Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status

Feb 29, 2016, 3:30 PM

Swinney updates Deon Cain's status

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status

Feb 29, 2016, 3:33 PM

I look forward to seeing him on the field again. I wish him the best and I hope he does all the things needed to get back into the program full force.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 29, 2016, 5:19 PM

I concur.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 29, 2016, 3:35 PM

If he has manned up and accepted responsibility for his actions, why can't be practice? Is anyone else confused? I'm not question Dabo but are the issues far deeper than a failed drug test?

Really not confusing.

Feb 29, 2016, 3:37 PM

Part of his punishment is not participating this spring, and likely doing what he needs to off the field to come back in fall.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

My thoughts exactly.....

Feb 29, 2016, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

There is definitely more to this and Dabo is trying to keep this internal...

This kid has already set out the Miami game (which was deserved) and missed the Orange Bowl and National Title Game (which was also deserved)...

Sound like the kid has already paid a H3ll of a penance if he has "manned up" and "accepted responsibility)

With that said, Dabo has earned the right to be trusted...even on head scratching comments like this one...

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Seriously, you guys are comical...why is there more to it?

Feb 29, 2016, 3:45 PM

His punishment includes being there but not practicing...is this a shock or something? Saying he's manned up and done all he's been asked to doesn't mean the punishment is over.

Guessing the kid knew this was the punishment since day one, it's only public now as practice is starting.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Seriously, you guys are comical...why is there more to it?

Feb 29, 2016, 5:25 PM

I agree just because you manned up does not mean you don't have to pay the price. Dabo is setting a great example for discipline of a star player.

Re: My thoughts exactly.....

Feb 29, 2016, 3:47 PM [ in reply to My thoughts exactly..... ]

The only thing "to it" is that Dabo actually sticks to his punishments.

The kid was suspended for the spring the minute he failed for drugs. Trust me, Dabo doesn't mess around and the fact he is involved with the team is great news and the best possible scenario under a disciplinarian such as Swinney.

No conspiracies. Dabo has more strict punishments than average coaches and he sticks to his guns no matter how good or bad you are.

Feb 29, 2016, 5:25 PM

Yep! 'Nuff said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is one of the things that makes Dabo a great...

Mar 1, 2016, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts exactly..... ]

...D1 football head coach. Parents and players see his commitment to Clemson University, the parents, and the players. You cannot buy, nor fake, this sort of integrity on the part of a head coach. This is who Dabo is at his core.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

I don't think he's interested in "penance"...

Feb 29, 2016, 3:50 PM [ in reply to My thoughts exactly..... ]

...so much as I think he's interested in seeing a revised pattern of behavior.

If the kid can get his nose clean and keep it clean for awhile...okay, maybe then it's time to see if he's ready for football again. In the meantime, I would suspect that the kid has some entitlement and maturity issues that have landed him comprehensively in the doghouse...and he's going to have to earn his way back in by establishing he's capable of a pattern of good behavior off the field.

Letting him sit and cool his heels awhile - and wonder if he's ever going to make it back - is probably the fastest way there is to making the kid see that talent is a very cheap thing, and it can all go away like that if you don't keep your head glued on straight...which is something more than a few former 5-star superstuds never did figure out until it was too late.

...a la Nkemdouchie.***

Feb 29, 2016, 3:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BS, common NCAA suspension for "street" drugs is 6 months.

Feb 29, 2016, 4:30 PM [ in reply to My thoughts exactly..... ]

Either Dabo is sticking to that to teach the young man a lesson,or it was an NCAA administered test. Nothing to hide.

If it was an NCAA administered test we'd know that***

Feb 29, 2016, 4:46 PM

Re: BS, common NCAA suspension for "street" drugs is 6 months.

Feb 29, 2016, 11:15 PM [ in reply to BS, common NCAA suspension for "street" drugs is 6 months. ]

What is the penalty for a positive drug test?

The penalty for positive tests of both performance-enhancing and street drugs is strict and automatic. Student-athletes lose one full year of eligibility for the first offense (25 percent of their total eligibility) and are withheld from competition for a full season. A second positive test for street drugs results in another lost year of eligibility and year withheld from competition. A second positive result for PED usage will render the student-athlete permanently ineligible.

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/policy/frequently-asked-questions-about-drug-testing

Feb 29, 2016, 11:43 PM

Ugh, I hate to keep bumping this because it's ridiculously blown out of proportion now but what you've stated, although correct, is only mandatory IF the drug test was administered by the NCAA. It was never made public if the test was a random test administered by Clemson or the NCAA. And if it was administered by the NCAA, and the rumor was that the other team also had players fail, why weren't there any repercussions on their end or anything made public about it? That's and entirely different topic altogether but back in December when this was all discussed ad nauseam on the boards, because it was never made public and because the other team didn't reprimand their players, it was assumed the test itself was administered by our own staff. If that was the case, which is still speculation and will probably always be, than those rules don't apply. The punishment is left to the coach, in this case Dabo Swinney.

Once again, if Sammy Watkins was arrested in May 2012 at 18 years old after his car hit a curb and his temporary license wasn't illuminated, and was found with prescription pills on his person that weren't his (controlled substance), as well as having marijuana on his person, AND him and the soccer player he was with were smoking in the vehicle at the time... My "confusion", for those that aren't able to read, lies within the disparity in how that situation was treated vs. Deon Cain failing a drug test! Sammy Watkins was suspended for the first 2 regular season games, that's all. He was allowed to practice. Deon Cain was suspended the Orange Bowl AND the National Championship Game. And now he's not allowed to practice the entire spring. Is my being confused that unjust?? Geez. Why do I have to explain this 20 times over? I simply said that it must be MORE than just the failed drug test considering the punishment. To me it seems like it's everyone else that has the confuse now. I'm sorry I even replied to this #### thread in the first place. Keep up.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1284824-sammy-watkins-suspension-did-dabo-swinney-seal-the-tigers-fate-with-punishment

Mar 1, 2016, 8:14 AM

yes, there is more to it...he had issues prior to the Miami game. once is a fluke, twice is a pattern. Dabo wants to make sure he breaks that pattern. Sammy's offense was his first offense. the second go around deserves a more severe punishment, and in this case the second offense was more serious than his first, he is trending the wrong way.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Mar 1, 2016, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: BS, common NCAA suspension for "street" drugs is 6 months. ]

Sammy also had a good bit of "community service" requirements that he carried out over the summer prior to his suspension. None of us know just what was involved in Cain's 1st suspension issue. I was under the impression it was more of an attitude problem, but I certainly could be wrong. It seems he still doesn't get the message about behavior, so the punishment is stepped up. Good for Dabo to try to get this fixed now. He is a great athlete, for sure, but I want him to be a productive man, too, and so does Dabo. I hope this helps him.

Mar 1, 2016, 10:00 AM

At least you and this XJ guy above get it. I was never "questioning" Dabo but rather what really happened that led us here. Amazing that one page 6 of this #### thread I'm still getting TDs for stating the obvious - it was more than smoking weed over break.

Regardless, I hope Deon stays the course and is in good standing for the Fall. It looks like he's been hitting the weights since December and I trust he will be even better & more focused this year. Cheers to all you TD feigns though, I see you.

Mar 2, 2016, 9:19 AM

I am not the TDer.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:08 AM

You're a good man, and thorough Duga. :)

(Name that movie!)

Mar 3, 2016, 10:04 PM

The "you're a good man" line is on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't quite remember it. I accept it as a compliment, though.

Mar 3, 2016, 11:33 PM

Haha, it's from the Big Lebowski.

Feb 29, 2016, 5:23 PM [ in reply to My thoughts exactly..... ]

To me it's not a "head scratcher" at all. Deon has not completed his punishment, and Dabo wants to know it's really fixed. I hope Deon does his part. I know Dabo will do his.

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

Feb 29, 2016, 5:24 PM [ in reply to My thoughts exactly..... ]

Good grief. Get over yourself

Feb 29, 2016, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

There are consequences for all actions in life, good and bad. I applaud Dabo for teaching this lesson. " I am sorry" does not cut it. Repentance involves attitude and action.

"I'm not question Dabo"... Say what...?***

Feb 29, 2016, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "I'm not question Dabo"... Say what...?***

Feb 29, 2016, 4:18 PM

Dude, if a missing "ing" has left you clueless on a TigerNet thread, you must have a heck of a time understanding 90% of what's posted on these boreds nowadays.

Feb 29, 2016, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

He doesn't deserve to be allowed to practice.

Feb 29, 2016, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

Learn a lesson from the actions (or inactions) of the former head enabler and his former QB at SCAR.

It is what it is

Feb 29, 2016, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

I'm sure there's nothing stopping him from getting in passing sessions with the rest of the QBs and WRs after practices and during the summer when there is no official practice, and he isn't missing any instruction because he has to attend all of the practices and meetings.

The biggest impact of Cain missing practices will probably be that some of the WRs further down the depth chart get more reps and more opportunity to get better.

Irresponsible conduct has its consequences...

Feb 29, 2016, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

and for Cain, that involves not practicing with the team during the Spring.

It's really not that difficult to comprehend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Irresponsible conduct has its consequences...

Feb 29, 2016, 4:27 PM

So basically you reiterated what 15 people replied with before you. I love how when you make a statement on here, people tend to single out one thing and just keep regurgitating the same words in different order, over and over and over again.

I wasn't questioning the decision. I was just asking simply because it seems to me that there's more to smoking a bit of weed within Dabo's statement, "he realizes there are things he's got to improve on". For instance, if it was solely a drug issue, there has been no mention of an intervention program like there was with Sammy Watkins for instance. Sammy not only broke team rules but was actually caught and charged with possession of a controlled substance (prescription pills) AND marijuana and he was suspended for 2 games. Deon already missed two huge games and now he can't even practice in the spring? I'm simply saying there must be more to that than a blunt at home with your boys over Christmas break.

Glad I could help.***

Feb 29, 2016, 4:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Glad I could help.***

Feb 29, 2016, 4:50 PM

HUGE help! ????????

Conduct that is not responsible has its consequences...

Feb 29, 2016, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Irresponsible conduct has its consequences... ]

and for Deon, that involves not practicing with the team during the spring time.

It's really not that difficult to understand.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Conduct that is not responsible has its consequences...

Feb 29, 2016, 5:07 PM

Lol. Now you Rocky? We've been down this road before bro. Don't be the guy on page 4 saying verbatim what someone said on page one, it's not necessary.

Feb 29, 2016, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

" I'm not question Dabo"....

proceeds to question Dabo....

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Feb 29, 2016, 4:36 PM

You joined 3 minutes ago and already that little R next to your handle went straight to your head? You'll fit in just fine around here.

Like I said, wasn't questioning the decision. I was questioning whether or not there's actually more to his suspension than a failed drug test. Reading comprehension is at an all-time low today whilst haste to reply and criticize is on blast.

Anyone want to talk politics, baseball or basketball? It's the football forum after all.

As frustrating as it is, it's not our business to know

Feb 29, 2016, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

The coaches have set a plan for Cain and he needs to execute that plan so that everyone is satisfied. Whatever that plan is and for whatever deed was done, that is the punishment. CDS has done this several times and the players who respond have moved onward and upward. Those who haven't responded have either been kicked off the team or transferred elsewhere.

I hope that he gets his mind, attitude, maturity and priorities straightened out so that he can be successful in life and contribute to the team.

Re: As frustrating as it is, it's not our business to know

Feb 29, 2016, 4:13 PM

Well let's give him all the support we can drug additions are hard to break.

Uh, who said he had an addiction? Oh yeah, nobody...***

Feb 29, 2016, 4:18 PM

Re: As frustrating as it is, it's not our business to know

Feb 29, 2016, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Re: As frustrating as it is, it's not our business to know ]

Drug addictions??? I don't know the entirety of everything that has gone on with DC, but a couple of poor choices may not equal drug addiction. just saying.

Our knowledge is based on rumor

Feb 29, 2016, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: As frustrating as it is, it's not our business to know ]

we don't know what happened and we really don't need to know. We should support him, his family, the coaches and the team in any way we can. That may just be a positive shout out on twitter or showing up to the O&W game.

Feb 29, 2016, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

Why does it always have to be more that it is if Dabo does something a different way!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 29, 2016, 5:27 PM

Holy moly... So many hurt feelings in this thread. And why can't you guys just comment without the TDs? Geez. No one is insulting Dabo or his decision... Did you even watch the video of him speaking on the matter? It's obviously more than the failed drug test now that I have. Next time I'll just keep it to myself to avoid the nonsensical ridicule. Lol. You guys are too much. :) Still smiling

Feb 29, 2016, 6:04 PM

Your sensitive ### needs a hug! Smh.

Feb 29, 2016, 6:23 PM

And your pulse needs a jump start. Thanks for the sentiment scout. Back to your hole now.

Speaking only for myself

Feb 29, 2016, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

I find your opinion that Dabo is hiding something rather odious. Now, there usually is "more" to every story but we will probably never know any more than we do now.

Your accusing tone sounded very cootish, IMO.

Add to that, it seems that you would like Cain to practice simply because he's owned up to his indiscretions. That's like saying that a bank robber should be freed from prison because he's sorry and has owned up to his crime...Cain will practice after his punishment is over, per Dabo. Anything else would be weak

My $0.02.

Re: Speaking only for myself

Feb 29, 2016, 9:12 PM

Thank God you only had 2 cents, if you had a full dollar, I might have threw up in my mouth. Me? Cootish? You've obviously read zero of my previous posts and know nothing about me. I have two degrees on my wall from this school, my love for Clemson extends far beyond the gridiron thank you very much.

And I love how you perceive me saying it must be something more than weed as me accusing anyone of anything, let alone that "Dabo is hiding something". Give me a break, what's this Days of our Lives? Stop looking for drama that isn't there. Sammy Watkins got caught in a car by police with pills that weren't his and marijuana, he sat 2 games then was right back at it. Neither was a bowl or championship game, just facts. I was just taken aback that he wasn't able to practice, period. I didn't slander anyone, didn't make assumptions (like you're doing) or anything close. I just found the situation was odd is all! Leave it at that. But don't come in here and start that coot BS with me sir. I'm on here all day, pretty much every day and have been going to games and rooting for Clemson consistently since 1995 in high school. I left New York to come to school in a foreign land some 2000 miles away from my home and had to endure a lot in my 6 years there. So I resent your foolish remark.

He forgot to add, "thus far" to the end of that sentence....

Feb 29, 2016, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

I'm sure he set the expectations with Deon long ago. He's got more work to do and it would set the wrong example to change the punishment and cut it short. Further, it would send a terrible message to the other players/recruits.

To be fair, and just, he needs to continue to down the right path for more than just 2 months anyway.

Lastly, Dabo knows these kids better than any of us. I'm sure he has a good grasp of what's needed in terms of discipline.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 29, 2016, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

When my kids mess up they still have to face the consequences of their actions, even if they owned up to it. Taking ownership doesn't get them off the hook.

If someone robs a bank and gets caught, they wouldn't be set free just because they said "my bad, I really shouldn't have done that. I know it was wrong."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 29, 2016, 9:17 PM

Once again, you missed the point of what I was getting at, like so many before you. And what you said has already been said 10 times now, no need to keep bumping old news. Love how I've been singled out in this circus of a thread today. Holy ####. It's been 9 weeks since the incident with Deon Cain and I'm sure he's done more than said "sorry coach", else Swinney wouldn't have said he's "pleased with Deon". I simply said it must be more than a blunt over break, and clearly it is! Stop bumping old news. I'm done

But if it is your actions you are responsible for, poor

Feb 29, 2016, 10:26 PM

choices have consequences and for Deon, that includes not participating in spring football practice.

That is all.

It's really not too hard to understand.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Dabo understands, Deon understands, why should anybody

Feb 29, 2016, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney updates Deon Cain's status ]

be confused?

I consider that good news.

Feb 29, 2016, 3:40 PM

He's got the talent that missing the spring is not going to be hard to overcome. The important thing is he is still with the team and Dabo sees DC playing this fall. Get his grades up. Similar to Sammy, he missed a game (a big game) but will be playing this fall.

Feb 29, 2016, 3:59 PM

I don't question Dabo at all on this one. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Cain does become the man and football player we all know he can be.

Feb 29, 2016, 5:00 PM

Can't we all just get along?! Don't look now, but your egos are showing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 29, 2016, 5:21 PM

I agree with Dabo and support him 100%. Anybody who thinks Dabo is not tough though is insane. He is old school even tho he is a young coach.

The real question is why is it illegal to injest a harmful plant

Feb 29, 2016, 9:02 PM

Danny Ford chewed Red Man on the sidelines. Ask Tony Gwynn how harmless that is. Michael Phelps is the greatest swimmer of all time yet demonized for smoking pot. Bet he wouldnt have won those golds if he was throwing back a 6 pack every night. And before you mouth breathers say its a gateway drug, which it isnt, put down that cupcake and get off the recliner. Laziness and gluttony, which according to polls southerners fall into the 50% catagory are a far greater societal hinderance than a top athlete injesting a mildly psychoactive plant.

Re: The real question is why is it illegal to injest a harmful plant

Feb 29, 2016, 10:52 PM

Brady. Wait, you forgot cancer in your post of how good pakalolo is for you and how everything else is so bad. BTW, what kind of filters are they putting on a roach these days?!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The real question is why is it illegal to injest a harmful plant

Mar 2, 2016, 10:18 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/05/23/marijuana-does-not-raise-lung-cancer-risk.html

Better numbers than TrJr Demarcus Robinson as a TrFr

Feb 29, 2016, 10:03 PM

Who missed 3 games this year and hardly played the first 4 games of the year, all the way through the ND game.

JJ.... come on down, sir!

Feb 29, 2016, 11:09 PM

If all this is over a little pot then it's overkill. There must be more to this or Dabo is going too far. Missing the playoffs is plenty stiff enough.

Mar 1, 2016, 8:57 AM

When I attended Clemson, I learned a lot of things, but what really happened is I grew up. That's what Cain is experiencing - difference is his situation is public. Keep on going Cain - you will be special on and off the field.

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic