Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did I hear right..NCst #1 in Nation in 3rd Down Success?!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,382

Did I hear right..NCst #1 in Nation in 3rd Down Success?!

Oct 15, 2018, 10:06 PM

No way! Come On, No Way! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

U5C is ranked pretty high in 3rd down success too...

Oct 15, 2018, 10:25 PM

The problem for them is an ongoing inability to stop opposing offenses on first and second downs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Did I hear right..NCst #1 in Nation in 3rd Down Success?!

Oct 15, 2018, 10:40 PM

JMU, GaSt, Marshall, UVA, BC.........but yeh, they’re #1 in 3rd down conversions. Other stats I like - they give up about 2 yds/play more than us, they give up 80 yds/game more than us. We’ve both given up 10 TD’s. When I take into consideration who they’ve played and who we’ve played, I like our chances. I think they’ll dink & dunk in the pass game, but I think that will be far less reliable than our run game and I think the second they try to load up to stop our run, TL will cut their heart out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2018, 10:41 PM

I'm assuming you mean they convert on offense more than anyone statistically speaking on 3rd down? Couldn't imagine that pertains to their defense after losing so much. Finley is a safe QB who gets it out of his hands quick. He puts them in "good plays" and moves the chains. The Clemson defense will have it's work cut out no doubt.
I still don't think they will be able to keep pace with our offense!

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2018, 11:04 PM

JAMES MADISON - WOLFPACK CLUB DAY | RED AND WHITE FOR LIFE GAME
RALEIGH, N.C. CARTER-FINLEY STADIUMTV: ESPNU
W 24-13
BOX SCORE
GAME RECAP
Georgia State - Ag Day | White Out
SAT SEP 8, 2018 12:30 P.M.

GEORGIA STATE - AG DAY | WHITE OUT
RALEIGH, N.C. CARTER-FINLEY STADIUMTV: RSN
W 41-7
BOX SCORE
GAME RECAP
West Virginia - Hall of Fame | Varsity Club Weekend
SAT SEP 15, 2018 3:30 P.M.

#14/15 WEST VIRGINIA - HALL OF FAME | VARSITY CLUB WEEKEND
RALEIGH, N.C. CARTER-FINLEY STADIUMTV: ESPNU
CANCELLED
Marshall
SAT SEP 22, 2018 7 P.M.

MARSHALL
HUNTINGTON, W.VA. TV: CBS SPORTS NETWORK
W 37-20
BOX SCORE
GAME RECAP
Virginia - Parents & Families Weekend
SAT SEP 29, 2018 12:20 P.M.
ACC
VIRGINIA - PARENTS & FAMILIES WEEKEND
RALEIGH, N.C. CARTER-FINLEY STADIUMTV: RAYCOM
W 35-21
BOX SCORE
GAME RECAP
Boston College
SAT OCT 6, 2018 12:30 P.M.
ACC
BOSTON COLLEGE
RALEIGH, N.C. CARTER-FINLEY STADIUMTV: ACC RSN
W 28-23
BOX SCORE
GAME RECAP

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 12:14 AM

That is a double-edged sword IMO. It's good for them that they are making a lot of first downs on 3rd down, but it means that they have a lot of third downs, which might be considered bad.

If you watch NCSU games, they absolutely protect Finley and he is seldom sacked (we had ONE last year I think). If you give Finley time in the pocket, he will shred your secondary all day long. I expect this will happen this Saturday unless CBV can figure a way for our D to pressure Finley, and maybe get several sacks. Otherwise, expect a long day.

We will know early if we are in for a backyard brawl with State. Finley went 15-for-15 early last year against us, so let's hope our D solves the problem.

Oct 16, 2018, 1:13 AM

No question Finley can hurt us. WR Kelvin Harmon is big and fast.

Seems like BV has had our guys playing more man coverage lately, so if he trusts our corners and backers we might put the clamps on those little 6-yard passes.

Our QBs in practice may be the only guys in the conference who can get the ball out as quick as Finley. If our D can defend the quick passes to Ross, Higgins, Renfrow, etc in practice, with TL and Chase throwing, i like our chances vs State.

Oct 16, 2018, 1:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Did I hear right..NCst #1 in Nation in 3rd Down Success?! ]

I like to think our DL came back this year for one reason, to prove it's the best that's ever been, and that will be shown this Saturday. And just to make sure, we have XT and KJ sitting in the wings, just in case anything "untoward" happens.(?) I have to believe our entire defense under coach BV is keyed into what might happen and what they need to do. We got this (34-17...?)

Oct 16, 2018, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Did I hear right..NCst #1 in Nation in 3rd Down Success?! ]

There's no time for a sack when they hit the quick slant or quick out. They will do a lot of that and pressure the corners and hope for a missed tackle or two. Their receivers use their bodies well and are big.

Oct 16, 2018, 2:28 AM

They also haven't played a p5 team with a defense in the top 50 or even an offense in the top 50.

Both our O and D are in the top 10.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,382
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic