Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top 10 Clemson QBs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Top 10 Clemson QBs

Apr 19, 2019, 10:50 AM

To follow-up on the RB list from yesterday, here's my list of the Top 10 QBs. This list is also going to skew more recent because of my age, the passer-friendly era of CFB most of these guys played in, and our more recent success.

Who you got?

10. Cullen Harper
-2005-2008
-5,762 Passing Yards (5th All-Time)
-42 Passing TDs (4th All-Time)
-47 Total TDs (5th All-Time)

Honestly, Harper gets the nod here based solely on stats. He had a relatively undecorated tenure but is in the top 5 of pretty much every QB career stat category and to me that's worth something. He also went 2-1 vs. USuCk.

9. Homer Jordan
-1979-1982
-4,614 Total Yards (10th All-Time)
-All-ACC
-2 ACC Championships
-1 National Championship

Obviously Jordan doesn't have the stats of any of these other guys but he has something that only 2 other Clemson QBs have: A National Championship. That alone gets him on my list. He's still top 10 all-time in total yards.

8. Kyle Parker
-2008-2010
-4,739 Passing Yards (7th All-Time)
-32 Passing TDs (7th All-Time)
-Freshman All-ACC
-Freshman All-American

Parker was a 2-sport star at Clemson who was a 1st Round MLB Draft Pick in 2010. He's top 10 in career stats despite only playing 2 seasons. He was the first player in NCAA history (and it looks like based on my cursory Google search still the only?) to have 20 passing TDs and 20 HRs in the same season.

7. Rodney Williams
-1985-1988
-4,647 Passing Yards (8th All-Time)
-5,510 Total Yards (8th All-Time)
-3 ACC Championships

Rodney doesn't have the TDs in the record books these other guys have as he played in a different style of offense but he had 3 ACC Titles in a row. He was the first QB to go to 4 bowl games in a row. He also got sweeeeeeet redemption against USuCk his senior year---"Rodney! Rodney! Rodney!"

6. Woody Dantzler
-1998-2001
-6,037 Passing Yards (4th All-Time)
-8,798 Total Yards (4th All-Time)
-41 Passing TDs (5th All-Time)
-68 Total TDs (3rd All-Time)
-All-ACC

Woody was probably the greatest athlete we've ever had at QB. He was ahead of his time as a dual-threat QB and is still in the top 10 at Clemson for career rushing yards alone. He was the first QB in CFB history to pass for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 in a single season. He also is an Arena Bowl Champ!

5. Charlie Whitehurst
-2002-2005
-9,665 Passing Yards (3rd All-Time)
-49 Passing TDs (3rd All-Time)
-59 Total TDs (4th All-Time)
-All-ACC
-3rd Round Draft Pick

Whitehurst is still top 3 all-time in the Clemson record books and is most fondly remembered for being the first QB in the Rivalry to go 4-0 against USuCk! He also gets props for having the greatest job in the world for many years: Backup QB in San Diego and also dating Jewel.

4. Steve Fuller
-1975-1978
-4,359 Passing Yards (9th All-Time)
-6,096 Total Yards (6th All-Time)
-44 Total TDs (7th All-Time)
-1 ACC Championship
-2x All-ACC
-All American
-1st Round Draft Pick

I honestly was going to put Whitehurst here for his overall stats beating out Fuller's but I gave Fuller the nod for his AA status and having an ACC Championship. The Original #4 was well before my time but there's a reason Deshaun Watson had to get his blessing to wear the jersey--he's a Clemson Legend. He also won a Super Bowl Ring!

3. Trevor Lawrence
-2018-Present
-3,280 Passing Yards (to date)
-30 Passing TDs (8th All-Time)
-1 ACC Championship
-1 National Championship
-ACC ROY
-All-ACC
-Archie Griffin Award Winner

This one may be based mostly on potential as he could end up #1 but he already has something most Clemson QBs never got--A Natty Ring. In one season he's already in the top 10 for Career Passing TDs. His true freshman season was arguably the greatest for a true freshman in CFB history.

2. Tajh Boyd
-2010-2013
-11,904 Passing Yards (1st All-Time)
-13,069 Total Yards (1st All-Time)
-107 Passing TDs (1st All-Time)
-133 Total TDs (1st All-Time)
-1 ACC Championship
-ACC POY
-All-American
-3x All-ACC
-6th Round Draft Pick

This one is probably going to be controversial but I stand by it. Tajh gets a lot of unfair hate IMO solely because he went 0-3 vs. USuCk. He also had the misfortune of playing against the 3 greatest teams USuCk ever fielded. He was the first Clemson QB to win an ACC Title in over 20 years and played one of the gutsiest games I've ever seen a QB play vs. LSU in the Peach Bowl. He also owns the Clemson Record Book. We would not be enjoying the success we do now without Boyd helping lay the foundation.

1. Deshaun Watson
-2014-2016
-10,163 Passing Yards (2nd All-Time)
-12,097 Total Yards (2nd All-Time)
-90 Passing TDs (2nd All-Time)
-116 Total TDs (2nd All-Time)
-2 ACC Championships
-1 National Title
-ACC POY
-Consensus All-American
-Unitas Award
-2x O'brien Award Winner
-2x Manning Award Winner
-2x Heisman Finalist
-1st Round Draft Pick

DW4 is a no-brainer. Arguably the most decorated and greatest FB player we've ever. He's at least second in almost every QB record in the books and only played 2.5 years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 10 Clemson QBs

Apr 19, 2019, 11:10 AM

I honestly I would not *quite* place TL in the top 5 yet. I think you need to have more than one year to place there and the natty is good but why is Jordan so low (I know, different, still he was extremely efficient). And if you were going to consider just one year impact, I would place Bryant on that list before Kyle Parker.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2019, 11:20 AM

I would put Billy Luckie and Michael Carr ahead of Harper.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

Apr 20, 2019, 7:24 AM

Michael Carr? No doubt a top 10 QB recruit at Clemson, but I'd say he would have needed to start at least one game to make this list. It took us over 20 years to get over the aftermath of the Michael Carr debacle.

Apr 20, 2019, 12:08 PM

Agree. Furthermore, Luckie didn't play enough to be top 10. Both were big-time recruits, but neither panned out.

That's a fair criticism of Lawrence but even as a one-season

Apr 19, 2019, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 Clemson QBs ]

-wonder I think he merits a top 5 spot.

Parker redshirted in 2008 and played 2009 and 2010 seasons.

Apr 20, 2019, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 Clemson QBs ]

He won a national Championship and basically wood shedded the “best team ever” in the process.#16 is in the top 5!

Tajh...

Apr 19, 2019, 11:29 AM

Doesn't he still hold the ACC record for career TDs responsible for? That stat also deserves recognition.

Good catch--you are correct!

Apr 19, 2019, 11:37 AM

Tajh is the All-Time Career TD Leader in ACC History

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/acc/leaders/pass-td-player-career.html

DW4 is the single-season record holder and Boyd is #3 behind Jameis Winston

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/acc/leaders/pass-td-player-season.html

Boyd is 2nd in ACC history for Passing Yards behind Phillip Rivers

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/acc/leaders/pass-yds-player-career.html

Re: Good catch--you are correct!

Apr 19, 2019, 11:45 AM

Yeah! That's awesome. Also keep in mind your first link is just for Tajh's passing TDs (107 total) - he also had 26 rushing TDs.

You know one thing that's interesting. As good as we're

Apr 19, 2019, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Tajh... ]

getting, the days of having a super-star blowing stats out the roof are probably over for a while. Good teams, really, really good teams, don't have a superstar. They have balance and spread themselves evenly across multiple skill positions. We have a lot of really good players, but I don't think you'll see any one player carry the team in a Dabo program. It's kind of like Alabama. They never have super-stars.

For a player to get record-breaking stats, that means there's other players not carrying the load. As good as we are, I just don't see anyone dominating stats enough to set many all-time records.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're right for our WRs but ETN actually set

Apr 20, 2019, 8:56 AM

the single-season rushing record last year.

Lawrence is on pace to challenge the passing TD records at Clemson as well.

Apr 19, 2019, 11:40 AM

Not a bad list, but I might put Nealon Green in there in place of someone. When he took the field, I remember thinking that he was a whole different QB than we had seen in a long time. He was here during some dark times in football, yet still shined.

You could easily make an argument for him over Harper***

Apr 19, 2019, 11:50 AM

Apr 19, 2019, 12:17 PM

Good list and great info. on stats and comments.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on how you rank them but

Apr 19, 2019, 12:22 PM

I think by far Tajh is the most important QB in Clemson history. Without him, there is no Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence.

Always been a fan of Woodrow

Apr 19, 2019, 12:24 PM

He may not be the greatest, but he may be the most entertaining. He was a thrill to see him play. Remember those Ga Tech and NC State games where he had like 500+ yards rushing and passing?

To this day I still don’t think I’ve ever seen a single

Apr 20, 2019, 1:18 PM

player dominate a game like Woody did against GT and NCSU. Amazing. That GT game is still one of my favorites.

“Airs it deep...OH MY GOODNESS!...Mackensey...TOUCH DOWN!”

null

Apr 19, 2019, 12:32 PM

It’s between Watson and Lawrence and then there is a drop to 3. I love the love for boyd throughout this thread but honestly 3 is the highest he could be and even then some others deserve consideration. Fuller, Whitehurst, Dantzler, and Jordan are all on the list somewhere. I’d have to spend more time to come up with 10 but those are the 7 who stand out.

Apr 20, 2019, 7:44 PM

Tajh boyd wins 2 national championships with Deshaun or Trevors defenses...there was literally nothing Tajh couldn't do on the field as a Qb.

Boyd also played with some of the worst Clemson defenses

Apr 19, 2019, 12:32 PM

in recent memory. Those teams had to outscore everyone which put a lot more pressure on Boyd. He didn't really have the luxury of starting slow and settling into a game.

We didn't have the 85 Bears when Woody or Charlie played

Apr 19, 2019, 12:38 PM

either

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great list! Here's mine:

Apr 19, 2019, 12:33 PM

1. Deshaun Watson
2. Trevor Lawrence (I think he will ultimately be #1)
3. Tajh Boyd
4. Steve Fuller
5. Charlie Whitehurst
6. Woody Dantzler
7. Nealon Greene
8. Rodney Williams
9. Homer Jordan
10. Cullen Harper

As you said, it's hard to compare different eras. It's also difficult because success in football, especially in terms of wins and losses, requires much more than just a good QB. For example, Rodney Williams won a lot, and managed the offense very well, but I don't view him as one of our better QBs overall. However, the fact that he won so much is worth something, which is why I ranked him in the top 10.

Nealon Greene was a very talented QB, but had the misfortune on playing on some teams that didn't help him much. Put him in an offense like Tajh Boyd had the benefit of playing in, and Nealon would probably be ranked higher on this list (with a lot more yards, TDs, and wins to show for it).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Great list! Here's mine:

Apr 20, 2019, 3:44 PM

Your list is the best I’ve seen in the thread I think it’s just about spot on. The only alteration I’d make is lowering and dropping completely Greene. He was only our qb because we were in a talent starved era of Clemson football In the mid 90s. No way he starts or even gets recruited in other eras.

Apr 19, 2019, 12:41 PM

1. Watson
2. Boyd
3. Whitehurst
4. Fuller
5. Jordan
6. Danztler
7. Bryce
8. Williams
9. Pengitore
10. Lawrence

One big knock against TL is that he has never won a close game ;)

Apr 19, 2019, 12:42 PM

1. Watson
2. Boyd
3. Whitehurst
4. Fuller
5. Jordan
6. Danztler
7. Brice
8. Williams
9. Pengitore
10. Lawrence

One big knock against TL is that he has never won a close game ;)

Apr 20, 2019, 10:06 AM

No Top QB list is complete without Jimmy "The Needle" Addison.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 20, 2019, 12:15 PM

Ha. I thought I was an old timer! I had to look Pengitore up. As a 51 year old, I was just learning football when he was there. Fuller was the first QB I remember.

Apr 20, 2019, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 Clemson QBs ]

Harvey White, too.

Apr 18, 2020, 5:50 PM

I hate to admit it, but I forgot Streeter. He was a great QB and incredibly tough. I hear he is doing a pretty good job as a coach somewhere, with some really good QBs. ??

Apr 20, 2019, 12:29 PM

Deshaun Watson and TL are the top 2 and no other qb's are even close.

Apr 20, 2019, 1:21 PM

Great list. I didn't know Charlie Whitehurst dated Jewel. I loved her songs. Alaskan country girl.

Apr 20, 2019, 1:24 PM

I know who will soon be jumping to the top of the list.

Mike Eppley replaces Parker on my list

Apr 20, 2019, 1:43 PM

Eppley was very steady and probably more efficient than Homer. Of course Homer makes the list because of his 81 season. Harper’s numbers were a bit inflated against the softer part of the schedule. I would put Woody in front of Whitehurst. Charlie fell victim to Rob Spence at the end of his career which hurt his performance and numbers. Deckhand Cameron and Nealon Greene would have both benefitted from a different system or in Nealon’s case a better supporting cast

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 5:35 PM

If history holds true, TL will break all of DW4s records. He did it in HS he might do it in college

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post! No arguments from me

Apr 20, 2019, 6:02 PM

I agree that Tajh was a key to us reaching the level we are on now. I hate that he got hung with the 0fer against the Coots, and that things did not pan out for him at the next level. He will always be a great Clemson man, and a personal favorite.

This thread reminded me of how important the “dandy dozen” was, and I hope that they will always be remembered for their tremendous role in the evolution (and elevation) of our program.

Re: Top 9 Clemson QBs- that I've seen.

Apr 20, 2019, 7:02 PM

I can't really talk about Homer Jordan or Steve Fuller. Obviously both were awesome and big parts of Clemson tradition. So I'll limit my list to what I've seen with my own eyes. I also won't mention the stats. AC did a good job.

Honorable Mentions- Kelly Bryant: tough leader, led us to the playoffs. Dechane Cameron went 29-6-1 as a starter.

9) Rodney Williams- He fit the era of option football. Great leader. Fun personality.

8) Nealon Greene- Probably helped Tommy West keep his job longer than he should've. Super tough and athletic. He had a decent CFL career which means he probably was a better athlete than he was coached to be by the West staff.

7) Kyle Parker- Great red shirt freshmen season in 2009. Got us to our first ACCCG. Then a young Dabo allowed Kyle to drag butt during the off season which I believe set a bad tone for the 2010 season. I don't blame Kyle for the late season collapse, but I believe Dabo learned a valuable lesson from the moment.

6) Cullen Harper- One of the most underrated QBs in Clemson history. His biggest problem was playing for mediocre coaches. He certainly had the skills and talent to lead the team further than it did. I blame that on Tommy Bowden.

5) Woody Dantlzer- Woody, often by himself, kept Clemson from some dark ages in the early Bowden years. His win-loss total isn't impressive, but that's not his fault. Woody also made some of the more memorable plays in my life: 4th and forever vs GT to McKelvey and the Catch 2 to Rod Garner vs South Carolina.

4) Tajh Boyd- I'm sure some people have TB higher, and I wrestled with this choice. Tajh helped set the example for what we see today. He played up to his potential. He was tough and has been a great ambassador for Clemson in his retirement.

3) Charlie Whiterhurst- Like Cullen and Woody, CW made the best of playing under a series of bad coordinators and Tommy Bowden. Under the current staff he would've soared and likely been a top QB pick. His great accomplishments including beat FSU(twice), going 4-0 vs South Carolina, and winning a few bowl games.

2) Trevor Lawrence- By the time he's done Trevor may very well be number one. He's off to the best start of any QB in our history and we all see what could be. I shudder to think of the numbers he'll put up next season with the talent coming back. Not even Deshaun Watson has the arm talent Trevor possesses.

1) Deshaun Watson- DW took the ball from Tajh via Cole Stoudt and pushed us to the top. Trevor enjoys a bevy of talent in the backfield and at WR partially because of DW and his leadership. There is no TL without DW. It's likely that Trevor will surpass him, but DW deserves a statue like yesterday. His will to win and commitment to Clemson are the standard.

Chris Morocco was cool***

Apr 20, 2019, 8:04 PM

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic