Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone remember this event ????
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Anyone remember this event ????

Nov 4, 2018, 11:22 AM

was living in Grover .....

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/south-carolina/massive-blizzard-1973-in-sc/?fbclid=IwAR2gFn280cT0qwn7hIWAcBq1HPuu5mznsq-qJV4i_UoRjGcV2QnWhaSdW7g

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Anyone remember this event ????

Nov 4, 2018, 11:31 AM

Yep, right out of the ice age, now we only have ten more years before the planet burns it'self up. My how times have changed or is it that there are more idiots around now than in 73?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2018, 11:45 AM

I remember a big snow storm from that time, was living in Winston-Salem. No school for a week. Our neighborhood had 3 big hills, could sled about half a mile. They set up 55 gallon drums at the top of the hills with fires in them. If you didn’t have chains you weren’t getting out of our neighborhood.

Nov 4, 2018, 11:47 AM

Yes several feet of snow in goose creek area. The year I graduated from hs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 4, 2018, 11:50 AM

Was stationed at MBAFB and was lauhhing at the Canadians trying to drive in that wet snow. They were accustomed to driving on powdery dry snow.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2018, 12:16 PM

You just have to drive with a little bit of common sense in the snow. Lived in Toledo in the early/mid 90’s. Drove an RX7. Terrible, terrible car for driving in the snow and ice. Used to drive between Toledo and Detroit 2-3 times a week. Saw plenty of blizzard like conditions. The 4X4’s used to go past me doing 70 mph with 6-8 inches on the interstate in 1/4 to 1/2 mile vis and heavy snow coming down, idiots. All winter long, the interstate between Toledo and Detroit would be littered with 4X4’s because the drivers thought four wheel drive equaled magical powers.

Nov 4, 2018, 12:22 PM

Yeah, my parents and other relatives lived in Cottageville. They had circus elephants pulling trucks out of ditches. I did not see it. I was in Clemson at the time and we did not even get rain that day. That afternoon, the sun was shining. There were over 14 inches of snow in Cottageville.

circus elephants in cottageville ?

Nov 4, 2018, 7:01 PM

sirius gus ?

null

Nov 4, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember this event ???? ]

Hey Gumby, it is still the same. Those that drive the 4×4s still think that and by the way, when you see a younger female driving a SUV, get the he77 out of the way because they think those things are made to go a breakneck speed on ice and snow.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2018, 8:37 PM

I was amazed by the way they would drive. Truly insane, deathwish like.

Nov 4, 2018, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember this event ???? ]

People in the low state called us here in Clemson thinking we would have more snow than what they had. They couldn't believe we did not have the first snow flake in this area.

In the late '70's, the pool in front of the Library would freeze over and people would ice skate. It was a winter wonderland.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 4***

Nov 4, 2018, 12:21 PM

Nov 4, 2018, 12:58 PM

No but I was there Jan. 22 1987 for a lesser snowstorm that closed school for a few days. That storm crushed DC and we got the residual.

Yes...started snowing around lunch time on Fri...didn't stop

Nov 4, 2018, 7:31 PM

until Sat night...living in the Dutch Square of Columbia and had 19" in my front yard...the closer you got to I-95 the deeper it got...I-95 closed for days with people trapped in their cars and having to be rescued...didn't lose power so it was pretty cool for a while...neighbors turned on their flood lights in the back yards and we had a big snowball fight Fri night

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes...started snowing around lunch time on Fri...didn't stop

Nov 4, 2018, 7:47 PM

we lived in Grover - people were stranded everywhere.

locals were getting around in their tractors - rescuing people all up and downtime road.

There was I think over 100 - 200 people sleeping in he church (like sleeping on the pews everywhere ) - they were being fed by farmers freezers who had food and brought it out. crazy for a several days

null

Nov 4, 2018, 7:52 PM

Was in school then. A cousin called from Florence to see how the roads were with all the snow... We asked - what snow!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Yep..4 years old living in orangeburg

Nov 4, 2018, 7:55 PM

My mom wouldn’t let me go outside alone because she was scared I would fall down and they would not be able to find me

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Dad was in Vietnam Nam and we were without

Nov 4, 2018, 8:21 PM

Power for a couple of weeks.

Nov 4, 2018, 8:25 PM

I lived in Columbia then - was 8 yrs old. I remember a time when it was really cold and all the ponds froze thick enough to walk and play on. Do not recall 2 feet of snow, however. Paul Dietzel was USC head coach.

Nov 4, 2018, 10:30 PM

I lived in Sumter then.
I think we got 23” of snow. Then we had an ice storm a few weeks later.

Florence also had a big snow in '73

Nov 4, 2018, 11:44 PM

And it was referenced as the reason to buy all the bread and milk the stores had every time a flurry was forecast.

I would guess that was the same storm. But I was only a few months old, so I don't know for sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In Charleston,

Nov 5, 2018, 5:48 AM

My senior year of HS. It had been in the 70's on Thursday, but my car was under a shell of freezing rain when I left school at 2 on Friday. The sleet started a bit later and continued until late Saturday morning. It looked like the ground was snow-covered, but it was about six inches o sleet. Just before noon, a thunder-sleetstorm hit...felt like I was walking into a shotgun blast while helping get a car our of a frozen hole. The snow started shortly thereafter and continued for about 12 hours...and 12 inches. Charleston was frozen in for the whole week.

As Mr. Joe noted, January '77 (my senior year...again), the temps never got above 30 the entire month...and hovered near zero many nights. The fire department would spray down the pond in front of the library to smooth out the ice so folks could skate. Hundreds of pairs of skates materialized for folks to rent...I just watched. Unforgettable times!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In Charleston,

Nov 5, 2018, 8:08 AM

cool story

null

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic