Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting to see how that Dabo hire was "graded" in 2008
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 2,348

Interesting to see how that Dabo hire was "graded" in 2008

Jan 12, 2017, 8:27 AM

http://www.espn.com/espn/columns/story?id=3777520&columnist=forde_pat&sportCat=ncf

D+ huh?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two of those won national championships..***

Jan 12, 2017, 8:32 AM

Didn't end well, but Sark turned his UW job into the USC job

Jan 12, 2017, 8:43 AM

Bill Snyder hasn't been bad at KSU either.

Pat Forde was pretty much wrong on all of those except Doug Marrone, but Marrone did turn that job into a head coaching gig at the NFL level.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting to see how that Dabo hire was "graded" in 2008

Jan 12, 2017, 8:37 AM

Many on TigerNet shared Pat Forde's opinion on the Dabo hire. You should do a search and post some of those since you are doing a retrospective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2017, 8:41 AM

Many of them have changed their names to hide their shame .

There were many on here who were LIVID at TDP***

Jan 12, 2017, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting to see how that Dabo hire was "graded" in 2008 ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be fair, TDP didn't do himself many favors during that

Jan 12, 2017, 9:30 AM

process. He kept commenting on the national coaching search they were conducting and ended up hiring a guy who not only lacked head coaching experience but didn't even have experience as a coordinator. As fans we didn't have insight to Dabo's player interactions and couldn't really see what a leader he was. After the USuCk game with Dabo as an interim coach, I personally believed that if TDP hired a big name, great, but if he thought Dabo deserved a shot then I was ok with that too. Let's not pretend there wasn't a big learning curve for him, but he made some great, albeit tough decisions on assistants and coordinators. In hindsight it was one of the best and ballsiest decisions TDP could have made.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Pat Forde sure looks foolish

Jan 12, 2017, 8:51 AM

smh

Lets be perfectly honest here. Not many people were

Jan 12, 2017, 8:59 AM

genuinely excited about the Dabo hire. The opinions of the hire on Tigernet ranged from "ok with it" to completely outraged. It definitely seemed like a reach by TDP.

Obviously it has worked out brilliantly, but back in 2008 nobody had the benefit of knowing what has unfolded in the 8 full seasons that Dabo has been HC.

You can understand how people, especially outside

Jan 12, 2017, 9:09 AM

the program, would not think much of the hire. It was obviously brilliant, but I wouldn't have too much heartache over people who are paid to give opinions, giving opinions that make some sense at the time. He proved them wrong, and Pat Forde would be the first to recognize and appreciate it.

If you read what Forde wrote...

Jan 12, 2017, 9:12 AM

there's nothing illogical or stupid about it. Dabo just turned out to be awesome, and TDP could see it. He might have been the only one.

Tommy Bowden could see it - Gene Stallings could see it -

Jan 12, 2017, 9:36 AM

basically anybody that had direct contact with him could see it.

I loved the hire . . . and fought the likes of Chas Tom & Razz & many others on here that didn't even want to give him a MINUTE to try & improve things.

The thing that gets me - and it is especially prevalent in the pros - is just rehashing the SAME OL', SAME OL' coaches over & over again.

We were at a point where we needed new energy & a young, enthusiastic vision for how to make us better.

And at the presser where CDS was asked was he worried about the "chance" we were taking on him and he said - NO - but not in a Lane Kiffin, arrogant kinda way . . . I said - this guy has it.

I see similar things in Tom Herman & the Western Michigan dude . . . time to quit rehashing these same ol' guys and get the new blood in there.

Just my 2 cents worth . . . I certainly do not miss the endless posts of chas tom and razz and many others who have been proven to be flat out, undeniably, COMPLETELY wrong.

Wonder if they have learned anything about judging & patience & the like . . . . probably not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I forgot about Charleston Tom...what an insufferable lowlife

Jan 12, 2017, 9:39 AM

I bet that dude somehow found a way to be negative even on Monday night.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He deserves a 2nd chance but I bet he is the same miserable

Jan 12, 2017, 9:54 AM

dude as always.

I sat in 207 - Row U - and there was a father & adult son behind me - in Row V - and I SWEAR - that father was the most miserable Clemson fan I have ever heard.

Sitting in GREAT seats at the Natty - where we had been for 2 years in a row - and he is moaning and unhappy about EVERYTHING . . . . the pop-up kickoffs, the rugby style punts (both of which I thought were GREAT answers to help minimize the chances of last year's problems repeating) - the playcalling - the defense - the offense . . .

MISERABLE.

At one point his son said - "You are impossible to sit next to at a game" and I turned around and said "And impossible to sit in front of as well" . . . he laughed and went right back to the crap.

Of course when the 'bamer scored with 2 mins to go . . . he had told us all along we didn't stand a chance with all this crappy stuff we were doing . . .

And then as we started driving he started saying "this is unbelievable - UNBELIEVABLE" . . . and "nobody coulda seen this coming" . . . . and then started celebrating like the rest of us.

Dear God - please do not let me go through life at ANY point with as negative a slant viewpoint towards ANYTHING as that dude . . . and chas Tom . . . . and Razz . . . . Amen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Rocky that is the biggest risk in attending away games.

Jan 12, 2017, 12:09 PM

Seats next to miserable people wanting to make everyone else miserable. They think people really care what they think and wind up making themselves look stupid. They complain about everything and if complaints turn out right they give the "I told you so" but if not then they get to celebrate like everybody else. One consolation is you don't have him as a neighbor!!

Amen to that - VERY thankful ! ! !***

Jan 12, 2017, 12:37 PM

Re: Lets be perfectly honest here. Not many people were

Jan 12, 2017, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Lets be perfectly honest here. Not many people were ]

> genuinely excited about the Dabo hire. The opinions
> of the hire on Tigernet ranged from "ok with it" to
> completely outraged. It definitely seemed like a
> reach by TDP.
>
> Obviously it has worked out brilliantly, but back in
> 2008 nobody had the benefit of knowing what has
> unfolded in the 8 full seasons that Dabo has been HC.
Not so fast my friend . I was calling to give Dabo a chance way back in 2006 after years of listening to Bowden's excuse making . I'd seen and heard enough to think Dabo could do much better .

Wrong. Those were your thoughts but there were way more

Jan 12, 2017, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Lets be perfectly honest here. Not many people were ]

excited about the hire of Dabo than the ones saying "he has never been a coordinator". We had seen his recruiting, coaching and personable manner and thought he would be a good fit. Also many didn't like the AD and disapproved of any decision he made. Dabo had a vision and Clemson nation is now reaping the benefits of his hiring. The best is yet to come.

I disagree vehemently.... stop speaking for others....

Jan 12, 2017, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Lets be perfectly honest here. Not many people were ]

those that were attuned to Leadership capability

and not the pure results of W's & L's

have always felt Dabo was a great, great hire.

Oh wait a minute - now I see what you did -

MOST people don't have capability to judge Leadership

and can't see beyond the black & white,

and so MOST people rely purely on things like W's & L's,

and previous position status, and previous school/division, etc., vomit, vomit,

to judge how coaching hires should be.

Good thing Terry Don wasn't handicapped in that fashion as MOST people are...

How do you like our

Jan 12, 2017, 9:00 AM

Insurance, cheerleader now!

Does anyone rememember the video of the

Jan 12, 2017, 9:08 AM

coot singing "Da-bo". I was shown it several times accompanied with great laughter from their fans. Even remarking that they hope we keep Dabo for a long time. Hmm...

I pay no less and no more attention to sports talking heads

Jan 12, 2017, 10:56 AM

than I do to political ones on cable news. And that's zero.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to see he has not gotten any more ignorant. He was

Jan 12, 2017, 11:41 AM

ignorant back then as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 12, 2017, 11:47 AM

Wow, if I wrote that I would be doing my best to make it disappear from the Internet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2017, 12:22 PM

Apparently the article warranted a D- for Pat Forde, since he now writes for Yahoo! I wonder if he'd like to send Dabo an autographed copy of the article!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol, it's also interesting how Bama's defense was graded...

Jan 12, 2017, 12:11 PM

by this season:

Is Alabama the best defense ever? http://gridironnow.com/alabama-defense-best-ever/

Clemson stats:

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/125493/if-alabamas-defense-wants-to-be-the-best-ever-it-must-stop-deshaun-watson

I reckon they ain't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow! anyone dissing Bill Snyder at K-State,

Jan 12, 2017, 12:14 PM

no matter what the age,

is a true and literal nincompoop.

consider the source. Most outside of

Jan 12, 2017, 12:47 PM

Our football program had no idea who Dabo was back then.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 2,348
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic