Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Frank Beamer was a candidate when we hired CTB...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Frank Beamer was a candidate when we hired CTB...

May 23, 2019, 12:37 PM

Does anyone else ever wonder what might have been?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Frank Beamer was a candidate when we hired CTB...

May 23, 2019, 12:43 PM

We did fine. Unlikely we ever get Dabo if they went that way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We would have played for a championship in 1999...

May 23, 2019, 12:44 PM

and had the nation's longest 10 win season streak. Dabo would have definitely wanted to be a part of that, I think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Our trophy case would have been just as empty as it was

May 23, 2019, 12:45 PM

with CTB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

We would have won the ACC in...

May 23, 2019, 12:49 PM

2004, 2007, 2008 and 2010.

I strongly disagree***

May 23, 2019, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Our trophy case would have been just as empty as it was ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm comparing VT in it's glory days (losing a NC game, beating BC and FSU

May 23, 2019, 1:06 PM

to win ACC titles) to our glory days of national titles.

Doesn't bring up much to make me wish we had this guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

1998 - 2008...

May 23, 2019, 1:09 PM

VT > Clemson in football.

Re: 1998 - 2008...

May 23, 2019, 3:31 PM

I seem to remember Shyrone Stith running all over the tigers in '98, he made Robert Carswell look like a matador.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I’m glad we didn’t get him but I’m confident he would’ve

May 23, 2019, 1:16 PM [ in reply to I'm comparing VT in it's glory days (losing a NC game, beating BC and FSU ]

won the conference and won 10+ games at Clemson just like he did at VT. We would’ve had some championship trophies but I seriously doubt they would’ve been BCS trophies. As for the present he would’ve been retired years ago.

Re: Oh I’m glad we didn’t get him but I’m confident he would’ve

May 23, 2019, 1:47 PM

Well - possibly CootSmackdown - But he took years to get untracked at VT - would it have been the same delay at Clemson ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Doubt it. Beamer had a ton of experience by that time.

May 23, 2019, 3:50 PM

I have to spell it out a little here. I don’t think any Clemson fan in their right mind would want anything to have unfolded any differently. My point is that Beamer was a much better coach than Tommy and I believe could’ve easily had several 10 win seasons at Clemson as well as at least a couple of ACC championships. It’s like a sportscaster outside of the program said a few years ago. 10 wins should be the absolute floor for a program like ours in the ACC. Many called us a sleeping giant in the ACC a few years ago. Tommy Bowden was an underachiever. Any great coach like Beamer could’ve won big here IMO. Probably not like Dabo but they could’ve put a couple of conference championship trophies in the case for us. Bowden was not a good coach and that’s why he didn’t have people coming after him when he left. Go watch some of Tommy’s teams’ highlights against a Beamer coached team and you’ll see what I mean. 2006 was an absolute embarrassment.

Re: I'm comparing VT in it's glory days (losing a NC game, beating BC and FSU

May 23, 2019, 1:53 PM [ in reply to I'm comparing VT in it's glory days (losing a NC game, beating BC and FSU ]

A sad display on Frank’s part - I think ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

If we didn't get Bowden, we wouldn't have gotten Dabo

May 23, 2019, 2:42 PM [ in reply to I'm comparing VT in it's glory days (losing a NC game, beating BC and FSU ]

Period. I'm not quite sure many Clemson fans really realize where we are, or what we are on the precipice of becoming. We would have been good, and probably better under Beamer. Maybe even have played in a BCS game or even won a title. BUT, we're beyond that right now. We have two National Championship trophies. We've placed in the top 4 teams post season 4 years in a row. Three of those four years we played for a natty. We've won 2 out of 3 natty games. We're beyond where Danny Ford took us. We've leapfrogged over the LSU's, Ohio States, Notre Dames, FSU's, Ohlahoma's, etc. We're the only team that can kick the crap out of Alabama. And the only one to do it with Saban as their head coach. We could have easily hung 51 on them but pulled back, out of respect probably.

When all is said and done here, depending on how well we can keep this going, recruits will think of Dabo and Clemson in the same manner they've thought of Alabama and Saban for the past 8+ years. Clemson CAN be the dynasty team of the 2020's. Like ND was in the 80's. FSU was in the 90's. Bama was the past decade, and in the 60's.

If Saban retires tomorrow, Dabo won't go. He's built a home for himself, out of bricks he laid, sweat he poured, right here at Clemson. The tears of the 2012 Orange Bowl against WVA and the joy of 4th and 16 against LSU, those are the things he's coached through to get to where we are. We have two former players as co-OC's, and the best defensive coordinator in college football. Period. Dabo found those gems, and polished them up and they're shining as bright as ever.

Tommy Bowden, TDP, DRad, Dabo, Chad Morris, and all the players too countless to name, have all played a role in getting to where we are today. It could not have happened any other way. And make no mistake, people are paying attention to Dabo. Not with his coaching, but his world-view, his philosophy, and how he operates as a man, a person, and a motivator and leader. He's very similar to coach Saban at Alabama, but a totally different in personality and charisma. Parents want their kids to play for him, at Clemson, in his system. Herbstreit knows and has seen what this whole post is about. Others have too. I've known it all along. The pieces were there. Clemson only needed a leader to put everything together. That's what has happened. And Tommy Bowden was one of those pieces. So was Tajh Boyd, Hunbter Renfrow, CJ Spiller, Chad Morris, TDP, President Barker, President Clements, and all the staff, faculty, students, and alumni.

So there are no "what if's" in our past. We are where we are because everything happened the way it did. Standing where we stand now, I wouldn't change a thing if I could make a time machine, go back in time, and change whatever I wanted to change. Wouldn't do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re spot on Tiggity

May 23, 2019, 3:00 PM

I said the same in a post below.... except in a lot less words. I never said I wish we would’ve gotten Beamer.

There is no way to know that.***

May 23, 2019, 3:06 PM [ in reply to If we didn't get Bowden, we wouldn't have gotten Dabo ]

Re: Our trophy case would have been just as empty as it was

May 23, 2019, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Our trophy case would have been just as empty as it was ]

... or at least as sparsely populated as VT's trophy case is now. I wouldn't trade where we are with anyone, and I wouldn't change a thing in the past for fear that we wouldn't be where we are.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2019, 12:53 PM

No, that never would have been, period. We couldn't have offered him to be the highest paid college coach, it still wouldn't have put a wedge between him and VT!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson was very interested at the time.***

May 23, 2019, 12:59 PM

Our streak of not having a 10+ win season or not winning the conference

May 23, 2019, 1:01 PM

would’ve been easily almost cut in half. Bowden was not going to win championships with his personality and game day demeanor. That being said everything worked out for the best. We wouldn’t be where we are today if Beamer would’ve gotten the job.

I think the only difference is it wouldn't have taken Dabo..

May 23, 2019, 1:03 PM

as long to start winning championships. Instead of two, I think he'd be on 3 or 4 by now. That's how much of a head start Frank would have given us.

I agree and #######ing would’ve never been a word***

May 23, 2019, 1:19 PM

Re: No

May 23, 2019, 1:24 PM

He was interviewed and wanted the job, from what I heard.

But, if we had hired him it's unlikely we end up with Dabo.

All of the painfully frustrating lessons Clemson learned along the way make what we've got now so special.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fisher DeBerry at Air Force was also on the list.

May 23, 2019, 1:40 PM

IIRC he took his name out of consideration but I don't remember why or if that was for sure the case. He's from Cheraw and played for Wofford and had just taken AF to a 12-1 record. It's odd to me that Beamer was interested. He had a pretty good thing at VT and was about to go 22-2 over the next 2 seasons.

Re: Fisher DeBerry at Air Force was also on the list.

May 23, 2019, 1:49 PM

FB wouldn't have left VT for any other team, he had it made at VT, and he was loved, and he loved VT!!!

If he showed any interest at all in Clemson, that was his agent leading the way for more money for himself and Frank!!! Just as TB done right before he quit/fired!!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. I don't believe Beamer would've ever taken the job.

May 23, 2019, 2:03 PM

Ultimately, it came down to Bowden and coach Ford. Coach Ford offered to coach the first year for free and they bought out Bowden's contract at Tulane (half of it, anyway) and told coach Ford thanks but no thanks.

Re: Fisher DeBerry at Air Force was also on the list.

May 23, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Fisher DeBerry at Air Force was also on the list. ]

You're entitled to your own opinion, just not your own set of facts.

Clemson passed Beamer over in favor of Bowden. Beamer was never offered the job, but he made it apparent that he was willing to leave VT. He thought Clemson was the better job. TB was Clemson's 1st choice, not Beamer.

You may not feel that way, but your opinion is irrelevant to what actually took place.

I don't think anyone is saying Beamer was Clemson's

May 23, 2019, 2:46 PM

first choice. That's pretty apparent in the fact Clemson didn't offer him the job.

Maybe Beamer's interest was just of the token variety because of the connection between Beamer and Clemson president at the time Deno Curris (which I was unaware of until 3 minutes ago). Here's an article from '98 that sheds a little light, even if it is from a Hokie Homer.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19981125-1998-11-25-9811250019-story.html

And, Hillary Clinton was a candidate the last time I voted.

May 23, 2019, 2:22 PM

Didn't mean I had to vote for her?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Then why did you?

May 23, 2019, 2:46 PM

Still smh

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

So, you are one of those pesky Russians who changed

May 23, 2019, 5:10 PM

my vote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

At this point in time.....umm.....no.***

May 23, 2019, 2:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't doubt the path we took

May 23, 2019, 2:52 PM

We got Dabo. VT still has Bud Foster.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

That means Justin Fuente

May 23, 2019, 2:55 PM

would be our coach now, I am not sure I like your idea.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2019, 3:08 PM

These "what if" threads makes me think I'm on a Gamecock board.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beamer was a fine coach for Virginia Tech.

May 23, 2019, 3:52 PM

I think Beamer did a great job at his alma mater, taking VaTech from obscurity to prominence. Bravo for him.

However, Beamer has a lifetime losing record against Clemson, I am not sure how or why any Clemson fan would wish that we had ever hired him.

And Beamer lost the biggest game of his career. He got VT to the BCS title game and lost. When a non-blue blood team gets to the championship game, they must win it. Losing your only shot at a Natty is a killer forever.

Clemson has played in 4 National Title Games and we have won 3 of them. That's the difference between a Champion and an also-ran.

I bet Frank wonders what might have been. ***

May 23, 2019, 5:06 PM

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic