Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't?

Jun 8, 2019, 6:00 AM

Shameful & it starts from the top down. Saying, the HC is the 1st to blame.

Dabo Swinney could take every athletic team at Clemson & immediately squeeze out more wins in one season, imho.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saying DRad is at the pinnacle of the Athletic Department.***

Jun 8, 2019, 6:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saying DRad is at the pinnacle of the Athletic Department.***

Jun 8, 2019, 6:10 AM

Sooooo, nothing better to do than complain about the baseball team?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

? lbb doesn't understand why Duke can excel at Men's

Jun 8, 2019, 6:22 AM

Varsity Baseball while Clemson can not - a reasonable question.

I offered lbb the true apex of the Athletic Department.

Maybe you don't internet so good and yours was intended for lbb, not me?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We’re applying too much of our resources to men’s basketball.***

Jun 8, 2019, 6:19 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Judge vehemently disagrees in...

Jun 8, 2019, 6:50 AM

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We’re applying too much of our resources to men’s basketball.***

Jun 8, 2019, 7:47 AM [ in reply to We’re applying too much of our resources to men’s basketball.*** ]

I would rather scrap baseball for more men's hoops cash.

Re: We’re applying too much of our resources to men’s basketball.***

Jun 8, 2019, 9:45 AM

Oh heII no!

Me too. That’s a no brainer.

Jun 8, 2019, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: We’re applying too much of our resources to men’s basketball.*** ]

Basketball makes money and is more important than baseball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't?

Jun 8, 2019, 7:07 AM

Duke and Vandy have huge endowment funds in the billions that can be used to give "legal" general scholarships to baseball players where Clemson and most other power 5 schools cannot come close to. So yes, Duke can afford to have a good baseball team and Clemson only has extremely limited scholarships.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2019, 7:21 AM

Baseball Recruiting, Team Rankings per Perfect Game

https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx

A lot more to it than ACM money.

Avg. Class

Clemson 20
Duke 27

Jun 8, 2019, 7:26 AM

They apparently finally bought a tarp for the field

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Jun 8, 2019, 7:37 AM

we still have nicer tarps and can fund a crew to deploy them aS needed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke baseball field is 100% artificial material now.

Jun 8, 2019, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't? ]

Unless they use Durham Bulls facility.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2019, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Re: So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't? ]

Excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses
Sickening

Jun 8, 2019, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't? ]

Truth

Jun 8, 2019, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't? ]

Tiger68® said:

Duke and Vandy have huge endowment funds in the billions that can be used to give "legal" general scholarships to baseball players where Clemson and most other power 5 schools cannot come close to. So yes, Duke can afford to have a good baseball team and Clemson only has extremely limited scholarships.

This isn’t true. It’s a message board myth. They have the exact same baseball scholarships as everyone else. Their generous endowments let them offer significant financial aid based on income to their entire student bodies. Families with less than $60k annual income generally pay nothing to attend these schools (if they can get in). Identical to Ivy League schools - who aren’t exactly dominating college baseball.

Jun 8, 2019, 7:46 AM

Duke does have a lot more money. I am not sure if it matters though.

Duke is private and may not be playing by the same...

Jun 8, 2019, 8:08 AM

rules as public universities.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2019, 9:15 AM

Sorry LBB, have to disagree with you on this one. I don’t think even Dabo could pull it off with the lack of support and caring Clemson has for its off sports.

It makes me laugh that Berry gets on here and says it’s excuses. No, Clemson is sucking hind ### to everyone else who is competing in baseball , soccer, golf, f & t. Our facilities are behind the times when compared to teams that have risen to the top.

These teams will continue to put distance between us. In actuality, our coaches are over achieving given the lack of resources and support from the university.

Fact is, until Clemson decides to get serious about supporting the other sports and find ways to compete financially with creative aid for our Athletes and continue to upgrade our facilities, we’ll continue to see average to less than average teams on the field.

The only reason Monte’s doing as good a job as he has is because of his respect in state high school coaches and the same goes for Larry Penley.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What specifically do they need that they don’t have?

Jun 8, 2019, 9:23 AM

Any ideas???

Re: What specifically do they need that they don’t have?

Jun 8, 2019, 11:54 AM

Financial aid for student athletes. The Hope foundation is the only reason we were able to get Logan Davidson here.

I realized my post was going to be unpopular but it’s the truth... and not coming from me. My information is based on what DRad and other sports figures associated with Clemson. It’s not just my opinion. Hth.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What specifically do they need that they don’t have?

Jun 8, 2019, 12:22 PM

Financial aid for student athletes. The Hope foundation is the only reason we were able to get Logan Davidson here.

I realized my post was going to be unpopular but it’s the truth... and not coming from me. My information is based on what DRad and other sports figures associated with Clemson. It’s not just my opinion. Hth.

You can’t give financial aid just for being an athlete - that’s a scholarship and is governed by the NCAA rules. Financial aid is determined by financial need and is based of your FAFSA application. Whatever you offer is available to your entire student body - not just athletes. And they measure net worth, not just income. So you can’t simply take a year off work and get your kid into school for free. I don’t know anything about Logan’s family situation but really doubt the son of a 5 season MLB player is qualify for any school’s most robust financial aid packages. I know Vanderbilt sets the threshold at $60k/year for free attendance. The flipside to that policy is that very few kids who come from that background can actually get into Vanderbilt.

My understanding is Logan Davidson came to Clemson

Jun 8, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: What specifically do they need that they don’t have? ]

because of the academic common market.

Re: My understanding is Logan Davidson came to Clemson

Jun 8, 2019, 2:46 PM

You’re right 85grad, it was suggested that Logan benefited from that, and you’re right too viztiz... I appreciate both of the corrections, however, my point I was trying to make is it has a lot to do with other than Monte is just not a good coach and Dabo would turn the program around.

Whereas I may have had a few facts wrong, I believe Will Vandervort had excellent points and DRad offered not much more than we’re trying to figure it out... I just can’t believe with all the talent and money we have in and around Clemson that we can’t figure it out.

My apologies for wanting best is the standard for All of Clemson athletic teams.

Re: My understanding is Logan Davidson came to Clemson

Jun 8, 2019, 4:12 PM

Leaving the ACM is an unforced error by Clemson and furthers my low opinion of DRad that such a thing happened under his nose.

Jun 8, 2019, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't? ]

Clemson is a football school, no doubt about it. But to say that Clemson hasn’t put money into other programs isn’t true. Millions have been invested into basketball and baseball facilities the past several years.
The fact is start winning, and show consistency at winning, especially big games, and more money and more recruits will come. Everyone seems to forget that Dabo started off making around $800,000 and had to go up against football Goliaths. Good grief, Coastal Carolina won the CWS just a few years ago. Too many excuses for basketball and baseball.

Jun 8, 2019, 5:44 PM

You’re right LC, I wasn’t talking about basketball. You have full scholarships there as does football. We have updated LJ recently. B-ball imo is coaching and recruiting... that can and will be fixed.

I was referring primary to baseball as well as the other off season sports. Unfortunately, with the lack of financial assistance to players/students and coupled with the fact we’re not a private institution it’s a tough gig and facilities is about all you’re left with to compete with.

Bottom line, it’s a ton more to it than Monte just isn’t getting it done. With the 2009 roster and scholly changes, you’ll see more and more teams like coastal and jack st able to play for Omaha.... money.

don't know about other sports but baseball facilities

Jun 8, 2019, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: So Duke can afford to put out a very good baseball team, but Clemson can't? ]

should be as good as any

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2019, 9:43 AM

This hurts to say, take out our football program, and our athletic department is basically n.c. state without a trophy in basketball

But... we’re not taking out football.***

Jun 8, 2019, 12:16 PM

if money bought championships, all trophies would

Jun 8, 2019, 10:14 AM

reside in Texas/Texas A&M.

In baseball, sometimes things are unexplainable. A hot team >> a talented team.

The Duke kids are just peaking right now.
Vandy had won 24 of their last 25 games until last night.

Don't forget #1 Harvard

Jun 8, 2019, 11:46 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2019/03/28/college-endowment-universities-receive-most-gifts-funds/39230729/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 8, 2019, 10:47 AM

And by "afford" are you implying BRIBE, BUY, CHEAT.

What if we were to say: So Clemson can afford to put out a very good football team, but
Florida State...
Virginia Tech...
Miami...
etc...
can't.

Would that be fair? Or would that be offensive to Clemson fans?

Has Duke had a super-regional quality baseball team every year? Or is this year a product of longterm planning, teaching/coaching, growth, and the nexus of recruiting, transfers, junior drafts leaving, and limited injuries.

As for me, I'll wait patiently for the current coach to accumulate talent over time using the RECENT improvement in facilities while maximizing the limited number of scholarships, have a year when injuries don't dilute talent, and, while maintaining and solidifying staff, allow that staffing to improve and mature as they lead the program.

While we all like to win - all the time - it's impracticable to win in everything, all the time.

Jun 8, 2019, 11:56 AM

No, I don’t mean cheat and ridiculous to even infer that.

It took Dabo a few years for it to begin to click-4th & 16

Jun 8, 2019, 10:58 AM

Monte's only had four years. Maybe give him a little longer before getting so down about the state of the program? If after five years nothing has improved, then I believe it will be addressed.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: It took Dabo a few years for it to begin to click-4th & 16

Jun 8, 2019, 3:23 PM

So, give him one more year to make noticeable improvement?

Duke has a good basketball team too..

Jun 8, 2019, 4:37 PM

And soccer and lacross..
Plenty of reasons for any1 to drop clemson and go blue devils .

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 8, 2019, 7:49 PM

Bottom line is Duke is better coached and it shows on the field. Clemson has better talent but Duke is a better team, so what else could it be ?
Next season, year 5 with an experienced team and a good pitching staff will tell the tale for CML.
So far every season has ended about the same with spotty pitching, terrible fielding and nobody able to hit a beach ball. This program is spinning wheels and just before heading in reverse.
If we are not a top 20 type team next season it’s time for new blood .

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic