Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What can Brad Brownell do to win back the fanbase?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

What can Brad Brownell do to win back the fanbase?

Apr 16, 2019, 10:28 AM

And by fanbase, I mean of course the most important ones, the TNet universe. Outside of the obvious, winning more games and getting to the NCAA Tournament, I suggest:

The next time an official screws us, (which will probably be our next ACC game), grab a chair and go all Bobby Knight / Lefty Drizzel, launching it in his general direction. Then, after the ejection that is sure to follow, go Billy Martin up close and personal with him, complete with Garlic and Ranch Salad breath, until you are forcibly removed from the arena.

While this may not directly impact the game, it will certainly let the fanbase, and more importantly, YOUR TEAM know that you are totally invested and have their back. It will favorably impact games down the road. Future officials will not be so quick to screw us if they are worried about some fine Amurican plastic flying their way if they blow that whistle, or that their uniform will smell like vampire proofing for the rest of the game.

Any other suggestions are of course welcomed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What can Brad Brownell do to win back the fanbase?

Apr 16, 2019, 10:32 AM

He'll have to figure out how to shut down T-Net.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love that idea

Apr 16, 2019, 10:32 AM

Not having 2-3 players transfer out every year would be a nice start too

Apr 16, 2019, 10:33 AM

Win in Chapel Hill... even then I am not sure he can solve the fanbase issue.

Even with a Final Four run, it might be tough as fanbases naturally get antsy over time. Even Barnes wore out Texas. Basically, you have to win a natty to keep a fanbase happy and even those wear out in some schools (Ask Gary Williams).

difficult question to answer

Apr 16, 2019, 10:51 AM

As there are actually two fan bases. On one hand you have internet children who have a tremendous amount of coaching knowledge and demand perfection from the players. These very clever coaches have never experienced failure of any kind in their lives and somehow have never supported Clemson University in any way. Strange that they are so concerned about a basketball program that they hope will fail!

On the other hand you have a fan base that truly cares about the university that they have supported with monies and countless hard hours of study and faith for many years. These fans rely very heavily on the abilities of those in charge of THEIR university to make good decisions about the ways the school is administered, athletically and otherwise.

So, you have fans and you have FANS! Which are you?

Go Tigers .$upport Clemson.

Re: difficult question to answer

Apr 16, 2019, 11:12 AM

I attended the Wichita State game :)

Re: difficult question to answer

Apr 16, 2019, 11:41 PM [ in reply to difficult question to answer ]

I coached High School Boys BB for 11 years. That doesn't make me an expert, but I was in the state final four once. So there is some knowledge here, considering if you looked at our team . . . you were not worried. The point is, I do have a clue and I have been adamant about what it takes to win BB at Clemson. It's not the same business model as Duke, it is the same business model as Virginia has been using lately.

I agree, Virginia is a great model for us.

Apr 17, 2019, 3:12 PM

However, there are a few issues we have to address:

1. They spent the equivalent of three times as much on their new arena than we did on our renovations.
2. Their basketball history is better than ours.
3. Their fans show up for basketball games better than ours (this was true when they weren't great too).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Resign !!!***

Apr 16, 2019, 10:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Punch Coack K in the face

Apr 16, 2019, 10:36 AM

and then resign like a man.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Punch Coack K in the face

Apr 16, 2019, 10:40 AM

And back over Roy on his way out with a bus.

We're not on the ROY bus any longer***

Apr 16, 2019, 11:26 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Don't know if I would go that radical, but I do remember

Apr 16, 2019, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Punch Coack K in the face ]

Rick Barnes picking up a bunch of fans after he got in Dean Smith's face one year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think there is anything he can do.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:37 AM

1 step forward and 2 steps back has been his mantra. We are looking at a good team once every 5 - 7 years.

Even a blind squirrel could recruit players to Clemson right now. He doesn't have the ability to spot, recruit and keep talent at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think there is anything he can do.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:54 AM

And yet, the so-called blind squirrel is our best coach.

There is little doubt, after watching BB/Clemson that Brad is a top 25 coach. Maybe 25th but very few are better. He constantly over-performs with what he has available.

One, he has mad Clemson a stable program that can win/challenge during some tough home conditions. Sure, we are the darkest of horses, but we are no longer the dead horse in the corner either. Go look at Wake as what we COULD be.

Are people going to believe you or their own lying eyes?

Apr 16, 2019, 11:00 AM

Attendance dropped below 6,800 this year. What will it be next year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure if that is an indictment of Brownell or of our

Apr 16, 2019, 11:06 AM

fan base.

Coming off of a Sweet 16 season, with high expectations this year, and we still can't get more fans to show up? I know it's easy to blame the coach and players for not being exciting enough or winning enough, but we won 20 games this year and were competitive in 90% of our losses. If fans require more than that to show up, then perhaps they just don't appreciate good basketball.

It would be one thing if we were at the bottom of the conference in terms of basketball success under Brownell, but we aren't. Especially not the last couple of years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The losses to Creighton, Nebraska, Miss. State and then

Apr 16, 2019, 11:22 AM

going 1 for 6 to start the ACC slate killed any momentum that might have been created.

After 9 years, people don't trust Brownell to get the job done. And rightfully so. This year was further re-enforcement of that lack of trust. He takes one step forward and three steps back. And now these transfers depleting our roster.

You can't publicly humiliate people or brow beat them into attending and you can't make attendance mandatory. You can't force people to get excited about barely losing every game. Attendance below 7,000 per game this year and probably further erosion of support next year. I would think the local business owners would want a change as well.

This is not rocket science.

Re: I'm not sure if that is an indictment of Brownell or of our

Apr 16, 2019, 1:02 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure if that is an indictment of Brownell or of our ]

Judge, If I had been lucky (?) enough to have a boss like you during my career, I could have just shown up for work, pushed a few papers around, made a lot of excuses, and basically have been semi-retired my entire career. Unfortunately, I had bosses that expected me to perform at a high level, and I would have been fired from EVERY job I ever had if I performed no better than CBB.

Expectations should be commensurate with

Apr 16, 2019, 1:24 PM

the resources provided to do the job. I don't feel that Clemson provides adequate resources to expect more from our head basketball coach. In fact, I think it's remarkable that we finish 8th in the ACC on average under Brownell, given the low level of support for the program from the administration and fans.

Let's assume you work in sales, and you are asked to sell a product. That product is inferior to the big name products in the field, and has a long track record of being of poor quality. You are brought in to try to sell more of that product, knowing that it has a poor reputation in the industry. You obviously have a big job on your hands.

To overcome the poor reputation this product has, and based on feedback you get from current and prospective customers, this product needs to be improved. You ask your boss for some enhancements to the product to make it more appealing to today's customers, since you and your customers both know that this product is made cheaply. You also ask for better training for you and your sales team, as well as additional staff to help you do your job better. A repositioning of this product in the market will surely require a lot of time and effort, since it has a poor reputation to overcome.

Unfortunately, your boss does not agree to any of your requests for the first five years of your tenure. Still, you work tirelessly to improve the product and the sales cycle to the best of your ability. Finally, in your seventh year, you are provided with a product that is made with better materials so that it is now on par (but not better than) your competitors. In your eighth year, you are finally given an additional sales force to help your team meet with more customers and hopefully make more sales. That was two years ago, and in those two years since, you have sold more products. In fact, last year you had one of the best years the company has ever seen. You had another good year this year relative to your company's history.

Despite these small improvements, your job certainly isn't perfect. You are still having to overcome the perception that your product is inferior. You are still competing with products with a long history of quality and success. And your boss still hasn't provided you with some key improvements you feel that you need to do your job better.

Given this situation, how would you feel if your boss expected you to outsell most of your competitors on a regular basis? Would that be a fair expectation of your boss to have?

Re: I'm not sure if that is an indictment of Brownell or of our

Apr 16, 2019, 7:08 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure if that is an indictment of Brownell or of our ]

If you accept mediocrity, that's what you're going to get.

Our fans who are content to see our athletic department

Apr 17, 2019, 3:13 PM

spend next to lowest in the ACC on basketball are the ones accepting mediocrity.

Re: Are people going to believe you or their own lying eyes?

Apr 16, 2019, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Are people going to believe you or their own lying eyes? ]

The Greenville years hurt attendance. Kinda disrupted things. The Reno hurt more. They definitely made LJ a lot less "general admission" friendly. F* those grey seats. The need to have a fill down policy in place asap and let the "general" folks get VIP treatment when the VIPs are MIA.

Next, how much was the fan base spending on travel this year? How much was a football hang-over. Heck we didn't even have a mascot during the Lipscomb game because everything was in Dallas. And to a 3 year old, the mascot was the most important thing in the world.

Apr 16, 2019, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think there is anything he can do. ]

Hire a great recruiting coach and recruit his tail off.

Apr 16, 2019, 5:39 PM

only works so well if the player doesn't like the headcoach or the culture.

I don't think firing BB should happen this year but he is one dull SOB. That and the style reminds us of GT Paul style football. It's not overly exciting. Winning is great but we need more excitement. He needs to be more animated on the sidelines and more invested even if he is, he doesn't look like it.

Brad would not appear on anyone's list

Apr 16, 2019, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think there is anything he can do. ]

of top 25 coaches. That is an insane statement

The fact that you believe "a blind squirrel could recruit

Apr 16, 2019, 10:59 AM [ in reply to I don't think there is anything he can do. ]

players to Clemson right now" tells us all we need to know about how misguided you are when it comes to Clemson basketball.

Many of the irrational fans here have already made up their minds about him

Apr 16, 2019, 10:37 AM

so there is nothing he can do to change their opinions.

After 9 years, what could we possibly know about him?***

Apr 16, 2019, 10:43 AM

He's been here 9 years. That's plenty of time for people

Apr 16, 2019, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Many of the irrational fans here have already made up their minds about him ]

to make up there mind, right or wrong, about the guy.

You do realize he's had nine seasons to change opinions***

Apr 16, 2019, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Many of the irrational fans here have already made up their minds about him ]

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:45 AM

The trust, the praise, the fun, all three are connected with winning, and without just one of those things, we have what we have from the fan base right now. Most want to see Brownell gone, and it would take more than just one winning season to get our fan base to support Brad at this point bc, 10 years of disappointment is very hard to recover from, the fun is in the winning, sports is all about the winning the majority of the time!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ten years of disappointment?

Apr 16, 2019, 11:04 AM

If fans are disappointed by finishing in the middle of the ACC pack on average in basketball, finally getting the facilities we've needed for a long time, winning 20 games each of the last 2 seasons, and making the Sweet 16 just one year ago...

...at a school which has long relegated basketball to redheaded stepchild status and has the worst basketball history in the ACC and spends next to least in the ACC on basketball...

...then perhaps some people need to re-evaluate their expectations. Given all of that, Brad is overachieving at Clemson relative to the investment made by the administration and fans.

Again, if people want to be better at basketball, great! I think we should strive for that as well. But it's ridiculous to expect better than we've been under Brownell when we didn't even provide anything close to a level playing field until 2 years ago when he had the facilities and staff in place he had been asking for since he was hired.

You may be right. That doesn't make it any less

Apr 16, 2019, 11:55 AM

disappointing for the fan base. It probably isn't all Brad's fault, but he can't be magically extricated from it either. It's his program, and fair or not, and he's tied to the results. After NINE YEARS, he's got to own it. It's crazy to think that he would be able to lead this program forward, to bigger and better things, at this point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 16, 2019, 10:46 AM

Cover a few rounds at the Esso on a Football weekend.

What a stupid premise.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:51 AM

Not winning games and Not making the tournament is how he lost the fanbase.

It's the only way to get it back.

Nothing else matters.

Duh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What a stupid premise.

Apr 16, 2019, 11:04 AM

Not true.

Winning, and making the tourney did nothing. This year and last year look identical in LJ, even early on.

A 20 win season and quick NIT exit doesn't give you a woodie

Apr 16, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to What a stupid premise. ]

for Clemson Basketball?

How many 20 win seasons have we had in the last 50 years?***

Apr 16, 2019, 5:04 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was a very disappointing year for Clemson Basketball.

Apr 16, 2019, 5:50 PM

Even Coach Brownell and Radakovich wouldn't argue that point.

I can't help but notice you responded, but failed to answer

Apr 16, 2019, 10:59 PM

my question

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not winning games?!?

Apr 16, 2019, 11:08 AM [ in reply to What a stupid premise. ]

We've won 20 games each of the past two seasons. We had one of our best seasons ever at Clemson just one year ago when we made the Sweet 16. If fans won't show up consistently to support that, then perhaps the interest in basketball just isn't strong enough at Clemson to begin with.

The Clemson fan base and administration doesn’t care

Apr 16, 2019, 11:13 AM

About basketball or Brad would have been fired 5 years ago. After 9 seasons what evidence is there that he can elevate the program?

Find a really good up-and-coming assistant coach with a lot

Apr 16, 2019, 11:25 AM

of energy and charisma who can motivate great-shooting recruits to come here and players to play smart, fundamentally sound, energetic basketball

and then quit.

Make shirts that say "family."***

Apr 16, 2019, 11:39 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win. Win big. Period.

Apr 16, 2019, 11:41 AM

The Sweet 16 run was . . . sweet. His 1st season here was encouraging. The other SEVEN SEASONS were "meh", building for something bigger and better, something that never happened. Overall, Clemson basketball during his time here has been an unequivocal disappointment. Following 3 straight trips to the NCAA tournament, it was reasonable to hope for more of the same (or better), but it did not happen. The only cure is winning, winning big, right away. Anything else is outright failure at this point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 16, 2019, 11:51 AM

I’m down with this 100%

Apr 16, 2019, 1:08 PM

I think if he shaves his head he will be loved by the citadel fan base when he becomes their next coach.

Making the Dance would be a nice start***

Apr 16, 2019, 1:11 PM

Apr 16, 2019, 1:13 PM

Win 20+ games in back to back seasons... oh wait....

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 1:52 PM

Win the ACC

Beating unCheat in chapel hole

Apr 16, 2019, 2:47 PM

Would be a positive step forward

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Apr 16, 2019, 3:22 PM

Our fan base is so sparse and fickle I doubt anything can be done. People here on only interested in moaning about hoops not going to any game

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 3:39 PM

1. We are in need of some players, so recruiting is #1 at this point.

2. Win. Win the games the team is expected to win, along with a few shocking upsets.

3. Build on successful seasons. Consistently improve from one season to the next.

4. Lobby the administration for more pay for assistants. Contribute some of his own pay increases, if needed. (Sound familiar?)

5. Hire the best assistants he can get (if possible, with Clemson ties).

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 16, 2019, 4:00 PM

1. Check - best incoming class in a while.
2. Done and done. Has been doing this for years.
3. Done-ish Has improved but is much more jerky as last year was ahead of schedule.
4. Done
5. Doing

6. Punch someone, preferably someone from Tobacco Rd... but not a Wake person because they are sad.

Apr 16, 2019, 4:14 PM

He put it all together last year, and some elements of it every year. However, it has not been as consistent as it needs to be.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 17, 2019, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: What can Brad Brownell do to win back the fanbase? ]

1. 37th ranked class......sound very NITish to me.

Go on a good will whistle stop tour

Apr 16, 2019, 4:09 PM

across the footprint area with Judge Keller as his spokesman and cheerleader.

The Judge would probably be on board with that, not sure

Apr 17, 2019, 8:57 AM

about the Goodwill or the Whistle.

Apr 17, 2019, 9:07 AM

Winning of course. Also, with a huge personality like he has, it shouldn't be a problem. He is so inspiring. Dabo could learn something from Brad.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic