Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear Dabo (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1,291

Dear Dabo (long)

Nov 25, 2018, 11:42 PM

We love you! The entire Clemson fraternity loves you. We understand how difficult winning is. We appreciate you and the 12-0 record. We understand that, with respect to football, these are times like which we have not seen before and are probably not likely to see in future unless we can replace you - when and if you decide to retire with an equally good coach - an unlikely scenario. Notice I did not say should you decide to leave (retirement is okay, but not in the next 20 years); I hope that you never decide to leave.

Now let's talk about the fans. Some fans (luckily I am not one of them) are constantly been badgered on a daily basis by the SC fans. The SC fans constantly bring out that a) we play in a weak conference, b) that SEC is much better than the ACC, c) we are overrated etc. etc. Since we now have an elite team, and our defense is considered second to none, the fan expectations are high and get higher as the game approaches. If you don't believe me check the scores that were predicted for this game. I don't think many people thought that SC will score more than seven on us. To make matters worse, we actually start thinking that they are worse than Citadel. Simply stating, we are not very rational in our judgement of SC, and especially their QB. We actually start believing everything we state and write. So, when we are proven wrong, we feel lost (or the win feels like a loss).

Personally, as I was watching the game, I was just hoping to win. Things were not going our way on defense; they had found some wrinkles to exploit our defense. Jake was pumped up and playing a career game. Their OL was protecting him really well. Their receivers had been well-coached for this game, and SC were playing as if they had nothing to lose. In sports, any pro can beat even the number one or two seed on any given day. Which is why sometimes even Roger Federer loses in the first round of a major. In college football, especially against our rival, the expectations are so high that we tend to forget this fact. The sign of a true champion is that even on a day when his/her opponent is playing out of their mind, the champ finds a way to win - just like you did; like your coaches did; like your team did!

So, just understand that fans are being fans - especially the ones that are continuously badgered by SC folks. These fans want to gloat throughout the year on our football team - and who can blame them. So, when our defense did not perform to expectations, we gave some talking points to the opposition. And this is why SOME fans are feeling a little despondent and saying things like "it feels like a loss". But please understand, ALL fans are behind you, your coaches, and the TEAM!

We (the fans) will TRY to be like you and the team - focus on one game at a time, and not get involved in all the hype, the playoffs, Alabama etc. But, if we cannot, I know that you are too good a man to not understand.

Go Tigers - beat Pitt!!

A fan who truly admires you both as a person and a coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sir -- win Clemson earnest fan of the year award

Nov 26, 2018, 12:09 AM

https://www.watchmojo.com/video/id/11973

And yes, we are fortunate to have Coach Dabo Swinnney.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1,291
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic