Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Venables stays on the attack, Tigers knock 'Noles backwards
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

New Story: Venables stays on the attack, Tigers knock 'Noles backwards

Oct 30, 2016, 2:39 PM

Venables stays on the attack, Tigers knock 'Noles backwards

The Clemson defense gave up several big plays late Saturday night, but with the game on the line Brent Venables dialed up the pressure and helped dial up a Clemson win. Photo by Marina Vastola / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Venables stays on the attack, Tigers knock 'Noles backwards

Oct 30, 2016, 2:54 PM

Absolutely the way to play defense. Aggressive and not giving the QB time to find an open receiver. Prevent defenses do nothing but allow the offense to march down the field. Play the way you have played the whole game and you will come out on top.

Oct 30, 2016, 3:22 PM

To use a phrase from my youth, "dance with the one who brung you."

If you get to the end of the game and are leading, they why change what you're doing?

Interestingly, the sack on 3rd down was against a 3-man rush, and both Wilkins and Big Dex got to Fran Swa. On 4th down, the entire D-line plus 2 Backers all came. Good call, good execution. I was glad to see Ben corral him, because you know someone had to be open. My old high school coach always said that "the best pass defense is the quarterback flat on his back."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2016, 3:33 PM

We gonna have do better if we gonna think about play Alabama again for National Title.

That's the best you can do for a first post?

Oct 30, 2016, 7:38 PM

I'll take "Worst First Posts Ever" for 200 Alex.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Oct 31, 2016, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables stays on the attack, Tigers knock 'Noles backwards ]

I didn't want to give you a TD because it felt like kicking a puppy, but then looked at your post again.

null

Did Dabo or Brent say why they accepted holding on 4th & 13?

Oct 30, 2016, 6:24 PM

I would have expected them to decline the holding penalty at the 50 yard line with 49 seconds left to set up 4th & 13 instead of 3rd & 23 against a talented, dangerous passing attack on a night when our DBs were constantly getting flagged for PI.

I could see an argument to be made either way but I think most coaches would gamble on stopping one 4th & 13 play in order to win-- especially late in the game when your DBs are probably getting a bit gassed.

The clock and FG range seemed a bit irrelevant because they needed a 1st down to even attempt a FG.

Re: Did Dabo or Brent say why they accepted holding on 4th & 13?

Oct 30, 2016, 6:59 PM

I also questioned that call for the same reasons. After ncstate and this game I have finally learned to stop questioning and enjoy the outcome.

Oct 31, 2016, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Did Dabo or Brent say why they accepted holding on 4th & 13? ]

Six of one, half dozen of the other. It was a gamble either way. Thank God it turned out right.

Nov 1, 2016, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Did Dabo or Brent say why they accepted holding on 4th & 13? ]

I'm really surprised this question hasn't garnered more attention. We all know it's water over the ### but I don't get that decision at all. I would think you'd always take the fourth and thirteen.
Does anyone think that might be why I'm not a coach? :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2016, 6:54 PM

Game TYING FG. We would have gone to OT.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thankfully, our "prevent" defense has been hurting us for

Oct 30, 2016, 8:00 PM

last few years. I remember many t-netters begging Tigers NOT to go in Prevent defenses. Many pts. have been put on the board in last few minutes, when we were ahead by a substantial margins. Notre Dame, USuck and Syracuse last year, N C State, Troy, and Auburn this year for sure!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thankfully, our "prevent" defense has been hurting us for

Nov 1, 2016, 12:50 AM

Tigeron, couldn't agree more. Linebacker play has been used to contain QB on rushes more often instead of covering in the mid/backfield. It's been good for us for TFL, but also has it's setbacks with holes in the secondary.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic