Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Of Mice, Men, Green Boiled Peanuts and Shrimp
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1,222

Of Mice, Men, Green Boiled Peanuts and Shrimp

Aug 17, 2019, 5:05 PM

I found some green peanuts at Walmart the other day. Cleanest and best looking peanuts I've seen in a store in a long time. Not one pop or bad nut in the whole shebang. I boiled those rascals and the saltiness was perfect for me. I just polished off a generous helping and realized one of the greatest feelings in all of this wide world is being able to say, "there was not room in my belly for one more".You green boiled peanut lovers know the biggest lie in the world is when you say, "I'm just going to eat one more".

If there is one thing that can get me to thinking, it's when I can truly say, "I ain't got no room for even one more peanut". I imagine each one of us at one time or another has given thought to what you would most like to have if stranded on a deserted island. I know what's on the mind of all of you but let's forget about the females for a few seconds. First, I would wish for an unlimited supply of green peanuts and shrimp. Next would be two pots to boil the peanuts and shrimp And, of course I would need some salt and cocktail sauce. Guys and gals, that would be heaven.

Further thinking had me sitting in church and the preacher telling all of us sinners that heaven was filled with green boiled peanut and shrimp. Those few words would have me changing my sinning ways and jumping aboard the glory train. Of course I would hope the glory train was a slow train 'cause I ain't quite ready to go just yet.

Peanut varieties have changed over the years. Way back in the dark ages when I was a kid, about the only variety we had was the Spanish peanut. It was a small nut but it was packed with flavor that just hasn't been duplicated by the newer varieties. "Tom's Toasted Peanuts" came in a small sleeve that cost the huge sum of one nickel. But we never ate "Tom's Toasted Peanuts" alone. It was mandatory we spend another nickel for a Coke and then we would empty that leave of peanuts in the Coke bottle. Now that was living high on the hog.

The peanut varieties today are much larger and I suppose the production rates per acre are much higher than in years past but to me they just don't taste as good as the old Spanish variety. When I was working in Pakistan in 1992-93 I found some parched Spanish peanuts in Multan. The first ones I got were over parched but still tasted fairly good. I asked the guy to not let them get over parched but he said that's the way his customers liked them. He did save some for me that were not over parched and they were good.

Now back to the deserted island. A man fell overboard on a ship and after three days adrift and completely dehydrated and exhausted, he washed shore on a tropical island. Fortunately, there was a beautiful young lady who nursed him back to a reasonable degree of health. She fed him green boiled peanuts and boiled shrimp, the best he had even eaten. Day by day his strength improved to the point when one day while running her fingers through his hair, she softly whispered, "would you like to play around"? He was so excited he jumped up and said, "you mean there is a golf course on this island".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great OT post, Mr Joe!

Aug 17, 2019, 5:25 PM

Found green spanish peanuts at a Food Lion near Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago. They were far far better than those Virginia whites that BiLo has been carrying. I was hopeful that the Food Lion in Seneca had them. Went to check but no, they were the big ones and were partly dried as well. When you shake the shell, if it rattles in the least bit, the peanut has started to dry.

As for the deserted island, I'd also wish for a sand wedge so I could work on my sand game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 1
| visibility 1,222
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic