Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Folks need to chill on our inability to beat UGA for OL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Folks need to chill on our inability to beat UGA for OL

Dec 5, 2018, 9:43 AM

Folks need to expect that we're going to lose most of the battles for top O-linemen and RBs to UGA. Just like we'll probably win most of the head to head battles with them for top QBs and WRs. At this point it should not be a shock or a big deal anymore. We still get our share of 4 star OL and RBs. We just likely won't get the top guys at those positions until success at the NFL levels at those spots occur from our guys.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Folks need to chill on our inability to beat UGA for OL

Dec 5, 2018, 9:46 AM

Everyone wants to act like Clemson is the only team losing 5 star o-linemen to UGA. I'm pretty sure everybody else wants those players as well.

Everybody is losing battles for o-linemen to UGA right now.

Dec 5, 2018, 9:49 AM

QB'S? Watson and Lawrence. WR we go to Florida and Alabama. Chilling is not needed. We are succeeding despite our horrid O-line recruiting. The ironic thing is that Caldwell seems to be a good coach. He just develops talent better than he recruits. I guess it's good either way, but just think what he could do with 4 or 5 highly regarded recruits. I just think we want to see more top notch lineman pick the Tigers.

Dec 5, 2018, 10:05 AM

Horrid is a huge exaggeration. It's not like we are playing with 2 and 3 star guys on the o-line.

Please step away from the ledge.

Sure it would be great to get a few more 5 star guys. I'm sure everybody except UGA feels that way right now.

Dec 5, 2018, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Folks need to chill on our inability to beat UGA for OL ]

The word Horrid has no application when discussing Clemson football. Chill!

Good point

Dec 5, 2018, 10:00 AM

Webb was always a long shot. But I don’t think it’s a hot take to say our OL recruiting has been a disappointment. 2020 is looking up but we desperately needed talent and depth in 2019.

We lose 2 guys

Dec 5, 2018, 1:31 PM

We'll have an excellent starting 5 and depth next year. Carmen, Simpson, Cervenka, Pollard and Anchrum backed by Reeves, Bockhorst, Giella, Stewart and Vinson. Guys like McFadden and Dehond working in to the mix

Re: We lose 2 guys

Dec 5, 2018, 5:36 PM

Giella is marshmallow soft and out of shape

Message was edited by: orangecoloredglasses®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow that was depressing.

Dec 5, 2018, 10:12 AM

So just because we have lost battles in the past to UGA for OL/RB, we shouldn't be frustrated when we lose to them again? I hope Dabo doesn't follow this logic.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Wow that was depressing.

Dec 5, 2018, 10:39 AM

WHAT IS REALLY DEPRESSING IS READING YOUR POSTS.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 11:11 AM

Fix your keyboard dude. Typical in all caps is annoying as hell.

Wait just a minute! deroberts is

Dec 5, 2018, 11:21 AM

a dude??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Wait just a minute! deroberts is

Dec 5, 2018, 11:46 AM

not a dude. the dude.

Dec 5, 2018, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Wow that was depressing. ]

never have figured the all caps thing. seems to me the bigger letters are easier to read.

11th in Sacks Allowed, 10th in Rushing Offense, 11th in Red Zone Offense

Dec 5, 2018, 10:53 AM

I realize we have remarkable skill players, but these stats don’t happen with a bad offensive line.

I looked at Rivals, and yes, in 2017 all the elite OL (5 star) went to Bama (3!), Stanford (2), Ohio St and UGA (1 each). In 2018, 2 to UGA, 1 to Ohio State and one to us.

We are fine. We can always do better but we are getting linemen that 95% of other college teams would kill for, and apparently we develop them well.

null

Quality argument aside

Dec 5, 2018, 11:17 AM

Signing just 2 last year and 1 in the fold this year is simply not enough bodies. The goal should be 4 every year to maintain depth.

And we’ve signed 2 5 star OL in the last 5 years. There’s been a handful of 4 stars (Simpson, Bockhorst) but on the whole we are not bringing in the talent at the position that the teams we are now competing with are. But by far the most concerning is the lack of numbers.

Quality argument aside

Dec 5, 2018, 11:17 AM [ in reply to 11th in Sacks Allowed, 10th in Rushing Offense, 11th in Red Zone Offense ]

Signing just 2 last year and 1 in the fold this year is simply not enough bodies. The goal should be 4 every year to maintain depth.

And we’ve signed 2 5 star OL in the last 5 years. There’s been a handful of 4 stars (Simpson, Bockhorst) but on the whole we are not bringing in the talent at the position that the teams we are now competing with are. But by far the most concerning is the lack of numbers.

Re: Quality argument aside

Dec 5, 2018, 11:26 AM

Are there any late bloomers that the staff is looking at for the February signing period?

This has served us well with DBs lately to get on them late. Any chance we take that approach this year for o-line?

We have some fallback options

Dec 5, 2018, 11:50 AM

Who have small school offers. At this point I’d hope we try to poach some recruits from other schools. NC State has a solid OL class with a couple guys from Charlotte so maybe we go after them? That’s just speculation/guesswork from me though no inside sources.

QuackingTiger (from STS, great twitter follow for analysis and recruiting) said to keep an eye on Jake Wray who just decommitted from Ohio St.

Wray is a 2020 prospect and it should be unacceptable

Dec 5, 2018, 12:00 PM

for our program year in, year out to have to hit the fallback board for OL.

That's what happens when you carry too light of a board for recruits.

Re: Wray is a 2020 prospect and it should be unacceptable

Dec 5, 2018, 12:26 PM

This just in..... Carmen was not a fallback guy. Bockhorst was not a fallback guy. Simpson was not a fallback guy. Hyatt was not a fallback guy. I think you get the idea.

Carrying too light of a board??????

Wouldn't everyone who is not your #1 guy be a fallback? How would having a longer list help with avoiding fallback guys?

Re: Wray is a 2020 prospect and it should be unacceptable

Dec 5, 2018, 6:39 PM

They absolutely need to operate with an expanded board for OL. Offering Stacey Wilkins two days before he was scheduled to commit and not even seeming to gauge interest with a guy like Vimahi is not a winning formula.

As of now we have 3 commits across 2 classes and are going to have no real tackle depth next season. One injury and we could be in a very bad spot against good teams. We're getting outworked too often.

Dec 5, 2018, 11:18 AM

Why would someone give a TD to this post ? I can see disagreeing, but a TD is bush league. On open exchange is good, a different opinion is good, an open mind is better. I've certainly changed my mind on certain topics after reading all the comments.

Other than obvious trolls, lets keep it classy folks.

We need to pull some of those guys out of other regions

Dec 5, 2018, 11:18 AM

The staff recruits nationally.

For once, I agree with you

Dec 5, 2018, 11:48 AM

We will get who we get and we will be fine. People need to chill. We have never been able to land these kind of OL prospects before

well that is just pitiful...Is being ok with losing part of

Dec 5, 2018, 12:40 PM

our mantra now? Best is Standard, but chill on losing players to lesser schools?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic