Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deer Ineligible user, sir,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Deer Ineligible user, sir,

Apr 19, 2019, 2:07 PM

Last week or the week before I started a thread on refinishing the wood trim in my car. I think it ws you that commented that a laminate would be cheaper and easier than refinishing. I resisted the idea strongly because I believed the laminate in the photo was a vinyl type covering which made it unacceptable to me.

After really screwing up one of the larger pieces of trim which had the most complex shape I am going to have to try my hand as replacing veneer. I was wondering if you were suggesting replacing the wood veneer and calling it laminate. It seems by one definition 'laminate,' what I'm about to do is fairly called laminating for the original is a laminated product. It's unfinished wood with an aluminum backing and a veneer on the opposite side from the aluminum.

If that's what you were talking about I apologize for being snippy in explaining I didn't want laminate. Unless I'm drastically mistaken all auto wood trim is either a finished veneer on a backing or plastic.

If I'm not mistaken about you suggesting vinyl laminate or it wasn't you who suggested it, screw you.

J/K, I was a b-hole to whomever and I hereby apologize.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said put a wood veneer on it like is done in high end

Apr 19, 2019, 3:33 PM

yacht counters and cabinets in the salon and state rooms.

I had a Fiat Spider years ago that the dash and glove box components were made with a woodd veneer covering that was beautiful. Additionally, I have seen other high end cars with that as well, like older jags. You can't tell me that isn't a great finish:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Applying_Veneer_to_an_Automobile_Dashboard.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take a look at this site

Apr 19, 2019, 3:37 PM

http://www.hqlacquer.com/car-interior-lacquer.php

and for a Benz

Apr 19, 2019, 3:41 PM

Convertible. I'm not much on the dash covering and "A" pillar covering, but the small center dash and upper door fascia is beautiful.

Re: and for a Benz

Apr 20, 2019, 3:29 PM

I'm going to do my best to reproduce the original product. I'm not looking for an easy way out of that goal. I'll take the easiest path to reach my goal but never the easy way out. The worst I do on this project is favor tasks which I enjoy and procrastinate those I don't and I'm doing my best to fight against that attitude.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I apologized...

Apr 20, 2019, 3:06 PM [ in reply to I said put a wood veneer on it like is done in high end ]

and we're not married yet. When you put a ring on my finger...

you trying to drive it or win a concours?

Apr 19, 2019, 4:08 PM

Find a reputable shop near you that does hydro dipping. Pick whatever wood style you want. Take em your pieces and it’ll be done in a couple hours. Move on to the next project.

https://watertransferprinting.com/product-cat/hydrographic-film/wood-grain/

https://youtu.be/Vwui9O_WoKc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder how wood does with that?***

Apr 19, 2019, 4:10 PM

It would be fine....

Apr 19, 2019, 4:52 PM

they would just need to degrease, sand, and prime with an epoxy primer to seal it before dipping.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm keeping my options open.***

Apr 20, 2019, 3:19 PM [ in reply to you trying to drive it or win a concours? ]

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic