Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ND safety receives angry letter after Clemson game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

ND safety receives angry letter after Clemson game

Jan 19, 2019, 11:35 AM

https://twitter.com/aisinnaaa/status/1085579495233540099/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1085579495233540099&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indystar.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2Fnotre-dame%2F2019%2F01%2F17%2Fnotre-dame-safety-alohi-gilman-receives-angry-anonymous-letter%2F2603659002%2F

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND safety receives angry letter after Clemson game

Jan 19, 2019, 11:41 AM

That’s crazy!! That dude was the very best thing on the field for the Irish that night. With his platform I’m sure he will accomplish more than “six angry veterans” and I’m a veteran who begrudges him nothing.

Jan 19, 2019, 11:44 AM

I think that letter is ridiculous, but I was surprised during the game to hear that a player transferred from The Naval Academy.

Jan 19, 2019, 11:50 AM

He did transfer because of NFL aspirations

Jan 19, 2019, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: ND safety receives angry letter after Clemson game ]

I was surprised to hear that too. Tony Elliot did a similar thing transferring from USAF prep to Clemson as I recall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he did, but different situation. He ended up walking on

Jan 19, 2019, 12:44 PM

here. He didn't transfer under football.

Elliott eventually turned to sports as an outlet, and he became a basketball and football star at James Island High School. He was recruited by several FCS programs, including Furman, Wofford and The Citadel, and he eventually chose an appointment to the U.S. Air Force Academy Preparatory School in 1998. However, after a year in Colorado Springs, Colorado, he decided a military career wasn't the right fit for him.

I thought I was there for the wrong reason," Elliott said. "I was there to play football and thought I was taking someone else's spot."

Elliott moved back to James Island, where he worked as a cashier at Publix and a construction laborer to save enough money to pay his college tuition. He enrolled at Clemson in 1999 and walked on to the football team as a freshman. The wide receiver lettered in four straight seasons and earned a scholarship as a junior. As a senior in 2003, Elliott was named a co-captain and had 23 catches for 286 yards with one touchdown.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Re: he did, but different situation. He ended up walking on

Jan 19, 2019, 1:49 PM

Yeah I'm a huge TE fan. Thanks for filling in the back story because I didnt have all the details. I just knew he went from AF to Clemson as a walk on initially. He and Jeff were stretching partners as WR's. Who could have imagined they would one day be coordinators at Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he graduated with a high gpa in engineering too***

Jan 19, 2019, 6:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stellar post.. tu!***

Jan 19, 2019, 6:32 PM [ in reply to he did, but different situation. He ended up walking on ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I can't believe anyone took that much time out of their

Jan 19, 2019, 12:45 PM

lives to express such negativity. sad

Jan 19, 2019, 12:52 PM

All I can say is David Robinson enrolled at the Naval Academy as a lightly recruited prospect at 6'-7", and became an NBA lock as he grew another six inches to 7'-1" by the time he graduated. Not only did he fulfill his commitment to complete his college career at Navy, but he delayed his NBA career to serve his country as a US Naval Officer for two years before the Navy reduced his obligation and encouraged him to go play basketball. Guess the old guys expected Gilman to have the same level of commitment as Robinson.

Jan 19, 2019, 1:14 PM

Roger Staubach fulfilled his commitment too. While I don’t agree with sending the kid a letter, I share the veterans concerns. We are living in a different time with different values than what I grew up in.

Seems like they would have proudly signed their names...

Jan 19, 2019, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: ND safety receives angry letter after Clemson game ]

idk. just a lot of effort.

Defense Dept changed the rules, so the player transferred

Jan 19, 2019, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: ND safety receives angry letter after Clemson game ]

This is from The Indy Star newspaper

"A reversal of policy for the service academies that spring suddenly made it much harder for an NFL prospect such as Gilman to pursue his dream. Rather than receive a deferment of the five-year active-duty commitment while playing professionally, Gilman would have had to serve his country first.

After a period of soul searching and numerous heartfelt conversations with his family and the Navy coaching staff, Gilman decided to transfer in June 2017."

Honestly, if you read anything about the situation, it sounds like he was swayed to play for Navy head coach because of his Polynesian background and agreed to thinking he'd play in the NFL for 5 years then got to fulfill his commitment. Then the rule was changed requiring you go in to service immediately. He adjusted. No issue on my end.

null

I’m in the military, it doesn’t take a lot of “courage” to

Jan 19, 2019, 6:06 PM

Write an anonymous letter to a teenager/early 20s young man.

Sign your name.

For all we know, this young man may end up serving in the military. He has a whole lot of life ahead of himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: I’m in the military, it doesn’t take a lot of “courage” to

Jan 19, 2019, 10:57 PM

you could have stopped after the second line.

so let's get this straight, 6 veterans write an anonymous letter in which they accuse a teenager of cowardice for switching schools? just who is the coward?

Re: I’m in the military, it doesn’t take a lot of “courage” to

Jan 19, 2019, 10:57 PM [ in reply to I’m in the military, it doesn’t take a lot of “courage” to ]

you could have stopped after the second line.

so let's get this straight, 6 veterans write an anonymous letter in which they accuse a teenager of cowardice for switching schools? just who is the coward?

Jan 19, 2019, 6:24 PM

I fulfilled my obligation to the Marine Corps and recently got a letter from my neighbor for letting my dog crap in his yard. Sorta similar but really not.

Jan 19, 2019, 6:30 PM

It takes a serious coward to send that and not put their names to it.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Guess I'll be the one who asks.

Jan 19, 2019, 6:43 PM

How do we know this is legit? Just saying everyone is quick with their judgement. But I have doubts this was written by 6 veterans. The wording is trollish. Plus I find it hard to think veterans with such honor would not sign it.

Calling someone a coward while being afraid to sign name

Jan 19, 2019, 6:47 PM

... now that’s the definition of ironic.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2019, 6:53 PM

no veterans wrote this.... There is not a single serving soldier or veteran who cares that he left the academy to pursue his dreams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2019, 11:15 PM

I remember hearing about this guy's background during the coverage of the game. I thought once you attended an academy, you automatically had a military commitment.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic