Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alston v. NCAA Trial Could Shake Things Up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Alston v. NCAA Trial Could Shake Things Up

Oct 24, 2018, 10:42 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/player-compensation-lawsuit-vs-ncaa-could-usher-in-new-round-of-conference-realignment/

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alston v. NCAA Trial Could Shake Things Up

Oct 24, 2018, 10:48 AM

I have a thought about compensation.

Let’s assume it’s trye that every school out there has bag men that operate outside the programs. So technically the coaches “don’t know” about them.

When schools begin paying players, the ncaa will put a cap on how much a school can give out and how much a player can receive. College football would lose so much competitiveness otherwise. And the ncaa would freak out without exerting control over it. So then there will essentially be a salary cap + the bag men who are going to slip players money anyway.

I don’t think it will change much of this happens, it will just be more expensive to get players.

Oct 24, 2018, 10:53 AM

SageMoody®
I think you're spot on.

What I think will be most interesting will be if the players are compensated as employees, they will be eligible for workers compensation if injured. With the emerging research on brain injuries, things could get really interesting within the next decade. Personally, i'm conflicted. I think the players should be payed, but I can see the NCAA's argument that it will diminish the efficacy of the sport.

Oct 24, 2018, 3:56 PM

I'm on the fence too. I look at how much revenue these athletes generate compared to what they get paid (scholly and stipend) and it is not technically a fair wage. That is the NCAA's main concern, money.

There is a way around the workers comp problem. I'm not in finance or anything so I couldn't say what. But I'm sure there is somebody that could.

Oct 24, 2018, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Alston v. NCAA Trial Could Shake Things Up ]

Hypothetically speaking, how much would a player like deshaun Watson get out of high school if college football operated in a completely free market. I would think Clemson would shell out over a million a year.

Oct 24, 2018, 8:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Alston v. NCAA Trial Could Shake Things Up ]

Sage, you always post great thoughts! Tigernet is better because of fans like you!

Oct 24, 2018, 11:01 AM

The thought that the ACC will care more about academics and Clemson and FSU will move to the SEC doesn’t make sense. Football may not be #1 at every ACC school, but for certain they all care about sports especially basketball.

Are UNC, Duke, UVa and Syracuse going to refuse to pay basketball players if it is not allowed? UNC will lose recruiting battles to Mississippi State or Scar, I think not.

Oct 24, 2018, 11:04 AM

The argument is not that the ACC would not agree to pay players. It is that the ACC would probably not agree to pay at the same level as the football heavy schools who would be willing to dump millions of extra dollars into their football programs. Because the proposal is for the conferences to decide, the expectation is that Clemson and FSU would have to changes conferences in order to be allowed to pay enough to keep up in football.

Title IX will factor into the final product of paying player

Oct 24, 2018, 11:01 AM

If anybody thinks that only football players or only the revenue sports will have to pay players at the end of this discussion then they are sorely mistaken.

If it is approved to pay football players then they are begging for more lawsuits over inequality.

The final product will have to be all athletes at every school getting paid. Then the discussion will be how to decide which athletes get more and so on from there.

Athletes getting some money sounds like a basic concept to agree to, but it opens a huge can of worms for where it ends and how everything gets sorted out.

If the NCAA loses this case, it will cause major problems legally for years to come.

I'll just leave this article here

Oct 24, 2018, 11:12 AM

http://amp.thecomeback.com/ncaa/uga-saving-tens-of-millions.html

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hello IRS.***

Oct 24, 2018, 2:10 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA is a joke organization anyways

Oct 24, 2018, 2:27 PM

Everyone, in Europe talented athletic kids go to schools similar to IMG. They have customized curriculum tailored around their training schedules.

Younger kids get paid stipends to play for the professional organization. They compete on the youth squads to earn a spot on the professional B team and eventually the Premier Team.

If they don't get called up or promoted, they get traded or loaned to another club for development.

But if they are good athletes they get paid "some" money and living expenses from a young age.

The NCAA is a stupid idea. College athletics should be a system of organizations that pay players and is a micro-network of semi-professional sports. The NCAA will eventually become a semi-professional organization. They are stealing money from the athletes and it should be a crime.

The European and South American model of sports organizations work. The NCAA does not work.

The evolution of NCAA from "corporate thieves capitalizing on tv contracts while withholding money from the athletes/entertainers" WILL END. The change is INEVITABLE. We are part of the revolution.

Where is my V for Vendetta mask?? Ha.

Message was edited by: badkitty85®

Sounds a lot like the old USSR

Oct 24, 2018, 4:32 PM

Re: Sounds a lot like the old USSR

Oct 24, 2018, 6:26 PM

Obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about. Do your research.

Re: Sounds a lot like the old USSR

Oct 24, 2018, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Sounds a lot like the old USSR ]

Obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about. Do your research.

Why don't you make your point then instead of just

Oct 24, 2018, 6:36 PM

"well actually they s*ck but their intent is valid" - just

Oct 24, 2018, 8:53 PM

like the commies right

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should copy Europe. They are so awesome!***

Oct 24, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to The NCAA is a joke organization anyways ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are right. It's a little white lie that has a lot of

Oct 24, 2018, 8:53 PM [ in reply to The NCAA is a joke organization anyways ]

negative consequences for the actual student athletes. Especially the men who don't play revenue generating sports.

I'd love to see a complete decoupling of school and sports all the way down to high school and middle school. But that's just way too different for most people to even think about. People are scared little snowflakes that don't like being challenged.

Why would you decouple sports from school??

Oct 24, 2018, 10:42 PM

those arnt universities***

Oct 25, 2018, 7:25 AM [ in reply to The NCAA is a joke organization anyways ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Why is all the focus on the colleges and NCAA and not the

Oct 24, 2018, 4:18 PM

Re: Why is all the focus on the colleges and NCAA and not the

Oct 24, 2018, 6:34 PM

Lowering the NFL entry is a good idea. Transforming the NCAA from an amateur organization into a semi-pro organization makes sense. It’s what the rest of the world does. Amateur > semi pro > pro.

The NCAA doesn’t make sense. The money belongs to the athletes.

What are you even talking about?!?!

Oct 24, 2018, 6:47 PM

Re: What are you even talking about?!?!

Oct 24, 2018, 11:49 PM

I’m actually a former junior Olympian track athlete and undefeated 5x track/cross country state champion who was a scholarship athlete in the NCAA. It is better to segregate sports from schools such as the European model of soccer and basketball. It works better. You may not understand that. Obviously you don’t. That’s obvious. You have done no research but I’ll give you this, you’re the kid on the playground with a sledgehammer that is mad that his round circle won’t go in the square peg hole. The NCAA is being sued at an unprecedented rate. They harbor billions of dollars fr athletes who are now realizing a change must be made. Perhaps it is an NFL farm system. We are seeing new leagues originate. That’s great. Anything that allows a young talented kid to get paid earlier is great. They can get their degree later.

Yeah those Europeans sure kick our butts in

Oct 25, 2018, 12:04 AM

So then you were an expense to the university?

Oct 25, 2018, 6:48 AM [ in reply to Re: What are you even talking about?!?! ]

I guess then you’ll be paying your scholarship back? Or are you arguing that your school made a net profit off of their scholarship to you? For track.

I am all for developmental leagues. I would beg for this. I think someone posted that there is an NBA D League that would pay six figures. PLEASE, future NBA stars...go to this.

But they probably won’t. Because one year at Duke establishes their brand better.

I’ve said it a hundred times on here...find me any school in the country...ANY...that is begging football players to take their scholarships. Austin Peay? Full roster. Kent State? Full roster.

I don’t know what will happen but the idea that we should convert the NCAA into a European-style developmental league is absurd. And I’m fine with their BEING a youth developmental program if you want to do that, but that’s not what the NCAA is supposed to be.

null

There’s no reason to change the NCAA. It’s the NFL (and NBA)

Oct 24, 2018, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is all the focus on the colleges and NCAA and not the ]

that need to step up. Keep the NCAA amateur and force the pros to adopt a farm system.

Re: There’s no reason to change the NCAA. It’s the NFL (and NBA)

Oct 24, 2018, 11:54 PM

Correct. That’s actually the only change that would ever actually happen. However, it would deplete the NCAA’s tv contracts and viewership. There would be a migration of fan loyalty over a decade of watching your new local farm team.

That would be perfect. Would help get the ridiculous money out

Oct 25, 2018, 8:39 AM

of the picture. Coaches salaries would go back to a reasonable range and the “arms race” we find ourselves in would shrink. Bag men could become a thing of the past.

Bandwagon fans who care nothing for the schools would thankfully drift to the pros. Demand for tickets would decrease. One-and-done’s wouldn’t be as prevalent in basketball. The new free agency in CFB would disappear. Etc.

All I see is a bunch of winning.

It may end up with the NFL finally having to create a

Oct 24, 2018, 6:58 PM

minor league system for players that want to get paid. Let the ones that want to get a degree do that with scholarships while the others play in the minors.

Re: It may end up with the NFL finally having to create a

Oct 24, 2018, 7:04 PM

I think the hurdle would be where would they draw the infrastructure.

MLB doesn’t have any problems. They could lease college

Oct 24, 2018, 7:07 PM

stadiums and play on Sundays, as one option. There’s a lot of smaller schools that would love a little extra cash.

Oct 24, 2018, 7:13 PM

I wish past players would at least get a flat cut (not based on stardom) if they are included in something like EA's NCAA Football. That series is currently dead because of this compensation issue.

This is a very slippery slope.

Oct 24, 2018, 11:14 PM

Much like government programs, once the funding is allocated for this purpose, you can count on it never being removed. There will be no trial period, and no take backs. Once you start paying college athletes, it's forever.

I would be extremely disappointed if they are paid a dime.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: This is a very slippery slope.

Oct 25, 2018, 12:12 AM

On the surface the it makes sense, for the person who can’t see the whole equation. Look at the money “others” get. AD, coaches, facilities, etc...it just “makes sense” to pay them.

You may as well go ahead and cancel college athletics. It’ll be club teams (if the students can pool the money together).

You have to understand value. The value of 4 or 5 years of a free tuition, relaxed entrance requirements, room/board, elite training, meals/nutrition, tutoring, access to other benefits not afforded to the general paying student. Not to mention the status of “big man on campus” as an athlete. Regular students with better grades/scores are dying to go to Clemson and would pay to do so but are turned away!

So if you want to open pandora’s Box on college athletics by paying just save everyone time go ahead and kill it.

Oh and for the narrative of “what about the poor kid...”, you mean the one with no expenses and tons of benefits that might not have been afforded to him without college athletics?? Here’s a news flash, athletes in that situation already get paid...it’s called the pell grant. If you get grant money and have zero expense you’re GETTING PAID!

Rant over. Just look at the big picture, folks.

Exactly, college sports dies if they are required to pay

Oct 25, 2018, 12:37 AM

players.

THe baseball model is the one to shoot for. Let the NFL start a farm system so that the 5* players can go for a few years and play in front of nobody but family and scouts, while smaller, slower, less athletic kids still play in front of 80k+ fans for only a scholarship.

We aren't there to see great athletes put on a show. We're there to see our team play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 5:56 AM

Articles like this frustrate me because they don’t address the whole story. For example, they compare the revenue model of the NBA with limited number of athletes ($4B) vs the much larger NCAA Div I football . However this issue should relate to how athletes are treated across all NCAA member institutions and all sports from football to diving or wrestling. Then the revenue created by the power 5 via football and basketball has no chance to treat compensation for all athletes equitably. It just isn’t workable, and why should some athletes be compensated and others not? They all are risking injury and devoting time outside their academic schedule which are a couple of the arguments being made for why they should be paid.

I like the 4 conference, 16 teams per conference model.

Oct 25, 2018, 7:17 AM

It makes the playoff complete. 4 pods per conference, 4 teams per pod. Sprinkled through the early playing season the pods will each determine the best team. Toward the end of the season those four teams will have a mini playoff which will result in the better of the four.

The national playoff will consist of the conference winners. No playoff committee will be needed, there will be no subjective speculations and no bullchit involved. The better of each pod will play each other and the conference champs have a four team playoff.

The economics won't be upset because the other bowls can continue as usual.

The NCAA should be throw away and a new system formed by the four conferences. A new organization should be created which has teeth and isn't reluctant to use them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic