Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ND Fan and I come in peace!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 77
| visibility 1

ND Fan and I come in peace!

Dec 2, 2018, 10:44 PM

I just wanted to start a thread and introduce myself as one of the more sane ND fans out there. Ya'll have a great football team and I honestly don't expect to win this game. Anyways, I just wanted to extend as a resource to answer any X's and O's/player personnel questions about ND's team as a die hard fan. My family had been linked back to ND for about 70 years and I've lived and breathed ND football my whole life. I'm looking forward to learning more about Clemson's team as we move closer to the playoff game!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND Fan and I come in peace!

Dec 2, 2018, 10:46 PM

That's what they all say...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 10:47 PM

Looking forward to the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Fun time of year!

Dec 2, 2018, 10:49 PM

Looking forward to it.

Re: Fun time of year!

Dec 2, 2018, 10:51 PM

I haven't been able to watch a ton of Clemson this year, but what I've seen has been pretty impressive. Is there anything as Clemson fans you guys think is the weakest part of your team?

Dec 2, 2018, 10:53 PM

I asked you first

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 2, 2018, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

Punting. Other than that, we’re pretty good.

Dec 2, 2018, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

Any Clemson fan that is not at least a little worried about the defensive secondary is not paying attention.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

you should run the ball...our defensive front is suspect.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 12:09 AM

If we can pass the ball, then maybe that will happen. Our OL isn't good enough though to just line up and smash a team.

Unless it’s raining

Dec 3, 2018, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

And then we can’t hold on and tackle one on one and our ends and backers have a tough time changing direction.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

Hopefully we want have to punt in that game because you will have a big advantage in that department.....:Go Tigers!!!!!!

Dec 3, 2018, 6:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

slants and the four bunch formation we struggle to align properly for that bunch

punting, secondary***

Dec 3, 2018, 7:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

yeah Our 3rd down guy tires rather quickly, we tried to recruit the guy at USCeast but lost that recruiting battle. It hurts us in the later rounds!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

weakest link #1 punting #2 secondary***

Dec 3, 2018, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun time of year! ]

Dec 2, 2018, 10:50 PM

Are you an alum?
It's important.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 2, 2018, 11:19 PM

Myself, no. My family has been going to ND for generations. My grandfather originally went to ND in the 40's when the Navy was trying to train more officers in anticipation of all the ones they would lose trying to invade Japan. So, more or less, Navy sent a bunch of their prospective officers to ND to go to school. He ended up finishing his mechanical engineering degree at ND after the war had ended, so he was free to go and work after his service. From there, 2 of my uncles and my father went to ND. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone to ND. I had the grades, SAT score, and the legacy to get in, but I was too rebellious to give a crap and held off submitting my application until after the deadline. In retrospect, I was too immature at the time to be successful at ND, so I would have probably been dismissed for crap academic performance. However, I matured, grew up, got some leeway at the university I attended (Xavier University, known for its basketball program and its business school), and ended up fine.

Dec 3, 2018, 7:26 AM

You would love talking with Joe then because he is our historian

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Thanks for reaching out.

null

1st question, when are y'all gonna quit being so stuck up and join the ACC?

Dec 2, 2018, 10:57 PM

When they run out of Watch Party duck crepes and sushi. No, they aren't pretentious one bit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 2, 2018, 11:24 PM

I hear that sentiment a lot, but if you look at it from a purely business standpoint, ND has no reason to join a conference. We worked ourselves in the position to be a partial ACC member, we have our own TV deal with a major network, all revenue goes straight to the school (and not to a conference), and we made the playoffs without a conference championship. If you were in our shoes, I doubt you'd want to change that setup. If ND would have been left out of the playoffs this year though, that probably would force us to join a conference.

Dec 3, 2018, 8:13 AM

I completely understand that decision - there isn't a business case for joining the ACC right now. I was hoping y'all would miss the playoffs so that business case might turn positive.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: ND Fan and I come in peace! ]

While you made the playoffs, it requires you go undefeated to do so. I think that will eventually force the hand of ND along with NBC not willing to be so generous when that TV contract runs out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What'a your (and your friends') score predicitons?***

Re: What'a your (and your friends') score predicitons?***

Dec 2, 2018, 11:53 PM

31-24 Clemson is mine with ND coming back to score a TD late after Clemson is up two TD's. If you ask the rest of ND's fanbase, it'll range from 42-21 ND to 52-21 Clemson, like any fanbase would.

42-21 sounds about right.

Dec 3, 2018, 7:11 AM

And I'll take it.

What is your team's weakness(es)? Asking for a friend.

null

Dec 2, 2018, 10:58 PM

Our biggest weakness is that fact that we aren't super athletic like the elite teams. As an example, if Clemson and Bama have athletes that rank 10/10, we roll with like a 8/10. The team is solid all around, but I don't think there's any part of our team that you can classify as elite. ND plays solid, disciplined football, but I don't think we have and individual stud playmaker to point to and say, "This is the guy!" As a personal observation, I also think we don't come out fired up like a lot of teams do. I like Brian Kelly, but his approach to the team is something like "we approach every game the same and have a business like approach week after week." I'd like to see the boys come out on absolutely on fire and pissed off, but it's been too far and in between for my liking.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:45 PM

This seems like a pretty fair assessment. To say ND doesn't have any 10/10 guys would be disingenuous on your side and hubris on our side, but Clemson probably has a few more of those stud athletes particularly at the offensive skill positions.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:07 AM

We do have a couple of them. Elite athletes that stand out for ND mostly come on the defensive side. I'd consider LB Tevon Coney, LB Drue Tranquill, CB Julian Love, RB Dexter Williams, DE Khalid Kareem, and DT Jerry Tillery as elite athletes for ND. Outside of that, we have a bunch of great athletes, but not so much across the board as Clemson does.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: ND Fan and I come in peace! ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 10:52 PM

nice to hear from you. I cannot wish you success, but I do wish you well.

Do you know Tim Bourret?

You ain't worth talking g to if you don't.

Answer wisely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

When should we start taking a knee in order to let you guys back into the game?

Welcome 5175!

Dec 2, 2018, 10:55 PM

Sure most around Clemson respect ND fb & its fabulous history..plus meeting 3 times (2–1 TiGS) with 1 close loss to JoeM at Clemson in 1977? which I saw..and where he may have 1st met Dwight Clark b/4 SF.

In 1979 my 9 yr old Son & I drove up to Souh Bend from SC for the 2nd match-up and we won..plus enjoyed running into Coach Danny Ford & Team day b/4 game and thus were invited to do the field-stadium walk-thru with the Tigers..

and we later watched the equipment mgrs spray paint the helmets a fresh coat of Gold paint after their Friday afternoon practice. Neat!

Today my Clemson/UGa-Law Grad Son is 48 & still remembers the great trip (for him in the back storage area of a new Toyota hatchback) as well as waving our 3’ x 5’ Orange Flag with huge white PAW..which couple Domer male students tried to steal.

Good luck & it’s gonna be a good one between 2 really quality & talented teams.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 10:57 PM

### bo. Come over here with some salt in your pants. We are going to win, but talk some trash!

Dec 2, 2018, 11:00 PM

Dude, I would, but you have to understand the mental state of an ND fan in his late 20's. You hear all about Nd's glory days of past. Then, once in a blue moon, you have a team that makes a run. Then they go to bowl game and get the living #### kicked out of them. Maybe the guys that are 65 years old and remember all the sweet time can be positive. I just live in the reality that ND's biggest bowl win in the last 15 years was against LSU.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:03 PM

Dude just given you the business. Hope we have a great game and no one gets hurt. Go Tigers!

Dec 2, 2018, 11:11 PM

Hey. 37 year Tiger Fan here. I like our balanced offense vs ND Defense. I also like our D to stuff the run and apply tremendous pressure on the QB to make quick and/or accurate passes. What do you think ND will do to move the ball? I’m thinking you’ll want to stay balanced, but we’ll be looking to take the run away. Plenty of long time Tigers on here.

Question - can your punter boot it 70 yds? We seem to repeatedly face a Superman version of a Ray Guy reincarnation.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:41 PM

If ND moves the ball effectively, its going to be because of a couple of reasons:

1. We're able to throw the short passes and move up the field as an extension of our running game. Our offensive line isn't good enough to line up and pound the ball down someone's throat. Instead we use RPO's to give our QB Ian Book (who has a wicked high football IQ) the ability to make a good read and have a positive play. If we can't force Clemson to respect our receivers out wide, then y'all will load the box and kill our running game.

2. We got some good players at wide receiver. Our two biggest downfield WR's run at 6'4" and about 230 respectively. If we can get some downfield 50/50 balls and some back shoulder throws, we can spread Clemson out and move the ball. We also have a smaller guy named Chris Finke at wide out that is a clutch player. He's only 5'10", but he fights every play. Think of the receivers the Patriots have put out in recent years. He's just a tough kid (former walk on) that makes clutch plays.

3. And as referenced before, ND's running game. If we're able to do the two things above, we can get players out of the box and spread out the defense. From there, we have a game changing back in Dexter Williams. Chip Long (our OC) has seem content to use a 3 back rotation in the first half. Then, when a team is worn down and our passing game is effective, we unleash Dexter for big runs in the second half when he's fresh. He's got elite burst and speed, so if he gets a hole against a tired defense, he's gone. Off the top of my head, he's had about 6 runs for 30+ yard touchdowns this year, and almost all of them have come in the second half.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:35 AM

I’ll see your Chris Finke and raise with our Hunter Renfrow ...

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/11/27/clemson-hunter-renfrow-catch-hands-nfl/1687039002/

Dec 3, 2018, 12:40 AM

More on Hunter

http://grnol.co/2pjg80k

Dec 3, 2018, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Re: ND Fan and I come in peace! ]

More on Hunter

http://grnol.co/2pjg80k

Dec 3, 2018, 12:45 AM [ in reply to Re: ND Fan and I come in peace! ]

Exactly. Finke is a poor man's Renfrow. But I love him because he's just such a scrappy dude. He was a walk on we got as a package deal when we recruited his high QB Malik Zaire.He earned his scholarship 2 years ago and has been our go to guy on short yardage downs in the passing game. Against Michigan, he went up in double coverage and took the ball away from 2 Michigan defenders on a 50 yard TD reception. But if you ask Michigan fans, some random white guy just made a play and they would had won the game 99-0 if the actual game wasn't played.

Dec 3, 2018, 7:10 AM

"But if you ask Michigan fans, some random white guy just made a play and they would had won the game 99-0 if the actual game wasn't played. " nice one !

Were you one of the ND fans that came to Death Valley...

Dec 2, 2018, 11:11 PM

...the last time the two teams played?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since many of us are saving the money for Santa Clara...

Dec 2, 2018, 11:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since many of us are saving the money for Santa Clara...

Dec 2, 2018, 11:43 PM

Let me raise you one playa:

The nerve meds and Yoga are working, I see.***

Dec 2, 2018, 11:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The nerve meds and Yoga are working, I see.***

Dec 3, 2018, 12:01 AM

I always love posting that pic. It shows how far Kelly has come being our coach. In his first couple of years, he was absolutely convinced that it was his way or the high way. But after getting his face caved in at 4-8 a couple of years ago, he completely tossed ego to the side. He had meetings with all of our players about what he could do to help our guys. Our AD forced him to fire his buddies (Kelly had a nasty habit of only hiring guys he has worked with personally before), and hire the some of the best people available in the country. Hence why we picked Chip Long (our OC) and Mike Elko (our previous DC) 2 years ago. He also fired our S&C coach that he had worked with for the last 10-20 years (it was his best friend), and picked up the S&C coach out of IMG academy in FL. All of the moves have paid off, but Kelly hiring Matt Balis as the S&C coach paid dividends immediately. And when that shitlord Elko took a lateral move to take the DC job at Texas A&M, we hired his protege Clark Lea to be our DC.

Thanks for Reaching Out

Dec 3, 2018, 12:12 AM

Notre Dame is college football. A lot of history. How is Clemson perceived by Irish Nation.

Re: Thanks for Reaching Out

Dec 3, 2018, 12:26 AM

Respected. An elite program with good history. No NCAA violations and a program that seems to run pretty clean. Mostly everyone in ND nation absolutely loves Dabo. Hell, I watched his interview today on the CFP show and I was geeking. To be frank, most ND fans don't hate other teams. We just hate our rivals because of their asshat fans. For example, Michigan fans are absolutely terrible. They continue to think that Harbaugh is a god, but then get cucked to the tune of 62 points against OSU. Their fans earn a special place on our #### list because as this season went longer, they kept pretending that the ND game didn't happen. And as a recent flavor, Virginia Tech. I went over to their boards and all I got as "ENTER SANDMAN!!! ND IS OVERRATED FORRRREVERRRR!" kind of crap. Then we pistol whipped them into oblivion and they went on to have their #### season.

Smart Posts NDfan5175

Dec 3, 2018, 12:51 AM

I expect most Tiger fans know just a little about 2018 ND team but will school up over next few weeks. We remember the tough 2015 game against the Irish when ND team brought it with a lot of yards gained, but had 4 turnovers. Clemson fans now pull hard for talented Will Fuller playing with the GOAT (Deshaun Watson) in Houston.

My current thoughts are from a pure talent perspective, Clemson could overwhelm ND if things roll our way and snowball on the Irish -- but ND could compete and win a close one if big ND receivers can catch some intermediate balls and get some PI calls, and ND Defense can athletically compete against run and pass. A couple of questions: Is ND Defense better against the run or the pass? Can ND QB run the ball?

You know what they say ... good luck but not too good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Smart Posts NDfan5175

Dec 3, 2018, 1:10 AM

Completely agree. Clemson needs to bring it's B game and ND needs to bring it's A game for ND to win. In regards to the defense, it's pretty stout either way. We have enough talent on the DL to switch out players situational on pass vs. run downs and stay fresh. Our secondary is pretty #### good. CB Julian Love is an AA and a potential first round pick. S Alohi Gilman is a high IQ guy who uses his instincts in both the run and pass game to make plays. Our other CB Troy Pride, S Jalen Elliott, and nickel Nick Coleman are all extremely solid players that can tackle well and defend in space.

In regards to the running defense, it's very effective if we have the right amount of people in the box. We struggled a bit in the first half run defense against Syracuse when they had 5 wide and we only had 1 LB in the box. When you spread ND out wide and ND has to rely on our interior line winning one on one matchups, its a little sketchy. DT Jerry Tillery is an absolute stud on pass or run, but our other DT Jonathan Bonner can get swallowed up at times. Our DE's Khalid Kareem and DE Julian Okwara have their moments of being stout against the run, but it can come and go. However, We have enough depth on the DL that we switch out depending on down/distance and have great success. But, a team can create some positive running lanes if they run up tempo and we can't sub out for different situations.

Re: Smart Posts NDfan5175

Dec 3, 2018, 1:14 AM [ in reply to Smart Posts NDfan5175 ]

Saw the second part of your question just now. I posted a bit about it above in a response to someone else. Long story short, yes if our passing game opens up the run game. No if we're forced to put helmet on helmet and pound the ball.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:46 AM

Is this Rudy?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 12:48 AM

Yes, I am Sean Astin himself. Y'all catch me in Stranger Things? I was pretty amazing.

Dec 3, 2018, 2:36 AM

TS appears to be employing a karma counter or indirect karma building

Dec 3, 2018, 2:45 AM

Read: Under the Tarnished Dome-for any cfb fan, especially those who follow Recruiting

Dec 3, 2018, 5:13 AM

During the filming of 50 first dates, did you actually make it with that dude from Sea World???? Just curious.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 6:03 AM

The most important question is did you go to the Garth concert?

Should be a great game!***

Dec 3, 2018, 6:38 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 6:44 AM

It should be a great game and huge TV audience. Good luck!

Do you still blame it on the rain?***

Dec 3, 2018, 7:24 AM

Dec 3, 2018, 7:47 AM

How’s your TE play (especially over the middle)? Asking for a friend...

Dec 3, 2018, 11:09 AM

Our tight end play is pretty good, but a bit under utilized in my opinion. We'll try to get the ball to our Alize Mack on 4 yard out routes and see if he can do anything with it. If we can run the ball well, we can get a few chunk plays down the field to Mack. Weishar, Mack, and Kmet are all big hombres as they're all 6'5" or taller. Mack is by far the most productive out of the trio and is very athletic with soft hands. Hes an average blocker though. And Weishar has only had 2 catches the whole year, but both were red zone touchdowns.

I don't care if

Dec 3, 2018, 8:05 AM

the Father, Son, AND Holy Spirit pick Notre Dame.

I'm taking Clemson.

There are a few weaknesses that really good units can exploit

Dec 3, 2018, 8:10 AM

Our offensive line is really good, both at pass and run blocking, but has not been dominant in run blocking against good d lines. At times this season we've had to throw the ball to score. At QB, TL has had a tendency to hold the ball too long but this has greatly improved over the course of the year. We also lack a productive receiving tight end, but the receiver talent offsets this. On defense, BV tends to be very aggressive on 3rd down which can open up opportunities for big plays. The saftes aren't great in holding coverage on deep plays (but the QB rarely has time to get one off). The only chance you have is to hit some chunk plays and force TL into bad decisions. You're going to need about 40 pts, a great defensive effort, and turnovers. If the game is tight at the end, our kicking game is inconsistent and would favor ND. This is the only path.

Dec 3, 2018, 10:52 AM

NDfan5175 --- Good to see someone from another school visit our board and offer interesting dialogue. Regret some of our fans have chosen to give you a TD. Fortunately, I've been able to attend every Clemson/ND battle. In '79, we went with a group to the game in South Bend, Flew into Chicago and then a bus to South Bend. ND fans were great and welcoming. When the game was over and we returned to our bus, most of the group were sporting ND gear. They were not purchased, they were swapped items with ND fans. Two of my great nieces are huge ND fans since both are graduates of St. Marys.

On a side note. I am a 97 year old senior citizen. Do you have any "elderly" posters on your board?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 11:22 AM

Good to hear you had a great time at ND! Most ND fans are good hosts if any of the rest of you want to make a trip up north in the future. And yes we do! I post on irishenvy.com and theres quite a few older gents. Same goes for irishsportsdaily.com, but that's a paid subscription site. Theres also quite a few older posters on ndnation.com, but dont go there. It's the armpit of ND fans. They're illogical at best, and racist garbage at the worst. Stick to the other two and you'll have some good conversations.

Our only true weakness is

Dec 3, 2018, 11:31 AM

our QB. He is not mentally tough and has girlfriend problems.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our punter is not good or bad.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:44 AM

If your team can force us to punt the ball at around 25 yard, the result is like you win the lottery.

How is your punter?

Re: Our punter is not good or bad.

Dec 3, 2018, 1:03 PM

Too inconsistent for my liking. He averages 45 yards a punt. He can boom a 55 yarder down the field, but can have a bad 40 yarder every once in a while. Hes also one of our captains, so that's a thing.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:47 AM

Weakness - Our kicker gets tired after too many kickoffs and cant put it into the endzone by the 4th quarter.

Dec 3, 2018, 1:13 PM

I wish we had a running game and defensive front.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 77
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic