Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did ya'll hear that?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Did ya'll hear that?

Nov 1, 2018, 11:23 PM

The announcers agree with me. If you are going to put all the teams under the same umbrella each one should have a chance at the national title. Good night.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did ya'll hear that?

Nov 1, 2018, 11:25 PM

Their talent is visibly lacking. They need to be passing the eye test like bama and Clemson to get in. They aren't beating all these ###### teams they play 50-10. if they want in that's what it will take.

They look small at every position. they're a scrappy little team that doesn't belong yet. They got some serious recruiting to do

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The eye test should have nothing to do with it.

Nov 1, 2018, 11:45 PM

That was the whole problem with the polls and the BCS. I haven't seen UCF play, and it shouldn't matter if I had, or if anybody had. All that should matter is who earned it by winning their conference, and any legitimate playoff would consist of nothing but conference winners, and as many conference winners as was logistically and financially possible.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The eye test should have nothing to do with it.

Nov 2, 2018, 9:01 AM

The Buffalo Bulls and Northern Illinois Huskies are both 5-0 in conference play and seem destined for the MAAC championship game. And Utah State and Fresno State are both 4-0 in Mountain West play. The West of the Sun Belt is a mess with LA Monroe leading the way at 2-2 in conference play, with Ga Southern and Troy both sitting at 4-0 in the East with a showdown looming in two weeks.

Likely some of those teams with their conferences. They seriously belong in the playoffs?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF (big "IF") it is financially and logistically possible,

Nov 2, 2018, 11:14 AM

absofreakinglutely. Why not? Remember App State beating Michigan? Miami Of Ohio over LSU? Jacksonville State over Ole Miss? Boise St over Oklahoma? It happens. If they aren't good enough, they will be eliminated - no problem - but who's to say they don't deserve a shot? The whole idea that they don't is 100% subjective and based on opinion, which is what the playoff is supposed to get away from. Remember, I'm not suggesting any of those teams be part of the existing 4-team deal; I'm talking about conference champs well beyond 4 teams.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: IF (big "IF") it is financially and logistically possible,

Nov 2, 2018, 12:09 PM

Ooookkkaaaayyyyy....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Did ya'll hear that? ]

Eye test is a load of crap.

In 2016, Clemson shut out Ohio State 31-0 and the reaction going into the title was "Well, Clemson has won but they havent really passed the eye test like Bama has".

Meanwhile, Bama is barely eeking by unranked Mississippi and they say "Well, its clear based on the numbers and the eye test that 2016 Alabama is clearly the greatest team in the 130 year history of college football".

If the CFP committee is making decisions based on the "eye test", they have no business sitting on the committee.

apparently we passed it well enough to get in the playoff

Nov 2, 2018, 10:07 AM

maybe not as good as bama (we have a different philosophy about subbing players) but I'd say we passed it..

Re: apparently we passed it well enough to get in the playoff

Nov 2, 2018, 10:18 AM

They eye test is subjective, thats the thing. There shouldnt be any subjectivity in college football, because that opens the door for corruption.

The folks on the committee should not be using subjective, intangible opinions to put teams in the playoff, becau$ tho$e opinion$ can be ea$ily per$uaded.

the "eye test" for the average american doesn't mean jack

Nov 2, 2018, 10:21 AM

squat. I think the committee does an excellent job using data, common opponents and the eye test to rank teams.

I trust the committee so far to be unbiased and make the best decision.

eye test is part of it, you might not like the term but it will always be a factor.

Re: the "eye test" for the average american doesn't mean jack

Nov 2, 2018, 10:51 AM

squat. I think the committee does an excellent job using data, common opponents and the eye test to rank teams.

I trust the committee so far to be unbiased and make the best decision.

eye test is part of it, you might not like the term but it will always be a factor.

What? The past 2 years, the playoff has gotten their selections wrong.

They totally disregarded all relevant data and other factors in 2016 and 2017 with Ohio State and Alabama.

"Unbiased"...really? Not even close. They had Condoleeza Rice as one of the committee members for crying out loud. They even openly stated that the only reason she was included in the committee was due to the fact that she's a Crimson Kool aid drinking Alabama superfan. Its ridiculous.

Neither Ohio State in 2016 nor Alabama in 2017 had any business being in the playoff, yet they were included anyway. Including Alabama last year was a total embarrassment to the entire system, to the point that the NCAA even issued a statement about in the the August pre-season media presser, which included the NCAA retroactively naming UCF the 2017 national champion (the first time the NCAA has ever officially recognized a national champion).

This year, UCF is a different story. But there is not a single shred of data or statistics you can provide that suggest UCF shouldn't have been in the 2017 playoff over Alabama. Bama played the 80th hardest schedule, went 11-1, lost by 2 touchdowns to the only team they played (Auburn), and didnt play in their conference championship. Meanwhile, UCF's SOS was ranked 34th. UCF went 12-0, beat 4 ranked teams in the process, won their conference, and clobbered Auburn in a bowl game to end the season 14-0 with wins over 5 ranked teams, including the team that curb stomped Alabama.

UCF is a weaker team this year with a weaker schedule, it will be harder for them to get in if they can get in at all. But last year, UCF should have been in the playoff instead of Alabama. The playoff committee made the wrong choice for the 2nd year in a row, and they chose Alabama purely because "they're Alabama" and Alabama and the SEC have the $$$ to keep them in the conversation.

Even the Orlando Sentinel says that the NCAA

Nov 2, 2018, 10:56 AM

Re: Even the Orlando Sentinel says that the NCAA

Nov 2, 2018, 5:27 PM

Alabama certainly performed better in the playoff. But what exactly does that tell us? Not much.

Letting Alabama in was the committe relenting to the "what if" people.

Do you remember when we beat UNC in the ACC championship game in 2015? Remember the "controversial" offsides call? Remember how UNC fans kept saying "Well IF the refs hadnt made that bad call/cheated for Clemson we would've won!". UNC fans also say "Well, IF we had more time on the clock, we would've gone into overtime and we would've won!".

Yeah, IF those conditions occured, UNC might have won. But they didnt. They didn't because there is a standardized set of rules governing the game and UNC couldn't get it done within the designated parameters.

Those parameters extend into the overall season as well. You must have a strong schedule, and win, to get in. Alabama had one of the weakest schedules of all D1 teams in 2017, and they couldn't hack it. Sure, they beat up on a ton of crappy teams, but the ONE ranked team that they played kicked their butts.

Alabama did not meet any of the standards every other team is held to for playoff consideration. None of them. And yet, I guarantee this, the statement was made in the selection hearing that "well IF Alabama were to get in, they would win the natty!".

Well yeah, probably so, but they didnt meet the standards.

Alabama being allowed in is effectively the CFP relenting to the "well IF..." complaints.

Re: Even the Orlando Sentinel says that the NCAA

Nov 2, 2018, 7:17 PM

4 best teams, period. Bama won. Beat 2 of the top three teams in succession. Only reason we didn’t want them in is because it would’ve been easier for us. Like it or not, the committee does their best to find the four best teams. After 4 years, I think most would agree, they’ve done a pretty good job

Go polish your participation trophy already.

Nov 1, 2018, 11:28 PM

Next to your 5th place duplicate ring from eBay.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And dust out the trophy case.

Nov 2, 2018, 7:24 AM

..ok. He's done with that.

I heard

Nov 1, 2018, 11:28 PM

I also heard giving up 677 yards of offense is really going

Nov 1, 2018, 11:30 PM

To hurt them with the committee.

I guess you can try and spin "what you heard" anyway that suits your agenda

No this will be spun as a "gutsy come from behind victory

Nov 2, 2018, 12:00 AM

Re: I heard

Nov 1, 2018, 11:37 PM [ in reply to I heard ]

also that ucf was the only top 25 team with no wins against teams with awinning record. Are you listening to the game on some streaming service with todd and corey doing the announcing with corncoot as the sideline reporting.

If they remotely tried to schedule tough ooc games

Nov 1, 2018, 11:29 PM

I think they would be rewarded

All teams are not under the same umbrella...

Nov 1, 2018, 11:52 PM

and until UCF plays an 8 game Power 5 schedule, they have ABSOLUTELY ZERO CHANCE of ever becoming one of the four teams playing for a National Championship.

Until then, they'll just have to keep putting signs on the facade of the stadium reflecting National Championships that they'd like to have but never actually earned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: All teams are not under the same umbrella...

Nov 2, 2018, 9:59 AM

Meanwhile, in 2017, Bama played the 80th hardest schedule, went 11-1, lost to the only ranked team on their schedule by 2 touchdowns (Auburn), and didnt even play in their conference championship game.

In the same season, UCF went 12-0, beat 4 ranked teams with the 34th hardest schedule, won their conference, and beat Auburn.

I guess thats why in August the NCAA retroactively named UCF the 2017 national champions in their pre-season media press conference eh?

lol nice try

Nov 2, 2018, 10:30 AM

Re: All teams are not under the same umbrella...

Nov 2, 2018, 9:59 AM [ in reply to All teams are not under the same umbrella... ]

There is only ONE national title for all FBS teams. So they are under the same umbrella.

Either have a separate natty for group of 5 or start giving them a shot at it.

Nov 2, 2018, 12:30 AM

I heard an announcer say the coots were cycling in one time......but he was stupid too.

#########

Nov 2, 2018, 7:11 AM

UCF wants a crack? Schedule Power 5 roadies and accept significantly less money. Go ask Bobby Bowden how that worked for him.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

The inferiority complex is unreal

Nov 2, 2018, 7:19 AM

Between the AAC having “Power 6” on their chains, UCF having national champions put up in their stadium, to your dumb a$$ thinking that that UCF team belongs on the field with any of the top 10 teams.

At this point it’s almost not fun TD’ing you but it must be done.

Nov 2, 2018, 8:02 AM

UCF does have a chance at a National Title. They should schedule some big teams to play. SOS and SOR are used to determine the best teams and the 125th ranked SOS is poor. Their toughest opponents are South Florida and Cincinnati. Their OOC games are against UNC and Pitt.

Assuming that Michigan wins out why should UCF be put in ahead of Michigan when their only loss would have been to Notre Dame? The CDP would be punishing teams for scheduling good teams.

Make an argument for why UCF should be in ahead of ANY 1 loss P5 team in contention for the CFP.

They shouldn't and they won't be....

Nov 2, 2018, 9:38 AM

The SOS and their SOR are both a joke.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They shouldn't and they won't be....

Nov 2, 2018, 9:56 AM

I'm not saying this year, I'm saying it's possible at some future time. If they play a difficult schedule and are undefeated, they may have a shot in the future. I agree that they don't deserve a shot this year.

As weak as the AAC is...

Nov 2, 2018, 10:04 AM

UCF needs to be playing four legitimate Power 5 opponents every year and I'm not talking about a bunch of bottom feeders like North Carolina, Kansas, Rutgers, Illinois, Oregon State, Arizona State, Missouri or Arkansas.

Re: As weak as the AAC is...

Nov 2, 2018, 1:34 PM

If you saw them play last night you would see that they have no D.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 2:13 PM

Good morning. Georgia Southern would beat them.......

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic