Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
D Day landing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

D Day landing

Jun 6, 2019, 6:03 PM

My dad landed at Omaha beach on June 10 as part of the 165th Engineers. His battalion was later assigned directly to Patton"s HQ and spent the war building bridges across France and Germany.

He built a bridge under cover of darkness one night. Next morning Patton arrived in first tank, inspected the bridge, paid compliments, and got back in tank to head toward Paris. Patton was everything everyone says about him. A real character.

Dad was guarding a bridge one rainy day when Ike's black Packard drove up. Ike rolled down the window and asked him how it was doing. My dad said, "They tell me war is hell sir, so all things considered I must be doing well." Ike laughed and ask if they were getting food and dry clothes. Ike said "you boys are moving so fast we are struggling to keep supplies moving to keep up".

Dad then went on later to open the door at Dakow concentration camp to free the remaining Jewish prisoners there. He never told me about that until I was like 40 and living in Germany (1992). He came to visit me in Germany and started to open up more. I know why he never told. It was too gruesome.

We lost Dad in 2011, but I can't describe how proud I am of him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D Day landing

Jun 6, 2019, 7:17 PM

I know what you mean about not opening up. My father made three D-Day landings, North Africa, Sicily and Anzio. He seldom talked about the war, particularly Anzio.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 7:17 PM

I'm proud of him too and don't even know you. Most of the WWII veterans I knew would not talk about it either. I think they saw too much death everywhere they went. Even the ones who are surviving today get choked up talking about it. There will never be another generation as brave as that generation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 8:13 PM

Thanks to all your family service, very proud of them all. Served in the Old Guard during the VN war as a casket bearer in Arlington, buried a lot of great men. Have really enjoyed all the celebrations today honoring all our veterans

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 10:06 PM

thank you for sharing. god bless

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While stationed in Germany 50 years ago, I visited that

Jun 7, 2019, 4:39 AM

concentration camp outside of Munich, as well as Patton's gravesite in the American Military Cemetery near Hamm, Luxembourg.

Both were humbling and moving experiences, but, perhaps, the visit to Colleville-sur-Mer in Normandy has remained steadfast all these years. There the cemetery faces westward toward the United States, and I couldn't help but seeing those thousands of silent eyes staring homeward.

The thoughts of each oft times still brings tears.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D Day landing- almost all of them

Jun 7, 2019, 7:54 AM

did amazing brave deeds in the war but wont talk about them or the horrors they saw. Most were so young when they did this too. Just an amazing group of people and I am sad every time I hear of one of them passing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic