Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did the offense get better
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,162

Did the offense get better

Jun 18, 2019, 11:05 AM

after Elliot and Scott took the reins?

No offense to Morris but I think the play calling improved
when Dabo went to co-cordinators. Morris was a little too
HUNH just to tire down defenses. Also he strayed too quick from things
that were working. And I wish he could beat Bama this year.

I'm glad he taught TE and JS the offense but I like their play calling
better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Jun 18, 2019, 11:24 AM

Elliot is better able to adapt to the defense. But he also benefits from significantly more talent than Morris ever had. Especially at QB and OL.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Yes

Jun 18, 2019, 11:29 AM

Yes, this ^ I really looked at what Elliot/Scott have done as refining the Morris product.

And I agree, if Morris had both the DW4 and TL16 offense, mercy he would do a lot of damage.

The other thing is that E&S also had an established BV with a few years + the offensive talent. That helps knowing you can lean on the D and then also be explosive/take risk on offense.

In comparison with

Jun 18, 2019, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Yes ]

Some of the other assistants, the offensive coordinators aren’t paid enough.... imo.

If we hope to keep them, and I believe that we do, we need to look closely at their pay scale. I’m sure I read where they make around $200,000 annually but there may be bonuses I’m not aware of. Anyone know for sure.

Re: In comparison with

Jun 18, 2019, 11:50 AM

Uh, no. Both JS and TE are at 1 million annually. BV is over 2 million.

Jun 18, 2019, 1:10 PM

Thanks. You are exactly right. Both of the OCs got a raise for 2019 that put them at seven figures. I’m glad!

Jun 18, 2019, 5:22 PM

The first time one of them takes head coaching gig somewhere, the other gets a huge raise.

Re: Agree with you

Jun 18, 2019, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Yes ]

talent has improved drastically

Our OL has gotten much better. along with skill positions
Morris wanted to run a smash mouth spread but could
never really get the nasty linemen all at once across the line.

I think Elliot is sort of a offensive savant as far as game planning
and Scott compliments his abilities. It's a great combo IMO

No doubt, some Joes have gotten better.***

Jun 18, 2019, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Yes ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you saying the Jimmies are still mediocre

Jun 19, 2019, 12:56 PM

Or they didn't need to improve? Or are we all Joes, no Jimmies?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

No, I often give the audience here far too much credit...

Jun 19, 2019, 1:18 PM

it's a flaw, but you knew the reference - you pass.

How goes D78? Hope you and yours are well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Livin' the dream, bruh

Jun 19, 2019, 5:43 PM

Hope y'alls be good

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Niceeeeee, and me, mine is mo bueno - thanks D78.

Jun 19, 2019, 5:56 PM

Have a good night.

Dang phone

Jun 19, 2019, 12:56 PM [ in reply to No doubt, some Joes have gotten better.*** ]

null

Message was edited by: David78®

The point about the talent being better is irrelevant

Jun 19, 2019, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Yes ]

because you're assuming Morris would've done the same thing Scott and Elliot have done if he would've had Watson, Lawrence, Ross, Higgins, Etienne, etc.

Morris would've still been the same stubborn, predictable play caller calling the same plays. Our O got better because the playbook got tweaked, the play calling got better in given situations, and if something isn't working, we now adjust. It's not like Morris was working with a scab offense. The OL has gotten better overall but otherwise he had some serious firepower on O.

Re: Did the offense get better

Jun 18, 2019, 11:33 AM

I think so.

Look at how much better Cole Stoudt performed against Oklahoma in the bowl game immediately after Morris left. This could be attributed some to Streeter but I believe it's that in combination with Scott/Elliot calling plays that better fit the players involved.

Terrific point about Stoudt. That situation spoke volumes.***

Jun 19, 2019, 1:38 PM

Jun 20, 2019, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Did the offense get better ]

I think Stoudt's transformation is almost entirely due to Streeter. It's one thing to game-plan, it's another thing to *fully* restore your QB's confidence. And anyway, given that it was the first game post-Chad, I feel sure Streeter had heavy input. Elliott didn't go off into some broom closet and come out with the perfect Stoudt game plan.

The years since have proven the point. Nobody's had better QB play overall than Clemson.

theChad came to Clemson promising Smash Mouf Spread

Jun 18, 2019, 11:34 AM

but did not deliver, even traveling to Nevada to learn Coach Ault's Pistol. He seemed to default to Tajh, not a bad thing, but to the point his RBs said they felt spit on.

When ScElliott took over, Dabo emphatically stated they are going to run the ball and they have. Both Gallman & now ET, breaking Clemson rushing records.

It's been the biggest difference between theChad and the current OCs, but give theChad his credit, he lay the foundation, too many great moments to number.

My favorite, this ain't happiness camp!

Re: theChad came to Clemson promising Smash Mouf Spread

Jun 18, 2019, 4:34 PM

I agree with most of what is stated in this thread, but a major contributor to the improved offense was throwing half the 200lb play book in the trash and greatly simplifying the offense so the players could play faster.

definitely

Jun 18, 2019, 11:39 AM

Morris became predictible like Spence's bubble screen.
Morris was the quick sideline out, 2 out of every 3 downs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Jun 18, 2019, 4:58 PM

Morris was too high strung and too stubborn with his play calling. He lost more than one game against the chickens and at least one with FSU for not "going with what is working." (A lot like Bama in the championship this year.)

Absolutely and without a doubt it got better. Morris did

Jun 19, 2019, 1:06 PM

some really good things, but he's hard headed and predictable. He ran Boyd entirely too much. It's a testament to Boyd's toughness because most QB would've folded from the punishment.

Jun 19, 2019, 1:43 PM

Definitely better because more dynamic. S and E are not afraid to find what will work and exploit it. Morris seemed to stick to a game plan no matter what. Still pissed off about the GT game where DW got hurt, and it seemed that the play calling with Stout was the same plan with a totally different style QB.

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,162
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic