Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about Lori Loughlin and Huffman scandal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 760

Question about Lori Loughlin and Huffman scandal

Mar 15, 2019, 7:38 AM

Exactly what laws did they break?

I know what they did was wrong and immoral but I don't understand what laws they broke.
The people they allegedly paid were not government officials. People pay money all the time for special attention. Boosters give money to schools to have buildings named for them. All kinds of money or services has changed hands for similar things for centuries. If you give the a restaurant host $20 for a table when there is a waiting list is that breaking the law?
I'm not condoning what the actresses did but does it warrant being handcuffed by Federal Agents while their guns are drawn or being sentenced to 4 years in jail. On top of all that the argument could be made that they were "seduced" into this by the ring leader, William Rick Singer who put out videos about his ability to help kids of wealthy people get accepted in college.

I must be missing something because no one else is questioning what laws were broken.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about Lori Loughlin and Huffman scandal

Mar 15, 2019, 7:42 AM

Very well said. I don’t understand it either. Jail time is absolutely ludicrous and all the people screaming for their heads would have done the same if in their position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What? Some of us have ethics***

Mar 15, 2019, 8:38 AM

Mar 15, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Question about Lori Loughlin and Huffman scandal ]

Wow. Someone is really butt hurt over this one. Lots of TD’s being slung around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is it the same if they hire a lawyer

Mar 15, 2019, 7:45 AM

To get them a reduced sentence, a trip to country club prison or off of all the charges?

Re: is it the same if they hire a lawyer

Mar 15, 2019, 7:52 AM

Country Club prison is still prison. Doesn’t matter. All of this is just so dumb.

one of the first things I said when this came out was

Mar 15, 2019, 8:22 AM

What’s the big deal?

Don’t elites do this all of the time with every aspect of life?

was talking to guys from work

Mar 15, 2019, 8:29 AM

dot Indians, they said in India this is how kids get into the good schools, you got to pay extra on the side

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Mar 15, 2019, 8:09 AM

Mail fraud & wire fraud. Conspiracy to commit same.

fraud has been a crime for quite a while.

Mar 15, 2019, 8:31 AM

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44701102/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/students-arrested-sat-cheating-scheme/#.XIuahLJOmhA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mail/Wire Fraud. First thing that came up when I googled it***

Mar 15, 2019, 8:38 AM

Fraud. I don't see how your "building naming" analogy

Mar 15, 2019, 9:01 AM

applies. (That's an agreed situation between 2 parties that doesn't affect other parties.)

Usually though, fraud results in someone getting money that they weren't entitled to. These folks got "something" that they weren't entitled to - obtained under false pretenses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As other people have said: fraud

Mar 15, 2019, 9:07 AM

but also messing with the SAT.

Pearson don't take no ####

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Sure, Fraud and Bribery at a minimum. And I’m glad it is getting a lot of attention.

Mar 15, 2019, 9:31 AM

Not because of the whole class-warfare BS that’s fueling it, but because there shouldn’t be a “what’s the big deal?” reaction. We should hate corruption, bribery, fraud.

I have no problem with a rich family getting their idiot child into Harvard because they are going to pay for a new building. Students are admitted for all sorts of reasons and if that one doofus results in a better facility for all, that’s a cost/benefit analysis a school should be able to make.

These people lied. They corrupted the process. They should be held accountable and we should be shaming them.

null

^^^ I want to change my answer to what he said ^^^***

Mar 15, 2019, 9:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thank you for this statement

Mar 15, 2019, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Sure, Fraud and Bribery at a minimum. And I’m glad it is getting a lot of attention. ]

I was sure we were doomed there for a moment, then you showed up to save the day.

Lol. Okay.***

Mar 15, 2019, 11:24 AM

null

I hear ya, and I don’t disagree

Mar 15, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Sure, Fraud and Bribery at a minimum. And I’m glad it is getting a lot of attention. ]

I guess it’s just another case of something that will never change

Athlete on steroids? No way
Politician lied? Shocker
Addict OD’d? Get out
Money was used for gain? Outrageous

And I see how I’m proving your point of we shouldn’t have a what’s the big deal attitude.

I just put it up there with everything else that’s never going to change.

Call me jaded

They were double dipping too correct?

Mar 15, 2019, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Sure, Fraud and Bribery at a minimum. And I’m glad it is getting a lot of attention. ]

"Donating" the money to a "charity" and claiming it as a deductible contribution.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Yeah probably tax evasion.***

Mar 15, 2019, 2:28 PM

null

Google says conspiracy to commit mail fraud

Mar 15, 2019, 9:35 AM

and honest services mail fraud.

Finally---I was hoping someone would give us the answer.***

Mar 15, 2019, 9:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Honest services mail fraud"... Is that a new law or did

Mar 15, 2019, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Google says conspiracy to commit mail fraud ]

it get overlooked for the Wall Street barons in 2007/2008? I'm sure you could add the conspiracy part, too...

Replies: 22
| visibility 760
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic