Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Driving to Auburn advice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,856

Driving to Auburn advice

Aug 30, 2016, 2:05 PM

So I have to leave from Clemson to Auburn at 4:30 on Friday. I don't even want to know how bad Atlanta's traffic will be especially with it being Labor Day Weekend. Google maps has the drive to Auburn estimating it to be under 4 hours but that's without the labor day traffic dilemma. Does anyone have recommendations about which way to go? I thought about going through Athens and towards Macon and the over to La Grange (5 hours), and if I decided to go through ATL I would probably take i285 to the south side to avoid most of i85. Does anyone know a better way? (Aside from leaving at a completely different time)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My two scents

Aug 30, 2016, 2:10 PM

I used to travel through Atlanta a good bit. My advice, since it will be around 6:00 when you are coming through Atlanta is just follow I-85. I never take the by-pass unless I'm coming 85N to Columbia (father-in-law lives in Columbia, I live in Mobile). It's a little like shooting craps. If their is o accidents along your route, you'll be fine. If not.... Anyway, I think 85S all the way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My two scents

Aug 30, 2016, 2:11 PM

no accidents

Re: My two scents

Aug 30, 2016, 2:11 PM

are no accidents. sorry should have proof read

Mickey doesn't, why should you?***

Aug 30, 2016, 10:48 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dittos....do not take 285 under any circumstance...go

Aug 30, 2016, 5:27 PM [ in reply to My two scents ]

straight through town on 85. Traffic won't be crazy going into town and sometimes on the way out it is bumper to bumper (all the time really), but often it moves along pretty well. Good luck!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i85s

Aug 30, 2016, 2:14 PM

and hammer it in left lane. or, 85 to 77 to 20

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

wait until 5:30 or 6 to leave. If you don't, you're likely

Aug 30, 2016, 2:18 PM

to end up in Auburn at the same time anyway and will have been in the car a lot longer.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

285 is just as bad as 85 if not worse***

Aug 30, 2016, 2:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Driving to Auburn advice

Aug 30, 2016, 3:24 PM

As a 30+ year Atl resident (and long suffering prisoner of Atl Rush hour traffic), the 'crap shoot theory' above is pretty much spot on. An accident, breakdown on the shoulder, ANY hiccup SNARLS traffic and you are SCREWED. And ALL holiday traffic volume is significant, so you need to plan on being PATIENT. It's brutal, but it DOES move (except for the occasional 'total shutdown' - think plane crash on roadway; fuel truck explosion, bridge collapse, etc., etc.

For 'real time' traffic updates (also on your smartphone), check out Georgia Navigator at:(http://www.511ga.org/#zoom=3&lat=3990785.92806&lon=-9392690.23602&a_con_ctl&u_con_ctl&msg_ctl&h_inc_ctl&l_inc_ctl&vsp_ctl&cam_ctl&g_inf_ctl&spec_ctl ) for some real time updates, even on your smartphone while traveling.

Good luck my friend!

But my advice: leave an hour (at least) earlier than you think you need to - to insure you get to where you are going 'on time'!

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Aug 30, 2016, 3:42 PM

As someone who is from Greenville and still has family there but currently lives in Macon and travels both routes, I would recommend avoiding Atlanta like the plague on Friday with the holiday traffic. It's a crapshoot anytime you go thru there, but with holiday travel, traffic will probably be horrendous in Atlanta. I would get off in Commerce and go thru Athens on Hwy. 441. When you get to Madison, GA, go west on I-20 for 1 mile to the next exit (Ex. 113) which is Hwy. 83. Turn left and follow this route thru Monticello, GA to Forsyth, GA. The reason for this route over continuing on Hwy 441 is less traffic and a little bit shorter to get to the north part of Macon. In Forsyth, get on I-75S (this is Ex. 182). When you get to the I-75/I-475 split, take I-475 (it's shorter, bypasses downtown Macon, and runs back into I-75S. Go to Ex. 149 in Byron, GA and turn right on Hwy. 49/96 to Columbus. This is a 4 lane highway to Columbus. There is a small town named Reynolds that you will pass thru on this route. The speed limit will drop going thru this town for about a mile. Observe the posted speed limit thru this town since it's a notorious speed trap. After that, it's a fairly straight and flat road until you get towards Columbus (hwy nbr will change at some point to Hwy. 80). When you get to Columbus, stay on Hwy. 80 till you get to Hwy. 280. This will take you back to I-85 not too far from Auburn. I haven't been on this strech of road from Columbus to Auburn, so I can't comment on what the road is like. From Macon to Columbus takes about 1.25 - 1.5 hrs. Hope this helps. Enjoy the game. Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2016, 10:23 PM

I played with google maps and I found a route similar to yours. I followed your path until Forsyth and then headed west toward LaGrange via different highways. Do you know anything about that route? Or do you think it is smarter to go to Macon and then Columbus? Thanks for the advice

Aug 31, 2016, 12:44 AM

I looked at that and it would be all 2 lane roads from Forsyth, but the distance across doesn't seem to be that bad. I've only been as far west from Forsyth as Barnesville and that stretch isn't bad road-wise or traffic-wise. I haven't been on any of the other roads cutting across to LaGrange. The stretch from Madison to Forsyth is a 2 lane road but traffic is not heavy and you can pass if you get behind someone slower.

I also looked at Google Maps (satellite image) and Hwy. 280 out of Columbus looks like its a 4 lane hwy up to I-85.

If you decide to take either one of these routes, I think you would be fine. Atlanta, from my experience, can either be ok or a royal pain in the you know what. I normally observe traffic heading down toward Commerce before deciding whether to go the Athens route or the Atlanta route. If it's pretty heavy by the time you get to Commerce, it's gets even heavier by the time you get to the skirts of Atlanta (approx. 30 - 40 mi.). GA and UNCheat are playing in the GA Dome on Saturday, so there may be traffic from the tarhole fans as well heading into Atlanta. If you do decide to go the Atlanta route, I would definitely stay on 85S thru town and not take 285 around.

Depending on when you return, the Atlanta route may be fine going back. I hope this helps. Have a safe trip. I can't wait to watch the game Saturday night and get this season started! Go Tigers!

Aug 30, 2016, 10:57 PM

If traffic pattern is normal, 285 will be much more congested than 85.

The Connector looks good from what I see

Aug 30, 2016, 11:13 PM

There has been no construction on the connector (75/85). As a bonus, the Braves are out of town that weekend.

You should be fine coming through downtown.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,856
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic