Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo. This is long but I hope thought provoking. I
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,823

Dabo. This is long but I hope thought provoking. I

Jun 15, 2019, 7:14 PM

preface this by saying I’m what is classified as an old coot (76 years old). I have had the same season tickets since 1966 and I rode a bus to Miami to watch us get beat by Colorado in the 1957 Orange Bowl. Obviously I grew up in the Frank Howard years. Georgia Tech beat us yearly and, on occasion, we could beat a Wally Butt’s Georgia team.

What Clemson has done the last four years could not have ever been imagined. My question is: including all prominent head coaches and, at the time, prominent assistant coaches, who have later become successful head coaches, could anyone else done what Dabo has done at Clemson? I really do not think so.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo. This is long but I hope thought provoking. I

Jun 15, 2019, 7:24 PM

Dabo always says that there is where God wants him (I agree). Other coaches would have been successful, but might not have lasted as long. BTW, you say you are an old coot. On this board, an unfortunate choice of words. Hope you mean a mature Tiger. ;)

Jun 15, 2019, 7:28 PM

"This is where" is what I should have said.

Touche on th Coot reference.***

Jun 15, 2019, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo. This is long but I hope thought provoking. I ]

Re: Touche on th Coot reference.***

Jun 15, 2019, 8:09 PM

None needed. Anyone that reads you took a bus to watch the Colorado/Clemson game in 57 knows you’re not a coot and would never question it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2019, 9:38 PM

Well said!

Jun 15, 2019, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Touche on th Coot reference.*** ]

This shows teh ages here and how generations don't understand words.

Jun 15, 2019, 8:11 PM

Congratulations on still being able to go to the games!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is long? to whom? a mayfly?

Jun 15, 2019, 8:34 PM

Re: Interesting question CU1966

Jun 15, 2019, 11:06 PM

I think Urban Meyer could have come here and had some success. However, UM seems to flame out after 5-6 years and he is a win at all cost HC and sometimes the cost is not pretty.

Re: Interesting question CU1966

Jun 16, 2019, 6:04 AM

Urban Myer did speak highly of Clemson when he was working broadcasting games on TV. He said the setting at Clemson was fantastic and said we would enjoy great success one day or something like that.

Jun 15, 2019, 11:40 PM

I don’t think there is another HC who could have achieved the success that Dabo has. Here are my reasons why:

1. Dabo’s faith in Jesus Christ and he confidence and trust that God will keep his promises. He has brought a family culture to Clemson.

2. Dabo’s vision and imagination are the major characteristics that set him apart from any other HC except maybe Lincoln Riley.

4. He is a confident yet humble person who has no problem sharing credit for success.

5. Money is not what motivates Dabo.

6. He loves his coaches and their families as well as his players. He turns boys into Really Good Successful MEN!

7. Winning is not his top priority. He wins because of how he approaches success.

8. He is a great leader of people. His personality is infectious. People want to be around him.

9. Despite what many people think Dabo is highly intelligent and well organized.

10. He is goal oriented and has his priorities in order.

I could go on but I hope the 10 reasons above support my opinion as to why only Dabo could have been so successful with the football program. As much as I respect DF I believe Dabo will go down in Clemson history as the greatest coach to ever stand on the DV sidelines as the HC. I cannot name another HC who could have taken Clemson to the top 2 out of the last 3 years. Not even Nick Saban. In fact when it’s all said and done I believe Dabo will surpass Saban as the standard set for one of if not the greatest HC in college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2019, 11:42 PM

Excellent Post CU1966!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 7:26 AM

A rags to riches story for Dabo, but he will always remember the past and why he is where he is today...his Faith. He looks at the character of the guys he recruits that just happen to to be good or great football players. He might read the stars report, but that doesn’t mean other players can’t play in a team system. Everyone is important on a team, down to the lowest one on the Tiger poll, an Dabo knows that. He embraces the least of these! I will venture to say he will be the greatest college coach of all time, Lord willing. As far as developing players for life, he is the Roy bus driver heading for home. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 7:44 AM

No other coach has ever done what Dabo has done at Clemson so the answer is no. He’s one of a kind and will go down in fbs history as one of the all time best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,823
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic