Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Once again, I see why SEC teams dominate the ESPN recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Once again, I see why SEC teams dominate the ESPN recruiting

May 7, 2019, 6:25 AM

rankings. There can be no better evidence than the fact that the top player at the most important position on the field, IS RANKED #50.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Once again, I see why SEC teams dominate the ESPN recruiting

May 7, 2019, 6:35 AM

And yet others deny that. Their agenda is blatantly obvious

May 7, 2019, 6:44 AM

That's lauaghable.

It's laughable that people deny it

May 7, 2019, 7:14 AM

Which is why we make fun of it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: It's laughable that people deny it

May 7, 2019, 7:18 AM

You probably believe in Big Foot.

I believe it is possible until I see absolute

May 7, 2019, 7:38 AM

HiEvidence proving one way or the other.

It is laughable that you don't think these rankings are manipulated to generate money.

Espn is about making money, especially when Disney started running the show. If you want to make money on college football toy go south. Tru as he may, Stafford wil never get pittstonians ...and new Yorkers to buy into college sports. Those are all professional sport states.

Tom Brady can stub his toe ...and 5million bostanians wil call in sick. If BC wins an acc football title 6 people will be parting down town.

ESPN manipulates these rankings so they can justify putting 16 SEC teams I the top 10 preseason. "Yeah, Tennessee has ducked for 15 years but they got the #6 recruiting class so they are good. "

No1 wants to see Tennessee play Missouri.. but people will want to watch #6 Tennessee play #10 Missouri ..

It's all bout the money, ain't a dang thing funny... except making fun of it.

In the end it doesn't matter. The cfp rea has been bama, clemson, and oklahoma. If you aren't 1 of those you are trying to be, regardless of stars and rankings and polls and call in shows and bubble gum.

Message was edited by: GeeVille Tiger

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I believe it is possible until I see absolute

May 7, 2019, 7:43 AM

What a joke. Maybe they are just being straightforward. You know what is really ironic. The SEC dominates the recruit rankings generally and they put by far the most people in the NFL. This conspiracy runs deep.

Disney...straight forward?

May 7, 2019, 8:16 AM

There is no secret why ESPN had an hr long special with their sports people the week before The Force Awakens came out.

But it's cool.. I'll keep believing the "conspiracy" that Disney is a business dedicated to making money. You can believe they care about the truth.

Message was edited by: GeeVille Tiger

Re: Disney...straight forward?

May 7, 2019, 8:25 AM

Youre delusional. The SEC doesn't need help with ratings and ESPN also owns the ACC network.

And who does ESPN hype up big time during college

May 7, 2019, 8:48 AM

basketball season? Duke and UNC?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: And who does ESPN hype up big time during college

May 7, 2019, 8:54 AM

Exactly

No, I don't think you get it

May 7, 2019, 9:11 AM

ESPN hypes up the SEC during football season to make more money. They hype up the ACC during basketball season to make more money.

It's not a conspiracy as you put it, it's a business.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: No, I don't think you get it

May 6, 2016, 4:26 PM

Yep. I agree. I don't think it goes all the way down to recuiting rankings, considering the SEC does turn out the most players to the NFL. The SEC generally gets the better players overall.

Disney...straight forward?

May 7, 2019, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Re: I believe it is possible until I see absolute ]

There is no secret why ESPN had an hr long special with their sports people the week before The Force Awakens came out.

But it's cool.. I'll keep believing Disney is a business. You can believe they care about the truth more than money.

I'm having a tough time figuring out what you're

May 7, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: I believe it is possible until I see absolute ]

disputing here. Are you disputing the opinion that ESPN will try to sway rankings to promote matchups and make more money?

Do you think AP poll voters or coaches poll voters are more likely to watch all the games or just watch highlights and check scores of all the games? If ESPN can control the content, and voters rely on their content, what's the result?

Then look at recruiting rankings.

Last year Trevor Lawrence was the number one recruit, with multiple recruiting experts saying he's the best QB prospect they've ever seen. Who did ESPN have as their #1 and where did he go to school?

This year compare 247 composite rankings to ESPN's top 300 and tell me what trends you see, what are the differences? In the 247 composite rankings you have to go all the way to #10 before you see a kid who is likely to go to an SEC school (Arik Gilbert - UGA). ESPN you only have to go to #5 (Chris Braswell - Bama). Btw, in 247 Braswell is 12.

Look at team rankings:

247 - 3 ACC schools in the top 5 (#1 Clemson, #4 Miami, #5 FSU) and 2 SEC schools (#2 LSU, #3 Bama)
ESPN - 3 SEC schools in the top 5 (#1 Bama, #3 LSU, #4 Florida) and 2 ACC schools (#2 Clemson, #5 Miami)

Yes, we're talking about some subtle differences, but what story do you think ESPN would like to promote more, Bama with the #1 recruiting class again, or Bama with the #3 recruiting class? Just follow the money.

Re: I'm having a tough time figuring out what you're

May 7, 2019, 9:30 AM

ESPN has 3 ACC teams in the top 6 though, and 247 has 3 SEC teams in the top 6 so it's really not all that different. Last year the SEC had 4 out of the top 5, and 7 out of the top 12 in the final 247 team rankings.

Re: I'm having a tough time figuring out what you're

May 7, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to I'm having a tough time figuring out what you're ]

Question for peeps that think they manipulate rankings to favor a conference. Why don't they always sway recruits rankings in basketball too? You look at the 2019 recruits and the number 1 player is going to Memphis.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2019/order/true

Yeah, you're missing the point and not answering the

May 7, 2019, 10:51 AM

questions. In football, their #1 recruit will probably go to Texas so I'm not sure what your point is.

May 7, 2019, 7:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Once again, I see why SEC teams dominate the ESPN recruiting ]

Get a grip. What agenda would they be serving by making our class drop a spot or two? These people aren’t thinking about Clemson when they rank players? They’re just doing their job.

May 7, 2019, 6:43 AM

Maybe it's because it's not a strong year for QB's. In 2018 their top 2 players were QB's. Fields and TL. We had 3 of their top 6 players out of the ESPN 300. In 2019 their top QB Mertz was ranked 21 overall.

Sure. And Fields jumped up over a hundred spots in about 2

May 7, 2019, 6:56 AM

months to replace TL, after TL picked CU, but not until Fields dropped FSU and picked UGA, TO BE THE #1 player on the board.

Re: Sure. And Fields jumped up over a hundred spots in about 2

May 7, 2019, 7:04 AM

1 or 2. Who cares? Also, Fields never went up 100 spots. He was always ranked near the top. Anyway, this is not considered a strong qb class. When TL was there it was. Hence the 50th overall ranking for DJ. Hence the 2 ranking overall for TL. Nobody is out to get Clemson.

They aren't "out to get Clemson", they are out to boost the SEC!

May 7, 2019, 7:35 AM

Recruits committed to SEC schools get bumped ahead of those committed to other conferences. If not, how do you explain the SEC schools signing double the 4 & 5 star recruits over the past five years, than any other conference, yet have a losing record against the other power 5 conferences, over that time! I guess it must be poor coaching on their part!

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They aren't

May 7, 2019, 7:41 AM

Ummm...because the SEC signs better talent overall and that's why they put way more guys in the NFL than any other conference. Also, why wouldn't they want to boost their new ACC network? It's not as if the SEC needs help. The whole topic is silly.

Re: They aren't "out to get Clemson", they are out to boost the SEC!

May 7, 2019, 7:56 AM [ in reply to They aren't "out to get Clemson", they are out to boost the SEC! ]

It's pretty easy to explain considering the SEC doesn't have a losing record against P5 teams over the past 5 years...

May 7, 2019, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Once again, I see why SEC teams dominate the ESPN recruiting ]

I don't think that it is a conspiracy but the way ESPN figures things makes you scratch your head. DJ is 1 per Rivals and 13 per 247. ESPN also considers us as the 3rd best team over the last 5 years behind Alabama and O310 St. They won't release what algorithm they use and often they come up with very screwy results. LSU still had around a 4% chance of making the playoffs going into the last week of the season last year.

It is not all Clemson or ACC though. My friend's son plays DT for Oregon and was ranked in the 150-200 range by other services but ESPN had him listed as an OG, a position that he never played and nobody recruited him as, and ESPN never rated him.

Who is the most important player on our team

May 7, 2019, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Once again, I see why SEC teams dominate the ESPN recruiting ]

Who was the most important last year and the year before and the year before. I'll take a 5 star QB over a 5 star anything else any day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just the fact Espin put Fields ahead of TL, after Fields

May 7, 2019, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Once again, I see why SEC teams dominate the ESPN recruiting ]

committed to UGA and many analysts said TL was the best QB prospect they had seen in 20 years, shows they are biased towards SEC recruits!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, but...

May 7, 2019, 7:09 AM

I've long ago come to accept that ESPN was biased towards the SEC. They own the conference and benefit financially from its success.

However, we, as a fanbase, have never really cared about "Preseason Recruiting National Championships." Those bragging rights are laughable and belong to the UGAs of the world. Clemson has obviously done a tremendous job of identifying great players of character and developing them into world class athletes. How else could you explain beating Alabama by 28 (could have easily been 35 if not for Dabo being merciful)?

So, don't let your blood pressure rise too high when reading ESPN opinions. Just get a chuckle, shake your head and laugh all the louder when the product on the field doesn't correlate with their rankings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree, but...

May 7, 2019, 7:15 AM

ESPN owns the ACC network and the SEC network.

Re: I agree, but...well thats ole Swoff

May 7, 2019, 7:19 AM

takes for ever to start the ACC Network then fall right in line with those who shill for the SEC. well he got the conference a bowl in Boston though. what a guy

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2019, 7:17 AM

Haha this is too funny. Yes, ESPN has an agenda 100% and that is to promote the SEC network and completely ignore the brand new ACC network...

CMON man you can't really believe that?

No - ESPN is not ranking SEC recruits higher than other recruits in order to support their narratives

No - ESPN is not talking about our weak schedule (yes, it is weak) in May in order to set the tone of 11-1 Clemson missing the playoffs and 2 SEC teams getting in

May 7, 2019, 7:20 AM

Moreover, they own the ACC network as well.

May 7, 2019, 7:31 AM

haha exactly my point. I agree with poster above too, that why does it even matter? We would be making fun of Scar if they were pumping their chest for having #1 recruiting class.

How many championships have been won in May? How many 5 stars have been busts? Non of this matters in the big picture. On field results matter and our coaching staff has proven time and time again they know how to evaluate and develop talent. Thankfully they weren't turned off by DJ when they saw he was only ranked #50 on ESPN's boards..

May 7, 2019, 8:07 AM

If their goal with the rankings is to have the SEC teams rank high then why not pick a QB that's likely to choose the SEC and rank him higher?

If it's ESPN that's responsible for the SEC teams dominating the recruiting rankings then how did the SEC have 4 of the top 5, and 7 out of the top 12 teams in the 247 rankings last year?

May 7, 2019, 8:27 AM

Exactly. Pretty funny.

I just looked. They did.

Message was edited by: Carlsbad®

May 7, 2019, 8:12 AM

There are a ton of defensively linemen clogging up the rankings this year, as well as skill players . I do not think I have ever seen the top QB in their rankings that far down the list. Still, a top 50 players is pretty darn impressive, Bowden only signed a few his entire career here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN dont play on Saturdays. Just win, and the agenda

May 7, 2019, 8:20 AM

is You

Best Is The Standard

They have another QB ahead of DJ, a dual-threat guy

May 7, 2019, 8:23 AM

He's at #19, I think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They have another QB ahead of DJ, a dual-threat guy

May 7, 2019, 8:34 AM

Haynes King. Supposedly going to LSU. Rivals has him ranked as a 3 star and 72nd player in the state of Texas. 247 has him as a 4 star and ranked the 2nd ranked dual amd 109th overall.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic