Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's lunacy Brad is 29th in coaching salaries...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

It's lunacy Brad is 29th in coaching salaries...

Apr 3, 2019, 9:36 PM

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

What does this say what we are paying for?

Message was edited by: nctigs

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You simply aren't going to give it a rest, are you?

Apr 3, 2019, 9:38 PM

You must positively be a hoot at the Holiday Season, griping about what you didn't get.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You simply aren't going to give it a rest, are you?

Apr 3, 2019, 10:14 PM

John, I’d say we know all we need to know about “NC” with this post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you know that you're the third person to post this today

Apr 3, 2019, 9:42 PM

?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Did you know that you're the third person to post this today

Apr 3, 2019, 10:00 PM

?

I'm sorry, but it boggles the mind?

If Brad is such a great coach, why is his winning percentage in games decided by 3 points or less so poor?

Also, if recruiting is getting better, why has he not had any recruited players rated in the top 60, or any rated classes ranked in the top 25 in 9 years?

So let me get this straight.

Apr 3, 2019, 11:37 PM

You are upset that the 29th highest paid coach hasn’t had any recruiting classes in the top 25?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

So let me get this straight.

Apr 4, 2019, 4:35 AM

As long as he’s the 29th higest paid, you don’t think he can have any better than the 29th best recruiting class? (I don’t think that has happened, though)

We have to wait until he gets paid even more. Is that how it works?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I just think it's funny you are outraged

Apr 4, 2019, 11:38 AM

by him not "outrecruiting" his salary.

He has only been the 29th highest paid coach for 1 year, and the recruiting class he signed for 2019 is ranked #34. That seems in line IMO, despite the fact that this recruiting class was obviously developed over several years, not just in the year since he got the raise.

Interestingly, the NCAA's rating system (NET) had us at #34 this year as well. Again, not a completely accurate way to evaluate things since most of the players on this year's team have been on the team for a few years, but it's something.

Sounds about right to me for a coach who is 29th in salary to have a recruiting class and NET ranking in that same ballpark.

Message was edited by: Judge Keller®

1. You are the one that implied there should

Apr 4, 2019, 12:07 PM

be a correlation with pay rankings and recruiting rankings. I was saying it should not be relevant at all.

2. Not sure where you got the idea that I am “outraged” LOL

I don't think there is a direct correlation

Apr 4, 2019, 12:40 PM

but at some point, the money spent should be consistent with expectations. With few exceptions, the programs that spend the most on basketball are also the ones that see the best investment. That's why I think it's ridiculous for our fans to be complaining about Brad "only" finishing 8th in the ACC on average when our funding and support for the program is in the 13-15 range in the ACC.

I wonder how many of our fans would have been okay at any point in our history with us being near the bottom of the ACC in funding for football?

Exactly. Pay = recruiting strength

Apr 4, 2019, 11:46 AM [ in reply to So let me get this straight. ]

Do you really believe this junk?

Can you not see the idiocy in complaining about

Apr 4, 2019, 12:32 PM

a coach who isn't in the top 25 highest paid coaches (and wasn't even close to top 25 for the first 8 years of his 9 year tenure) not having a top 25 recruiting class?

Obviously recruiting doesn't parallel salary directly, but why on earth should we expect a coach who hasn't been paid near the top 25 and who didn't have facilities near the top 25 until recently to be signing top 25 classes? This is sort of like some of our fans expecting Clemson to finish in the top third of the ACC despite our athletic department not being anywhere close to the top third in the ACC in basketball spending.

At some point, the inputs (salaries, funding, etc.) have to be congruent with the expectations. Otherwise, you're expecting fine wine on a beer budget.

Re: It's lunacy to post the same think already here

Apr 4, 2019, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Did you know that you're the third person to post this today ]

without looking down to board to see its been covered there. Typical of the bozos here though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Second. I posted that Brad is the 5th highest in the ACC.

Apr 3, 2019, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Did you know that you're the third person to post this today ]

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Money, resources, admin, fans...

Apr 4, 2019, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Did you know that you're the third person to post this today ]

When will you concede thats bullcrap?

Concede what?

Apr 4, 2019, 12:43 PM

That money, resources, administration, and fans don't play a huge role in the results we get from our basketball program?

You're delusional if you think it's only about the coach.

Do you know

Apr 4, 2019, 1:40 PM

who built the original structure of Memorial Stadium? (Death Valley)

Yes, do you?***

Apr 4, 2019, 1:51 PM

Re: It's loonicy Brad is 29th in coaching salaries...

Apr 3, 2019, 9:57 PM

Loonicy? Hope you’re not a Clemson grad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2019, 4:28 AM

Looney tunes!????

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Apr 3, 2019, 10:00 PM

Not sure about you . . but I feel it is lunacy!!!

Apr 3, 2019, 10:03 PM

Ding,ding,ding. We have a winner.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's lunacy Brad is 29th in coaching salaries...

Apr 3, 2019, 10:16 PM

Loooooooooooo-Nancy, ??

Paying to be ranked 29th in the polls

Apr 3, 2019, 10:30 PM

every year until we pay more?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 10:38 PM

should be outside the top 68 if performance based.....just sayin'.

Apr 4, 2019, 12:02 PM

Don't follow basketball do you?

There are 32 automatic bids, and 36 at-large bids. Thus there is only 37 spots for teams like Clemson to fill (1 for the ACC and 36 at-large). Now take that there are 351 Div. 1 teams. So to be a tourney team, you have to be in the top 10-ish% of non-conference champion teams.

Clemson's NET ranking was 35. (St. Johns - a tourney team was 72). So it wasn't like we are getting a bad return here.

So we are paying a coach that would be a cusp NCAA salary for "cusp" performance. Worse, our investment into basketball ranks at the bottom of Power 5 spending.

Apr 3, 2019, 11:03 PM

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that the South Carolina coach is 22nd on this list.

:)

Re: South Carolina coach is 22nd

Apr 3, 2019, 11:42 PM

And yet our "mediocre" program has beaten them--what? 3 years in a row?

Apr 4, 2019, 12:42 PM

Really. You don't have anything better to do? Give it a rest.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic