Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DV to expand????
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

DV to expand????

Feb 19, 2019, 12:48 PM

Serious question - do you think there's any realistic chance/plan to expand DV anytime in the near future? Has anyone seen/heard any plans about this?

It seems there's a need to do this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DV to expand????

Feb 19, 2019, 12:53 PM

Can’t block the Oculus view of the field

Feb 19, 2019, 1:08 PM

You trying to jinx us or something?

To expand Oculus ??***

Feb 19, 2019, 1:17 PM

Re: Can’t block the Oculus view of the field

Feb 20, 2019, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Can’t block the Oculus view of the field ]

Let’s make the Oculus taller!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2019, 10:09 AM

:)

Exactly. The Oculus could be made taller. Not a

Mar 4, 2019, 10:03 AM

problem.

Feb 20, 2019, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Can’t block the Oculus view of the field ]

Feb 20, 2019, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Can’t block the Oculus view of the field ]

Feb 19, 2019, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: DV to expand???? ]

Gonna expand trophy case

Feb 19, 2019, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: DV to expand???? ]

Wow , they got that done quick ! Mind if I get that construction firms email ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 19, 2019, 12:54 PM

Cant remember when but Dabo mention closing of the east end but leaving the hill in place would be a great expansion.

Feb 19, 2019, 12:57 PM

Why would we ever expand when we can't even fill the most important part of our stadium???

;)

Feb 19, 2019, 12:57 PM

Yes and no. They’ll add a second oval supported on pillars over the parking lot. No seating, just need the second oval space for hanging Championship Banners.

they won't let people sit on the hill anymore so i wouldn't

Feb 19, 2019, 1:05 PM

think they would have any plans to expand

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2019, 1:11 PM

Why is there a "need" to do this? We don't fill it most games anymore. Empty seats at the Coot game and at FSU last year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2019, 1:13 PM

That's not a fair assessment.

Everybody has trouble getting fans to show up for sub-par opponents.

Feb 19, 2019, 1:23 PM

It's 100% a fair assessment because it's a fact. What games did we fill it for this year (during our undefeated season)? Zero. NC State only had a few empty seats...all other games (including Scar) had a significant number of empty seats.

Feb 19, 2019, 1:29 PM

It was a joke.

Also what do empty seats at FSU have to do with Death Valley's capacity?

Also the empty seats during the Scar game can partly be attributed to scar returning tons of tickets the week of the game.

They are allotted way more tickets than any other visiting team and hardly sold any.

I think there should be penalties for that in the future and their allotment should be decreased.

But mostly.... it was a joke.

some of us got it POINT***

Mar 4, 2019, 10:12 AM

Feb 19, 2019, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: DV to expand???? ]

I’d wager that has something to do with the cost of home games increasing exponentially over the last 5-6 years. Last season, some of those home games were commanding prices similar to that of NY Giants home game tickets and for many of those in & around Clemson - it’s probably becoming, or has already become, “too expensive” to attend. Success is sweet but it sure is pricey!

Feb 19, 2019, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: DV to expand???? ]

Coot and Nole fans bought those empty seats ... then didn't have the minerals to show up for their beatings .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 19, 2019, 1:11 PM

I could see them adding more club seats in the East and West end zone, and maybe some more luxury suits. I’d personally like to see them remove all the aluminum bleachers and replace them with real stadium seats, when you pay $100 for a ticket you deserve to sit on more than just a aluminum bleacher.

Feb 19, 2019, 1:26 PM

If they were to put chair seats in they would lose 5,000 seats. They take up a lot more room than a number painted on aluminum.

I don't think losing 5000 seats would be that big of a deal***

Feb 19, 2019, 1:45 PM

Feb 19, 2019, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: DV to expand???? ]

5000? Have you done the math? That’s a huge number, but they still need to do it.

That's only like 6% of our current capacity so it sounds

Feb 19, 2019, 2:41 PM

reasonable.

Feb 19, 2019, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Re: DV to expand???? ]

Rather than expand DV how about installing hand rails in the middle of the aisles for us old geesers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2019, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Re: DV to expand???? ]

Rather than expand DV how about installing hand rails in the middle of the aisles for us old geesers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feb 19, 2019, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Re: DV to expand???? ]

What he said.......

No, I've explained this many times.

Feb 19, 2019, 1:16 PM

Fans don't appreciate the factors which keep DV at this size. We think in terms of more fans, bigger crowds with a competitive attitude toward other stadiums and other fans. That's not economical.

The upper deck corners are bare by design. The applicable economic principle is that having an apartment complex which is constantly at full occupation does not maximize income. Income is maxed out when a few apartments are empty due to the balance between rental price and demand.

Those seats could be filled if ticket prices were lower. If folks aren't filling those seats there will be more empty seats if we add seats to the stadium. Either that or we will be forced to lower ticket prices.

TL;DR

If demand is for 20 acres of pot (folks is broke and that's all brothars is buyin') and you grow 40 acres of pot then you lower the price of pot (folks is still broke) and work your asz off to grow it. You defeat your goal of making the most money with the least amount of work which means you can't enjoy your own produce (stay blistered all day everyday).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, I've explained this many times.

Feb 19, 2019, 1:27 PM

Very interesting economic evaluation. And pretty spot on.

Except, I don’t expect them to add more upper deck poor seats that we already don’t fill.

I expect them to add a level to the WEZ or fill in over the hill, and make it premium priced seating. That is already a trend in Clemson from event seating to restaurants to “condo-tels”, and they’re selling really well.

Well, if every student got a ticket like it

Feb 19, 2019, 1:41 PM

was in the late 70’s/early 80’s, that is another 10,000 plus seats filled.

Dabo will eventually put his expansion on DV, and it will be an upper deck in the east end zone over Williamson Road, much like the North side upper deck.

Not really, if the only seats they add are premium

Feb 19, 2019, 1:32 PM [ in reply to No, I've explained this many times. ]

That would have zero impact on the seats in the upper deck corners of both sides of the stadium because the fans buying the premium seats would never sit in the upper corners anyway. Clemson currently has a demand for more premium seating and I can either see them adding additional premium seating through construction and added seats or by converting existing reserve seating to premium seating. Clemson needs to make those seats in the upper deck more attracted to the fans by adding the real stadium seat instead of aluminum bleachers and putting an overhang on top of the stadium to shade those sitting up there and adding additional concessions and restrooms in the upper deck, they also need to improve the replace screens in the stadium so that the fan sitting up there will have a better view of the action .

Re: Not really, if the only seats they add are premium

Feb 19, 2019, 1:41 PM

Glad I’m not the only one who saw the “premium seating” angle and how it would affect the economics of it.

The trickle down from it is actually brilliant.

- Add premium seating & charge more
- Get net new big donors
- Improve seating for smaller donors as they benefit from seating assignment changes. (Especially a benefit as they’re getting frustrated about worse parking assignments due to new facilities.)
- Cheap corners are still open for incremental revenue in true sellout/capacity games

Re: Not really, if the only seats they add are premium

Feb 19, 2019, 1:58 PM

The revenue numbers can be huge they can charge a $1500 PSL a year for those seats. If they had 7000 club seats and charge $1500 per seat for a PSL that’s $10,000,500 extra year in revenue. I can see Clemson adding 7 to 10,000 club seats over the next few years even if it causes the loss of some existing reserve seats .

You're working off what is perhaps a false assumption.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Not really, if the only seats they add are premium ]

Let's say that 10K seats are created. Pick your number here it doesn't matter. You're assuming that there isn't 10K people in the upper deck that can afford premium seats. I don't believe that to be true.

Those who now sit in the upper decks will buy premium seats as they become available. That will leave the upper decks even more bare unless the price is dropped. As we have it now there are no such things as cheap seats. They are cheap only relative to the cost differential between them and the lower decks.

I learned this stuff from three years of spending all my electives credits in economics while at Clemson. I didn't make any of this up. These statement and models fit all the economic models but one and I'll share it now.

There is a snob effect which encompasses those who will pay more so they can brag about paying more to friends. I doubt that plays much of a factor when it comes to this but if you want to work it into the model help yourself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adding 10K but losing 5K to necessary room for stadium seats

Feb 20, 2019, 8:35 AM

I think that would balance out well... Everybody gets an upgrade.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, I've explained this many times.

Feb 19, 2019, 6:06 PM [ in reply to No, I've explained this many times. ]

were you my econ prof in 1986? Every one of his test questions was about pot...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I was at Clemson as a student from 85-88.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:53 PM

I had a ton of economics classes because I love the subject because it made economic sense to me. I took everything from Econ 101 to money and banking. I'm sure I ran across the pot prof at one time or another but all I recall was widgets.

Maybe one day but for 99% of the games, tickets

Feb 19, 2019, 1:22 PM

are easy to find at face value.

The one exception I’ve seen was FSU in 2013.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHY DO WE NEED TO EXPAND. THE VALLEY IS RARELY FULL EVEN AFTER HOW GOOD WE HAVE BEEN.

User Logo
Tiger77
110%er [5670]
TigerPulse: 89%
DV to expand????
Posted: Feb 19, 2019 12:48 PM

Serious question - do you think there's any realistic chance/plan to expand DV anytime in the near future? Has anyone seen/heard any plans about this?

It seems there's a need to do this.

I heard they were adding bandwagons all over the place.***

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fill in The Hill. Leave a strip for the team to run down.

Feb 19, 2019, 1:28 PM

I mean, the real Hill is dead anyhow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to get largest Daktronics HD-X LED scoreboard

Feb 19, 2019, 1:50 PM

?? Well?

I always wanted to see DV with a seating capacity of

Feb 19, 2019, 2:12 PM

85,000-88,000 but let's be realistic here. Sometimes we have trouble peeking the 83,000 mark on most games. Clemson is still a small university compared to the big stadium schools. Perhaps a few hundred seats on the EZ corners but I do not see a need for it.
I am all for a remodel of the EZ/ The hill area with a bigger video screen and maybe something like version of a Chop House at SunTrust Park.

Feb 19, 2019, 2:27 PM

I would be ok with an EastZone similar to USC's arches with an Upper Deck pedestrian bridge along the top.

Feb 19, 2019, 2:30 PM
USC Arches.jpg(179.1 K)

With some tweaking something similar could work with the hill, while still allowing Death Valley to be visible from the outside.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:22 PM

I don't know what your background is, but mine is 50 years of love for everything Clemson and hate for ANYTHING cootish. I don't want anything even remotely similar to what the coots have.

That's the real USC...Southern Cal, not SCar......***

Feb 20, 2019, 8:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2019, 2:50 PM

Make the stadium nicer; don’t expand. Fill the seats we have. Start a sell-out streak like Nebraska keeps alive.

Feb 19, 2019, 4:25 PM

Not sure about expansion but there have been talks and possibly some renderings for enclosing the east end of the stadium. I don't like the thought of it but if it's already talked about I'm sure there's a plan in place to get something moving. I think the stadium is perfect the way it is they don't need 100,000 people in there!

Expand = Supply and Demand

Feb 20, 2019, 8:10 AM

If there is a demand and the seat supply is fixed, the prices will continue to rise eventually pricing itself out of business or it becomes a niche market. Thus, leading to less/fixed demand and less/fixed income (stale).

Increase seat supply and prices will go down.
Over time this will equate to more demand leading to increased ancillary income for local business and other university support organizations. Yes, there are costs associated with expansion but as the old saying goes, "you have to spend money, to make money".

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EMPTY SEATS EXPLAINED

Mar 4, 2019, 9:00 AM

Before Clemson started to win championships on a regular, the stadium was packed out to the max capacity allowed. Once Clemson began winning games, the cost of tickets rose significantly leaving many people unable to afford tickets. Factor in the down season of many opponents making for a boring game and you end up with empty seats. I have my 6 season tickets and I at least donate mine if I cannot attend, but I've noticed a sharp increase in price from 2013 to present. This is my belief as to why the attendance has slumped some. You can also expect future increases if the Tigers continue gaining success.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Mar 4, 2019, 10:15 AM

We haven’t completely filled the stadium in a while. Even with our great runs the corners in the upper decks have been empty and even some lower bowl seats empty. There may be a few that spend ridiculous money expanding but attendance to gameshas been dropping steadily. With every game on tv people are choosing to save money watch from the confines of their homes or bars. It may come a time that we actually decrease the number of seats making them wider, chair backs etc. Also the price of IPTAY and decent parking is already past most fans budgets

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic