Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gig'em ;-)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Gig'em ;-)

Jul 25, 2019, 9:11 PM

Howdy Tigers...

Looking forward to experiencing Clemson! Plans made, tickets ordered. I may even make a long weekend of it and go visit NASA in Langley, VA. (I know, not exactly that close, but it is to someone flying from Houston and renting a car). Dad worked on Project Apollo, and started his career at Langley VA before the powers that be selected Houston as the site of the Manned Spacecraft Center, so figure it's time to drop into the visitors center there.

Anywho... Aggies enjoyed hosting you guys last year. Aside from coming up short on the scoreboard, glad you all seemed to enjoy letting us host. It was a crazy, but awesome atmosphere in Kyle Field last year, certainly amped up under the first year of Jimbo. Aside from that, it being a night game put a little more spring into the steps of cadets at March In, a little more Yell into the spectators, etc. Had some Tigers sitting next to me on the edge of their seats all night. She gave me a $2 bill I still have - after exhaling at the end of the game, she said she felt she had to give it to me for some reason... haha.

Can only imagine the difficulty home field advantage will give us in this one this year, so only hoping for a fun road trip this year. We probably have the most difficult schedule this year, so it's somewhat an aid for us not to get our hopes up this year. Clemson AT Clemson, Georgia AT Georgia, Bama and Auburn in Kyle Field. I know you manhandled Bama last year, but until Saban leaves... sorry... Bama will be Bama. And Auburn is always a tussle, for most of the series the home team has lost. Mississippi State and South Carolina are always up and down, never know with them. And oh yea, there's that little matter of going TO LSU in what will probably be a night game, a somewhat revenge game for them for sure... We'll be lucky to make it to a bowl without significant injuries, etc.

2020 is looking promising though ;)

Should be a fun game though!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gig'em ;-)

Jul 25, 2019, 9:20 PM

Should be fun. For some. Enjoy our slice of heaven. I hope you are treated as we have in CS!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 9:22 PM

Hope ya'll do well other than the Clemson game...we need the Out of Conference schedule to be good, so all luck to you after the Tigers! Show the USC (lil bro) how to play ball! And do a job on Bama too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won't be handing out $2 bills at home games

Jul 25, 2019, 9:24 PM

but drop by the Esso Club and we might buy you a drink or two.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 9:41 PM

Had a great time in College Station last year and was totally impressed by the class of the A&M fans. Despite losing under difficult circumstances, and some officiating calls that could have gone the other way, we were congratulated over and over on the Tigers win from the stadium to the bars to the hotel to breakfast the next day. And the A&M fans told us to beat the hell out of 'Bama too. Hope you have a great time in Clemson and our fans are as gracious in return.

Jul 25, 2019, 10:06 PM

The rain was a bummer but it rained on both sides of the field this time, unlike at Death Valley against ND.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 25, 2019, 10:35 PM

God bless you, man, and enjoy our Clemson Tiger Hospitality - it should be a great game! But just curious, did you get a room at the Marriott? Haha! - inquiring and jilted minds would like to know!

Jul 28, 2019, 12:50 PM

Haha... Absolutely no clue what you're alluding to! We are going to stay in Greenville. I don't think they announced yet where Midnight Yell will be, but it was in Greenville the last time we visited you all.

Jul 25, 2019, 10:49 PM

Try to catch a sunset over the lake. I live 20 minutes up 123 and every (nice) evening I'll look towards Clemson and see the most beautiful orange and purple sky. But beware, it just might turn you into a full fledged Clemson fan.

Jul 28, 2019, 12:51 PM

Haha... My blood runs deep Maroon... but in looking at pics of the area, it looks really nice! Not sure if we'll have time, since we are landing in the evening that Friday and then driving straight to Midnight Yell. But perhaps that Saturday night we'll see it.

Saw Varsity's Horns Off***

Jul 25, 2019, 11:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went to the game at Kyle Field last year.

Jul 26, 2019, 12:02 AM

It was an amazing experience. Best away game experience I’ve ever been part of.

Hope you enjoy your time at Clemson, but not the scoreboard.

Re: I went to the game at Kyle Field last year.

Jul 28, 2019, 12:54 PM

As serious as a heart attack, I can say the feeling in Aggieland was mutual. We like to host, so it's special when the fans we're trying to host are themselves into the gameday experience, even with the maroon haze, Corps March Ins, etc. I'm guessing it's because our two schools share a military heritage.

I went to the game at Kyle Field last year.

Jul 26, 2019, 12:02 AM

It was an amazing experience. Best away game experience I’ve ever been part of.

Hope you enjoy your time at Clemson, but not the scoreboard.

Welcome...

Jul 26, 2019, 7:48 AM

to helll!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Welcome...

Jul 26, 2019, 8:12 AM

I was at the game at A&M last year. It was a great experience! The hospitality was grand. My grandfather and 2 uncles were A&M grads, so I grew up pulling for A&M before becoming a Clemson fan and then attending Clemson! While a student in 1973, A&M played at Clemson in Oct. My mother and father came up for the game and it was a real treat for my mother to see both teams play. Her 1st husband, a Clemson grad, was shot down in the Pacific in 1945, so she had a connection to both schools. We didn't know about it at the time, but she became ill and passed away in Nov. from cancer. Even though we lost, that game was special to me.

Met avery nice couple from Dallas before the game last year in a restaurant in Bryan. I invited them to go to the Smokin' Pig if they come for the game this year. Will be in touch soon to see if they are.

Have a great trip and maybe we will run into you!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2019, 8:27 AM

Here's to a place where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness; may you be welcomed to Death Valley by the Tiger’s roar echoing O’er the mountain height.

Howdy Aggie.

Jul 26, 2019, 8:35 AM

I’ll just “ditto” what others have said about the trip to aTm last year. I hope our fans treat you as well as we were treated.

Hampton is a haul from Clemson. I have family that work at NASA and it’s a good 8 hour drive to Clemson.

As you have questions, let us know.

Re: Howdy Aggie.

Jul 28, 2019, 12:58 PM

Yea, I looked up the mileage. But since I'll be that way from Houston and renting a car for the weekend anyway, might as well. We'll be flying into Charlotte, so it's "sort of" all in the same long round trip. I've only driven through Tennessee and Kentucky at night a couple times (on two 30 hour drives to upstate NY). So it'll be nice just to drive around that area of the country too.

Jul 26, 2019, 8:52 AM

Once upon a time, I would have offered (polite, but unbelieved) encouragement by saying “Well, at least you’re catching us early in the season”; however, I don’t think it will really help your guys this year.

I do expect that you’ll have a great Clemson Tigers gameday experience - there IS truly something in these hills! And it all starts with Clemson fans who you will find friendly and welcoming. Don’t be surprised for a tailgate invite or two as you make your way to the stadium - or if you wander around pregame.

Lastly, if you’ve never been to Death Valley, be sure and be in your seats 10-15 minutes before kickoff. You do not want to miss the most exciting 25 seconds in college football.

(Especially as we’re counting on the next 3 hours or so being pretty disappointing for A&M fans)

By the way, in the military, do you know how you can tell if an officer got his commission at A&M?

jk my friend

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

You paid Jimbo a ton of $$$ for such a ho-hum attitude.

Jul 26, 2019, 10:20 AM

Don't let him slip into "Welfare" mode.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2019, 11:10 AM

Your fans were very kind and hospitable to me and my friends last year. Super nice people there in College Station! Enjoyed the Corp marching in and at half time. Awsome show.

Attached are a couple of pics I took as the Corp marched in with Reveille leading the way.

Jul 28, 2019, 1:02 PM

For sure! I think we saw more Clemson fans checking out March In than we typically see in other visiting fans. It was refreshing to host a fan base that enjoyed the pageantry.

Jul 26, 2019, 11:13 AM

And by the way, Cowboy boots and Daisy Duke shorts were everywhere. :) :) :)

Clemson has a long history with jimbo fisher

Jul 26, 2019, 1:26 PM

...and some history hosting Aggie fans. we know jimbo and are familiar with A&M

The 2 cultures do not align.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 26, 2019, 1:45 PM

Welcome to Clemson. I hope you have a great time but since you are an Aggie I do hope you go home with a lose! Other than that one little thing be safe and have a safe trip.

It’s really cool your dad worked on the Apollo project. I just finished several documentaries about the Apollo program. It’s to bad politics played a role in moving everything to Houston.

If you get a chance please send me a T-Mail. I would really be interested in more information about the Space Program and the part your Father was involved in. The Apollo program was awesome and helped to bring nations together. My brother in law worked on the solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle.

Have a great day and thank you for sharing your post on Tigernet.

wueagle86

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2019, 1:21 PM

For sure, will drop you my email on the IM here.

Of course, being a native Houstonian and the product of a NASA engineer that moved from Langley to Houston, I'll just have to disagree with you that it was a bad thing it moved to Houston. :)

In summary, my dad graduated Georgia Tech in 1960, just as the Space Race was heating up. NACA had become NASA in 1958, and he joined in Langley shortly after graduating. Worked with many names someone that is a student of NASA history would recognized (e.g. Maxim Faget). He was only 24 when the Space Task Group and the Manned Spacecraft Center moved to Houston in 1962. But his group worked in Mission Analysis working on trajectories and fuel requirements for putting the lunar module on the moon.

In 1963, he transferred into Structures and Mechanics. Met mom taking dance lessons in Houston, married in 1964. Houston at this time was rocket crazy, so astronauts were rock stars, and anyone that worked at NASA, let's just say, were desirable dates. ;)

From 1963 to 1968, he worked on acoustics and vibration testing on the Apollo capsule and lunar module. This testing was needed to ensure things held together, astronauts could function in a rattling craft, etc. He left NASA in 1968 since it was pretty much known by then the hardware was proven and that NASA would be doing reductions in force.

Interestingly, by then, NASA had already started early studies on the Space Shuttle with the goal to privatize the program (SpaceX is NOT a new idea, it's been going on for decades). And the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston (we now know as Johnson Space Center) had already begun working with area colleges, namely Texas A&M's Engineering Extension. Dad worked on a study with Texas A&M while still at NASA in Houston, completing it in early 1968. That naturally led him to go to post-graduate studies at Texas A&M, then on to work at the Southwest Research Institute, a contractor with NASA that worked on vibration for the Space Shuttle.

Side note on the A&M connection - Since we lost dad when I was in junior high and he only went to post-graduate studies at Texas A&M, I cannot say I even connected that dot when choosing to go to A&M. Mom had already been an Aggie fan from her childhood, since grandma dated a Corps guy back in the 1920s. Ultimately, grandma married someone else, but apparently it was enough to leave an impression on grandma that mom was always an Aggie fan. When it was time for me to go to college, I had to pay my own way, and the Corps at A&M offered me some scholarship money, so my path went there too.

Jul 26, 2019, 2:15 PM

Safe travels and definitely good luck after the Clemson trip. I would love luv LOVE for A&M to win their SEC division or even the whole conference. Its high time for some new blood in the mix over there!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic