Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need the biggest reasonable TV you can find
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Need the biggest reasonable TV you can find

Jan 21, 2019, 4:42 PM

Renovating our house. Once complete, I'll have a cutout for a fudging huge tv. Total space for entertainment furniture/TV is 8ft wide x 8ft tall x 3ft deep. Vaulted ceiling, so area starts at 8' high going up to 10' by end of border.

Figure do a 3ft tall cabinet underneath for storage, games and a second beverage fridge near the patio. Slap a nice piece of wood or stone on top. That leaves 5ft + of upward space for a mack daddy system.

At this size, should I just switch to a projector? Would love to be able to see TV from other end of great room in kitchen 25ft away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like you are trying to have doors either

Jan 21, 2019, 4:44 PM

block or hit the TV.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looking forward to pictures of TV with

Jan 21, 2019, 5:01 PM

A door knob sized hole in the screen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like you are trying to have doors either

Jan 21, 2019, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Looks like you are trying to have doors either ]

Yes, it will be an occasional pain, but hopefully not too bad.

If I set the TV back far enough, the knobs won't hit it. Plus the door will mostly be closed except for parties and people running in/out of the backyard / patio.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ive got a Rear Projection TV screen dimensions

Jan 21, 2019, 4:45 PM

5ft x 3ft x 3ft deep I'll give you a good price for!

I think he means screen area and not weight. Butt thanks.***

Jan 22, 2019, 8:52 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I love plans on lined notebook paper

Jan 21, 2019, 4:46 PM

That was just my rough drawing

Jan 21, 2019, 4:55 PM

Buy me some graph paper and I'll throw it on there too. Wasn't worth a trip to Staples.

Graph paper ?

Jan 21, 2019, 4:57 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I walked into WalMart of all places today and saw probably

Jan 21, 2019, 4:47 PM

the best picture I've ever seen on any TV. It was on a Samsung QLED 75" that was as bright and as crisp as any picture I've ever seen.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SAMSUNG-75-Class-4K-2160P-Ultra-HD-Smart-QLED-HDR-TV-QN75Q7FN-2018-model/963136154

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would also suggest removing the dining table and

Jan 21, 2019, 4:49 PM

putting a tiki bar in its place. You really have to make every square ft. count in a studio style home.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok, I'm no engineer or architect. But.....

Jan 21, 2019, 4:49 PM

By my calculations, you will have a 32' x 25 foot room......

So, where's the support column? Axing for a friend who cleans up houses that collapse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huge beam just placed down the middle

Jan 21, 2019, 4:59 PM

Beam added to replace all the walls. Helped raise ceiling from 8ft to 12ft.

Also have another game room on end of house 13W x 18L with it's own support structure.

Wow. Heckuva beam. Nice.

Jan 21, 2019, 5:32 PM
scan.jpg(62.3 K)

I'd probably go for a projector if you really want to use all that space for a screen. Above 75" and you start getting crazy with TV prices. OLED, 4K, 100-inches is huge bucks. I'd spring for a 75" TV or a projector for 100"

FWIW, I have a dream basement that will never happen. See attached....not as good as yours of course.

Basically take the basement of a square foundation house....

Wet bar kicked out a little because of stairs. Forgot that part. Should have drawn the stairs first. Anyway, you get the picture. Could probably do it to my current house for 150K. lol

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I miss not having a pool table

Jan 21, 2019, 5:40 PM

Depending on ceiling height, you could add an axe throwing area. Or at a minimum, a shuffleboard table.

Green carpet? They have porcelain tile that mimics wood floors.

Gotta have that hustle-space.

Jan 21, 2019, 5:49 PM

Ceiling would be 9 feet ideally. This is my friend's basement when I was growing up. His dad spent like 2+ years building that house. When it was finished, I knew why. It was the only 3 story house in the neighborhood, with this basement. We used to sleep down there, watch TV and play pool all night. Had a dart board and a stone fireplace. Was the awesomest basement I've ever seen, and still is to this day. Other than the logistics of adding a basement, plumbing, electrical, etc., finishing it out with wood panel walls, a great stone fireplace, wet bar, glass counter-top bar, full bathroom (shower only), pool table, HDTV, sound system, lighting, etc...I'd imagine you could take the cost of finishing the basement and add a good 100K or more to it. Then the gym, TV in there, carpet, equipment......yeah. Anyway....

Carpet is a lighter green, not hunter.

Jan 21, 2019, 5:51 PM [ in reply to I miss not having a pool table ]

Like emerald maybe a tad lighter. Wood not do wood floors with the wood walls.

What's with all the 2-by blocking on the joists?***

Jan 21, 2019, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Huge beam just placed down the middle ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

looks like the RAFTERS were doubled up to provide depth

Jan 21, 2019, 6:29 PM

i bet there was previously a finished ceiling here. The existing rafters were enough for the roof load, and that's it. The insulation was previously laid above the ceiling joists.

Now, the insulation needs to be between the rafters, and the additional structure is there to provide the depth for adequate insulation, lights, possibly speakers, etc....as well as support the ceiling finish

Glue the fool out of LVL

Jan 21, 2019, 6:30 PM [ in reply to What's with all the 2-by blocking on the joists?*** ]
GreatRoomLVL.jpg(100.1 K)

Not a contractor ... They extended the rafters down by sistering another 2-by on the existing joists. Assume that's to give them space to insulate and finish off ceiling since it will not be exposed.

Attache is the drawing they had on the wall where they mapped it out. Glue the fool out of the LVL.

Re: What's with all the 2-by blocking on the joists?***

Jan 21, 2019, 6:32 PM

Is that good or bad?***

Jan 21, 2019, 6:33 PM

Re: Is that good or bad?***

Jan 21, 2019, 7:54 PM

It will all look the same when it's a pile of rubble.

Also, spend the money to foam that ceiling.

can't say I've ever seen them butted up end-to-end like that

Jan 22, 2019, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Is that good or bad?*** ]

usually, sistering or scabbing rafters/joists is one side-by-side like so (shown w/ joists)

Notice that these new joists are bearing on the walls. It doesn't seem like your rafters are, based on the sketch (By Jive?? whodat?), on top of being just 'hung' from the existing rafters (and by 2x4's & nails, rather than straps...which, I'll defer to the engineer here, but seems off to me)

Re: Glue the fool out of LVL

Jan 21, 2019, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Glue the fool out of LVL ]

Does that note say “glue the fool out of the LVL’? Lol. I need to remember that one.

The mill should have already did dat doe

Jan 22, 2019, 8:49 AM

or are there multiple LVL beams glued the fool out of together? I has a confuse on that one.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that a technical term?***

Jan 22, 2019, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Glue the fool out of LVL ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Huge beam just placed down the middle

Jan 21, 2019, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Huge beam just placed down the middle ]

Did you have an engineer run the deflection numbers on that beam and tell you how much the exterior walls will 'swell,' due to that deflection?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is there a version in English?

Jan 21, 2019, 9:32 PM

Huh? Can you explain that to somebody that doesn't know shid about construction (me)?

Yes, our contractor has been working with an engineer (or at least many conversations are 'I'll have to talk to the engineer to see what's possible).

ya might wanna throw some wrapped collar ties / beams

Jan 22, 2019, 8:31 AM

at least 1/3 of the way down from the ridge. Gravity's ghana push down on that roof, which in turn pushes the rafter bearing walls outward....unless there's adequate tension-al (not a word) relief

also....the fool-glues ridge beam....is that supporting anything about it?? if it's JUST there for the roof, when done right, it's not needed as a structural member

here's collar ties:

https://www.nachi.org/collar-rafter-ties.htm

I have a qweshion......

Jan 21, 2019, 4:52 PM

why is your 4ft wide island narrower than your 4 ft wide table? Is one in imperial feet?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have a qweshion......

Jan 21, 2019, 5:01 PM

Island is 4 x 9. The table is 7 x 4. The 4ft sides match up.

Which way do your ceiling joists run? If parallel with the

Jan 21, 2019, 4:52 PM

wall you're wanting to mount, go with a recessed projection screen. Have it come down in front of a 55" or so budget TV.

If there's space above ceiling, you can also consider adding a motorized projector lift to hide the projector when not in use.

Depending on the amount of light control you have, you could end up with a 110" diagonal image for under 10 grand.

If there's massive windows throughout, just schlep for a 75 or 85" Samsung or Sony.

Listen to robertn on this stuff

Jan 21, 2019, 4:56 PM

literally, it's his job

serious, no troll

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vaulted ceilings starting at 8ft up to 12ft

Jan 21, 2019, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Which way do your ceiling joists run? If parallel with the ]

Joists run parallel to mounting wall. Can I recess if at an angle?

At what point do I hire a pro to figure out the entertainment versus just buying a 60" + TV for the space?

Ahh, missed that part on the vaulted ceiling. You can

Jan 21, 2019, 5:12 PM

go with a wall mounted option then for the screen. Needs to be perfectly level when mounted. This would make it a little harder to hide a TV for regular usage behind it, but could be accomplished by mounting the screen to a 2x4 to get it off the wall a bit. Trim will be key here in making it look intentional and not redneck.

You don't want to have a projector as your only option for watching TV, bulb hours, and just the PITA factor of waiting on it to warm up will get old.

You doing a 5.1 system or any home automation too? That'll help determine if you should hire a pro.

Hadn't thought of that yet

Jan 21, 2019, 5:21 PM

Currently have a Bose 3/2/1 system that historically worked fine. A bit redneck but adequate.

Wife will surely want some type of enhanced security camera thingamajig since adding a pool and now outside the comfy confines of a gated community.

On the plus side, no HOA peckerheads.

Thanks for the projector notes. Hadn't thought about only selectively using the projector and instead using a 2 part system (TV plus projector).

Better think about it before installing

Jan 21, 2019, 5:24 PM

sheet rock.

just build out a soffit @ 8 or 9 feet above the cabinets/TV

Jan 21, 2019, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Vaulted ceilings starting at 8ft up to 12ft ]

drop a projector from that, and it'll also help frame out that nook

that reads funny...

Jan 21, 2019, 5:42 PM

8 or 9 feet,(comma) above the cabinets

not 8 or 9 feet above the cabinets

By my calculations you will probably have room for at least

Jan 21, 2019, 5:11 PM

10 of these. 10 X 19 = 190" of television at just $750 + FREE 2-day shipping

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-19-Class-HD-720P-LED-TV-RT1970/55540603

What do I win?

Re: By my calculations you will probably have room for at least***

Jan 21, 2019, 5:16 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE BEEN AWARDED THE

Jan 21, 2019, 5:55 PM [ in reply to By my calculations you will probably have room for at least ]

2019 @H8NUSC TROPHY

In for H8n's recommendation***

Jan 21, 2019, 7:56 PM

GET SOME GRAPH PAPER FIRST***

Jan 22, 2019, 8:52 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oops, just read Dguarchitecht's reply

Jan 22, 2019, 8:54 AM

sorry DGUARCHITECT

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic