:19 AM

The coots have NEVER been ranked #1 in football and never will be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They technically weren't #1 yet. #2---- but #2 works

Dec 9, 2017, 11:41 AM [ in reply to They technically weren't #1 yet. #2 but ]

on so many levels with them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ha..i remember when NAVY upset # 1 ranked Coots, in FB!

Dec 9, 2017, 11:12 AM

I thought the coots had just moved to #3 or something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they were #2 and the Orange Bowl had made it known

Dec 9, 2017, 11:27 AM

that if the Chickens beat Navy, they were getting an invite -- back in those days bowl invitations sometimes went out before the season was over.

COLUMBIA -- Less than 24 hours after Navy upset South Carolina, Gamecocks head football coach Joe Morrison strode purposefully into the team's meeting room.

An intimidating figure under normal circumstances, Morrison was downright menacing on this November day in 1984 as he made his way to the front of the room.

He was a few minutes late, which was unusual for Morrison, and with no preamble he went to the blackboard and wrote down five items.

1) National championship
2) No. 1 ranking
3) Orange Bowl bid
4) $2 million
5) Toilet

Morrison turned to face his team.

"Guys, you just blew a chance at a national championship, you're not going to be No. 1, we're not going to the Orange Bowl and you just lost your university 2 million dollars," Morrison said pointing to each of the first four items on the list.

Then he put the chalk on No. 5 and said with emphasis, "That's where you are right now."

Morrison, a conservative coach by nature, had uncharacteristically told the team after Thursday night's practice that if the Gamecocks beat Navy, they would earn the school's first Orange Bowl bid.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/loss-to-navy-in-still-bothers-former-usc-football-players/article_659e790f-54a9-5c99-9de4-d67832fff306.html

and the most Gamecock thing ever.....

Dec 9, 2017, 11:41 AM

Afterward, Orange Bowl officials visited the South Carolina dressing room, but did not extend the invitation. ''They said we're not out of the picture,'' Sid Wilson, South Carolina's assistant athletic director, said. ''They said they have to go back and think it over.''

''We know we'll go to a bowl, but we're not sure which one.''

South Carolina fans had already bought more than 6,000 tickets for the Orange Bowl.

(Note: they went to the Gator Bowl and played Oklahoma State)

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/18/sports/carolina-stunned-by-navy.html

Dec 9, 2017, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Ha..i remember when NAVY upset # 1 ranked Coots, in FB! ]

Nope. Tmax is right. They were #2

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Dec 9, 2017, 11:35 AM

I believe Pitt was #1 and got beat, then the coots choked on Navy beans.

Dec 9, 2017, 11:53 AM

There has never been a day in coot FB history that they were the best team in the country. There will always be a time when voters won't have a clue of what they are doing, or what they are voting on. And saying that the coots were #1 was surely one of those times!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, did Tigers beat #2 or whatever ranked Coots the next week in 1984?

Dec 9, 2017, 12:04 PM

TIA

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. Lost 22-21. We led 21-3 at half.

Dec 9, 2017, 12:07 PM

Game was on ESPN Classic couple of weeks ago. Watching it the first time was bad enough for me.

Recall thinking at the time that that old

Dec 9, 2017, 12:14 PM

Chicken Curse had reared its ugly head.........again.

The gloom in and around Columbia after that defeat was stifling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 12:16 PM

What many of you might not remember is that Navy started/played that game with their 3RD Team quarterback....1st and 2nd team QBs never saw the field that day due to previous injuries......I was outside in my driveway washing my car and listened to the entire game on radio...,one of my favorite TIGER memories!!!!!!

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,208
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic