Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What grade would you give the hoops season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

What grade would you give the hoops season?

Mar 25, 2019, 8:09 AM

I’d give them a solid D and that’s not for Dandy...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What grade would you give the hoops season?

Mar 25, 2019, 8:19 AM

well we were mid pack of the ACC. Normally that would get you a C but with the experienced returners a D. If we could have one maybe a third of the close ones we'd probably have a couple more wins, gotten to the NCAA, and look at this year much differently.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2019, 8:20 AM

A "d-".

Mar 25, 2019, 8:27 AM

B-

On the cusp of being good but not quite. A B- is fitting because it is not a "bad" result but still very disappointing.

Not a D... if you want a D look at Georgia Tech or Wake Forest. F for Pitt/Notre Shame.

Mar 25, 2019, 9:23 AM

I can see your point but those would be full blown F's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2019, 9:31 AM

Wake and Manning can be considered an F for his tenure. D season but an F overall. That program needs the change.

GT, well, it was not a good year but with a 3rd year young coach, this is where you are either patient or not for the payoff. GT seems to be making improvements in the right direction.

Mar 25, 2019, 8:36 AM

I would give them a B-. We won 20 games, won enough not to have a losing record in conference with three #1 seeds, made it to the NIT. If Brownell hadn't taken us to the Sweet 16 last year, for our 4th time ever in 109 years of playing basketball, most everyone would be happy. Hey, we even beat South Carolina, again.

I 'd give it an A, but with four returning starters, alright maybe 3.5 because Shelton played on one leg this year, I hoped for more.

An "F"

Mar 25, 2019, 8:40 AM

For get the "F" out Brad!

C-. Mid Pack is always good for Clemson but to lose every

Mar 25, 2019, 9:11 AM

close game except 1 and to overachieve only once out of 8 games with our experienced squad shows me our leadership was lacking. They tried hard but they lacked leadership in tight situations.

C*

Mar 25, 2019, 9:14 AM

Mar 25, 2019, 9:29 AM

I feel like giving an F, but I will say D. We did have an outside shot of making the tournament. I will go with D.

D+***

Mar 25, 2019, 9:48 AM

Factoring in everything, a D-

Mar 25, 2019, 10:03 AM

The season's results in a vacuum were probably more like a C, as an NIT berth should be seen as about an average season for Clemson basketball.

However, when you factor in the season's expectations (preseason top-25, 4 SRs returning and starting, last year's Sweet 16 run), I don't see how you can't call this season a major disappointment. All of the momentum generated from last season's run has evaporated, and I think it's fair to question if Brownell will even be able to assemble even this level of talent again. Reed, Mitchell, Thomas, and Skara all came here as transfers. We'll be lucky to even get one player of that level from the transfer market again, and we basically tanked the season in Greenville with the transfers sitting out so that the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons would amount to something.

Then you've got the whole Zion Williamson recruiting saga to factor in. When Zion committed to Duke he was sitting at 87% Crystal Ball on 247 to Clemson. I don't blame Zion for going to Duke, but as a coach, if a star high school recruit is in your backyard, you have to be able to get that kid to your school. The fact that Brownell couldn't get Zion to Clemson is the reason Clemson will never achieve high level success under Brownell. I know we aren't going to get a top coach to come to Clemson, but even someone of Tom Crean's level at Georgia is able to get top-5 recruit Anthony Edwards from Atlanta to come to Athens.

How many 5-star players "in our backyard" have we ever

Mar 25, 2019, 10:36 AM

signed at Clemson to play basketball?

My guess is zero.

Of course we need to start getting some of those players, but Brownell not doing it makes him on par with every other coach we've ever had.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: How many 5-star players "in our backyard" have we ever

Mar 25, 2019, 10:45 AM

Milton Jennings didn't develop, but he was from SC and was a 5-star prospect who signed with Purnell.

Despite being a 5 star player, Jennigs was not offered

Mar 25, 2019, 11:03 AM

by Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. Florida, Georgetown, UCLA, and South Carolina were his only other major offers.

A far cry from Zion getting offered by all of the blue blood programs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That's not what you asked though, is it?***

Mar 25, 2019, 8:35 PM

You tried to make a point and failed, and now you're trying to diminish a 5* player in some weird attempt to make yourself "right"....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Do you think Milton played like a 5 * player? It was fairly

Mar 25, 2019, 10:46 PM

obvious that he was over-rated

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not the point though, is it? Point is, he was a 5*

Mar 25, 2019, 10:55 PM

Recruit.

It's also interesting to me that Mr. Clemson basketball(JK) didn't know that. I mean it was huge news for Clemson bball. I guess he isn't a loyal fan...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Milton didn't deserve the #### he got here, but he was over

Mar 25, 2019, 11:37 PM

rated and I find the fact that you are clinging to his recruiting rating pointless

I'm not clinging to anything. Just proving a point to

Mar 26, 2019, 8:55 AM

Mr. Basketball....

Not surprised that you're having trouble with that though.

No, the only surprise here is your "defense" of Milton***

Mar 26, 2019, 12:39 PM

Link to a defense of Milton? I stated FACTS

Mar 26, 2019, 2:07 PM

but again....not surprising you have an issue comprehending...

Mar 25, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: How many 5-star players "in our backyard" have we ever ]

the word is Milton just couldn't get off the reefer, was smoking 24-7

Mar 25, 2019, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: How many 5-star players "in our backyard" have we ever ]

Milton was a paper star... what they sign for coot football. Point to Jennings means you don't watch basketball.

Trevor Booker was a no/3 start and see what happened.

Mar 25, 2019, 10:55 PM [ in reply to How many 5-star players "in our backyard" have we ever ]

Ricky Jones, Jerry Pryor. Pryor may not have been from SC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Drad and Coach Brownell were expecting this to be the

Mar 25, 2019, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Factoring in everything, a D- ]

year with 4 fifth year seniors. The expectations were high and the performance fell far short. In year 9.

Also, good point about tanking the season with the transfers

Mar 25, 2019, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Factoring in everything, a D- ]

to build towards this year. I made that same point to DRAD in an email 3 years ago this month. We got there a year early, but came up woefully short this year in what was supposed to be THE year.

One thing DRAD told me in that email was "I know that we have not enjoyed the success that we desire but we are now investing in the infrastructure of the program and positive results will be expected." Let's see if he sticks to that commitment.

Although I'm disappointed in this year, I never expected it

Mar 25, 2019, 11:07 PM

to be better than last year. We lost the best two players off last year's team, in Grantham and Devoe. Probably the best two leaders also, and we really lacked leadership this year!

Mar 25, 2019, 10:26 AM

C and that Sums up His record at Clemson!

Mar 25, 2019, 10:27 AM

C-, we did beat the Coots(which turned out not to be much, but a loss would have been embarrassing),Lipscomb(Who would have thought that would be one of the better NIT teams) VT, and Syracuse, lost to UNC on a "Tobacco Road Ref call. But we lost too many one basket games and lost way too many games when we had a big lead and let the other team come back in the second half.

A big fat brown

Mar 25, 2019, 10:31 AM

L. For the crappy losses.

B-minus.

Mar 25, 2019, 10:33 AM

Outstanding effort and determination, even in the face of some heartbreaking losses, but not the results we wanted/needed.

I didn’t see the same team as you I guess

Mar 25, 2019, 7:01 PM

I saw the team that 90% of this board saw. I saw a team with no leadership, no heart, no drive, and no GRIT. When we got down, we simply shrugged it off and looked like - “No worries, we made it to the sweet 16 last year we’ll be ok. We’ll come back.” Then we proceeded to turn the ball over repeatedly by either dribbling into double teams or traveling or shoving off and getting an offensive foul called. Or we’d chuck up a brick 3 pointer (which may as well have been with our eyes closed because we’d never make it) and proceed to not get the offensive rebound. All the while looking completely nonchalant about it. That’s what I saw.

Please explain how the team you described

Mar 25, 2019, 8:33 PM

won 20 games this year, including 9-9 in the ACC, both way above our historical average, and lost 6 games by a combined 10 points.

Looks like you have a good imagination!!***

Mar 25, 2019, 11:09 PM [ in reply to I didn’t see the same team as you I guess ]

Looks like you have a good imagination!!***

Mar 25, 2019, 11:20 PM [ in reply to I didn’t see the same team as you I guess ]

Mar 25, 2019, 10:34 AM

C-

Underachieving and underwhelming season.

Come on that's ridiculous. I get that not making the NCAAT

Mar 25, 2019, 10:37 AM

is disappointing, but this is Clemson basketball and we have to grade it on a curve. We have ONE Elite Eight finish in the history of the program and just 3 Sweet Sixteens. Last season was a solid A for Clemson basketball as it was no worse than the 4th best season in the history of the program. Making it past the S16 is an automatic A+ for Clemson basketball.

Given the threshold for an "A" season i would say that any season that results in an NCAAT bid as some form of B and barely missing the tournament, as we did this year, cannot be reasonably rated as anything lower than a C. Giving this season a D is just stupid and nothing more than trolling.

Impossible to get better than a C with no NCAA Tournament.

Mar 25, 2019, 10:43 AM

Given that we had 4 fifth year seniors and this was the year that Coach B and DRAD were hoping would establish that positive trend and we fell flat, gotta get be a D.

Mar 25, 2019, 11:11 AM

Given all factors including having a star player hurt all year, 20 wins, post season bid all with a small budget I would give a solid B

C-***

Mar 25, 2019, 11:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2019, 12:15 PM

I will give them a C........which is a big drop from the A gave them last year.......not a bad year but surely did not achieve what they should have......Go Tigers!!!!!

C-

Mar 25, 2019, 12:17 PM

I think underachieved. That NIT game against the Shockers was just lackluster except for about 2 mins near the end of the game.

I'd agree with that***

Mar 25, 2019, 12:25 PM

C-

Mar 25, 2019, 1:12 PM

Disappointing season all over considering our roster talent, senior experience, and legit pre-season expectations coming in. Had we finished sub-.500 in ACC play I would have agreed with D territory.

We played well enough to justify the talent assessment but poorly enough in not closing out winnable games and missing the tourney.

Message was edited by: wildblulou®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

M, for Most Disappointing in recent history.

Mar 25, 2019, 2:18 PM

Pretty much proved that last year was the fluke exception, unfortunately.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How would you grade last season?***

Mar 25, 2019, 2:28 PM

Mar 25, 2019, 2:51 PM

Grade of slaw. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

C

Mar 25, 2019, 5:54 PM

Nothing special. Not horrible, certainly not stellar. Right in the middle of the good and the bad. And the only courses we aced were general math and playground design. Failed all our honor courses except 1

Mar 25, 2019, 5:57 PM

C-

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Withdrawal***

Mar 25, 2019, 6:56 PM

Mar 25, 2019, 8:12 PM

IMO, a team must make the NCAAT to obtain at least a "C", but reaching the NIT gets at least a "D", and winning at least one game makes it a "D+". The team would have to win the NIT to obtain a "B", and CLEMSON failed to do that. Sorry guys, but any team with this bad a showing deserves no better than a D+.

If a team fails to even make the NIT, then it is an automatic "F". No exceptions.

It's all relative! Ten years ago, 11 wins would've gotten

Mar 25, 2019, 11:26 PM

our football team an A. Now, 11 wins would probably rate only a D!

Mar 25, 2019, 8:41 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C***

Mar 25, 2019, 8:54 PM

C+***

Mar 25, 2019, 9:20 PM

Mar 25, 2019, 10:33 PM

Are we grading on the 7-point scale many of us grew up with, the 10 point scale used in most classrooms now, the 15-point North Carolina school report card scale, or the South Carolina Uniform Grading Scale that gives more weight to a tougher curriculum?

I give it a C. it could have been better but this season

Mar 25, 2019, 11:31 PM

Also could have gotten ugly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on expectations, I would say a D-

Mar 26, 2019, 6:56 AM

Really hoped to make it to the tourney.

I will try not to be overly emotional about it

Mar 26, 2019, 7:23 AM

and to give them a C-. This was a senior-laden team, coming off a sweet 16 appearance. We should have done more. Yes, Shelton turned out to be seriously hurt all season, but come on. Year 9, Brownell needs to have some depth built in.

C-***

Mar 26, 2019, 9:21 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

C+

Mar 26, 2019, 2:49 PM

wasn't the disaster/failure that so many seem to think, but certainly wasn't a success either

they were just a few shots from having a very good season

and a couple more from having a great season

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic