Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Growing up - tobacco was everywhere
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Growing up - tobacco was everywhere

May 21, 2019, 5:17 AM

As a kid (when Wilson was president...kidding...), smoking was epidemic. Hospitals (doctors, patients & visitors could smoke); airports, planes in flight, any public transportation; high schools had smoking areas; theaters (no - but the rules were ignored); restaurants - just about everybody - before, during & after meals.

People woke up & grabbed a cigarette; got in cars & lit one as soon as the engine started; smoked during work, heading home from work; during & after supper & before turning the lights out had - one more smoke. Nonsmokers were THE minority. If you went to a football game, the first thing you smelled we're all the cigars & cigarettes.

I smoked until about 32 & quit because I felt really bad physically (over 30 years ago). I vowed not to be an anti-smoking zealot, & I'm not. But it WILL kill you. My mom quit in her late 40s & died of lung cancer 14 years later. Got my uncle too. 4 of my oldest friends died before 70 - they couldn't quit.

If people want to smoke, I won't try to stop them, but I hope they won't lie to themselves about the consequences.
Spend some time with someone you know who's about to check out, & you might toss the smokes.

As preachy as Hollywood is about everything, I don't get why smoking is so pervasive in films today. Sadly, smoking on the "big screen" is still cool.

OK - sermon's over. Now I'll just kick back with a filterless Camel & relax. Second thought - no...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only an anti-smoking zealot would post an anti-smoking

May 21, 2019, 6:35 AM

sermon on a football board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only an anti-smoking zealot would post an anti-smoking

May 21, 2019, 9:55 AM

This message is worth posing on all boards if it will save one life. I too, was once a smoker and quit cold turkey in the early 1960's. Can't even stand the smell of cigarette smoke now. Had I not quit I feel certain I would not be posting on this board this morning.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Growing up - tobacco was everywhere

May 21, 2019, 6:56 AM

Hollywood's middle name is "hypocrite". They rally against drugs. violence and shootings, but the violence in the movies they produce is unprecedented. The tobacco in films was initially, and probably still is, because they were/are paid by the tobacco industry. Anything for money!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIP Tupac***

May 21, 2019, 7:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I remember those days all too well

May 21, 2019, 7:25 AM

Grew up in a family of smokers. Only my paternal grandmother and I were non-smokers. As for me, I would have been had it not been for despising the smell and taste of it. Thank the good Lord!

Now the truth. This country was literally built on tobacco. The first fortunes were made off of it. The really old money in America is tobacco money. So I suppose it will never go away entirely.

But here's the other thing. Nicotine is a narcotic and as such it should be treated like any other controlled substance. If you smoke, it's not really by choice. Not many smokers quit successfully. The addiction is every bit as hard to break as heroine. Unfortunately, there's too much money and history behind tobacco to ever legislate adequately against it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

My uncle once said...

May 21, 2019, 7:41 AM

a woman who will suck on a cigarette will suck on anything.

Have fun testing his theory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: My uncle once said...

May 21, 2019, 8:52 AM

If she smokes, she pokes...

seriously I do miss the smell of cigarettes at sporting events

May 21, 2019, 7:46 AM

I don't smoke but that was the smell of football and baseball when I was a kid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2019, 8:19 AM

Never cared either way about the smell of cigarettes but I sure miss mybg td grandpas pipe. I can still smell it and hes been dead 30 years

May 21, 2019, 10:55 AM

outlaw1081 said:

Never cared either way about the smell of cigarettes but I sure miss mybg td grandpas pipe. I can still smell it and hes been dead 30 years

Perhaps if you went ahead and buried him, that smell would go away?

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately, it's such a strong addiction your good

May 21, 2019, 9:11 AM

words typically fall on deaf ears. Have seen two good friends watch their wives die a long miserable lung cancer death, and both kept smoking...

Sad, but there was nothing anyone could do to get either to stop.

May 21, 2019, 11:46 AM

Tv at ACC tournament just showed the smokestack at Durham Park... LUCKY STRIKE printed out in huge letters... BTW: Growing up in the '50s Lucky Strike had a logo.... LSMFT:Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco...or as we kids tittered over: Loose Strap Means Floppy Ti!!ies...

May 21, 2019, 1:52 PM

I smoked for a number of years myself. Quit cold turkey for 6 years then picked it right back up again after bumming a smoke from a buddy while drinking at a bar. We were in a foreign port and like an intoxicated fool I said, "Mitch, lemme get one of them Camels from you". He slid his pack across the bar and said, "Help yourself". ......Later back aboard the ship I bummed another and that was all she wrote.

What amazed me about my second stint smoking was the evidence of how the psychological addiction works. Since I'd picked up the habit again underway, that's pretty much where it stayed. I had no intention of telling the wife I was smoking again and I only smoked aboard the ship. My uniforms always smelled like cigarette smoke because I was around smokers all day so she never picked up on it. In port Naval Station Norfolk, I would walk down the brow to get in my truck and the urge to smoke would magically turn off. I just didn't do it at home. ......And as soon as I returned to the ship, the urge was back in full force.

After that we went overseas and again I smoked at work only. I successfully hid my habit from her for the better part of 10 years. It wasn't until the last year I was in that I quit. Of course I had plans to quit every week from the time I started. I just couldn't.

I had to run a semi annual physical readiness test part of which was to run a mile and a half for time. At 38 years old I think I had 13:30 to run it. Pretty sure the guy holding the stop watch just had a kind heart and wrote down a passing time for me. It was the last one I'd ever run anyway. Looking back, I think I may have actually been suffering a mild heart attack trying to run it that morning. Later I had a mild heart attack post navy career at the age of 42 so I have known symptoms I can compare it to.

But anyhoo.......I sat there on a picnic table for about 45 minutes after everyone else had cleared out. I just couldn't catch my breath. I reasoned that if I just drug my #### back over to my office and got a shower I'd feel recovered. The shower didn't help. I continued to breath heavy pretty much the rest of that day. It was a Friday and I refrained from smoking that day. I went home and didn't smoke all weekend.

When Monday morning rolled around I decided I was going to make it until lunch time before I had a smoke. Then I was going to make it until Tuesday. I didi that half a day at a time until Wednesday was gone. When I'd made it through Wednesday I realized this was the longest I'd been without a cigarette in forever and I became determined at that point to hold onto the momentum. That was 2003 and I haven't smoked yet.

I'm sympathetic to anyone addicted to cigarettes. I know from personal experience how hard it is to quit. I'll tell anyone that if you find the motivation to put them down even for a day you'd better hang onto that train and don't let go. The motivation to quit doesn't come every week of every month. In fact it may not ever come again for you

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't get me started on the alcohol ... pure poison.***

May 21, 2019, 1:55 PM

May 21, 2019, 2:51 PM

I've never been a smoker and hate being around it but more people are dying from their diets and inactivity than ever died from tobacco. Good thing big daddy government isn't dictating how many calories a day we can consume or how many miles we must jog. At least not yet.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic