Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Georgia Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

TNET: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Georgia Tech

Aug 30, 2019, 4:06 PM

Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Georgia Tech

How did the new-look Clemson defensive line hold up? What area of the game stood out most for the Tigers? Assessing week one with key takeaways and game grades. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No A for special teams

Aug 30, 2019, 5:24 PM

Kendrick clearly made a poor decision to fair catch a low punt towards the end of half. That was his moement right there. And Dabo let him have it for this, too. He had about five good yards in front of him of clear space when he caught that. Must take opps while you have them, no tomorrow. In fact, after this, I believe this is when we had a poor series, went backwards, and TL threw the int before half. Which was a poor coaching decision to have him passing from third and long backed up to his 30 with time running out.

Special teams: B+

Re: No A for special teams

Aug 30, 2019, 8:00 PM

Solid coverage, good punting, booming kickoffs, 7 for 7 on xps and a 51 yard field goal. Not to mention recovering a muffed punt and a sold return on the opening kickoff. I'll take this kind of performance every game.

Aug 30, 2019, 8:00 PM

Solid return.

Aug 31, 2019, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: No A for special teams ]

I agree with you, I'm all for giving what IMO the special teams deserves, and for me that is an A- bc, I don't think they should be dropped down to a B+ just bc of one indecision play by a true Sophomore as Kendrick. I'll take the way our special team players played Thursday night all season long in every game. But that was against GT, and there will be other chances to pin below an A grade on the special teams as the weeks pass, so I'm giving them a A- for Thursday night!!! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree, this was an A for ST

Aug 30, 2019, 8:36 PM [ in reply to No A for special teams ]

Granted, I'm viewing this from an historical perspective... but our special teams were outstanding last night. Booming kicks, turnovers (!!!) and record-tying FGs. Yes please. More of that please.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2019, 9:15 PM [ in reply to No A for special teams ]

Downgrading for one fair catch that saved time versus returning the punt. That's pretty tough grading.

Then to complain about an interception on a bell that would not have been thrown in a different situation. TL knew he had nothing to lose and everything to gain by letting it fly. The only thing that interception hurt was his stat line, which I doubt he cared about.

Aug 31, 2019, 11:58 AM

I agree with all with the exception that TL didn't care about the the int being in his stats bc I believe that he does care, and if he don't care, maybe we should play Chase Brice as our starting QB bc good/great QB's hate throwing INT's!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe that kept speclal teams from being A plus

Aug 30, 2019, 9:49 PM [ in reply to No A for special teams ]

But they were clearly worthy of an A grade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 3-4

Aug 30, 2019, 8:34 PM

I don't know if this is obvious or not... but, Venables threw some formations out there in the first few series that are definitely not traditional Clemson formations. He did it (obviously) because the expectation was that GT would run new formations and spread the field (they didn't).

He called one helluva game. Once he figured out what they were trying to do, we feasted.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The 3-4

Aug 31, 2019, 9:51 AM

Yep, I did a double take when they started off in that 3-man front. Don't think you'll see a lot more of that! On ST - agree, don't take the "A" away because of one missing return on a FC called by the returner - ask GT, three are things worse than MAKING a fair catch!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Respect for Simmons

Aug 31, 2019, 10:26 AM

Your summary and grades are great and all, but you seem to have made an omission, failing to mention at all in this piece the number one star of the defense - Mr. Isaiah Simmons. You did list him as your defensive player of the game in your game's instant analysis, which is an obvious no-brainer, though it was a fairly terse statement that highlighted the fact that he made 10 tackles, FIVE SOLOS.

Would it be outlandish to suggest that Simmons is the heart, brains and balls of this defense?
Just incredible instincts. Knows how to instantly read a backfield, quickly break on the play and out-leverage his opponent. He is the prototypical disrupter.

Of course he made it look easy against GATECH, but going forward opponents will have to keep the play away from him.

We're so lucky to have him, so I'm sure people new to Clemson FB would appreciate it if you highlighted our best defensive player in every article you write for the remainder of the season. It's called showing some respect.

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed your content.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic