Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ranking schedule strength etc - Two things:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Ranking schedule strength etc - Two things:

Apr 18, 2019, 3:01 PM

First, all the preseason speculation and rankings are just that - speculation. How many teams in the preseason Top 10 each year end up in the Top 10 at the end of the year? Maybe 50%? All this talk about who has the strongest schedule this coming season is based purely on the speculation about how good each team - teams who have yet to play a game with the lineup they'll have next year - will be. So looking at U5C's schedule and saying that's the hardest in the country - that's based upon..... what? Speculation. Guessing. Same with saying our schedule is among the weakest. Who knows what teams will rebound and be strong and which ones will suck - in any conference??

Secondly, other than a few non-conference games (4?), you can't help who you play. We have U5C every year and at least one SoCon team every year. Beyond that, we've been scheduling at least one other SEC team each season. We can't help it if TA&M is in a rebuilding year when we play them, even though they were strong when we scheduled them. Same with FSU. Who would've thought 5 years ago that they'd be as bad as they are now? How is an AD supposed to plan for things like that?? They can't. You get what you get.

Short story with all this strength of schedule stuff - who cares. It's all meaningless at this point. The CFP did it right when they decided not to put out a ranking until late in the season when they actually had something on which to base those rankings. The rest - just a popularity contest and semi-educated wishful-thinking guesses.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ranking schedule strength etc - Two things:

Apr 18, 2019, 3:08 PM

Last year

1. Alabama (oops)
2. Clemson (props to the 3 folks that picked us #1)
3. Ohio State (lol Purdue, but essentially accurate)
4. Georgia (nope)
5. Oklahoma (Ok)
6. Washington (ehh not quite)
7. Wisconsin (lol)
8. Miami (who? was this "of Ohio")
9. Penn State (nope)
10. Auburn (lol)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN uses the FPI which is a metric that they created to

Apr 18, 2019, 3:34 PM

prop up their opinions. Guess what, the baseline of the FPI starts with the assumption that all SEC teams are superior, which naturaly is going to prop up the SEC in the FPI while denegrating other conferences.

So when you hear "The SEC has 5 of the top 10 in FPI, blah, blah,,", just remember that it is a creation of ESPN.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

YeP, as our historical President (unemployment @ 50 yr low) says regularly..

Apr 18, 2019, 5:14 PM

ESPN = FAKE News!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic