Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nike question and Dan Radakovich’s answer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Nike question and Dan Radakovich’s answer

Jul 24, 2019, 4:27 PM

Dan was asked what Clemson’s policy was moving forward regarding Nike and their unholy “Left Coast” unpatriotic alliance with Colin “ungrateful idiot” Kaepernick.

He said that “only 5 people” have e-mailed him and that the Clemson / Nike University Division relationship has been, and continues to be strong and highly profitable. Having said that, there would always continue to be a “monitoring of the situation”.

The question was then posed that if a non-Christian, non-white or racially controversial situation was to arise instead of our flag, would Clemson treat that the same way?!?!

I would submit with a resounding “NO”!

Clemson has a rich history of young men graduating, serving, and, unfortunately, yes, dying for our nation on the battlefield so that Clemson and many others may enjoy the fruits of those incredible sacrifices.

I’m incredibly disappointed with this self serving, opportunistic attitude where the $ supersedes doing what is right. Shame on our leadership for not immediately severing the relationship we have with the Nike organization.

Changes my attitude about many things that I have cherished my whole adult life.

For this, I apologize to my fallen brothers...

Semper Fidelis

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...and one favor to ask...

Jul 24, 2019, 4:34 PM

If you feel as strongly about this as I do, please reach out to the Clemson Athletic Dept and let them know.

Apparently, the only way they will react by doing the right thing and letting Nike know that they either should apologize and reverse their earlier behavior, or, Clemson will sever the existing contract and ally with a company who supports American values and honors the flag that binds us all together.

Re: ...and one favor to ask...

Jul 24, 2019, 5:00 PM

He is supporting an extremely American value- FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Almost every day someone says something with which I do not agree, but I will defend until the day I die their freedom to do so. MNy three brothers served in the South Pacific and Europe in WWII and I served in Korea so don't come back with any patriotism comments.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from

Jul 24, 2019, 5:10 PM

consequences. I agree with you on his right to kneel (which isn't speech by the way), but I also have the right to boycott Nike because I disagree with him disrespecting my flag.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

You certainly have the right to boycott Nike

Jul 24, 2019, 5:18 PM

But that also doesn’t mean you have to try to force it on everyone else.

Also don’t want to spoil the fun but the 57 of you that email DRad telling him that Clemson should drop Nike will make absolutely no impact.

I don't believe in economic boycotts of products etc.

Jul 24, 2019, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from ]

based on political issues etc. -- save that for countries you are trying to get back in line........ I choose products based on how they feel, look, function not based on who or who doesn't promote it and that's not changing. I've seen a bunch of small business's ruined over bs social media fanned boycotts-- it's utterly ridiculous and disgusting imo

you don't understand the 1st Amendment

Jul 24, 2019, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from ]

"...on his right to kneel (which isn't speech by the way)"

you're totally wrong

it is 'speech' 'speech' can mean words or actions

wearing a jacket with the words "F### the Draft" is speech: Cohen v. Calif

burning a flag: Texas v Johnson

from the Johnson case: "It is poignant but fundamental that the flag protects those who hold it in contempt.” -Justice Anthony Kennedy

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/educational-resources/about-educational-outreach/activity-resources/what-does

action or words he had no right if the NFL didn't allow it

Jul 24, 2019, 9:36 PM

this had nothing to do with freedom of speech, I can't say what I want at work either. The NFL enabled it. And even if it did, lets just bypass what you are wrong about. Totally not the point, the poster has every right to lobby against him or Nike or to Lobby Clemson regarding Nike. Absurd to bring up "Freedom of Speech" as if that then prevents the poster from what he is doing.

Re: action or words he had no right if the NFL didn't allow it

Jul 24, 2019, 10:53 PM

So you are saying you stand for racial profiling, abuse of power, and wrongful imprisonment.

Jul 25, 2019, 5:25 AM [ in reply to action or words he had no right if the NFL didn't allow it ]

Jesus how is this that hard to understand. Like you said freedom of speech, not freedom from consequence. Clearly you don't get what that means.

The NFL can tell him he can't kneel, but the constitution says he can, it's protected speech. The NFL can't prohibit his freedom of speech, doing the action, but can fire him after the fact.

That being said, maybe you should read more about what kapernick is protesting, or I don't know just the history of protesting in general. Protesting is American and kapernick is also not wrong.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 6:57 AM

Exactly. The NFL actually could stop him from kneeling after the fact. That isnt protected from freedom of speech. Freedom of speech doesnt pertain to your employer. Freedom of speech protects you from the government. I support Colin though. Who cares anyway..

Re: Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from

Jul 24, 2019, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from ]

Unless your the president then you can say and do what you want.

Jul 24, 2019, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Re: ...and one favor to ask... ]

So did my family serve and so did I in Vietnam. And I will fight anyone who disrespects my USA flag - I don't care who it is!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 5:17 PM

my message was meant for Tiger Kid

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 7:56 PM

Don’t know what you mean by fight. It’s my flag too.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 6:53 PM [ in reply to ...and one favor to ask... ]

I doubt many feel as strongly about this as you do.

Most of us favor free speech, even if it's speech we disagree with.

Abraham Lincoln said that on the internet the other day...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta keep those Asian children employed

Jul 24, 2019, 4:53 PM

Re: Nike question and Dan Radakovich’s answer

Jul 24, 2019, 5:32 PM

He should have just laughed at such idiotic questions.

Jul 24, 2019, 8:23 PM

No, he shouldn’t have laughed, and it wasn’t an idiotic question. The right of free speech applies to everybody, including the press. Respect is something that seems to be a lost moral in this country, further demonstrated in your post. The “rights” that some people exercise are only able to be exercised because of the price that was paid and lives that were sacrificed to allow it. There is no fear of repercussion because of these “rights”. The problem with the Nike/Kaepernick situation isn’t about rights at all, it’s a display of ignorance on the part of Nike. Nike caved to an extreme leftist (divisionist, if you will) based on something he deemed “offensive” because of the symbolism that he claimed it portrayed. The public release about that reason was wrong, and couldn’t have been more wrong. The reason he didn’t want the shoes distributed is because of the portrayal of patriotism it would’ve displayed, and his kneeling, hypocritical self didn’t want that. The agenda is being pushed & pushed hard on our upcoming generations & it’s the blind in our society that continue to brush it off as just “rights” and are allowing it to happen right under their noses as they remain oblivious to the big picture. It’s situations like this that add up with others that are going to be the downfall of our nation.

Jul 25, 2019, 5:56 AM

Yeah the questions were idiotic. You're a moron as well.

It's the world we live in. Money is the deciding factor in

Jul 24, 2019, 5:47 PM

almost all decisions.

Re: It's the world we live in. Money is the deciding factor in

Jul 24, 2019, 6:14 PM

For information purposes only, there is no such thing as an Exyankee. Once you are born a yankee, there is no cure.

Jul 24, 2019, 6:39 PM

Nike and D.Rad can kiss my #$@

And it's your right to say that!

Jul 25, 2019, 9:26 AM

Consequently, I'll enjoy dealing with one less F-150 of traffic on gamedays!

I'm not too lazy to jump to conclusions either.

Jul 25, 2019, 10:38 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jul 24, 2019, 7:04 PM

I agree wholeheartedly and will send him an email right now if that's his response.

Thanks for posting.

LoL. You’re going to send him a strongly worded letter.

Jul 24, 2019, 10:31 PM

Just lol.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 7:16 PM

In the midst of all of this honoring our great nation, are you just as upset at Trump for being the liar he is? Or that he violated campaign laws by paying off a pron star while his wife was at home with their new born child? Or the fact that he continues till this very day to deny the Russians attempted to interfere in our democracy, and are poised to do it again because of his inaction?

But no, a shoe manufacturer....now there's a line you just don't cross?

Jul 24, 2019, 7:31 PM

Funny the topic was about Nike and you have to bring Trump into it??

Jul 24, 2019, 8:01 PM

The topic is really about our nation.

No - no it's not. It is about our University having a

Jul 24, 2019, 9:59 PM

massive alliance with a company and folks questioning if that company represents the core values of our our University Family & our heritage as a military engaged institution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

What does Clemson’s military history have anything to do with ColinK or Nike

Jul 24, 2019, 10:30 PM

Where did ColinK say he was protesting our military?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Nike question and Dan Radakovich’s answer ]

Felix2 Sits down when he pees...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And so do I, ever since my wife made me start cleaning the

Jul 25, 2019, 7:50 AM

bathroom floor around the toilet. Damb, am I ever a disgusting slob....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nike is what players want to wear

Jul 24, 2019, 8:04 PM

Some won't consider going to a school which doesn't have a Nike contract. I'm for whatever players want since they are the ones who actually wear the uniforms.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Nike is what players want to wear

Jul 24, 2019, 8:07 PM

That ship has sailed my friend. They want to come to where they will be a champion. They don't give a crap whose gear it is.

Re: Nike is what players want to wear

Jul 24, 2019, 8:31 PM

A 5-star recruit can't decide between two championship schools. However, one has a crappy uniform, the other wears a brand he likes...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Problem with doing what is "right" is that "right" is subjective.

Jul 24, 2019, 8:06 PM

Plenty of people fall on the other side of the debate and support Nike, Kaepernick, rapinoe, etc. And plenty more, such as myself, just don't feel strongly one way or another and would rather keep the Nike partnership because its beneficial to Clemson.

Re: Problem with doing what is "right" is that "right" is subjective.

Jul 25, 2019, 9:15 PM

Exactly. At the end of the day a guy took a knee, you can disagree with why he did it, but in his mind he was trying to bring attention to something he cared about. Again, you can disagree with what he was protesting about, and how he did it, but he wasn’t trying to disrespect the military...he even spoke to someone in the military who suggested kneeling instead of sitting because it was more respectful...

He didn’t hurt anyone, he didn’t try to hurt anyone, and he didn’t cost me a single second of sleep. People have overreacted to this like nothing I’ve ever seen before.

Then Nike signs him to a shoe deal so now Clemson should cost themselves millions and a ton of bad PR for doing so? Oh cry me a river people...seriously question why little things upset you so much.

Jul 24, 2019, 8:31 PM

I am certainly relieved that the OP is not in a decision making capacity in the athletic department.

Currently, Clemson is neutral on this issue and can enjoy the prestige of the Nike brand and the recruiting advantages which come with it, without having to anger one political side or the other.

Consider for a moment if Clemson abandoned Nike and the resulting consequences.

- We would be breaking a contract scheduled to run through 2028, incurring some financial penalty to be certain.

- We would be relegated to wearing Adidas with weird looking uniforms like NC State, Under Armor with substandard cleat and basketball shoes like UofSuk, or Russell Athletic because we really were digging 1990.

- Clemson would now be in the fray. Players and coaches would be asked about the "controversy" constantly. It would be a self-inflicted and completely unnecessary distraction from the mission at hand.

- Recruiting would suffer. Not only because Nike is the most popular brand, but also because Clemson would now be definitely taking a position against Nike and Kapernick. How do you think that would play with 16-18 year old students, many with a social conscious? Like it our not, Nike knows who their market it. Middle-aged white guys who populate sports message board are not sustaining Nike and are not really a part of their growth strategy. (Nothing against middle aged white dudes, I recently discovered I am one! Where did the years go?) Despite all the pronouncements of their impending demise, Nike has done exceptionally well financially since the Kapernick ad.

Nike knows what it is doing. And Clemson knows what it is doing by staying the heck out of it.

Jul 24, 2019, 10:24 PM

I am pretty far politically Right-sided these days.... but I agree with everything you just said. Hit the nail on the head perfectly (except for the part where you said the kids had a “social conscious” if that meant that right-sided people don’t...) but mostly bravo!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is exactly right

Jul 25, 2019, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Nike question and Dan Radakovich’s answer ]

It would throw every Clemson student-athlete headlong into the controversy.

It would dominate headlines for every sport, especially football.

It would not help a single Clemson student athlete, coach or fan. What good would it do? Satisfy a few minority extreme opinions? It would be asinine for Radakovich to make the move and he knows it.

Common sense folks! Do you really think Nike would...

Jul 24, 2019, 8:39 PM

pull a product that he spent money developing, manufacturing, and advertising over the word of spokesperson? Maybe Jordan might have had that clout but Kaepernick, a one year spokesman have that clout? Get real! Nike probably discovered something else was defective in those shoes and after the Zion Williamson blowout fiasco they couldn't afford the bad press of another defective product so they threw Kaepernick, who might have pointed out that the shoe could be found objectionable by some, under the bus. No way he had enough clout to keep that shoe off the market by himself.

If you don’t like it, then leave

Jul 24, 2019, 10:28 PM

Turn in your Clemson fandom and cheer for another team. The Coots don’t use Nike, so this should be good for you. So much butthurt and whining.

Also, this isn’t the P&R board

1 - this ia the foosball bored. 2. Quit letting a fringe

Jul 24, 2019, 10:40 PM

character cause you such distress. We're just over a month away from football! Go Tigers!

I love our Nike products! Thankfully we have a deal

Jul 25, 2019, 5:58 AM

With them over Adidas and Under Armour. I believe you’re blowing this way out of the water.

Before you try to play the patriotic card on me; my brother served two tours in Iraq. He wears Nike shoes almost every day.

Thank you for your service though.

Jul 25, 2019, 8:35 AM

The bill of rights only applies to the government.

Jul 25, 2019, 8:42 AM

Yawn

Clemson and Nike are in a contractual relationship...

Jul 25, 2019, 10:22 AM

and, on that basis, it's not a easy as simply severing the relationship.

We're effectively married to them and pregnant by them, at least for the duration of the current contract.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

So you're saying Clemson and Nike

Jul 25, 2019, 10:28 AM

had #####?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

where do you think the Orange and Purple shoes come from?***

Jul 25, 2019, 9:01 PM

lol...

Jul 25, 2019, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Clemson and Nike are in a contractual relationship... ]

what?!?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

TIL:

Jul 25, 2019, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Clemson and Nike are in a contractual relationship... ]

NIKE is a spurm donar.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

OP out of line. That is all.

Jul 25, 2019, 9:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic