Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
George Bush 41 Train
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

George Bush 41 Train

Dec 6, 2018, 10:50 PM

Thought this was pretty awesome. Have a niece at A&M that sent me better video than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0Q9RXSK2s

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember watching him come through Easley

Dec 6, 2018, 10:52 PM

on a train during the 92 Campaign. Thought it was fitting that he took one last train ride.

He was a good man. Should have had 2 terms had it not been for Ross Perot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember watching him come through Easley

Dec 7, 2018, 8:05 AM

And his now infamous"Read my lips, no new taxes" quote.

Re: I remember watching him come through Easley

Dec 7, 2018, 8:17 AM [ in reply to I remember watching him come through Easley ]

George H.W.Bush was probably my favorite President since I was old enough to vote in 1968. I even campaigned for him in his 1980 Bid against Ronald Reagan.
Was wondering as I watched the train coming into College Station how much money must have been spent on his funeral.Not that it wasn't worth the cost, but between Air Force One being loaned to the Family, the train, the Flyover at Texas A&M, things that are probably not part of the Family's expense, no telling.
The other thing I noticed, during the Ceremony at the National Cathedral was that Jimmy Carter was the oldest of the former Presidents, and for seeing some unexpected circumstances, probably the next for a State Funeral. I wonder, however, knowing his "modesty" would the Carters opt for a State Funeral in the Capital.

Re: George Bush 41 Train

Dec 6, 2018, 11:00 PM

RIP Mr. President. Thank you for all you’ve done.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 11:01 PM

Howdy Tigers...

If I haven't overstayed my welcome, I ventured over to your board as I still text with one of your fans I helped give directions to when he and his son visited during our game.

Today was a special day for ALL Americans. It's a reminder of all that binds us and we forget too easily what a man like 41 means to us. That said, Aggies were humbled, even if awkward to us at first, at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLJeC-pDM0A

For those that went to the game, you will recognize the Aggie War Hymn being played as 41 was being carried into Aggieland for the last time, off the train. It was his request... welling up a bit as I type this...

Anywho... Clemson... Aggies truly enjoyed your visit and felt a somewhat kindred spirit with y'all. Stay cool. God willing, will see y'all in Clemson next season!

Dec 7, 2018, 12:02 AM

Thank you sir for this post. You are always welcome to visit. A&M and Clemson are kindred spirits.

I remember in Feb 1970, our P/R Platoon went to Mardi Gras to march in the Krewe of Iris Parade on Saturday Morning. We were assigned to stay on the USS Intrepid--the one now in NYC--with Lord knows how may other drill teams and bands.

When we were permitted to come aboard, we entered on the Hanger Deck. Rows of folding cots covered the entire expanse of it. The petty officer assigned to us said "You are not on this deck." We followed him down two levels and we were assigned officer sleeping quarters for our stay. In the compartment adjacent to us was A&M's Drill team as well.

We found out later that the Aggies and Tigers were the only two units not on the hangar deck. That was some week.

Dec 7, 2018, 8:24 PM

Great memory! BTW - I tried giving it up vote, but sadly, I misclicked out of unfamiliarity with your board... think I hit the down instead by mistake... LOL

Though a resident of S.C., close relatives are

Dec 7, 2018, 5:21 AM [ in reply to Re: George Bush 41 Train ]

Texans, a number of whom are Aggie alumni or fans.

We communicate almost daily, and most all have been highly supportive of Clemson in our CFP appearances. Will be in Texas for an extended stay early next summer for one of my Aggie cousin's wedding.

Welcome to TNet any time!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: George Bush 41 Train ]

We are planning on spending the night in College Station on December 28 and visiting the Bush Library that day. How far is the Embassy Suites in College Station from campus and the library? Any particular place we should eat or visit in what amounts to around a half day?

Thanks, Gig'em and GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Dec 7, 2018, 10:39 PM

Howdy 1994,

That should be a fun stop. Not sure if you are going with Aggies to help show you around. Of course, it won't be anything like game weekend. Most students will be home, so campus will be dead. But it should be fun nonetheless.

Looks like Embassy Suites is on University. I think by your note you are driving in Friday and leaving Saturday morning (e.g. "what amounts to a half day").

But to be honest, given what you want to do and are thinking of walking, I highly recommend changing your stay to the new Texas A&M Hotel and Conference Center. I just checked and rooms are only $98 a night for Dec 28. Probably because it will be sparse there that week. Game weekends, rooms go for like $300-400... Check it out:
texasamhotelcc.com

it would be walking distance to everything I am mentioning below (assuming in reasonable shape or have no physical needs). A walk from the Embassy Suites to the Bush Library would be almost 3 miles (each way)!

If staying at the Texas A&M Hotel, the longest walk would be to the Bush Library, about 1.5 mile per Google Maps. But people walk that all the time on game weekend, since guest parking is at the Bush Library and the hotel is across the street from Kyle Field. If it's a nice day, it would be a nice walk. If you watched the Bush memorial, the funeral train stopped right in front of the Texas A&M Hotel.

Here's an itinerary I would consider (with links explaining more after).

Friday:

Drive straight to the Bush Library - it appears to be open only Monday - Friday (I thought it was on Saturdays as well, but maybe that's game days), 9 AM to 4:30 PM. There's no cafe in the museum, but I recommend just grabbing a bite at a sandwich shop on the drive in since you'll likely eat a heavy dinner. If you want the flexibility of maybe seeing it on Saturday, email them to be sure it's open (maybe it will be with the recent passing of 41).

(If you plan to get to town really early, Kyle Field has stadium tours at 10 and 11 AM, but you'll want to email them and double check it will be running for the holiday week. You could do that, check into the hotel, then walk over to the Bush Library if staying at the A&M Hotel.)

In the evening, visit the Bonfire Memorial, around sunset. If the weather is nice, it would be a nice walk through campus, see the Century Tree and the Academic Building on the way (domed historic building, 1914). The Bonfire Memorial is really is a nicely done memorial to the 12 students we lost in the Bonfire Tragedy in 1999, best viewed at sunset. From either hotel, it would be a mile walk. If you are planning on drinking, you could walk from the hotel to the Bonfire Memorial and Academic Building, then over to Northgate. Walking back from Northgate to either hotel will be 1.1 mile per Google Maps. If staying at the Texas A&M hotel, it's a nice walk through campus back to the hotel.

There's many selections on Northgate to eat. I don't know if you're looking for upscale. Not much upscale on Northgate other than Cafe Eccel, Northgate is mostly bar food. But if you're up for filling and good, there is Freebirds (burritos, a local favorite). Since you're only there less than 24 hours, and I am assuming you would like to walk around, best to just eat what strikes your fancy on Northgate than have me send you by car somewhere else in College Station. College Station is a small town, most is 15-20 min drive to anything, but if my idea to walk through campus and to Northgate for bars seems good, it'll be most convenient to eat on Northgate.

Bars, for sure drop into the Dixie Chicken and the Dry Bean Saloon. From there, just bar hop as you wish (they're clustered in the area).

Saturday:

Not suggesting anything since I think you are headed out.

Links...

https://www.bush41.org/

Kyle Field Tours: https://12thman.com/sports/2015/7/28/kylefieldtours.aspx

Academic Building: https://www.tamu.edu/map/?id=427#!m/120496
Century Tree: https://www.tamu.edu/traditions/aggie-culture/century-tree/

Bonfire Memorial: https://bonfire.tamu.edu/memorial/

As sense of what the Bonfire Memorial is about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWrCu_uPt8

Northgate (bars and restaurants): https://www.experiencebcs.com/things-to-do/entertainment/nightlife/

Feugo's for Saturday breakfast before heading out... https://www.fuegotortillagrill.com/gravity-landing/college-station-home/

Dec 8, 2018, 9:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. We look forward to seeing the Bush library and A&M campus. My daughter and I had planned to attend the game this year but she had a volleyball tournament. We hope to follow the College Station visit with a fun filled day in Jerry's World watching the Tigers destroy the Irish.

Thanks again, Gig'em and GO TIGERS!!!

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Dec 8, 2018, 3:22 PM

Won't be hard to root for the Tigers in that one! Next to UTex, cannot stand ND. I went to South Bend when the Aggies played them there a while back. One of the worst fan bases I've met... surprisingly...

Travel safe. I would have even offered to meet y'all there to hang, but I'll be out of the country, returning the morning of the 29th. Just in time to get over jet lag and watch you guys give ND a lesson in sportsmanship. I still have a $2 bill a Clemson fan gave me, have it on my shelf in front of the TV. Gig 'em and Go Tigers
'

Dec 28, 2018, 5:43 PM

We drove out yesterday, fifteen hours of driving. There are five of us, two CU grads and three college students. It has been a perfect trip, Aggieland is amazing and with the exception of the GHW Bush library being closed due to the idiots in DC we have had a blast. The bonfire memorial was beautiful and heartbreaking and the people have been friendly and very complementary of Clemson. One guy at the library told me that A&M has had to deal with many rotten fan bases (especially SCar) since joining the SEC but Clemson was great. I hope the A&M fans have the same experience in Clemson next year. Thanks for the suggestions, they were great. Have a safe trip home.

Gig'em and Go Tigers!!!

Chris Fowler

Dec 8, 2018, 1:46 AM [ in reply to Re: George Bush 41 Train ]

Thanks for posting. I wish I didn’t like the Aggie War Hymn as much as I do (I feel like I’m cheating). My dad in a Aggie from the class of ‘60 so it has a place in my heart. To have it played in that setting is for some reason appropriate. Thanks again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2018, 9:20 AM

Well, if it makes you feel better TX Tiger...

There's some debate whether the Aggie War Hymn was derived from a tune also used in a barbershop song, Goodbye My Coney Island Baby. It's clear the War Hymn was written in 1919, and documentation suggests the barbershop song is 1924. But as is often the case, tunes get written and borrowed for other songs sometimes before the documentation is clear, so hard to tell if both writers borrowed the tune from an earlier song to write their lyrics.

Not a lot of people know that, so I'm just letting you in on an inside secret ;)

I have worked in the rail industry

Dec 7, 2018, 8:17 AM

since I was a co-op student at Clemson. The fact that UP pulled this off is amazing in itself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang..hearing Ta&m Aggie Fight Song played live for 41 coming off the 4141 Train was Confetti-like!

Dec 7, 2018, 8:33 AM

Can you inage having TiGER RAG played for your funeral, as I witnessed for Coach Frank Howard performed by a small assemble of Tiger Band in a slow sorrowful sounding way to express the mood.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic