Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For want of a nail the game is lost! Or, a helmet chin strap solution needed!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

For want of a nail the game is lost! Or, a helmet chin strap solution needed!

Nov 5, 2018, 5:27 AM

Ok, it’s bad enough to see a Tiger helmet come off in a critical game and a key player has to, unless a result of a penalty, sit out a play.

I just watched the replay of the WVA @ TX game. Late in 3rd qtr and TX has to make WVA 4 for a 1st & goal. QB runs and initial spot has him making the 4 by 2” - but his helmet comes off.

TX likely to score at least a FG with four try’s from the 4 yd line. But a play is dead the instant the helmet comes off. After about a 15-min review the call is the TX QB was short of the 4 when his hat came off = 1st down for WVA who ended up winning by 1 point on a gutsy end of game 2pt conversion.

Now, had the QB’s helmet not come off, it’s possible TX may have won this game.

So, how difficult is it to engineer a chin strap that won’t come off without a unique sequence - like a child-proof top. I know in boating they have snaps that turn to secure a grommet so it will not just pull loose like a snap fastener. May not be deemed “safe” on a football helmet as the turn part protrudes.

Ok, Tiger engineers, this is your task: design a safe chin snap fastener for Clemson that won’t come off in regular play. Ready, GO!

Ps - I’ll share patent rights 50-50!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This repeated loss of helmet thingy is ridiculous, even

Nov 5, 2018, 6:18 AM

though I know it's caused sometimes by opponents ripping them off.

Makes me think they are ill-fitted......or perhaps, need assistance with duct tape! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For want of a nail the game is lost! Or, a helmet chin strap solution needed!

Nov 5, 2018, 6:27 AM

I think helmets are designed to break away as a safety measure to prevent serious neck injuries.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly right... if helmet stays on, necks get broken***

Nov 5, 2018, 7:34 AM

Re: For want of a nail the game is lost! Or, a helmet chin strap solution needed!

Nov 5, 2018, 6:35 AM

A lot of kids are not properly fastening their straps...it's "cool" to have one strap hanging.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 7:47 AM

In this particular case it’s an unsolvable problem - Texas QB has a giant, block-shaped head and helmet shells are roundish so the solution is the empty set.

Nov 5, 2018, 10:03 AM

Now that’s just cruel. Funny, but cruel!

Don’t even want to see you get started on Bentley’s 5-head!

I have wondered why a face mask can't be made to release

Nov 5, 2018, 8:13 AM

with a certain amount of pull applied to it? Seems that would be a good safety feature.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now this is a very good idea!

Nov 5, 2018, 10:08 AM

Except you keep those types of face masks only on skill offensive players (RBs, QBs and WRs/tight ends).

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic