Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Count Chocula is full of it...again (I hope!)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Count Chocula is full of it...again (I hope!)

Feb 21, 2019, 3:32 PM

Kiper's takes kill me sometimes.

By his own admission, Renfrow compares to "Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, and Adam Humphries"...all guys who started countless games in the NFL for years.

I actually think Renfrow is better than any of those guys coming out of college, by the way. He was just embarrassing people at the Senior Bowl, nobody could remotely cover him all week. But whatever, I agree. Seems accurate.

And then Kiper goes on to say Renfrow probably won't be drafted.

This makes me groan, because it means either Kiper is a moron, or the entire NFL is. Yes, yes, yes, we know how much NFL scouts love their measuring tapes and stopwatches, and we know Renfrow won't measure well in those regards...but he isn't what he is because he runs a 4.3 or because he can leap over the moon, he is what he is because of his letter-perfect routes and ability to fake whoever's covering him right out of his jock. You could literally target Renfrow 20 times a game at 10 yards a pop if you cared to and he'd get you your 200 yards, and there's very little anybody could do about it.

That's an "undrafted rookie free agent"? Really? Where is it written that you aren't allowed to draft arguably the most productive receiver in the draft because he doesn't run fast? Are NFL scouts really that unable to adapt to the obvious?

On third down Renfrow pretty much automatic. Anybody looking for Clemson's Secret Sauce ever since Dabo took over need look no further than our slots. Starting with the original Dabo #13, Curtis Baham, we have had a slot who was uncoverable on third downs ever since Dabo got here...and not coincidentally, throughout all that time, Clemson has had the ability to move the chains virtually at will. That's been something we can do, throughout Dabo's tenure, that nobody could take away - nobody.

And whatever his measureables, Renfrow's been the best #13 Clemson has ever had. Which is saying something, when you consider the likes of Baham, Humphries, and Tyler Grisham....

So how on Earth is that a "rookie free agent?" Deshaun Watson is literally going to scream out loud every Houston draft pick that goes by that isn't Renfrow.

I don't get it. I really don't.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Count Chocula is full of it...again (I hope!)

Feb 21, 2019, 3:39 PM

Would love to see the Texans grab him in a later round. Mitch Hyatt at some point also. It's time to make the Texans solid orange!

as much as I hate to say it...

Feb 21, 2019, 4:16 PM

i think the clemson player run for Houston is coming to an end. The secret to Houston's Clemson and South Carolina picks have always been SC GRAD Bob McNair. With him passing away i think you won't see that much anymore. That State bias probably will fall away.

Uhhh...Jamey Rootes***

Feb 21, 2019, 10:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly--Jamey Rootes******

Feb 22, 2019, 8:10 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Wasn't Baham #18?

Feb 21, 2019, 3:42 PM

Dont remember him making much of an impact

CB was 18 and he did have an impact, don't know how you

Feb 21, 2019, 3:55 PM

missed it

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2019, 3:43 PM

No way he gets overlooked. NFL has got to know that Superman went up against some pretty darn good backers in his tenure. Backers that are in the NFL.

Agree, turn Texans Orange!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2019, 3:46 PM

I'm going with Kiper is a moron.

^^^^Ding ding ding***

Feb 21, 2019, 4:06 PM

It would actually benefit him if he wasn't drafted, then he

Feb 21, 2019, 3:58 PM

could find a team that he fits better than having to go to a team without a stable QB situation

exactly - better to be a coveted non draftee than later rd.

Feb 21, 2019, 7:02 PM

he can pick and choose.

Feb 21, 2019, 3:59 PM

+1.. For Count Chocula!!!!...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Kiper say that in the article? Nikki

Feb 21, 2019, 4:22 PM

Hood implied it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of those names you reference went undrafted

Feb 21, 2019, 4:29 PM

Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, and Adam Humphries. They have started games in the NFL, but all went undrafted (consistent with Kiper's take).

Based on skills catching and cutting, I'm hoping Renfrow is a late round pickup. His biggest challenge will be beefing up. Not sure how much more muscle he can effectively add.

Gotta get him some Julian Edelman guns

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All of those names you reference went undrafted

Feb 21, 2019, 8:32 PM

I agree on his bulking being a priority. My hope is he can bulk and not lose speed and agility. That slot position is a thing of beauty the way NE runs their offense and I have thought for three years HR is the PERFECT heir to that position for them or the like. His mind is his greatest weapon against his opponents because the man can just out maneuver any opposition. Smart, smart player. Here’s to his being able to make the transition and transform his body to compete in a relentless league. I think he is gonna kill it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, he sure ain't no Capt. Crunch for sure

Feb 21, 2019, 4:50 PM

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

It's not just Kiper - even though he may epitomize

Feb 21, 2019, 5:14 PM

it. I remember watching one of the college All-Star games 10-15 years ago. There was a RB (can't remember his name) that had racked up ridiculous numbers in college (may have been from a small school?). Apparently he had really been impressive in practice that week, and in the game, nobody could stop him - he ran wild. Breaking tackles, making guys miss, etc.. He was, quite simply, a tremendous football player. The announcers, however, went on and on how it was unfortunate that this kid who was so good at playing football, would be a long shot in the NFL because he didn't have the measureables. He was a little undersized, didn't have 4.4 speed, etc.. One can only imagine how many good or great football players don't actually get to play football in the NFL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 21, 2019, 6:55 PM

Spot on Quozzel - I've re-watched so many CLEMSON games, and over and over, Renfrow is open so often even though he is not the preferred target. But, he could be, and you're spot on, he could receive 200 yards / game. And how often do teams have to account for him and basically double-cover him, that allows other receivers to get man coverage?

Kiper has been so wrong so many times, it's amazing that anyone listens to him. He dances like a puppet when he misses so many on draft day.

Feb 21, 2019, 7:01 PM

To me, Renfrow is closer to Braxton Berrios (Miami) who now plays slot for Patriots, but BETTER than everything Braxton did. Watch some of Miami games and see the comparison of the two. I think HR is closer to him than any of those listed. JMO.

I'm not sure if BB was drafted or just picked up later by NE. I don't keep up with that.

Renfrows only issue is putting on enough mass.

Feb 21, 2019, 7:24 PM

As a slot guy, it helps to built like Edleman. Those guys take a beating.

Other than that, he's good to go and will absolutely be drafted.

Let looks at this without orange glasses

Feb 21, 2019, 8:06 PM

Hunter is small, with little bulk and small hands. He’s more quick than fast. He regressed a bit in production during his senior season. Good hands, but tends to catch with his body.

Good body control. Great route runner/change of direction. Very smart player. Small, but physical. Good blocker. Max effort player.

Overall, Hunter will struggle vs press coverage. His lack of speed means he is likely a possession receiver. He will need to play with an accurate QB because his catch radius is smaller than most. High effort and smart WR who will contribute on special teams by competing for the 4/5th WR spot. (You don’t waste a high pick on 4-5 WR.)

It’s not that Hunter can’t make in the NFL. It’s that when you start to compare players you have to honest. Where does Hunter rank in the Clemson family? Would any of us take him over Nuk? Sammy? Mike Williams? How about Martavis or even Charone Peake? Deon Cain?

You might feel self-righteous saying “I’d take 11 Hunter Fenfrows”, but I’d take 11 Deon Cains and whip your butt. Deon Cain is bigger, stronger, and faster(more productive.)

And I’m not sure why Clemson people get so butthurt when scouts and draft “experts” express their honest opinions. Tajh was a system QB who never even made a practice squad, but some of y’all decried the NFL as somehow being bias against the young man.

You aren't comparing apples to apples. Those are wideouts

Feb 21, 2019, 9:19 PM

Renfrow is a slot receiver, two different things. And Renfrow catches mostly with his body? You better go back and look at his film...plenty of "great hands" catches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let looks at this without orange glasses

Feb 21, 2019, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Let looks at this without orange glasses ]

I’m sorry, that is just a terrible assessment and worse comparison.

Feb 22, 2019, 8:05 AM

I'll add to CM's point, the $$ between late draft pick and unsigned free agent is negligible. We also have keep in mind, teams draft for need and how many teams need a player with HR's skill set. Some team is going to get a GREAT player, but it COULD be late.

As to the main point, yes Mel the hair Kiper is an idiot. By the way, how often do you think he changes the oil in his hair, every 5K miles ?

Feb 22, 2019, 8:17 AM

Free agent or possible CFL candidate. He is going somewhere and whoever signs him won’t regret it.

Go Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic