Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: What really happened with Swofford and the extra year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 51

Front Page Story: What really happened with Swofford and the extra year

May 18, 2012, 12:07 PM

What really happened with Swofford and the extra year

The curious case of ACC Commissioner John Swofford and the extra year of Clemson’s probation back in the early 80’s has been a hot topic for quite a while. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, don't ruin this for us..it was Swofford, the rat #######***

May 18, 2012, 12:12 PM

Please don't let facts get in the way of a good story!***

May 18, 2012, 12:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Good job, David Hood

May 18, 2012, 12:19 PM

A very nice piece of journalism, even if the facts aren't what many of us thought.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good job, David Hood

May 25, 2012, 10:28 PM

Bull Chit!!! They are exactly what the ones of us that were there then. Swoffy was very candid alright. Very candid in dancing around evey question. He answered not one question directly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Impossible!***

May 18, 2012, 12:19 PM

^^^^

May 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
impossibru.jpg(61.8 K)

Re: Front Page Story: What really happened with Swofford and the extra year

May 18, 2012, 12:20 PM

Nice try David. I was around during this period in time and no "report" 30 years late is going to convince me of what EVERYONE knew at the time.
Swofford is a tool, could care less about anything that isn't blue and is the worst Commissioner in the history of the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, well I was around too...

May 15, 2023, 9:07 PM

...and David's got his facts right on. There are plenty of good reasons for us to dislike Swofford, we don't have to make up stuff, but people will believe whatever they choose...

Re: Yeah, well I was around too...

May 25, 2012, 10:30 PM

That is just so hideous!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

May 18, 2012, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: What really happened with Swofford and the extra year ]

Some people...

LOL all you want doofus

May 18, 2012, 12:47 PM

while his rhetoric may be a bit "excited", the gist of his post is accurate....and Mr. Hood has offered little in the way of evidence to disprove unc didn't spearhead the additional probation.......and Swofford WAS the most visible person in the unc athletic dept hiearchy

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The facts say different. Nice try though.***

May 18, 2012, 1:02 PM

prove it.....show me the facts from the article that

May 18, 2012, 1:03 PM

prove unc wasn't the driving force behind Clemson's extra year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was that a coot talking about facts?

May 18, 2012, 1:04 PM

Thought they were incapable of using or understand such a thing

show me the facts that the UNC did lead the charge.

May 18, 2012, 2:29 PM [ in reply to prove it.....show me the facts from the article that ]

David's article had people involved offer a different take and say Swofford did not lead the charge.

There have been no "factual" statements on either side... that UNC did lead the charge or did not lead the charge.

So, you want someone to prove that he did not lead the extra year penalty.... then step up and prove that he did.

I believe that the USA stands by innocent until proven guilty. But I could be wrong.

good grief sport

May 18, 2012, 2:39 PM

the whole crux of Hood's entire article is to show that Swofford, personally, didn't press the vote for Clemson to receive an extra year. You did understand that didn't you???

And as I posted elsewhere, its possible that, because Swofford was the most visible individual in the unc athletic department, his name and face stuck with Clemson fans AFTER they found out that it was unc leading the the charge to get Clemson additional penalties. I was around both Clemson and unc in those days, and the atmosphere at both was filled with common knowledge that it was unc who pushed the hardest for Clemson's additional sanction. I daresay, I encountered many unc folks at the time who were PROUD of the fact that unc "gave" it to Clemson.

The point of Hood's article is disproving Swofford was personally responsible. That may be. But he offered absolutely nothing in evidence that unc was the primary mover in Clemson's extra year.

And this isn't a court of law. Nobody's charged with a crime

Apparently it wasn't common knowledge to the people involved

May 18, 2012, 3:26 PM

in the situation - only to message board posters and fans.

There were no message boards then

May 19, 2012, 5:00 PM

...and what the fork do you care about the topic anyhow, chickentroll??

Re: show me the facts that the UNC did lead the charge.

May 25, 2012, 10:35 PM [ in reply to show me the facts that the UNC did lead the charge. ]

Just like the people David talked to could say who didn't. But couldn't say who did. Hello. I can't see the forest for the trees.

Re: The facts say different. Nice try though.***

May 18, 2012, 1:14 PM [ in reply to The facts say different. Nice try though.*** ]

What facts that you speak of, where are they. I read the whole article. And there has been NO facts presented. But coots never know what facts are. Just coot logic will do!!!

sure

May 18, 2012, 3:29 PM

there were -

your own SID doesn't recall Swofford being involved at all.

The Maryland AD says he wasn't - that they weren't the people running the meetings (more experienced people were)

and South Carolina left the ACC b/c they couldn't compete

May 18, 2012, 4:41 PM

that's the word from the other members.

but that's not true.

May 19, 2012, 9:23 AM

and it's a poor attempt to badly change the subject.

hahaha, some peopel HAVE to belive certain things.***

May 18, 2012, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: What really happened with Swofford and the extra year ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i still don't like swoffie at all!***

May 18, 2012, 12:21 PM

As punishment for blaming Swofford all of these years, I

May 18, 2012, 12:22 PM

think Clemson should be kicked out of the ACC immediately! Maybe we can land in another conference if lucky! It would be so disappointing to have to leave the ACC and still have roughly $20 million or so! ;)

^^^not joking***

May 18, 2012, 12:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose its possible that Swofford's name has become

May 18, 2012, 12:24 PM

the focal point of Clemson's vitriol for the extra year penalty assessed in 1982, and it may be that his name and face were simply "guilty by association" because of his job as Athletic Director.

In those days, I was travelling frequently between the upstate and Chapel Hill (approximately every other weekend and all holidays) and I can personally attest the rhetoric emanating from that university was so unbelievably anti-Clemson, it is difficult now to accurately portray.

While some faculty representative may have actually done the voting, there is no question in my mind that:
1) the assault & battery on Clemson was led by the unc mob.
2) Swofford, as AD, had some input into unc's vote.

Maryland's AD at the time admitted he didn't have

May 18, 2012, 1:03 PM

any "say so" in Maryland's vote.

So it's only an assumption to believe that Swofford did.

and its only your assumption

May 18, 2012, 1:05 PM

that he wasn't. Nothing in the article is a direct quote from Swofford or the unc faculty rep. Maryland's not unc

Also from your SID -

May 18, 2012, 3:30 PM

who said the same thing.

so it's your SID, the Maryland AD against fans on the internet.

That pretty much sez it all.***

May 19, 2012, 6:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

since reading comprehension has never been your forte

May 19, 2012, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Also from your SID - ]

while in search of the chickentroll point of view, I'll repeat what my post said. Swofford may have accrued some blame from Clemson fans because of his visible job with the unc athletic department, but I remember clearly being told that unc led the movement to assess Clemson an extra year.

Why don't you drag your chickenAzz back to fgf tymick....your being morally reprehensible on this board has become boring to the rest of us.

Point for putting a chicken in his place and for doing it in

May 19, 2012, 5:39 PM

such a way as to clue me in to what the ignored annoying coot said to tick you off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Thanks Tymick1 for a gamecock's opinion on a Clemson...

May 18, 2012, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Maryland's AD at the time admitted he didn't have ]

subject, where like death and taxes you can be counted on 100% to give the anti Clemson perspective. At least you are cocnsistent in that respect. Oh and BTW, congrats on your football program's SECOND MAJOR NCAAA probation in a 7 year period. #### shame the punishment tooday isnt what it was 30 years ago...#### shame. If it was, you would not HAVE a fb program.

You are more than Welcome.***

May 18, 2012, 3:29 PM

Why is it anti-Clemson to state what's pretty

May 19, 2012, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Thanks Tymick1 for a gamecock's opinion on a Clemson... ]

Obvious here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazing tymick and the rest of the jerkchickentrolls NEVER

May 19, 2012, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Thanks Tymick1 for a gamecock's opinion on a Clemson... ]

have a negative opinion about usuck's second major probation in less than a decade.

Maybe not.

May 18, 2012, 12:29 PM

Would be curious to know why CU evidently took no further action after the news came out in Aug '84 that the Executive Comm should've handled the appeal. I may be wrong, but it looks like there could have been some basis for legal action since the ACC violated its by-laws.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I've been vocal in my dislike but this changes my feelings

May 18, 2012, 12:31 PM

not one darn bit. the tv contract, coddling and hand holding UNC in their NCAA process, the Raycom thing, girdle gate, and conflict of interest regarding BC joining are examples of why he must go. Most of all just the conflict of interested as a former student and former employee of a conference school should disqualify him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've been vocal in my dislike but this changes my feelings

May 18, 2012, 12:45 PM

Don't forget that Corrigan (SP) was the AD at UVA prior to being the ACC Commissioner, so its not like it is unprecedented and that the commissioner of any conference should offer to go before the NCAA with a member school (GT turned down his offer when they got busted)...but that being said SWOFFORD STILL NEEDS TO GO!!

swoffie still sucks***

May 18, 2012, 12:32 PM

May 18, 2012, 12:45 PM

Same Ole double talk even after all these years, was not me must have been someone else, Even the ACC can not or will not go by their rules

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2012, 1:19 PM

Now please remove the scum face off the front page. It makes me throw up!!!

David Hood's article reiterates the newspaper accounts . . .

May 18, 2012, 1:27 PM

. . of the day. Some of these are the articles that I posted back in late March of this year when this was the hot topic here on T'net.

If curious, the articles posted were:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1093262&messageID=12063594#12063594

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1093262&messageID=12064228#12064228

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1092486&messageID=12051755#12051755

While one may not like the answer, it is what it is. And certainly not that the extra year was warranted.

Additionally, though, I concur that there are plenty of other incidents which would cause one to recognize that the current conference commissioner is not Clemson's friend!

Thanx for clippings! Botched appeal needed 2/3 vote 2 uphold***

May 19, 2012, 1:13 PM

Also points out how Atchley

May 21, 2012, 8:26 PM [ in reply to David Hood's article reiterates the newspaper accounts . . . ]

dropped the ball by not submitting another appeal after the conference admitted their mistake.

Outstanding David. Thanks for doing the legwork.

May 18, 2012, 1:33 PM

None of this changes my opinion on John Swofford as ACC Commissioner but he should not be vilified for things that he was not involved in.

null

So does this replace the interview with him?

May 18, 2012, 1:34 PM

I can't say it will ever be put to rest until we hear it from the horses/devils mouth. It's easy to spin things decades later like the low life coots do pertaining to the probation given under the actual Pell era.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that was NOT the expose we all wanted. Pewp!

May 18, 2012, 1:35 PM

OK, so Swofturd is exonerated of those specific charges. I agree with all the posts above, however, that there is still plenty to hate about the smug bluebellie. He is a horrible commissioner and simply must go if the ACC is ever to fulfill its potential. Homerism and nepotism have no place in a conference office.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once a group of people decide to not like someone, there

May 18, 2012, 2:00 PM

is nothing that you can do to change it. Human nature dictates Swofford will be demonized on Tigernet no matter what happens.

Re: Once a group of people decide to not like someone, there

May 18, 2012, 2:11 PM

Well, he is still a suckazz commissioner.

So can we sue the acc for screwing up the appeals process or

May 18, 2012, 3:10 PM

Has our statue of limitations run out.

May 18, 2012, 3:27 PM

Thank you, David Hood.

May 18, 2012, 3:49 PM

So, was there a faculty representative vote for the unc probation a couple weeks back?

If not, is it too late to initiate one?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As the child of university faculty I believe this

May 18, 2012, 4:28 PM

As much as I still don't like Swofford, I have no doubt this story is accurate. Faculty at most ACC schools look down their nose at athletics and in particular football.

In fact, if the same process (faculty reps) were in place today, I have no doubt that UNCheat would receive an extra year.

We are actually fortunate to have had BJ Skelton, who is much more level-headed and understands the positive impact a well-run athletic department can have on academics.

We are also now fortunate to have Barker (and back then RC Edwards). I seen many Clemson presidents up close and you will not find two more dedicated to Clemson. You will also not find two more able to balance athletics and academics. Those of you that call for Barker's head should be careful what you wish for.

nice work David***

May 18, 2012, 5:41 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

One major point that people seem to be overlooking, if

May 18, 2012, 6:04 PM

David's facts are correct. The leadership at Clemson twice let the ACC violate their own procedures. Shame on us if we did. Had we taken the ACC to court regarding the process, this would have been a slam dunk for Clemson.

It does appear that David has his story correct.

Nice work David! I look forward to reading more as you continue to research this story.

LMAO and so I'm not a devil's advocate, just

May 18, 2012, 6:27 PM

sane.

Why the silence on his part?***

May 18, 2012, 6:40 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2012, 7:00 PM

Ok but that doesn't mean that Soffie isn't a D! ck

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

bs***

May 18, 2012, 8:11 PM

Re: bs*** Ha, I took your pulse from 0 to 100 with one TU.

May 18, 2012, 8:15 PM

You deserved it too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2012, 9:11 PM

Excellent Article
Not what I expected... and really not what I hoped for. But still an excellent article. Thanks to David Hood for digging for the truth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2012, 9:20 PM

Thanks for the story.

Good reporting!... even though it bulldozed my grassy knoll.***

May 19, 2012, 1:17 AM

Re: Good reporting!... even though it bulldozed my grassy knoll.***

May 19, 2012, 8:05 AM

Good grief Razz! Seriuosly. I couldn't wait to get to your post. I knew you would have hacked into some ACC X-files, and came up with the truth.

Me, I blame the Maya and that dang calender! :)

Go Tigers!

May 19, 2012, 6:29 AM

It's just more fun to blame it on Swofford since we like to hate him and the Tarholes!Why did David go and spoil our fun with the legend? Now the facts have ruined our story!

May 19, 2012, 8:15 AM

What facts? Men with nervous laughter, a smoke filled room, no eye contact during statements made.

Where are the meeting minutes? All of the institutions involved were (are) public. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). File the request David.

Meanwhile, We're starving for some footbaw! Dissect the pistol or something. What's Tajh having for lunch these days? Is Adam Humphries doing speed drills? Interview Venables, he always has something cool to say.

Footbaw David, Footbaw! What else is there?

May 19, 2012, 8:39 AM

Did you interview any of the active Clemson FB coaches at the time. Surely they would not only have a perspective, but they're perspective may not be to protect the institution.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Newsflash: Sherman never burned Columbia or Atlanta.

May 19, 2012, 5:07 PM

It was all a big misunderstanding.

So Sherman's "Jefferson Award" for good citizenship was

May 19, 2012, 5:21 PM

in error??

May 19, 2012, 8:38 PM

Well file the freedom of information act and get the minutes from the meeting.

Its not like Swofford did not include Raycom in the new deal with ESPN.

I wonder who's son works for Raycom.

thanks for the info-good questions above, why didn't we

May 20, 2012, 9:02 PM

push for a proper "board" to review our case? The swoff still puts us at a disadvantage whenever he can, even if he had nothing to do with probation.

Re: thanks for the info-good questions above, why didn't we

May 20, 2012, 9:21 PM

U sure are right!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 75
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic