Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU went 5-7 last year with
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

FSU went 5-7 last year with

Apr 1, 2019, 12:56 PM

the 3rd, 3rd, 6th, and 11th recruiting classes in the nation. College Football is Talent + Coaching. If you don't have both, you're not going to win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

And so is college baseball

Apr 1, 2019, 12:58 PM

AND BASKETBALL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And so is college baseball

Apr 1, 2019, 3:58 PM

Judge Keller ain’t going to like this......Go Tigers!!!!!!!

Their offense will take a huge step forward this year

Apr 1, 2019, 1:00 PM

With Broyles as their OC.

Re: Their offense will take a huge step forward this year

Apr 1, 2019, 1:05 PM

You are the first Clemson fan who I have seen give this take.

I have heard they did not get better on the offensive line.

I know they got the QB transfer from Wisconsin, but I have not heard great things about his talent.

Neither he nor the returning QB seem to be run threats.

Their RBs and WRs already had some talent, but I am not sure what they added to it.

What do you think will be the big difference?

Apr 1, 2019, 1:18 PM

FSU has lots talent and a creative coach like Broyles will design a system to utilize that talent. Just look at the big jump in production in the Clemson offense under Chad Morris, we didn’t have a big upgrade in talent. A good coach will get the most out his talent.

Apr 1, 2019, 1:45 PM

I disagree about Clemson not getting a big upgrade in talent in 2011.

Our WR core went from having freshman Nuk and nothing else at WR to having Nuk + the best freshman WR in the country + 2 other top 10-15 freshman WRs in the country.

Clemson also made a change at QB which was maybe not a huge upgrade in talent from 2009 Kyle Parker but was night and day different from 2010 Kyle Parker. Not to mention the added running threat from Boyd.

Add in Andre Ellington who was on the 2010 team but missed the last 6 or 7 games of the 2010 season when the offense really looked bad.

The 2011 offense looked nothing like the 2010 offense with maybe the exception of the offensive line.

Apr 1, 2019, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Their offense will take a huge step forward this year ]

rhettm said:

FSU has lots talent and a creative coach like Broyles will design a system to utilize that talent. Just look at the big jump in production in the Clemson offense under Chad Morris, we didn’t have a big upgrade in talent. A good coach will get the most out his talent.

I would normally agree but My Word is FSU ever up against it at QB. They only have two scholarship QB's on their roster - James Blackman and Alex Hornibook - and neither one remotely looks like an answer; that's as poor a depth chart at QB as I've seen at Florida State in their entire program's history.

And then there's the question of who exactly protects them; their O-line remains an absolute disaster that lost the starting LT, LG, and C from last year's O-line...which we only thought was as bad as an FSU OL could possibly get.

The result there is pretty predictable, actually. Immobile QB's (one of whom is just 185 pounds and looks like a beanpole) + traffic-cone OL = grim ugly death.

The Noles likely have better days ahead - I mean, they are FSU, after all - but they might have some suffering to get out of the way first.

Awful analogy

Apr 1, 2019, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Their offense will take a huge step forward this year ]

We switched to a completely different system from Napier to Morris, FSU will be running essentially the same system they did last year (it’s Briles not Broyles BTW, that doesn’t really help your point), and they didn’t get a big talent upgrade. They lost Murray who was their most consistent WR, Blackman isn’t a good QB, and they added 2 OL that could possibly contribute (1 is a true freshman and the other is a transfer from the MAC), they lost their best defensive player, and they aren’t landing 5* studs like they used to consistently grab. And Briles’ offense hasn’t fared well when facing good defenses (see Army beating the #### out of them).

Until proven otherwise, FSU isn’t a concern in 2019

Kendall Briles

Apr 1, 2019, 8:15 PM

I agree - culture can't be understated.
You say: 3rd, 3rd and 6th. Then 11th. All of which I believe averages out more than just a few spots better than Clemson. Including not limited to: OL. They have missed on OL recruits who were supposed to be studs big time.

I understand why someone would put the "Briles offense" mixed with FSU players as "something to be concerned with"! I agree somewhat!
But, their problems are bigger than just the offensive play schemes. They were not a bad offense under Jimbo. Remember - offense is where he came up as a coach. A&M thought enough of his offensive philosophy to give him how much?
In other words - as stated - they have other problems bigger than anything one coach and his philosophy can change.
I do reserve the right to be wrong. They have enough depth over there to run that offense. Which is basically - "have vertical routes on every play"! This eliminates the safety from the box. Makes the safety reluctant to cheat up on simple dig routes(fear of them going over top). At Baylor they use to be among the leaders in rushing yards b/c of this. Once teams said, "enough of this and dropped the safety" b/c of the number of times he and his dad makes them practice the deep ball; they end up burning defenses a few times. It's a scary offense to have to deal with; but I think in the Big 12 they gave them too many free releases off the line. They won't here.

OL would have to be better too if they are to get off those deep passes! With Francois this would have been real trouble. Blackmon ( I disagree and think he is a decent QB to whoever said it) unless he has improved( remember he was a FR when we last saw him and was playing basically emergency QB) isn't as good with the underneath stuff. He is a good deep ball thrower. A bit concerning there. But, as long as Coach V is on the job; I see us having the game plan to neutralize their offense.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kendall Briles

Apr 1, 2019, 8:26 PM

Now if you said, "Art Briles" was going to take over the offense; that would be a different thing. As the architect of that offense; it would flow different with him calling plays.
Funny thing to mention along with "Culture" being FSU's problem. To talk about coaches who allowed Baylor to get out of hand.

To the OP - the more I think about it. "I am with you a bit"! At least, it's in the back of my mind the offensive production Baylor enjoyed.
People have to remember something about Baylor: "it's not like they get all these high rated athletes and is some destination of college football school"! Art Briles turned them into one of the scariest offenses college football has ever seen. Produced a Heisman winner(RG3) and some other high draft picks. Using players Texas, Oklahoma, A&M and Oklahoma St. picked over! Heck, I think Houston may have gotten players over them during that time.
But, this dude is now in our division. At FSU, a destination place for top recruits! FSU that has tradition!

I am with everyone else; but not to the same degree! I think it's worth keeping a "close eye on"! We watch all our opponents; but this one could be more explosive "POTENTIALLY"! Back-burner type concern worthy at this point!
I think you are fooling yourself otherwise or wasn't paying attention to the records that offense produced when it was going.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, but i think it takes 2 years before the Offense

Apr 1, 2019, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Their offense will take a huge step forward this year ]

blossoms

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: I agree, but i think it takes 2 years before the Offense

Apr 1, 2019, 2:07 PM

CULTURE. I think people miss on this all the time. Look at FSU recruiting like you said, it's dominant and always has been. Look at UGA recruiting and how dominant is always has been. But these schools will shine and do well through talent but when things get tough both teams crumble and that's because they have a bad culture among players and not only on the field but off it as well. The real USC, UF, U5C's short run, all these schools saw a massive dump once they had a bad moment and it has to do with culture more than coaching or talent.

Apr 1, 2019, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Their offense will take a huge step forward this year ]

rhettm said:

With Broyles as their OC.

Frank Broyles was a hellva QB, Coach, and AD at Arkansas, but unless they’ve figured out how to revive someone from the dead I don’t think he’s the answer at FSU. Now Kendal Briles might be but only time will tell.

Apr 1, 2019, 4:07 PM

Lol....and you now have your first T'sUp.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU went 5-7 last year with

Apr 1, 2019, 9:44 PM

Good perspective!

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic