Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Season TV thread!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,753

Football Season TV thread!!

Aug 12, 2015, 7:47 AM

I have a 50 inch older TV guys and I'm looking to upgrade to better enjoy this seasons football . If you guys know if any great TV deals, sharem!

I think I'm gonna go at least a 65 but my wife keeps rolling her eyes when I mention it. She says I can't have one that big unless I take her to Myrtle Beach. So guess what, I'm leaving the 21 st lol. So I guess I'm getting a bigger one. Hehe

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Samsung 4K 65"........

Aug 12, 2015, 8:27 AM

....juat got it. Love it. Not many shows broadcast in 4K yet but the picture is amazing. Whatever size you think you want go one larger! Want to sell your old TV? My son needs a college TV. The 12 year old Samsung plasma I gave him 4 years ago just died.

Message was edited by: CU TLGTN®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Does ANYTHING broadcast in 4K?

Dec 27, 2020, 11:36 AM

Most HD channels are only 1080i.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

Aug 12, 2015, 8:50 AM

4K is way ahead of any broadcast channels. Only some streaming devices and media players use it. Most streaming media is also compressed and then your device has to try to upconvert it back to 4K.

Mostly 4K is a marketing ploy to sell new TVs, much like 3D and "curved" flat screens.

The good thing about 4K is it's driving the prices down on other great TVs.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Re: No.

Aug 12, 2015, 10:02 AM

Correct, I bought a 55" 4K curve and took it back next day bc 4k viewing is slim to none. And 4k is so far a head of time for cable, it may have been worn out before I could view as 4k, so I'll wait until it's worth the extra money to buy a 4k TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tips

Aug 12, 2015, 8:36 AM

-I've never heard someone say, "Dang, I wish I had bought a smaller TV." (This is why, when I was contemplating a 55inch, I just got a 65inch. I'm so glad I did)

-Don't get 3d -- it's dumb.

-Only get a smart TV that can get on ESPN3. You'll then be able to watch Clemson games that aren't televised and are on ESPN3. Smart TVs that can't get on ESPN3 aren't worth my time (I don't use Netflix, etc.)

-If you're buying a 65" TV, get a 1080p LCD (LED) and ENSURE it's 240Hz. Otherwise you're going to see shadows and streaks across your screen when the players are moving around. 120Hz doesn't look good at all on a TV bigger than 42", and 60Hz is unwatchable.

-Get Samsung. You won't go wrong. Sony is coming up in the world and LG isn't too bad.

-Go ahead and plan on getting some kind of sound system; your TVs sound quality will suck. A sound bar will work as they have become really good lately, but there are some really nice sound systems out there that aren't the price of a Bose. Take a look at Klipsch -- they test just as well as Bose and they're sooooo much cheaper.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DON'T get a smart TV

Aug 12, 2015, 8:54 AM

Get a dumb TV and a streaming box...you'll (most likely) get more bang for you buck w/ the TV, and not be stuck up sub-par streaming capabilities that you can't upgrade cheaply when that tech becomes obsolete or is no longer updated

^^^An andriod box or similar will be better all around....***

Aug 12, 2015, 9:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^An andriod box or similar will be better all around....***

Aug 12, 2015, 9:40 AM

I'm solo bummed I bought a 55 inch ultra hd 4k Sony that is incredible picture and sound.... Just for football but life happens, hours at work cut etc.... So I have the TV but we had to cut off the cable to save money so this TV is just sitting here and j downloaded Sling TV for all the sports networks :(

I learned this the hard way. Smart tv are not nearly as smart

Aug 12, 2015, 9:50 AM [ in reply to DON'T get a smart TV ]

As phones. Samsung direct and Samsung link stuck monkey but.

I have a Samsung tv and phone. Linking the 2 is a pita. Always.

Using the tv to pull anything off my network drive is a tedious process that requires a fresh set up every single time.

Dunno about other tvs but the Samsung I have also does not see file folders. When I do connect to my network drive the tv sees 3000 files.

I just dont understand how my $200 4 inch phone is exponentially smarter than my $1000 60 inch tv.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Klipsch speakers rule***

Aug 12, 2015, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Tips ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Tips

Aug 12, 2015, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Tips ]

I bought the Bose sound thingy with my Samsung smart 60", and it has awesome sound, especially with movies!!!

Re: Tips

Aug 12, 2015, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Tips ]

> -Only get a smart TV that can get on ESPN3. You'll
> then be able to watch Clemson games that aren't
> televised and are on ESPN3. Smart TVs that can't get
> on ESPN3 aren't worth my time (I don't use Netflix,
> etc.)

My samsung TV will mirror the screen on my phone or my Samsung tablet. All I have to do is stream ESPN3 to my mobile devices and then mirror them on the TV. Works perfectly.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: Football Season TV thread!!

Aug 12, 2015, 8:55 AM

Does anyone know if there's a good TV stand that I can attach to my trailer hitch that runs off the power of the battery without having to run the car or worry about my alternator because those things are hard to replace on Volkswagons than they look and I just want to enjoy all the games before the game.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

yes

Aug 12, 2015, 9:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

They have a 70inch at Sams for around 1200 plus tax

Aug 12, 2015, 8:56 AM

I got a 75 last year and love it but I have season tickets and plan to be at every game and some of the away games also.

Aug 12, 2015, 9:54 AM

Get a 70, a got a 60 inch last year and it already looks small. Don't know what brand you're looking for but, I bought a Samsung smart TV and I really like it, and great color. It makes watching from the internet real easy;)

Aug 12, 2015, 11:05 AM

A lot of talk here about Samsung TV's. Strongly suggest you compare their offerings to Vizio. Available through Walmart. Forget the ultra HD (as others suggest, there is no content). Vizio's regular E-Type Smart TV's are great and are better priced than Samsung. Vizio also has terrific sound bars, including those with woofers built in (as opposed to having to get a separate woofer).

I just bought a 70" Sharp Aquos LED from Sam's....

Aug 12, 2015, 12:22 PM

for less than $1,300.

It replaced my 50" Sharp Aquos

Awesome television. I love it !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

apple tv has turned my dumb LG smart

Aug 12, 2015, 12:25 PM

I have a 60" LG plasma that I love. I also have a Sony surround sound system hooked up. HD basic cable subscription + watch espn on apple tv means I get all games in HD.

I have two Sharp Aquos TVs and they have the best picture

Aug 12, 2015, 1:17 PM [ in reply to I just bought a 70" Sharp Aquos LED from Sam's.... ]

by far over most competitors.

Even my older one from 2009 still looks clearer and more vibrant that many brand new Vizios, Sonys, etc.

Try to go somewhere that offers many, many brands and look at them side by side, play around with the picture settings in the store as well.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

I also have a pricy little 50" Sony.....

Aug 12, 2015, 1:53 PM

in the bonus room. I like the Sharp much better. It's was more reasonable priced and the pitcure quality is just as good if not better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 12, 2015, 12:39 PM

From my research for 4K Smart TV's, I have understood that ONLY a Samsung will work if you have Directv (which I have). If you get another brand, then you must buy an additional box to view 4K on that brand. This apparently only applies to directv, and there are no known plans to add additional brads for their service.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I have Directv and would prefer to choose from several brands.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,753
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic